Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jack Trades posted:

15 hours in, Resonance of Fate is real loving good in almost every way.

Unless the game gets worse later on I can easily see this becoming the second jrpger ever to keep me interested enough to finish it.

EDIT: A lot of music is so loving good. I love the Forest of Idols battle theme.

The problem with Resonance of Fate isn't that it gets worse, it's that it stays the same. I still like the game a whole lot, but the mechanics do get stale when you have to live with them for an entire game with only the slightest changes over time.

On the other hand, RoF has some loving amazing dressup that made up for drat near everything else about it. So much fun coordinating outfits for my party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

15 hours in, Resonance of Fate is real loving good in almost every way.

Unless the game gets worse later on I can easily see this becoming the second jrpger ever to keep me interested enough to finish it.

EDIT: A lot of music is so loving good. I love the Forest of Idols battle theme.

the games wanna-be deep purple soundtrack is underrated imo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Agean90 posted:

the games wanna-be deep purple soundtrack is underrated imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjxPj3al5U

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

inject it right into my veins fam

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

puns are never good

every time i see "whale way station" a small part of me dies

but in a good way

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

but in a good way

where there’s a whale there’s a way

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

my favorite thing about this hype song is it somehow is dramatically more hype in some jank rear end backyard fan game

about b-ball

im sure no one's heard of it tho

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Jack Trades posted:

Are you talking about the one where Vashyron and Zephyr fight or is there another one?

Cause that one loving owned. I loved those whackass over the top animations.

There's a second one and it only shows if you don't press start at the title screen for a bit.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

U-DO Burger posted:

but in a good way

...gently caress!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

Congrats on hitting the best disc transition scene of all time.

Lost Odyssey moves at a surprisingly brisk pace for being a four disk game, with disk three having the only truly filler feeling dungeon. Two tips about the game, one Im not spoiling because its so important.

The first is the game world changes a lot as you progress and by end game youre locked out of a lot of places. This is totally ok, anything you could have gotten from those treasure chests can be bought at the auction house. Except the Barricadus and Shieldus spells. Buy those as soon as you have an opportunity, with the giant magic city in a cave (Ghotza?) being the second and last opportunity as you can not get them later if you miss them.

The second is the boss of the filler dungeon and a mandatory encounter leading up to it can be an absolute stonewall, even if you use mack a bit. Theres one trick to it to make it easier, but you need to have gotten ready before that part of the game. Buy items that deal earth damage and horde the ones the game gives you. Items bypass reflect so you can just shred the bosses HP by having mages throw them instead of plinking away with physical attacks

Just ran into the ice monster in the cave. Who the gently caress thought putting PERMANENT REFLECT on a boss fight with a party that is almost entire casters was a good idea? Especially when he can gently caress your health away with All-Aquara. Fucker ate a good dozen Grounda Bombs.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
The best puns in Undertale are All of Them™, but the best of the best are the long-term sneaky ones ya don't notice till years after you first see the line because their presence is masked with a more blatant joke / serious moment.

Though the punplay is a bit depressing in situations like Bratty n Catty's, where they're subjected to a rough life on the streets mostly just to motivate them being an alley cat and alley gator. Existence based on a pun has gotta be the worst kinda cosmic joke!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Is there any special reason demons turn me down in Nocturne? I thought at first it was level related, but I’ve had demons turn me down once and then join me just fine the very next battle. I know I can’t recruit on the full moon, but other than that what factors in?

It’s frustrating pouring resources into these things only to have them say ‘Sorry I can’t join you but here’s a cheap healing item’ leaving me with no idea what went wrong.

Though it was funny when my Jack Frost scouted a Hua Po and she got upset that I sent a kid to recruit her (despite, by her own admission, being a kid herself)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Getsuya posted:

Is there any special reason demons turn me down in Nocturne? I thought at first it was level related, but I’ve had demons turn me down once and then join me just fine the very next battle. I know I can’t recruit on the full moon, but other than that what factors in?

It’s frustrating pouring resources into these things only to have them say ‘Sorry I can’t join you but here’s a cheap healing item’ leaving me with no idea what went wrong.

Though it was funny when my Jack Frost scouted a Hua Po and she got upset that I sent a kid to recruit her (despite, by her own admission, being a kid herself)

unfortunately there's a lot of RNG in recruitment so you just have to keep trying until it sticks. giving the "right" answers and handing over items increases your odds but never quite to 100%. demons' specific recruitment skills can be effective; the "brainwash" demon skill is pretty good if your demon is significantly stronger than the target.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just ran into the ice monster in the cave. Who the gently caress thought putting PERMANENT REFLECT on a boss fight with a party that is almost entire casters was a good idea? Especially when he can gently caress your health away with All-Aquara. Fucker ate a good dozen Grounda Bombs.

I told you dog, I told you. Its such a needless difficulty spike, especially if you assume like most people did that items that mimic spells work as spells because for every other property of magic they do.

You actually got me to dust off my copy and wrap up my second playthrough so let me give you another piece of advice: Cubic Music Piece 9 gives an item that unlocks 11 treasure chests that otherwise dont appear in dungeons. There is no indication whatsoever where these are and since they were invisible youd have no idea. If you want their rewards, which you do since they contain end game equipment and spells, get a guide so you dont waste your life hunting for them.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I wish Lost Odyssey was on a system I owned. Like PC.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres a bossfight against six dudes near the end of the game. If you lose, which you almost assuredly will the first time because its a brutal gimmick fight, unlike every other time in the game when you click retry it sends you to a checkpoint just before the boss. This is key because that dungeon is long as gently caress and there are no save points.

Prism posted:

I wish Lost Odyssey was on a system I owned. Like PC.

It will be in 2019.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 22, 2018

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Getsuya posted:

I don't know about under the hood but I believe it's a percentage chance. So the better it is, the higher your chances of getting them to join. If it fails, I believe the next time you try has higher chances if it's a success.

Again, no idea how accurate it is. Could be confirmation bias.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Barudak posted:

It will be in 2019.

Really? I did a quick search and didn't see anything.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

It will be in 2019.

Tell me more.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CYBEReris posted:

unfortunately there's a lot of RNG in recruitment so you just have to keep trying until it sticks. giving the "right" answers and handing over items increases your odds but never quite to 100%. demons' specific recruitment skills can be effective; the "brainwash" demon skill is pretty good if your demon is significantly stronger than the target.

It's not unfortunate it's really fun. It's the best capture mechanic in any RPG lol

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barudak posted:

It will be in 2019.

Okay but what about the actually good mist walker game blue Dragon?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

an actual dog posted:

It's not unfortunate it's really fun. It's the best capture mechanic in any RPG lol

It's only fun until you lose out on a long recruitment process and have to run around looking for a demon that might not appear again for a good number of encounters. I was patient enough for that stuff as a teenager but it's frustrating when you're running on Adult Time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

I told you dog, I told you. Its such a needless difficulty spike, especially if you assume like most people did that items that mimic spells work as spells because for every other property of magic they do.

You actually got me to dust off my copy and wrap up my second playthrough so let me give you another piece of advice: Cubic Music Piece 9 gives an item that unlocks 11 treasure chests that otherwise dont appear in dungeons. There is no indication whatsoever where these are and since they were invisible youd have no idea. If you want their rewards, which you do since they contain end game equipment and spells, get a guide so you dont waste your life hunting for them.

I get the feeling I'm safe as the world map seems to be fully open now, but are there any further missable events/items to be aware of now that I'm in Disc 4? Incidentally the two chances to grab Shieldus and Barricadus are at the Experimental Staff,(the vendor on the boat has them), and Gohtza City

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Prism posted:

Really? I did a quick search and didn't see anything.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Okay but what about the actually good mist walker game blue Dragon?

Im probably going to be wrong but Microsofts game streaming launches 2019 and my assumption is it will have back catalog support.

And Blue Dragon is way worse.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

Im probably going to be wrong but Microsofts game streaming launches 2019 and my assumption is it will have back catalog support.

Streaming sounds awful for a game with timed hits, but hell, maybe I'll try it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Barudak posted:

Yeah... that's not really what I meant when I said I wanted it on PC.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barudak posted:

Two insanely bad things in one post.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I get the feeling I'm safe as the world map seems to be fully open now, but are there any further missable events/items to be aware of now that I'm in Disc 4? Incidentally the two chances to grab Shieldus and Barricadus are at the Experimental Staff,(the vendor on the boat has them), and Gohtza City

Nope, there are no missables once you hit disc 4. There is a sophies choice of ultimate weapon between Kaim and Seth, but since Tolten exists and you can use his ultimate weapon as an immorta, Kaim is fine to pass on the ultimate weapon and use Toltens.

Mortals cap out at around 17-18 skills which is somewhere in the low 50s levelwise. The optional bosses like the Kelolon king expect you somewhere in the mid 40s with the optional super dungeon expecting you at 70+ and the DLC i think being even higher.

Prism posted:

Yeah... that's not really what I meant when I said I wanted it on PC.

Well dont wish on a monkey's paw next time. That said, if googles current streaming service is any indication the tech has improved dramatically since OnLive days.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Barudak posted:

Well dont wish on a monkey's paw next time. That said, if googles current streaming service is any indication the tech has improved dramatically since OnLive days.

I'll worry about the service's quality if Lost Odyssey is actually announced for the service instead of you just assuming it'll be there.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Bongo Bill posted:

Streaming sounds awful for a game with timed hits, but hell, maybe I'll try it.
You'll probably get used to it and adjust because the input lag is very consistent. If anything this is the type of game that'll probably be ideal for streaming since expected but infrequent timed hits are really straight forward with slight adjustment. I seem to recall the ring system is just a one and done per attack, right?

Where you start to really feel it is when its like a chain of timed hits, like I would not want to play Shadow Hearts over a streaming service.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rascyc posted:

You'll probably get used to it and adjust because the input lag is very consistent. If anything this is the type of game that'll probably be ideal for streaming since expected but infrequent timed hits are really straight forward with slight adjustment. I seem to recall the ring system is just a one and done per attack, right?

Where you start to really feel it is when its like a chain of timed hits, like I would not want to play Shadow Hearts over a streaming service.

I streamed emulated Shadow Hearts to a homebrewed Vita just to try it out. After a while I was pretty consistent since the timing was always the same.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think i'd ever want to use streaming to play a game

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I got invited to Google's Project Stream beta and have been slowly playing through Assassin's Creed Odyssey with it and in terms of streaming a game, my official review is thusly:

It's fine. It's not great, it's not terrible, it's fine. Nothing about it works fantastically (except that I'm playing the game through a chrome browser, that's neat), everything about it really does exemplify the phrase "it's fine"

It's a relatively consistent 30 FPS with video quality that drops any time you move the camera or your character but not into complete blurriness; input lag seems to be almost invisible though I owe that up to the framerate masking a lot of it, as well as the Assassin's Creed games generally being really forgiving with inputs

Sound's good, never really noticed any dips in quality or hiccups with audio

It's fine, but in its current state I wouldn't pay for it and don't recommend it unless you are super-desperate to play a super-fancy game on a $300 laptop in a hotel with wifi good enough for you to hog 25-30mbps of it

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
The kids killed Lost Odyssey for me. Also the gameplay. Every battle was taking multiple turns and I got so tired of watching the same long animations. I really liked the first disc. It was okay.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The Colonel posted:

i don't think i'd ever want to use streaming to play a game

It's cheaper than buying a console for one game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tae posted:

It's cheaper than buying a console for one game.

all of the games i would buy a console for are action games that require quick reflexes and all of the rpgs i'd buy a console for are either on systems i already own or getting ported to pc at some point in the future

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My copy of Atelier Annie arrived, guess I'll make that the game I play on the bus once I finish the book I'm reading

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i never finished atelier annie and that's hosed up because it's my computer's windows 10 lock screen

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Oh I forgot to mention one thing that makes Project Stream no bueno; I can't take screenshots very easily, because it hijacks your entire keyboard, so print screen or any other third-party screenshot programs don't function, I have to set up screen recording ahead of time, and if I can't easily take pictures of Kassandra's guns then what's the loving point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

Oh I forgot to mention one thing that makes Project Stream no bueno; I can't take screenshots very easily, because it hijacks your entire keyboard, so print screen or any other third-party screenshot programs don't function, I have to set up screen recording ahead of time, and if I can't easily take pictures of Kassandra's guns then what's the loving point

Unrelated but does alt-tab work normally?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 22, 2018