Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Problem solved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Do you have to play online? If not, is it much worse playing solo?

The only thing that might be rough are bosses as being online lets you get other players to help you which can make fights massively easier if youre having a tough time.

That said, if you arent human you cant be invaded. There is literally no reason to play offline unless you dont have an internet connection.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Barudak posted:

The only thing that might be rough are bosses as being online lets you get other players to help you which can make fights massively easier if youre having a tough time.

That said, if you arent human you cant be invaded. There is literally no reason to play offline unless you dont have an internet connection.

Is there no health boost for human?

Theres also no issue going offline and then restarting online if you need a sunbro.

Seeing messages is fun and helpful and harmful and you should be online to get that experience for sure.

Try jumping.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

Problem solved!
:hfive:

Even without hackers I still don't enjoy/use most of the online interaction so I've spent most of my time playing the games offline (and at this point I have a couple of thousand hours). The one big thing you'll miss out on by playing offline is the messages, which can often be helpful/funny when they aren't crass memes, and the world does feel a little emptier without them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Is there no health boost for human?

Not in DS1

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Andrast posted:

Not in DS1

Maybe I'm thinking demon souls. One had like a 50% penalty.

"Its not a penalty if you think of it as bonus" :goonsay:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
At this point in the games life its more than likely you wouldn't run into a single hacker. I still go back and do fresh runs of all the games every few months and it's only in first release spikes if the games I ever saw hackers.

The game is completely enjoyable solo but I do feel you lose out on a unique aspect of the games appeal if you don't do any jolly cooperation.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

DS3 too.

(also you lose max health slowly in DS2 each time you die)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I am also getting wrecked in Dark Souls Switch but I'm gonna blame that on rolling a thief and the controls

I always found the fast dex builds the hardest to play in Souls games. This is probably because they wind up only being pretty fragile.

On the other hand, I first tried Astorias last night with Smaugh's Hammer. Eat dirt you hoppy rear end in a top hat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

It was demons that had a 50% loss and as for think of it like a bonus, thats explicitly what they did in 3 and it solved the problem for people. Its entirely how you present it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Andrast posted:

DS3 too.

(also you lose your max health slowly in DS2 each time you die)

Like all souls things. Ds2 did it best. But I played it first with Scholar so all the problems we gone and it just just amazing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Like all souls things. Ds2 did it best. But I played it first with Scholar so all the problems we gone and it just just amazing.

Ah yes, Iron Keep that flawless design

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Power stance or bust.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Iron keep was fine imo.

Reindeer Hell is the one you should have brought up first (even if it is optional)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mega Comrade posted:

The game is completely enjoyable solo but I do feel you lose out on a unique aspect of the games appeal if you don't do any jolly cooperation.
I think it's a very different way of enjoying the game. The bosses aren't really balanced around multiplayer so the fights become massively easier to the point where you can get carried entirely through a fight without doing anything, so it's kinda lame if your enjoyment of the game comes from the mastery and feeling of accomplishment for learning and executing the fights. I think they're a perfect addition to the game though, since it allows for a sort of "okay I'm done trying, let me skip this boss" option, or for people who just plain don't care about the fights and just want to hit some demons with a friend. :v:

Bombadilillo posted:

if you're thinking of DS2 it's basically equivalent and the only impact is psychological, so I don't really get the :goonsay:

Andrast posted:

Reindeer Hell is the one you should have brought up first (even if it is optional)
we don't talk about that place

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

FIghting all those ninja dudes on NG++ is the real Dark Souls

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Your Computer posted:

I think it's a very different way of enjoying the game. The bosses aren't really balanced around multiplayer so the fights become massively easier to the point where you can get carried entirely through a fight without doing anything, so it's kinda lame if your enjoyment of the game comes from the mastery and feeling of accomplishment for learning and executing the fights.

Sure but just do the bosses yourself first, sunbroing is one of the most enjoyable things in the game for me though. It's probably 70% of all my game time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrast posted:

Iron keep was fine imo.

Its optional (technically Iron Keep is too but its effectively mandatory for 99% of players) so I didnt want to mention it but yeah it may be in the running for worst video game level ever

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Why the gently caress are Kairosoft games £10 on the Switch lmao.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1054396252861812736

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

StabMasterArson posted:

Why the gently caress are Kairosoft games £10 on the Switch lmao.

It's loving madness, they're great phone games but I can't imagine being happy spending that much on so little

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Idly wondering about Bayonetta 3, and what the moon-based title song could be.

Currently I'm hoping for an incredibly sugary, J-pop version of Blue Moon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0fy1HeJv80

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Tanks, that's smash bucks. :rip: prime preorder discounts :(

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Startyde posted:

Tanks, that's smash bucks. :rip: prime preorder discounts :(

That's why I pre-ordered a bunch of stuff before it ended. I'll be getting $12 off Metroid Prime 4 whenever it comes out

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I still don’t think I understand the benefit of becoming human in DS. I understand the humanity items are limited count healing items, but why would I want to de-hollow myself if I can just lose it if I die in ten minutes?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I still don’t think I understand the benefit of becoming human in DS. I understand the humanity items are limited count healing items, but why would I want to de-hollow myself if I can just lose it if I die in ten minutes?

You have to be human to summon help.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Because you get to have fun pvp fights and summon other people to help you.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Kart Barfunkel posted:

You can summon/access multiplayer if you're human. Your soft stats like item discovery also go up if you have soft humanity, but you dont need to be human for that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

You have to be human to summon help.

It also gives you a boost to the luck stat, I believe. Not that it matters much.

Ah it was liquid humanity which controlled luck. I think that also controls chaos weappns damage?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Nice, gonna stretch that birthday card money :10bux:

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Does this work on the EU eshop?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Barudak posted:

It also gives you a boost to the luck stat, I believe. Not that it matters much.

Ah it was liquid humanity which controlled luck. I think that also controls chaos weappns damage?

I think so. It's all really obtuse and the only thing I cared about was the increase to item find while grinding for humanity.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
In case someone needs more Joycon for Mario Party/Smash:
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1054359666682023936?s=09

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oscar Wild posted:

You can summon/access multiplayer if you're human. Your soft stats like item discovery also go up if you have soft humanity, but you dont need to be human for that.

You can also make bonfires better so you get more estus from them. It's not a great use for humanity unless you're doing multiplayer enough that you have more humanity than you know what to do with it, but for first time players who are getting stuck in lengthier regions or want more estus for a boss, it's better than just sitting on it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

For people farther in Starlink than me, I just got to the part of the game where the legion starts advancing and you can build outposts to deal with them.

If I clear a planet of them and build up all the sites will they generally not be coming back on that planet?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Al Borland Corpse posted:

For people farther in Starlink than me, I just got to the part of the game where the legion starts advancing and you can build outposts to deal with them.

If I clear a planet of them and build up all the sites will they generally not be coming back on that planet?

They'll come back, but you can also leave defenses (armories) to hold the line. Im just getting to where theres a kind of push and pull between the alliance and the legion. You can leave a place and itll be basically safe for a long time. You'll be able to see on the starmap if a dreadnaught is on the way to drop off a prime and start the cycle again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

THE loving MOON posted:

They'll come back, but you can also leave defenses (armories) to hold the line. Im just getting to where theres a kind of push and pull between the alliance and the legion. You can leave a place and itll be basically safe for a long time. You'll be able to see on the starmap if a dreadnaught is on the way to drop off a prime and start the cycle again.

Yeah my intention is to clear all the imp hives and leave armorys at like... 1/4 of them?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

tinkerballz posted:

Does this work on the EU eshop?

Fairly sure it’s US only.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I see Ittle Dew 2 in sale, is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
In the last story mission I played of Starlink, it was mentioned that Atlas is a Trinary star system, and the solar system the game takes place in is technically Atlas A. Somebody mentions that a bad guy base could be in Atlas B or C, but it was conveniently 'unlikely'. So yeah, that's probably gonna be how DLC/more toys is implemented.

edit: Al how do you keep getting reverse-owned by all these cool iterations on your avatar

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 22, 2018