Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

PenisMonkey posted:

Happened to me Saturday night. I guess big cities?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBwsDh9aeyc

That lane has a straight/turn right marking past the lane split so I'm not sure what that's all about. I could see how someone might be confused (dark, unfamiliar area, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

That lane has a straight/turn right marking past the lane split so I'm not sure what that's all about. I could see how someone might be confused (dark, unfamiliar area, etc.)
Watch the El Camino and the CRV in the straight/right lane. El Camino goes straight, car that was not in the lane between them turns right (~0:10), CRV turns right. It turned from the straight/left lane.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Oh yeah I see that now.

What's with that lane, though? Why is there a dedicated turn lane but then it's also possible to turn onto the same road past the divider?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Probably a terrible way to indicate the turning choices for the next intersection?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Oh yeah I see that now.

What's with that lane, though? Why is there a dedicated turn lane but then it's also possible to turn onto the same road past the divider?
It's not wholly uncommon. If the dedicated turn lane doesn't immediately merge with through traffic, it makes sense.

EightBit posted:

Probably a terrible way to indicate the turning choices for the next intersection?
I definitely interpret that as indicating for this intersection, so yeah, pretty terrible if that was the intent. (I don't think it was.)

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Oh yeah I see that now.

It means the traffic engineers hosed up and spec'ed a divider big enough for a only single turn lane when traffic volume dictates a 2nd turn lane is warranted.

This is a better solution than the alternative, which is to just let right-turning traffic back up.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

totalnewbie posted:

Dude was in the straight/left turn lane though.

E: yeah I see that you see that now, too

PenisMonkey fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 22, 2018

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

PenisMonkey posted:

Happened to me Saturday night. I guess big cities?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBwsDh9aeyc

Not just big cities. I see it often here in the Boston suburbs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is that even illegal?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Platystemon posted:

Is that even illegal?

God, I've asked myself that same question 50,000 times throughout my life.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Is that even illegal?
Turning right from a "left or straight" lane? Absolutely. Failure to obey traffic device (the marking), unsafe lane change, improper lane usage all pull up relevant offenses which are commonly enforced. (I'm sure there's more.)

You guys know that, though, right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t know the jurisdiction of that video, but in Illinois, “unsafe lane change” is covered by “improper lane usage” (625 ILCS 5/11-709) in Illinois, and I don’t read it as applying here.

You may be right about “failure to obey traffic-control device”.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 23, 2018

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
It is Atlanta.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I mean, yeah, I have no idea where that video was taken. There's some variation or combination of those laws - probably as well as others - that apply basically anywhere. I'm not sure about Illinois, but in many (most?) jurisdictions "unsafe lane change" is a crazy catch-all for anything the officer deems unsafe which involves a lane change, and I'd guess that "improper lane usage" works similarly. But, you could definitely be right that it does not apply here, I have no idea. Real edit: Subsection (c) of your citation pretty definitely applies, unless you find a good enough lawyer to argue that "Drivers must obey lane designation signing except when it is necessary to use a different lane to make a turning maneuver" means that you can turn from any lane, which ... that's some unfortunate wording, but I doubt most judges would let that fly.

It's not really any different than a speed limit sign - it's a marking put on the road in an official capacity that dictates how you may use it, and as far as I'm aware, there is legal backing to them. (I'd be shocked to find that I'm completely wrong on this, although I wouldn't be entirely surprised to hear that there's some kooky little town somewhere with "nah it's cool bro the signs are just for fun, do whatever you want" - which, doesn't really disprove the idea that the general case is that there is legal backing - also, I'm 50/50 on that, because those same kooky towns are also the ones that looooooove to enforce everything that's profitable, which this would fit into). I think my point is that (and to be clear, I'm not saying you) anyone who thinks that these may be disregarded definitely falls in the "people you scare a toad with" category.

fake edit: Atlanta? This quick google suggests "Improper Left or Right Turn" or "Improper Lane Change (No Accident Involved)" as likely candidates. I'm sure if you piss the cop off enough, you could get a "Impeding the flow of traffic" on there as well (the left turn lane was stopped while he waited to turn right).

Looks like there's a clause for "failure to obey" but it mentions pedestrians, so probably not that one.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 23, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
As a practical matter, it’s the kind of thing a cop will right you a ticket for and the judge will agree you deserved.

Like, those yellow speed signs at corners are technically just suggestions, but you can be cited for going too fast “for conditions” well under what the white signs say.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Platystemon posted:

As a practical matter, it’s the kind of thing a cop will right you a ticket for and the judge will agree you deserved.

Like, those yellow speed signs at corners are technically just suggestions, but you can be cited for going too fast “for conditions” well under what the white signs say.
Agreed 100%.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wasn’t thinking about the lane markings when I asked “Is that even illegal?”

I was imagining a roadway where the concrete island and channelised right‐turn lane existed with no lane markings.

Here is such an intersection.

It certainly would be legal to turn right there if the island and channel didn’t exist. Their existence makes it stupid to turn there, but I don’t see how they make it illegal.

But a catch‐all charge is likely to stick so yeah don’t do it.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
In this hypothetical are the people in the left lane turning right?

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Nevermind complex intersections ... people do this on a regular basis on a certain one-way street through town. They will panic when they miss a turn and go left from the right lane, crossing in front of traffic (ie me) in the left lane. It's about 1/3 each the blame of the driver, the city, and nav software though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PenisMonkey posted:

In this hypothetical are the people in the left lane turning right?

In the Streetview link?

It would be the silver car stopped at the crosswalk.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Well that’s not what happened in the video. If you take what happened in the video and apply it to that street view it would be the white truck in the left lane turning right.

Blue lane turns left.
Red can turn left or go straight.
Green can go straight or turn right.
Yellow turns right.

Guy in video was in red lane but followed the purple line which is a big no-no since green lane can go straight.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
:doh:

I didn’t see that car in the video or the arrow permitting turns past the island.

Yeah, you can’t turn in front of lane that goes straight. That’s just plain illegal and breaks lane‐change laws as well.

Something I overlooked in my example is this:

quote:

Right Turns. Both the approach for a right-hand turn and a right-hand turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 23, 2018

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I wasn’t thinking about the lane markings when I asked “Is that even illegal?”

I was imagining a roadway where the concrete island and channelised right‐turn lane existed with no lane markings.

Here is such an intersection.

It certainly would be legal to turn right there if the island and channel didn’t exist. Their existence makes it stupid to turn there, but I don’t see how they make it illegal.

But a catch‐all charge is likely to stick so yeah don’t do it.
FWIW I was specifically taught in driver's ed that it's legal to skip the channelized right turn lane and make a turn past the island. Occasionally it'll save time when there's a long backed-up queue in a righthand turn lane, where the next lane to the left isn't also backed up.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Craptacular posted:

FWIW I was specifically taught in driver's ed that it's legal to skip the channelized right turn lane and make a turn past the island. Occasionally it'll save time when there's a long backed-up queue in a righthand turn lane, where the next lane to the left isn't also backed up.

It may be legal, but it makes you a giant rear end in a top hat.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Craptacular posted:

In the greater Philly area, this nets you a ticket. The cops in my area make a lot of money on people not using lanes and turns correctly to get on the highway.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

iospace posted:

It may be legal, but it makes you a giant rear end in a top hat.
I wouldn't exactly trust driver's ed for lessons in legality, either.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
There's an exit like that for IKEA in Denver. If you're on Southbound I-25, there are two lanes you can make a right turn from. The rightmost lane is for traffic going straight or turning right at the light, the other lane is on the other side of the island is for traffic who wants to make a left turn at the light to go to IKEA.

Guess how many idiots turning from the rightmost lane I've had to dodge going to IKEA. If only there were signs that told you which lane to be in!

... Oh.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Protocol7 posted:

There's an exit like that for IKEA in Denver. If you're on Southbound I-25, there are two lanes you can make a right turn from. The rightmost lane is for traffic going straight or turning right at the light, the other lane is on the other side of the island is for traffic who wants to make a left turn at the light to go to IKEA.

Guess how many idiots turning from the rightmost lane I've had to dodge going to IKEA. If only there were signs that told you which lane to be in!

... Oh.

It's very common when you have a large number of lanes (3 or more) - if you take the slip movement to turn right, you'll be making very aggressive merges to get over in time for the left turn. So you sit at the light, turn right when there's no traffic (right on red, or with the green) - and thus no problem merging over.

We designed one just like this for an exit ramp onto a 6-lane divided road. Works good for the folks who understand how to use it - although the signing looks strange as hell if you're new to the area.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Next up on Terrible Decision Roulette, it's trying to road rage a truck.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

There's dozens of videos of people doing that on YT and I'm what the gently caress do these people think is going to happen

It's like when people get mad because they entered the crosswalk as you were driving over it - it's not a question of "do I want to not smash your car into a guardrail/smear you across the crosswalk," but "Can I physically stop in time?"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
People need painful and/or expensive lessons to learn to be less defective, sometimes. When you're really dumb, I'm convinced there's just no other way.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was so happy when the Lexus SUV (? I don't think so, but I'm not sure what it is) finally hit the truck and it wasn't the trucker's fault

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

MomJeans420 posted:

I was so happy when the Lexus SUV (? I don't think so, but I'm not sure what it is) finally hit the truck and it wasn't the trucker's fault

The trucker could have probably avoided the accident or at least mitigated it a bit, but I don't think that any reasonable person would blame him for what happened

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Door Frame posted:

The trucker could have probably avoided the accident or at least mitigated it a bit, but I don't think that any reasonable person would blame him for what happened

He was trying to avoid it by changing lanes multiple times.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
well the important thing is that SUV rage-bro got wrecked.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If I were a cop/judge, I would not assign any fault to the truck driver. He was pretty patient with the dude in the SUV, and the SUV driver is a quadruple moron for playing chicken with a semi.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Oh, I'm not blaming him either. He has the patience of a saint, even going into the left lane to avoid the SUV that's deliberately loving with him, even though being in the left lane is usually illegal for trucks

In theory, there's likely something he could have done, like jackknifing into the shoulder or grinding his gears to try to stop, but after what seems to be 5-10 minutes of being hosed with really hard and going far out of his way to avoid an accident so many times prior, maybe this time he just "couldn't react fast enough"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I dunno man he was pretty blatantly forced into hitting the car at the end, the dude pretty much turned directly into him.

One thing people forget about truck dashcam videos is that the actual front of the truck sticks a good 6-10 inches further out than the furthest visible piece of the top of the truck's front.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

that's a blind spot too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I dunno man he was pretty blatantly forced into hitting the car at the end, the dude pretty much turned directly into him.

One thing people forget about truck dashcam videos is that the actual front of the truck sticks a good 6-10 inches further out than the furthest visible piece of the top of the truck's front.

That's something that I didn't think about. It looked like he had a second or two to react, but if the SUV is literally inches from the bumper by the time it comes into frame...