Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

I was just thinking about Super Shadow the other day. I always wondered if they were a joke, soneone with mental problems or just a fan way to obsessed with star wars and felt they could extrude influence on it by force of will. I remember they claimed to be the one making the TV show.

I've heard he actually had a bit of a breakdown when Revenge of the Sith came out and proved that virtually every single one of his predictions/scoops/leaks was wrong. Whether that's true or not isn't clear to me - it was almost 15 years ago - but if he wasn't a very committed troll then he sincerely seemed to believe that he had an in with George Lucas.

Likewise, I've heard that one of the reasons Mike Zeroh was so harsh on Last Jedi (PLEASE NOTE: the operative phrase being "one of" - I'm sure he had normal reasons as well) was that it didn't match any of his Exclusive Insider Leaks. Again, I'm sure he may have disliked the movie for normal reasons as well but when you make your entire YouTube career off claiming that you've got an inside track and you're proved completely wrong it's probably annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

:bisonyes:

Now all he needs is a dinosaur to ride...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've heard he actually had a bit of a breakdown when Revenge of the Sith came out and proved that virtually every single one of his predictions/scoops/leaks was wrong. Whether that's true or not isn't clear to me - it was almost 15 years ago - but if he wasn't a very committed troll then he sincerely seemed to believe that he had an in with George Lucas.

Likewise, I've heard that one of the reasons Mike Zeroh was so harsh on Last Jedi (PLEASE NOTE: the operative phrase being "one of" - I'm sure he had normal reasons as well) was that it didn't match any of his Exclusive Insider Leaks. Again, I'm sure he may have disliked the movie for normal reasons as well but when you make your entire YouTube career off claiming that you've got an inside track and you're proved completely wrong it's probably annoying.

I remember he claimed he was in the 501st Attack on the Temple scene, but people would point out that the Jedi you see are credited actors. But yea he did kinda vanish after then, or at least became much more active.

There was someone who deleted their channel because none of their youtube theory videos about Snoke and other TLJ topics were correct, and they blamed the movie for ruining their channel. It was pretty much just rumors and fan speculation passed off as inside info, I wonder if that was Zeroh's channel.

But then a lot of people put a lot of water in the Snoke is Mace Windu bucket for some reason.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

There was someone who deleted their channel because none of their youtube theory videos about Snoke and other TLJ topics were correct, and they blamed the movie for ruining their channel. It was pretty much just rumors and fan speculation passed off as inside info, I wonder if that was Zeroh's channel.

No, Zeroh's still posting multiple videos per day reporting EXCLUSIVE LEAKS for Episode IX. I hadn't heard about whoever the other one is.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

*glances at username*

There's been a few times where people have in fact asked me if I was SuperShadow, and I irritatingly politely pointed out that my Shadow isn't capitalized

Still, his rumors make for good fanfic fuel, so it's not a complete waste of time reading them if you fancy yourself a writer

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
My god. If any scenes take place at the Mos Eisley Catina, there better be a loving Bea Arthur tribute.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Ackmena is canon, even if the Holiday Special no longer is, thanks to "A Certain Point of View."

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Ackmena is canon, even if the Holiday Special no longer is, thanks to "A Certain Point of View."

A new "Complete Visual Dictionary" came out about a month ago and it just straight up includes a picture of Bea Arthur.

It's great.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So i guess it was goodnight but not goodbye

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Worth noting that the usual episode guides have been going up with concept art galleries, etc.

These ship kitbashes are marvelous:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Do they have an after-show thing like they did with Rebels?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Doesn't look like it. Just much smaller (like just over a minute long) videos here and there.

https://twitter.com/DeeGoots/status/1049894793382436865

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 18, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Maybe it's just that I like the art style a lot lot more, but I'm enjoying Resistance a lot more than Rebels.

Oh, and no Force talk.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Resistance seems to have hit the ground running a bit more than Rebels did. Rebels definitely took about half a season (or arguably until season 2) to really hit its stride. Not to say that Resistance doesn't still need to lock down the character's personalities more.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There's the usual episode guides and "Bucket List Extra" that go up after the episodes air

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Cross-Section posted:

Worth noting that the usual episode guides have been going up with concept art galleries, etc.

These ship kitbashes are marvelous:

The visual flair in Resistance is really fun, and the show itself looks a lot better than I thought it would. There's a lot of idle and incidental animations peppered in scenes, and the soft outlines really let the sunny and adventurous palette shine. Ship and tech designs give a decent sense of what post-war society looks like, in a way we don't get with the sequel trilogy, which jumped right into the action and maintained a narrow focus from there.

I wish the writing reflected that, somewhat. The Colossus is an extremely novel idea: a fringe outpost refuge for pirates, smugglers, mercenaries, and war aces who're now living in a galaxy which doesn't necessarily need all of them, anymore. However, we don't really get an insight into what that looks like. Are there lingering wartime tensions between veterans, or do they find solidarity in their shared passion and ability? Are there former Rebel pilots disillusioned by the staleness and vulnerability of the New Republic? Or former Imperials vulnerable to recruitment by splinter factions like the First Order? That fish vendor has a Black Sun tattoo; do criminal syndicates have a presence on the Colossus, or is he like everyone else - a mote shaken off the galaxy's blanket in the wake of the Civil War?

That there are no characters who are obviously ex-Imperial in the main or secondary casts seems like a wasted opportunity. Tam seems like she might be, but that's only because she has the accent and seems disciplined. Why not make Yeager a former TIE ace, introduce conflict that way? Or the Doza family? I'm not saying do this to humanize Nazis, but there's a lot of strong narrative opportunities; if a writer wanted to more darken the lines of what separates The Galactic Empire from The First Order, and how they both represent very real and very prescient - but still distinctly separate - types of political evils, that type of character would have ample reason to contemplate it on-screen.

Partly this is old man star wars fan being overly critical, because I can appreciate that this is a very pretty, fun, and delightful show for younger audiences or those who don't spend their leisure time pondering The Lightsaber Movies.

I think these conversations are important, though, precisely because it's kid's television. Kids and teens in the US have now lived their entire lives (and for young adults, the majority or formative years of it) with their country as a war belligerent, and are frequently reinforced that it's intractable and distant and essentially part of the American Character. They have so little context for what life looks like after a war, which is to say nothing of children and teens across the world who have lived their whole lives in warzones. Star Wars is maybe the #3 or #4 most Known and trusted thing at this point in media, and maybe the only one which deals with state-on-state violence as its main thrust, and indeed 50% of its title. Knowingly or not, a lot of young people are going to take their conceptions of war and society from that franchise, and Resistance is its only current facet exploring a period of burgeoning peace, where warriors have to learn a life away from battlefields and perhaps alongside their former foes, with the threat of reactionary extremism on the horizon. I'm not imposing or implying responsibility on the show or its creators to use that platform for that or any specific agenda, of course, but I do hope it's something they're aware of.

e: Oh also a weird complaint but for some reason I find so many of the names in the cast to be audibly flat, unpleasant, or forgettable; good star wars names have a memorable ting and rhythmic shape to them, and something about these ones just don't do that for me (though Memmoral Ting and Rithmic Shep aren't half bad). For instance, "Kazuda Xiono" is frustrating to try and pick apart audibly as two distinct names or spell by ear and feels clumsy when pronounced. I actually had to hop onto Wookipedia just to remember Tam's name. Maybe I'm crazy

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 19, 2018

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

one of the aces on the colossus is an ex tie pilot, theres been 3 episodes give it some time to breathe

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I think he's a fake ex-TIE pilot, but yeah.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Yeah I liked the pirate in the (scavenged?) stormtrooper armor, too. There's stuff peppered here and there, and definitely like Clone Wars and Rebels it'll most likely blossom in time

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
yea the Ugly ships are really cool because you can see all the parts used to make them. The Pirate Leader was also dressed in Imperial Office Armor.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1053314837684600832

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

twistedmentat posted:

yea the Ugly ships are really cool because you can see all the parts used to make them. The Pirate Leader was also dressed in Imperial Office Armor.

He had to dress professionally for his job interview with the First Order

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

NTRabbit posted:

He had to dress professionally for his job interview with the First Order

Star Wars Explained wondered if it was stuff that was given to the pirates by the FO rather than salvaged.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I think he's a fake ex-TIE pilot, but yeah.

I imagine he is a real Tie pilot. But I doubt he was as in to the Empire as his Imperial Tattoo's suggest

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MonsterEnvy posted:

I imagine he is a real Tie pilot. But I doubt he was as in to the Empire as his Imperial Tattoo's suggest

The pre-series launch blurbs suggested that the guy claimed to be an ex-Imperial, but nobody on Colossus was really sure if it was true or not, so I imagine it will eventually be a plot point.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Pretty weird thing to brag about. "Yeah, I used to be a Nazi."

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Pretty weird thing to brag about. "Yeah, I used to be a Nazi."

Thus giving rise to the "clean wehrmacht stormtrooper corps" theory

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

MonsterEnvy posted:

Who would he have flown TIEs for if not the Empire?

Anywhere, here's why I say I don't think he was either:

https://www.starwars.com/databank/griff-halloran posted:

One of the Aces that flies defense for the Colossus platform, Griff Halloran flies an extensively modified TIE-based racer that emphasizes raw power. No one is quite certain whether or not Griff is a veteran of the Imperial Navy, or whether he just flies old Imperial colors to intimidate his opponents.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

The mining guild.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I didn't realise they were just dropping the first 4 episodes and then taking 3 weeks before getting to the next one, ugh

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

NTRabbit posted:

I didn't realise they were just dropping the first 4 episodes and then taking 3 weeks before getting to the next one, ugh

Episodes 3 and 4 were more like "bonus previews". They're airing weekly on TV

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
resistance is not my thing, but those are some cool ship designs. i especially like the custom tuning on iconic sw designs.

(surprised they actually got oscar isaac, though apparently only for 1 ep)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Nah, he's coming back in a few weeks. (<--synopsis spoilers)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Rebels did get Forest Whittaker for several episodes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bunnyofdoom posted:

Rebels did get Forest Whittaker for several episodes.

And James Earl Jones.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

George Lucas Visits “Mandalorian” Set

quote:

Favreau had his birthday today and he scored a surprise present – a visit to the set by none other than George Lucas himself with the pair taking a photo together. Lucas steered clear of the ‘Force Awakens’ and ‘Last Jedi’ sets, but did visit both “Rogue One” and “Solo”.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m glad they’re still trying to include Lucas every now and then, but these always come off as really forced photo-op moments where Lucas is clearly ambivalent about being there.

I’d pay good money to read honest editorials written by Lucas where he discusses and reviews all the Disney-era SW media. I know we’ve gotten little snippets of his opinions every now and then, but I’d kill to hear him discuss what he thought did or didn’t work in each film.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m glad they’re still trying to include Lucas every now and then, but these always come off as really forced photo-op moments where Lucas is clearly ambivalent about being there.

I’d pay good money to read honest editorials written by Lucas where he discusses and reviews all the Disney-era SW media. I know we’ve gotten little snippets of his opinions every now and then, but I’d kill to hear him discuss what he thought did or didn’t work in each film.

Have you seen the prequels? I couldn't care less what he thinks of modern star wars. He made this bed...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He doesn't like them, that much is clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Burning_Monk posted:

Have you seen the prequels? I couldn't care less what he thinks of modern star wars. He made this bed...

:jerkbag:

I doubt I’d agree with what he says, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to hear it. The man is one of the most influential filmmakers of the last 40 years, no matter what you think of the prequels.