Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You would have had even less cause to notice it, since if a skill does not have any up-front damage attached to it, such as the case with Bio, it cannot miss.

Yep, SCH could get away with a bit less acc because two of your dots would never miss (although getting Miasma 1 to stick could be a chore).

The destruction of accuracy was still the best move ever made for healers, though, and basically helped turn WHM into the dungeon-crushing monster it is today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thundarr posted:

Livia got more character development in this video than she did in all of ARR. (With the exception of the creepy relation ship with Gaius. That counts as character development, right?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VBJby8pJoU

Square please let me use a SMN book as a bookarang

please

That's my one takeaway

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Help thread I don't know what to do.

I've been saving my MGP to get the Fenrir mount, and I'm finally getting pretty close! Except I didn't realize they made the bunny costume unisex, and my giant roegadude looks absolutely horrifying in it. I need that bunny costume but I don't know if I should get it now or get Fenrir first.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Ither posted:

Yea, most books suck because they spikes or some random attachment that books shouldn't have.

I like the simplicity of the Embossed Book of Silver.

Also my character as a Black Mage:

Thanks for reminding me that staff exists. If I ever go BLM long term, im going brush mage. :sweep:

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Renegret posted:

I've been saving my MGP to get the Fenrir mount, and I'm finally getting pretty close! Except I didn't realize they made the bunny costume unisex, and my giant roegadude looks absolutely horrifying in it. I need that bunny costume but I don't know if I should get it now or get Fenrir first.

Fenrir is trash, if that helps!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Renegret posted:

just win the cactpot and get both! ez game ez life

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Renegret posted:

bunny roe

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Shy posted:

Fenrir is trash, if that helps!

Nope! I have a problem where I have to collect all the mounts no matter how much I hate them.

Speaking of which, are any of the (cheaper) MGP mounts any good?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I started leveling Ninja yesterday too and while doing the "random bits of whatever ARR gear you found on the floor" glamour is fun at first, it'll be good to have a more structured glamour for a while.

I'm noticing a lot of sprouts in this game. I got to 30 by mostly spamming dungeons, and I encountered more sprouts than established players doing LDR in those low level dungeons. On one hand, it's a nice feeling because I don't feel bad that I'm dragging a vet into yet another tam tara, but on the other hand, you run into a lot of THMs who don't understand "just spam fire"

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ither posted:

Yea, most books suck because they spikes or some random attachment that books shouldn't have.

I still love my triple ipad. Love my books with weird bits to them

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Renegret posted:

I started leveling Ninja yesterday too and while doing the "random bits of whatever ARR gear you found on the floor" glamour is fun at first, it'll be good to have a more structured glamour for a while.

I'm noticing a lot of sprouts in this game. I got to 30 by mostly spamming dungeons, and I encountered more sprouts than established players doing LDR in those low level dungeons. On one hand, it's a nice feeling because I don't feel bad that I'm dragging a vet into yet another tam tara, but on the other hand, you run into a lot of THMs who don't understand "just spam fire"

It's also good that the game remains healthy. :3: I'm glad XIV does so well even five years on, and Shadowbringers is shaping up to be really cool and I'm not even entirely sure what direction they're gonna take it.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Renegret posted:

Nope! I have a problem where I have to collect all the mounts no matter how much I hate them.

Speaking of which, are any of the (cheaper) MGP mounts any good?

The turtle is hilarious.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My book is always Cantamina/Medica Thavnairia, because that book is real big.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:yikes:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Sch glams need glasses. I try to match book particle effect to robe colors.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Vadoc posted:

The turtle is hilarious.
It's one of my favorite mounts period.

Boogalo posted:

Sch glams need glasses.
I'm still annoyed there's never been dyable versions of the caster hats from gubal normal, since they're one of the few wizard hat+glasses combos.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Do not do Pagos.

I was banging this drum for months and months but with Pyros on the horizon I decided to humour the little voice in my head that never shuts up about potentially missing content one last time and decided to just devote a weekend to it. I'll be done and Pyros-ready tonight, four days later. So for anyone who was... lets say, "tolerant" of Anemos and Eureka in general, but turned off by Pagos on release, here's a totally unasked-for mini-review of what Pagos is like now.

TL;DR in advance: It is exactly like Anemos now, objectively faster and also subjectively slower to complete.

Expanded breakdown: So in each of the Eureka zones you have two goals while you're in there - hit the max elemental level, and complete a relic up to the latest stage. Anemos coupled both of these goals nicely in that by hitting max EL you were almost certainly positioned to complete a relic right away or were very, very close. On launch Pagos had decoupled this progression by making you do two separate grinds - one for EL, which was worse and slower due to nerfing NM spawns and rewards to encourage chain parties, and one for the relic, which involved grinding Light in that way every relic hunter has so enjoyed across expansions.

The end result of every buff to Pagos has been to, essentially, increase the speed of EL progression back to and then faster than Anemos levels, and ease the grind for relics. Due to buffs to Light generation from killing NMs, it's had the additional effect of recoupling the two sets of progression so that getting to max EL gets you most of the way through a relic.

Relics require three things now: crystals forged through collecting Light, crystals collected from killing NMs, and reward items from the EL35 NM, Louhi. If you do nothing but NMs, never touch a chain party, never touch a light party, you'll be about 2/3-3/4 through the materials for a relic by the time you have capped EL and your mount back, and it's not that much more effort at that point to finish things off - a day or two at most.

So what are the criticisms now? The biggest one I have is that they buffed the rewards from NMs, sure - buffed to way past what you were getting in Anemos. This is where objectively faster in the TLDR comes from. But they didn't touch the spawn timers at all - NMs are more spread out, have more weather requirements to pop them, require more kills. No one wants to go through the effort of constantly trying to pop these in order, so most of the time instead of a train rolling around the zone you have 1/4 of the instance killing mobs and 3/4 of the instance watching Netflix while at base camp. A nm pops, groups spontaneously form and kill it, then disband and start waiting again. You get through the whole process faster, but spend way more time AFK not playing the game. Subjectively slower than Anemos.

Also the entire zone design is poo poo. It's poo poo. Nearly inexcusable. There's only a single path to the entire north half of the zone, filled with mobs that will one-shot your EL25 rear end with literally no recourse after a half second in the wrong spot to draw aggro, you just eat poo poo and die. There is a delightful period between EL25-30 where you want to be on the north side for NM pops but have a nightmare of a time getting up there and no way to teleport safely. Don't expect the crowd to wait for you for NMs you have to walk to, either, and even if they do you'll lose a few to aggro and death along the way. This was a common complaint even on launch, but hey, worth bringing up again, I say.

I'm EL20 and I gave up after Anemos, how do I make a really bad life decision and get into Pagos now: Step one: go back into Anemos. There are still NM trains, join one. NM train in Anemos to ~23. Doing the full set of challenge logs is approximately 2.25 full levels worth of exp, and people tend to make challenge log parties in Anemos because everyone is capped at 20 so there is no level disparity. Use challenge logs to get to 25, at which point you can go into Pagos and do the "story" quests to unlock the Light mechanic for relic. Spend the rest of your time in Pagos. Have a television show to watch or something. Other good points to blow challenge logs for two levels: 28-30 to unlock the NW aetheryte, 30-32 to unlock the NE aetheryte, 32-34 to get to a level where you get treasure credit from all NMs.

Hey you didn't mention the story or the cool FFXI items: There is no story. You will never see any of the FFXI items. Just let it go.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I tend to use the crafted primal books (Dead Hive Codex and The Law of Levin First Edition in particular are really nice). Also Ethica (the book from Castrum Abania), Last Resort Zeta, and right now, the Makai Chronicle, since it's Halloween.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Meiteron posted:

Hey you didn't mention the story or the cool FFXI items: There is no story. You will never see any of the FFXI items. Just let it go.

Why they created Eureka still baffles me.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Reported for discussing Eureka.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is Eureka?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Eureka...Is good.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

euphronius posted:

What is Eureka?

A miserable little pile of 'content'.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

euphronius posted:

What is Eureka?

turn back, traveler

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

A miserable little pile of 'content'.

It was not by my hand that Tanaka was once again given control.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

euphronius posted:

What is Eureka?

It's like when you stare into the abyss, it stares back into you. Except it's game content.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I just hit 50 last night and am trying to decide how I want to progress from here. A loooot of dungeons unlocks come at level 50 and I have many MSQs to get through before I can do my next Job mission. Up to this point, a big deal has been made about getting those job quests done, so I thought I might focus the MSQ until I reach Heavensward and leave the LDRs and unlocks aside for now.

But part of me kind kind of hates to miss all those days of level roulette xp that could give me a nice surplus of levels for Heavensward (I hit the level wall in the ARR MSQ a couple times towards the end) and I feel kind of weird for leaving ARR endgame stuff like Hildibrand and tomestone dungeons until after I begin the HW story. Is there a general recommendation for what a level 50 character should be focusing on at this point in the game's life?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Anemos eventually became Fine, if you're a part of this games sizeable hardcore-casual playerbase who likes grinding. Pagos failed to clear that low bar, somehow.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

as someone who only just recently hit endgame i've only ever heard about how bad eureka and its ilk are and thus have never even set foot in them or even really know what they are

i feel like that's probably the winning move

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Only do Eureka if you really want a relic weapon. You are seriously missing 99% of grind for a tiny bit of story bits you can just read online in 2 minutes.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

euphronius posted:

What is Eureka?

serious answer because I'd rather do that than work

each expansion has a "relic" weapon for each class that is more-or-less just as powerful as the most powerful weapon raiding can get you, but obtained by a long multi-patch grind rather than beating ridiculously difficult content. in the current Stormblood expansion, the relic weapon is tied to "Eureka." Eureka is a series of zones in which you start at "elemental level" 1 and have to grind your way up by running around killing mobs, doing esoteric FATEs, and (added recently) completing challenge log entries - there are no "daily quests" or anything like that, it's just kill kill kill. unlike in the overworld, fighting a monster your level 1v1 will be a serious challenge. the most efficient way to level by far is to join an enormous train running around killing said FATEs; of course, this still takes many hours, but fewer "many hours" than getting a couple other nerds and literally killing the same regular monsters over and over. also, in order to fully participate in the fate train, you have to be at or near the level cap anyway, so if you aren't it's still the best exp but you're a little gnat flitting between spots trying not to get pasted by one of 40 elemental level 22 true sight dragons or whatever the gently caress. also you can't even use your mount in the first eureka zone for a long time because gently caress you, I guess.

note, however, that this 'most efficient' method relies on there already being a bunch of other people running around in this zone, doing things that only matter in Eureka content. this is in stark contrast to previous relic grinds, in which the things you'd have to do over and over were roulettes and FATEs that other players could and would want to participate in, even if they're not doing a relic themselves. so not only is the system not fun at all, it's doomed to die, because when the current relic becomes obsolete, there will be no reason to enter Eureka except for glamour.

it's bad content. some jackass on the dev team ("komuato" or something?) has both a boner for FFXI's bad everquest-style game design and, for some godforsaken reason, the ear of head developer yoshida. thus, we suffer through the dev team wasting time on this godawful poo poo.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I just hit 50 last night and am trying to decide how I want to progress from here. A loooot of dungeons unlocks come at level 50 and I have many MSQs to get through before I can do my next Job mission. Up to this point, a big deal has been made about getting those job quests done, so I thought I might focus the MSQ until I reach Heavensward and leave the LDRs and unlocks aside for now.

But part of me kind kind of hates to miss all those days of level roulette xp that could give me a nice surplus of levels for Heavensward (I hit the level wall in the ARR MSQ a couple times towards the end) and I feel kind of weird for leaving ARR endgame stuff like Hildibrand and tomestone dungeons until after I begin the HW story. Is there a general recommendation for what a level 50 character should be focusing on at this point in the game's life?

Just focus on MSQ. Try out a dungeon now and then if you need a break from the early 2.x slog. Do the levelling roulette for xp if you want. The 50/60 bonus exp is trash so you're not missing much.

You're probably not going to hit any exp walls in Heavensward.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

LethalGeek posted:

Only do Eureka if you really want a relic weapon.

And even then just do a heavensward relic

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

And even then just don't

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Get the Smol Lance so we can laugh at you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was cool that one time WoW just like gave you legendary weapons.

I guess lotro did it too. Oh well.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Renegret posted:

If I may make an argument for one particular mount from the Gold Saucer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsEyxddPyvM

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Get the Smol Lance so we can laugh at you.

It's too loving short

And it loving clips into you when it's sheathed no matter what you're wearing

TIME WELL SPENT

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

poo poo i just looked up the DRK anemos weapon and it looks cool, what do i do with myself now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

poo poo i just looked up the DRK anemos weapon and it looks cool, what do i do with myself now

Better :getin: to Anemos, then!