Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

MaxieSatan posted:

The main issue I see happening with dynamic tradeflow is "all trade gets stuck in Anatolia and China from day one."

I can maybe see something like "after Global Trade starts up, end nodes are the three nodes with the highest trade power in the world," but tbh that's getting weird and specific enough that I don't know if it would really add much.

e: Also, it's worth remembering that what trade flow actually models is more "where desired goods are going." Within that model, I feel like changing the flow would be less a question of "Indonesia is really good at trade" and more a question of "everyone in Indonesia really wants Danish textiles, I guess?"

Hmm. That's not a bad idea. Maybe re-evaluating the nodes and routes at the end of each Age? Could still be gamed, but people would mostly still do and grab what they could along the way as they always do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Sephyr posted:

Hmm. That's not a bad idea. Maybe re-evaluating the nodes and routes at the end of each Age? Could still be gamed, but people would mostly still do and grab what they could along the way as they always do.

I could see that working. You'd have to give it fiddly conditions to avoid a snowball effect without making it so no trade goes to Europe bc all GPs are "producers," though.

Maybe things like "this node has the highest total Development in the world so they need lots of lumber and food," "this country has a high Military score so they need iron and copper," etc. Conditions that could be specifically targeted to undercut others, but that wouldn't make trade completely wonky of its own accord.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Imperator Rome and the upcoming revamp of Stellaris both have some sort of dynamic trade system so I guess whatever Eu5 has will probably develop based on how those games handle it.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

No screenshot? For shame.

Sorry, I was going to but then I forgot.

Presenting Japanese Columbia, right next to California and Portuguese Snake River.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Maybe look up British Columbia on the map to learn why Japanese Columbia makes sense there.

Although on second thought, Japan probably wouldn't give a poo poo about Columbus. Still, for the most part, "Columbia" makes sense as a place name there.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 21, 2018

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Rate my Spain. I started as Aragon, and got a lucky PU over France in the late 1400's. I started integrating in the mid 1500's, and it took me almost 80 years. I'm not sure if it would have been quicker conquering my way. I know I probably squandered the opportunity of having France as my constant ally, but I'm still pretty new to the game so I'm probably acting too cautiously. In the early 1500's, I thought Muscovy was going to create Russia soon. I look again 20 years later and the entire region is in chaos. Muscovy is a little bit left up north, with all of it's former vassals now free states. The Ottomans have been tearing the Mamluks apart, and I know I'm going to be fighting them soon.

Right now, I'm pondering going for the Roman empire achievement - I should probably go after the Ottoman's sooner rather than later, when they start getting really powerful.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Take every Berber port to stop them from raiding your coasts

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Ottomans start getting really powerful on day 1 and they never stop. If you can't strangle them in the crib (which is no small task either) you're going to have a hell of a time dealing with them later.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Nah it's easy, all you need to do is get a bunch of your allies in the war, and watch as they suicide into massive army and navy (read: galley) doomstacks until ottos separate peace them out, taking your allies' money and possibly their provinces too.

Hopefully they can at least cause enough of a distraction to pave the way for you to make a dent in them. Probably not though. And it also assumes anyone who could actually help in the war and also hates the ottos hasn't decided to rival you yet.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Playing as Moldavia, it's 1456 and we've joined the Hungarians and Austrians in repelling the Ottoman invasion of panonia.
Things are going well, Constantinople is occupied, the warscore is 33%.

And then the Austrians decide to just hang around in North Italy for some reason. 30K men just standing around in neutral Milanese territory.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Those pesky Milanese could make their move at any moment! The second they become an ambrosian republic, you'll be sorry!

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
balkans: the armies of the sultan are here
austria: mehmed we should help :P
balkans: ...
balkans: austria i'm dying

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Lucas Archer posted:

Right now, I'm pondering going for the Roman empire achievement - I should probably go after the Ottoman's sooner rather than later, when they start getting really powerful.

If you can Ally that giant Commonwealth the 2 of you be able to take out the Ottomans 'easily' since they have roughly 1 million morale

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Firebatgyro posted:

If you can Ally that giant Commonwealth the 2 of you be able to take out the Ottomans 'easily' since they have roughly 1 million morale

Beating the Otts early requires the morale high ground, I see.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

The Ottomans start getting really powerful on day 1 and they never stop. If you can't strangle them in the crib (which is no small task either) you're going to have a hell of a time dealing with them later.

My recipe for early Otto nuking involves waiting until they are at war far away (Mamluks of Iraq) to unleash a triple-alliance war on them, preferably involving Muscovy/Russia. They will usually beat enemy stacks, but will be spread thin, and with luck you can take all their European provinces and park on the Contantinople/Edirne crossings, where even they will take massive penalties if they try to attack you. Wait for warscore to tick up and don't be too greedy in the first couple of wars, unless you are Austria or Poland and can gain a lot by gulping down their provinces directly.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

StealthArcher posted:

Beating the Otts early requires the morale high ground, I see.

This post is a problem I can't live with. And I'm loving dead.
- Norman "Sweetheart" Rockwel

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Unfortunately the Commonwealth hates me and has had me rivaled for about 75 years now. I’m hoping the Ottos and the Commonwealth will get into a hellwar so I can invade from the west. I have the biggest navy in the world, save Ming, so I should be able to hold the straights if I’m able to rush Constantinople.

I did discover it is ill-advised to conquer Rome as a Catholic. The diplomatic reputation hit was enough to extend the integration of France for over 70 years. I ended up just giving the Papal State Rome back for free.

Over in the America’s, I’ve been locking down the Caribbean and Central America. I was really cautious on declaring against Inca, because they had like 90k guys. It wasn’t until I actually went to war did I realize how big of a difference 7 levels of military tech makes. One or two more wars and I should own all of South America except for a bit of British Brazil. They’re currently my allies, but I think that’ll have to change soon. Austria has been my one steadfast friend through the entire game so far. I keep rooting for them to get more powerful to help me take on the Ottos, but no dice. They’ve claimed Hungary’s throne 3 times now, bit nothing has ever come of it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Lucas Archer posted:

Unfortunately the Commonwealth hates me and has had me rivaled for about 75 years now. I’m hoping the Ottos and the Commonwealth will get into a hellwar so I can invade from the west. I have the biggest navy in the world, save Ming, so I should be able to hold the straights if I’m able to rush Constantinople.

I did discover it is ill-advised to conquer Rome as a Catholic. The diplomatic reputation hit was enough to extend the integration of France for over 70 years. I ended up just giving the Papal State Rome back for free.

Over in the America’s, I’ve been locking down the Caribbean and Central America. I was really cautious on declaring against Inca, because they had like 90k guys. It wasn’t until I actually went to war did I realize how big of a difference 7 levels of military tech makes. One or two more wars and I should own all of South America except for a bit of British Brazil. They’re currently my allies, but I think that’ll have to change soon. Austria has been my one steadfast friend through the entire game so far. I keep rooting for them to get more powerful to help me take on the Ottos, but no dice. They’ve claimed Hungary’s throne 3 times now, bit nothing has ever come of it.

Sometimes it's good to feed your allies a bit if they are not growing fast enough. Whenever you are at war together and one of the enemies has a border with your ally, give him a province or two in the peace. Heck, sometimes even start a war to help them.

I remember once as Russia, while allied with Austria, noticing that the Habsburgs were still with their original borders way into the 1550s, and then declared a war on Genoa just so I could feed bits of Venice to my austrian friends. After that they started growing properly.

And while swallowing France is a big deal, takes a while and costs a lot of diplo points, I always find it worthwhile. It's a heavy vassal, always hovering close to disloyal, especially if you get a Backward/Tyrant monarch, or one of those events that increase liberty desire, and then you are just a single powerful rival supporting them from a hellwar with two world powers, minimum. I much prefer smaller vassals that you can feed without fear for the long term.

Question: Do siege pips do anything for admirals?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They increase blockade efficiency

e: actually not quite. Wiki: “each siege pip adds +10% to the amount of development the fleet can effectively blockade”.

skasion fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 22, 2018

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

trapped mouse posted:

Nah it's easy, all you need to do is get a bunch of your allies in the war, and watch as they suicide into massive army and navy (read: galley) doomstacks until ottos separate peace them out, taking your allies' money and possibly their provinces too.

Hopefully they can at least cause enough of a distraction to pave the way for you to make a dent in them. Probably not though. And it also assumes anyone who could actually help in the war and also hates the ottos hasn't decided to rival you yet.

If you're late into the game and aren't bigger than the Ottomans and can't even 1v1 them, then you've been expanding way too slow.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Those pesky Milanese could make their move at any moment! The second they become an ambrosian republic, you'll be sorry!

(6/6/6 ruler with 100 republican tradition)

which later turned into

(check dem morale modifiers)

:smug:

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you're late into the game and aren't bigger than the Ottomans and can't even 1v1 them, then you've been expanding way too slow.

What’s your definition of late in the game? I’m guessing around 1700, or whenever you unlock the imperialism cb? The Ottos chose quantity as one of their ideas, so they outnumber me by about 100k troops if we’re both at the limit. I think that’s right, I’m at work so I can’t check

All I really want to do now is finish eating Burgundy, then go for Greece.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Sephyr posted:

Sometimes it's good to feed your allies a bit if they are not growing fast enough. Whenever you are at war together and one of the enemies has a border with your ally, give him a province or two in the peace. Heck, sometimes even start a war to help them.

Don't do this. If you have to give land to your allies because you promised them some, or if you need to give them some land to build favors thats fine, but don't just randomly give away warscore.

You are going to get way more effective use out of those provinces and 90% of the time you are going to end up fighting that ally at some point in the future anyway.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Firebatgyro posted:

Don't do this. If you have to give land to your allies because you promised them some, or if you need to give them some land to build favors thats fine, but don't just randomly give away warscore.

You are going to get way more effective use out of those provinces and 90% of the time you are going to end up fighting that ally at some point in the future anyway.

It can be a good idea if you're high on AE/overextension, but otherwise yeah, only give what you promise. Hell, half the time don't even give the greedy bastards that.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Firebatgyro posted:

Can confirm. Beat the Ottomans and figured I'd cut them down to size by making them return some cores. Turns out that didn't give the Ottos any truces with the recipients, who were invaded in turn and order right after the war.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
At least it keeps them busy for a while. In my current game I was drawn into a war with England, who had conquered all of Ireland save a single northern county. After sinking their fleet and occupying London, I forced them to release almost all of Ireland in its component countries. England had to spend the next half century retaking all the territory, so I could safely ignore them for a while. I actually allied them near the end of their reconquest, and helped them take one of the countries I originally forced them to release.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

So as Austria, what’s the best way to tell the Protestants to please go away?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

guns for tits posted:

So as Austria, what’s the best way to tell the Protestants to please go away?

Win the league war.

Yes, I do write "please" with the blood of hundreds of thousands of dead Germans, why do you ask?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Better yet, psychopathically crack down on heresy the moment it begins with the force of a thousand suns so the league war never fires.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

skasion posted:

Better yet, psychopathically crack down on heresy the moment it begins with the force of a thousand suns so the league war never fires.

This. It's a pain the rear end chasing down reformation centers as they spawn and wiping them out, but you'll feel better for it. Even getting two centers per wave will do a lot to make the Reformation sputter out and lose gas that much sooner.

As for giving away enemy provinces, I still think it can help. Sure, not to the detriment of your own growth, but if you are risking too much AE or have already gotten whatever is geographically defensible/can be cored? I still stand by it. And giving the ottos reasons to attack my big allies is a good thing, not bad, as I want to create more chances to beat on them with my pals. Not to mention that it's better if they are waging war to re-conquer their old digs than acquiring new ones from weaker countries out there.

Nothing worse than gearing up for a war with Ottos and find that your big allies won't join because of High Opinion Toward Enemy. Some nice border tension goes a way to keeping them growling at each other.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Bohemia lost a war to the ottomans and gave them some of their Hungarian territory. I then conquered it from the ottos and gave it to Moldavia once the bohemian core wore off. Bohemia, who was emperor, unlawful territories Moldavia who returned it to the ottos :shepface:

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Lucas Archer posted:

What’s your definition of late in the game? I’m guessing around 1700, or whenever you unlock the imperialism cb? The Ottos chose quantity as one of their ideas, so they outnumber me by about 100k troops if we’re both at the limit. I think that’s right, I’m at work so I can’t check

Keep in mind that a smaller force can beat a larger one if your morale, artillery:infantry ratio, infantry quality, etc. are sufficiently bullshit. Quantity allows you to recover from losses, but if you can outmaneuver the AI, you can still keep beating their face in again and again.

Easier said than done in some cases, mind, so take that with a grain of salt. I'm just sayin

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-16th-of-october-2018.1124066/

I don't think anyone has mentioned last week's DD, but I'm extremely glad that they're addressing some of the issues that I've been griping about for months if not years. No more chasing AI armies through other countries or uncolonized territory. No more of the AI throwing everything it has at a single level 2 fort in Australia.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just go back a couple patches to when the Protestants barely came and reformed was almost always a no show

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
When I saw "scriptable ai" I for a moment hoped I could tell my armies to do things on their own :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-16th-of-october-2018.1124066/

I don't think anyone has mentioned last week's DD, but I'm extremely glad that they're addressing some of the issues that I've been griping about for months if not years. No more chasing AI armies through other countries or uncolonized territory. No more of the AI throwing everything it has at a single level 2 fort in Australia.
:woop: This is amazing, I may actually play the game again!

Senor Dog posted:

Bohemia lost a war to the ottomans and gave them some of their Hungarian territory. I then conquered it from the ottos and gave it to Moldavia once the bohemian core wore off. Bohemia, who was emperor, unlawful territories Moldavia who returned it to the ottos :shepface:
Wow that Emperor sure has his priorities straight!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

One of the other really big changes I'd like to see made to the AI is for them to recognize the threat unoccupied provinces pose. I see in AI vs AI wars all the time the aggressor take down the defender's army, then siege their capital and only their capital. In a notable war that I witnessed yesterday, the defender (a three province minor with no forts aside from capital fort) was allowed to recruit a bunch of mercs, who they then marched up to the attacker's capital. the attacker broke siege to defeat them, at which point georgia declared war on the defender too and swooped in to occupy all the territory themselves. Nice. All of this could've been avoided if the AI simply knew that there were no remaining enemy armies to threaten them and they were safe to split their main siege stack to also occupy the two unfortified provinces. This sort of recognition and behavior could prevent a lot of wonkiness in AI wars.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I'd like to see a "no access" modifier for white peaces, so I can peace out that lovely OPM on the other continent without waiting for 5 years.
I'd also like to see Trade Companies fixed since they are kinda silly now. Oh you're capital is in Europe, congratulations on your free super territories in Asia and Africa, they come with free merchants and extra building slots, don't worry about your state cap!
I am playing Delhi right now, my current focus is snaking my way to the European continent to move capital so I get free super territories.

Here's some hotfixes until they have time to properly address this stuff:
- India and Oceania are now not the same continent anymore for TC purposes
- Only the coastal provinces in India are TCs, not the whole continent (I get it's historical for India to be all TCs while in Africa it's only the coast, but it's bad for game play)

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

I feel like TCs are kind of balanced by the fact that buying them is comically expensive and nobody is willing to sell more than one in a 500-mile radius to the same person. Like, if you want to get any actual use out of them, you're going to need to use purchased provinces as a stepping stone for drawn-out wars in India or against Kilwa.

Also, it's worth keeping in mind that half the special Trade Company buildings are there entirely to, like... partly mitigate the fact that you're giving up all your taxes and manpower without them? I think it's fine, honestly.

(That said, you should be able to establish trade company regions in Europe if you're based in Asia, imo. Partly for balance reasons, mostly because it's funny to me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

I had heard that centers of reformation don't get religious zeal, but the first reformed center in my game has it.

I took the province and am considering full-annexing the country whose core it is (the palatinate), giving all his other cores to a subject, releasing the center of reformation as a OPM vassal, and forcing religion to shut it down. Will that even work? Is there an easier/better way?