Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Capt_Navy/status/1051949793625497600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I do Boston - New York or DC all the time on Amtrak for the last 6 years and have never seen TSA or had a bag pulled aside for any reason.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Second camera dude is the only one with some balls.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MrYenko posted:

TSA has repeatedly tried to elbow their way into regular searches/screening on domestic rail, but Amtrak keeps raising hell and getting it shut down because the lack of a security line is pretty much their single remaining advantage over air travel.

Also Amtrak has its own actual cops and there's not a law enforcement agency on the planet that wants untrained amateur idiots pissing in its pond. Some years ago in Savannah a TSA team basically took over the station on nobody's authority but its own and decided to search everyone entering the station. Amtrak lost its poo poo and told them never again. There's no TSA searching of anyone on Amtrak without an Amtrak cop present. Amtrak will occasionally do 'searches,' which means they set up a table, pull every nth passenger aside, swab his luggage for explosive residue, and that's it. They don't search your bags or person. And if you refuse the search they just walk you back over to the ticket counter and get your ticket refunded.

Also few years ago the TSA demanded that its stupid VIPR teams be able to enter freight yards at any time of day or night without notice. The rail companies told them to get hosed, which is actually somewhat disappointing because the prospect of TSA idiots wandering around freight yards at night and the inevitable subsequent amputations and bisections and friendly fire incidents is pretty entertaining.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wonder if people were this terrified of subways when they were first proposed.

WE CAN HARDLY BUILD A ROAD THAT DOESNT TURN INTO A GIANT MUD PIT SIX MONTHS OUT OF THE YEAR AND TESLAS BLACK MAGIC JUST FRIED AN ELEPHANT AND YOU WANT TO DIG A HOLE AND FILL IT WITH DEADLY ELECTRICITY IN ORDER TO RUN A CRAMPED SMELLY METAL CAR BACK AND FORTH WHAT THE gently caress

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
People flipped poo poo when bicycles became more popular in the 1890s.

Hell, dumbass drivers still don’t have any loving clue about bike laws and get furious when they see a bicycle on the road, mistaking their own ignorance and lack of driving skill for bad actions on the part of bicyclists.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Subways? Hell, the idea of a postal service caused one of the greatest moral panics of it's age. If mail to women weren't exchanged between heads of households personally, women might actually have a degree of agency and ability to speak with other women in private, which would lead straight to satanist lesbianism.

"A pseudonymous writer ca. 1850 posted:

..having "clandestine correspondence with unprincipled men" was already affecting "a thousand schoolgirls a week" and opening their minds to "abnormal channels."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well it all came true.

Hail Satan.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tias posted:

Subways? Hell, the idea of a postal service caused one of the greatest moral panics of it's age. If mail to women weren't exchanged between heads of households personally, women might actually have a degree of agency and ability to speak with other women in private, which would lead straight to satanist lesbianism.

https://youtu.be/jQnkzLuepD0

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bewbies posted:

I wonder if people were this terrified of subways when they were first proposed.

WE CAN HARDLY BUILD A ROAD THAT DOESNT TURN INTO A GIANT MUD PIT SIX MONTHS OUT OF THE YEAR AND TESLAS BLACK MAGIC JUST FRIED AN ELEPHANT AND YOU WANT TO DIG A HOLE AND FILL IT WITH DEADLY ELECTRICITY IN ORDER TO RUN A CRAMPED SMELLY METAL CAR BACK AND FORTH WHAT THE gently caress

Funny you should mention subways, guess how the first one worked: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_Pneumatic_Transit

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Had to go to IMDB to confirm that the guy he's talking to was not Matt Berry. Weird to see that face and not hear that voice.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bewbies posted:

I think this is how people reacted to pretty much everything, except asbestos and lobotomies

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think this is how people reacted to pretty much everything, except asbestos and lobotomies

Reaction to radon: oh hell yes I'm gonna eat this poo poo

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I heard that radon had glowing health reports.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i think you guys are thinking of radium but yes

the only reason I know this is I just read a very good horrifying book about it

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

https://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2004-08/healthy-glow-drink-radiation

They used radon too, they sold basically radioactive soda streams that infused it into water for drinking.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nebakenezzer posted:

Lead, too.

Somewhere in Ancient Rome: "okay, so ingesting this metal causes gout, colic, and insanity. Let's use it to make our aqueducts and also use it as a cooking condiment and a wine sweetener."

Somewhere, much later, in America: "okay so this metal causes a lot of bad things that we've known about since antiquity, let's put it in our exhaust fumes instead of using something like ethanol that'd burn without leaving toxic byproducts".

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ok I’m not saying I want to use lead in anything but i thought the problems with lead wasn’t the pipes but the use of it in other forms like cooking and makeup.

Also lead in combustion engines is a lubricant. They were solving one problem and creating another.

Technology progresses.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
lead in pipes quickly accumulates film/deposits over the pipe itself which prevents lead from leeching into drinking water; flint's poo poo was bad because when they switched water supplies they didn't treat it and the deposit buildup got removed

lead is a problem when you're, you know, ingesting it as part of your daily meal. like how the romans flavored wine with it (along with a lot of other adulterants)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yup.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

LingcodKilla posted:

Also lead in combustion engines is a lubricant.

Any lubrication (which really isn't want it does anyway) is secondary. It's an octane booster, which means it allows you to run at a higher compression ratio without predetonation, which does bad things to engines.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Phanatic posted:

Any lubrication (which really isn't want it does anyway) is secondary. It's an octane booster, which means it allows you to run at a higher compression ratio without predetonation, which does bad things to engines.

I took this an entirely different way until i got to the point where you said engines.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Phanatic posted:

Thanks I was going off memory.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mlmp08 posted:

People flipped poo poo when bicycles became more popular in the 1890s.

Hell, dumbass drivers still don’t have any loving clue about bike laws and get furious when they see a bicycle on the road, mistaking their own ignorance and lack of driving skill for bad actions on the part of bicyclists.

I don't have a problem with bikes on the road. I have a problem with bicyclists who think stop signs don't apply to them because ~reasons~.

Fender Anarchist posted:

https://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2004-08/healthy-glow-drink-radiation

They used radon too, they sold basically radioactive soda streams that infused it into water for drinking.

Still probably slightly better for you than "raw water."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 22, 2018

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Godholio posted:

Bingo. If we can make passenger terminals less of a pain in the rear end than commercial air, I'm all over it. Right now I make the 7 hr drive from Vegas to SLC about once a month, because by the time I deal with both airports it takes the same amount of time, and the cheaper airfare (vs gas) is more than offset by not needing a rental for the weekend.

Not that I actually expect it to actually work, though.

Well, Amtrak can't make Union Station in DC or Penn Station in NYC as smooth as an airline terminal. If you're taking the train from DC to NYC you have to line up at least 30 minutes before the train is due, and can't wait on the platform for it like in every other train system in the entire world. At Penn Station you stand around in a giant crowd and hope you're somewhat near to the right escalator that they call 10 minutes before each train arrives. I'm almost at the point where I'd rather fly that take the train for that trip.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't have a problem with bikes on the road. I have a problem with bicyclists who think stop signs don't apply to them because ~reasons~.

Daily commuting in Cambridge MA, I've kind of gotten used to that. What really annoys me is when I have my right turn signal on and I am in front of the biker but they don't think it's their problem.

Why, yes I did pull across the bike lane and then stop for the lady with the toddler that stepped into the cross-walk. Thanks for noticing at the top of your voice, I see your brakes worked fine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
There used to be mercury based toys even into the early 80s I believe (or perhaps just still circulating in thrift shops)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Murgos posted:

Daily commuting in Cambridge MA, I've kind of gotten used to that. What really annoys me is when I have my right turn signal on and I am in front of the biker but they don't think it's their problem.

I've seen pretty much every possible permutation of "how can I get from this point in the intersection to this point of the intersection without having to wait". My favourite was the guy cutting across in front of my vehicle when I started a left hand turn during an advance go. Now I don't move through an intersection until I have visual confirmation that there are no cyclists within a 500m radius.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Murgos posted:

Why, yes I did pull across the bike lane and then stop for the lady with the toddler that stepped into the cross-walk. Thanks for noticing at the top of your voice, I see your brakes worked fine.

I biked daily from Brighton to Kendall for a couple years and the worst thing about it were the other cyclists.

I'd have near misses from cars not yielding when they actually should have now and then, but I've been outright hit by other bikes several times because I had the audacity to stop at a red light. They were really mad about that too lol.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Murgos posted:

What really annoys me is when I have my right turn signal on and I am in front of the biker but they don't think it's their problem.
My dude if a bike's coming and the crossing isn't clear stay in your lane, it's not rocket science.

That Works posted:

I'd have near misses from cars not yielding when they actually should have now and then, but I've been outright hit by other bikes several times because I had the audacity to stop at a red light. They were really mad about that too lol.
and it turns out no one in america knows how road rules work.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

bewbies posted:

i think you guys are thinking of radium but yes

the only reason I know this is I just read a very good horrifying book about it

Never google radium ladies. Also, I had a course on radioactives in Geography 101, and it's really horrible how bad some countries manage it. In Denmark we filter the Radon out of our drinking water, but in Sweden they don't because of FREEDOM MEANS RIGHT TO MUH OWN WELL sentiment among rural IIRC.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

priznat posted:

There used to be mercury based toys even into the early 80s I believe (or perhaps just still circulating in thrift shops)

Pharaoh's Serpent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury%28II%29_thiocyanate

quote:

was eventually banned when the toxic properties of the product were discovered through the death of several children

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Oh my goddddd burning it is even worse. I was thinking of the enclosed plastic maze games that contained mercury. There were several mercury based toys like that when I was wee.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

and it turns out no one in america knows how road rules work.

Yep. You don't even have any once-in-life mandatory test as a hurdle for bike use on the roads (unless you count motorbikes).

Also gonna say the guys who zip through stop signs and red lights (car or bike) are gigantic assholes.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Tias posted:

Never google radium ladies. Also, I had a course on radioactives in Geography 101, and it's really horrible how bad some countries manage it. In Denmark we filter the Radon out of our drinking water, but in Sweden they don't because of FREEDOM MEANS RIGHT TO MUH OWN WELL sentiment among rural IIRC.

I was doing some survey work in northern New Mexico and we got a warning from the landlady we were renting from to not drink the water because their filter was broken and that area of New Mexico has hilariously high rates of uranium in the groundwater.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Tias posted:

That sounds like misplaced effort. The half-life of radon is so low that the radon daughters accumulating in your water while it was just sitting there in the bedrock would doubtlessly be many orders of magnitude higher than those which potentially could be produced in your body drinking highly carbonradonated well water.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Alternately car drivers seem so loving confused when as a bicyclist I deliberately stop at stop signs and *gasp* occupy the lane. Don’t wave me through the stop sign out of turn; there’s no guarantee the other cars will play along rather than smash me.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Hello there! Are you looking for adventure? Excitement? The chance to die for your country, or to at least make the other bastard die for his?

If you said yes to any of these questions, the ALLIES may be the choice for you! Now—right now!—the Allied thread of the ongoing Combat Mission: Final Blitzkrieg LP is looking for dedicated patriots and/or nonchalant well-wishers to help fill command positions.

What command positions, you may ask? Well, we can’t say too much here—German spies are everywhere! But we’re currently offering prime officer commissions in some of the following branches:

The Infantry!

The Armor!

The Artillery!

The Engineers!

Even the fine flyboys of the Air Corps may be recruiting!

So don’t delay! Visit the Allied Thread and sign up today!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Alternately car drivers seem so loving confused when as a bicyclist I deliberately stop at stop signs and *gasp* occupy the lane. Don’t wave me through the stop sign out of turn; there’s no guarantee the other cars will play along rather than smash me.

Everyone would get where they were going so much easier if everyone just took the loving right of way when it's theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

PBS had a documentary about building the subway in Boston, there were people who believed that the air underground was unbreathable and you also might open up a pit to hell if you dig. This isn't even counting the general fear of electricity that pervaded, though to be fair safety standards at that time were lax enough that I wouldn't go near anything electrical either out of a sense of self-preservation.