Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Best AT Warhound weapon loadouts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Finished up this powerful boi over the past couple days. Now to learn how to play the goddamn game.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I love it! No way I’ll be able to do mine justice with paint.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

nice what printer?

Anycubic Photon, got it with one of the recent Ebay coupons

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
That is a pretty murder-bot.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

goodness posted:

Anycubic Photon, got it with one of the recent Ebay coupons

I'm seeing a lot of posts about the Anycubic Photon lately. Is that one basically the "Yes, this one does what miniature gamers have dreamed about forever" printer? Or is the tech not there yet/is there a better one?

On a similar subject, what's the general rules on printing stuff like Battlefleet Gothic ships, where GW straight doesn't make the minis anymore? I am aware selling would still be a no-go, but personal use and all that?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

susan posted:

I'm seeing a lot of posts about the Anycubic Photon lately. Is that one basically the "Yes, this one does what miniature gamers have dreamed about forever" printer? Or is the tech not there yet/is there a better one?

On a similar subject, what's the general rules on printing stuff like Battlefleet Gothic ships, where GW straight doesn't make the minis anymore? I am aware selling would still be a no-go, but personal use and all that?

You can do anything you want for personal use. A gw store might not be happy with you using it, but they can't stop you.

As far as I can tell the photon is maybe 1 or 2 tech generations out from being perfect for gamers. It does have some stepping lines, but they're pretty small, and the print area isn't big enough to do a vehicle in a single go most of the time.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

susan posted:

It's been a great experience so far. For scales 15mm and under it's basically the perfect entry point. For 28mm, GW scale, it can do most infantry in 1 piece and vehicles split up. After painting I don't think someone could tell the difference

goodness fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 14, 2018

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Sold. Thanks goons. You're the best.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 16, 2018

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

goodness posted:

It's been a great experience so far. For scales 15mm and under it's basically the perfect entry point. For 28mm, GW scale, it can do most infantry in 1 piece and vehicles split up. After painting I don't think someone could tell the difference

That looks fantastic! Resin curing pretty straightforward? Reservoir need to be replaced all the time? Resin cheap enough?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Failson posted:

That looks fantastic! Resin curing pretty straightforward? Reservoir need to be replaced all the time? Resin cheap enough?

I've been curing in a 5 gallon bucket with a string of LED UV lights I got for $20. Takes ~15m.

I haven't had to replace the film on the reservoir yet but it looks relatively easy. People have said they have been printing almost nonstop with it for a couple weeks at a time without having to empty it and clean it. When I do clean it the process takes 10-15m.

Resin is about $70-90/liter. I haven't measured how much the resin weighs and compared it to a print, but an example: the slicer says the two rhinos I'm printing for 8mm are going to be 5.78mL. So counting transfer waste they'll cost about .80cents to make. Its not super cheap but still below market price for the figures and you have the capability to print models that weren't ever produced.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Speed Freaks seems very very rad, I'm definitely buying this

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/15/15th-oct-speed-freeks-da-roolzgw-homepage-post-1/

Those are easily some of my favorite GW models in years, and the rules sound reasonably fun and good times

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Main downside of Speed Freaks is that the obscene price of Ork warbikers inflates the price.

$150 for 8 models is hard to swallow.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Idunno $20/model is pretty cheap by GW standards.

I know nothing of this release so if they are tiny or something, then eh.

Same thing with Titanicus. The box was expensive, but for what all you get, pretty good really.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Floppychop posted:

Main downside of Speed Freaks is that the obscene price of Ork warbikers inflates the price.

$150 for 8 models is hard to swallow.

250 dollary doos :negative:

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Solemn Sloth posted:

250 dollary doos :negative:

Like you’d have time to play it ;)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Asphyxious posted:

Like you’d have time to play it ;)

Like that’s stopped me buying anything else

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Moose-Alini posted:

Idunno $20/model is pretty cheap by GW standards.

I know nothing of this release so if they are tiny or something, then eh.

Same thing with Titanicus. The box was expensive, but for what all you get, pretty good really.

They're supposed to be pretty darn big, and they're insanely detailed. I think its actually a decent value.

And most of the standalone games don't seem that great to me, but this I can really see myself playing.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I might be biased after assembling and painting around a dozen of the Ork bikers. It's a cool looking, but unfun to assemble kit.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I was basing this to go with the nihilakh dynasty scheme, but this hemp color looks good already.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Played a little introductory AT game with Ghazk last night, lots of fun!

Game was really swingy- I got a nice couple crits on his warlords head right at the beginning after some lucky shooting, then his reaver and warlord proceeded to utterly wreck my warhounds.

With just my warlord left I managed to kill his reaver in close combat, but not before it ripped up my legs and damaged the hell out of my body.

Two wounded warlords square off....

But I scrape out the killing shot!

AT is a lot of fun, looking forward to trying out stratagems and maniples and stuff. We used most of the advanced rules but kept the points low and the scenario simple- I could see a big game taking quite a bit of time, just because there’s so much detail to keep track of. The turn structure helps keep everyone always doing something though, so it’s not like 30 or 40k where sometimes you have long breaks of inactivity while your opponent fiddles.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
gently caress

those FX own

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Played a little introductory AT game with Ghazk last night, lots of fun!

Game was really swingy- I got a nice couple crits on his warlords head right at the beginning after some lucky shooting, then his reaver and warlord proceeded to utterly wreck my warhounds.

With just my warlord left I managed to kill his reaver in close combat, but not before it ripped up my legs and damaged the hell out of my body.

Two wounded warlords square off....

But I scrape out the killing shot!

AT is a lot of fun, looking forward to trying out stratagems and maniples and stuff. We used most of the advanced rules but kept the points low and the scenario simple- I could see a big game taking quite a bit of time, just because there’s so much detail to keep track of. The turn structure helps keep everyone always doing something though, so it’s not like 30 or 40k where sometimes you have long breaks of inactivity while your opponent fiddles.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Legio Panascopius

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

e:nvm

goodness fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 21, 2018

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
After watching three play through videos I feel confident saying that Speedfreeks is a fine way to get two new ork buggy models and six bikes if you still need them.

The direction templates don't come into play enough in my opinion and it seems to devolve into the classic GW manpile of models touching or within inches of each other blasting each other until one dies.

Sad really. They had X-Wing to steal inspiration from and still whiffed it.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Do people post in here about the Middle Earth game, or does it have a thread?

I remember when it first came out as LotR game, played it a bit in high school.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

TheBigAristotle posted:

Do people post in here about the Middle Earth game, or does it have a thread?

I remember when it first came out as LotR game, played it a bit in high school.

Pretty sure it counts, so you can discuss it here. I played a bit a couple years ago, really liked the White Council hero faction

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

After watching three play through videos I feel confident saying that Speedfreeks is a fine way to get two new ork buggy models and six bikes if you still need them.

The direction templates don't come into play enough in my opinion and it seems to devolve into the classic GW manpile of models touching or within inches of each other blasting each other until one dies.

Sad really. They had X-Wing to steal inspiration from and still whiffed it.

I wonder about the other scenarios though, like one is a race.

There's elements of it I do like a lot, like the damage cards. Hopefully fun enough over beer.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 22, 2018

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Zaphod42 posted:

I wonder about the other scenarios though, like one is a race.

There's elements of it I do like a lot, like the damage cards. Hopefully fun enough over beer.

You might look into Gaslands if you want a fun table top racing game.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
reboot Gorkamorka god drat it!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Moola posted:

reboot Gorkamorka god drat it!

For a company of mind-boggling decisions, this one stands out to me as the most mind-boggling. I just cannot fathom how they haven't rebooted it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Chakan posted:

For a company of mind-boggling decisions, this one stands out to me as the most mind-boggling. I just cannot fathom how they haven't rebooted it.

Realpost, the extreme convertibility that everyone remembers as such a great part of GM is probably a barrier post-Chapterhouse? It's one thing to reissue Space Hulk every few years but I'm even surprised that Necro got a reboot (and the extremely limited wargear options of KT, Primaris marines, and the lack of options on the new ork vehicles is probably the way things are going to look from here on out).

:sigh:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Schadenboner posted:

Realpost, the extreme convertibility that everyone remembers as such a great part of GM is probably a barrier post-Chapterhouse? It's one thing to reissue Space Hulk every few years but I'm even surprised that Necro got a reboot (and the extremely limited wargear options of KT, Primaris marines, and the lack of options on the new ork vehicles is probably the way things are going to look from here on out).

:sigh:

And what's frustrating about this is that the vast majority of people I ever played GM with used GW bits. And it's not like weird third party Ork bits aren't currently available. People are going to do what people are going to do.

Really, I just want a new trukk, a new fort, and a box to get people enthusiastic.

Honestly if Forge World had a better reputation, I'd put more effort into getting the Ork trukk from them as it basically looks exactly how I want one to. I've never liked how busy the battle wagon looks.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Is this the thread to discuss Shadespire? Looking for tips to make a Killy sepulchral guard deck.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Atlas Hugged posted:

And what's frustrating about this is that the vast majority of people I ever played GM with used GW bits. And it's not like weird third party Ork bits aren't currently available. People are going to do what people are going to do.

Really, I just want a new trukk, a new fort, and a box to get people enthusiastic.

Honestly if Forge World had a better reputation, I'd put more effort into getting the Ork trukk from them as it basically looks exactly how I want one to. I've never liked how busy the battle wagon looks.

I think that GW fundamentally doesn't "get" how third-party bitz work and never has, and the Chapterhouse thing has permanently hosed them in the head regarding it. They imagine that in the act of someone buying (e.g.) ork heads from Kromlech there is somehow a lost sale for them when there almost certainly was not*. This also ignores that (in my admittedly limited and distant experience) upwards of 90% of third-party bitz are applied to a GW model or are of something so edge-casey that no realistic product offering on GW or even FW scale was going to capture it (e.g. sexy ork girls).

New-GW has done so much so right so quickly but maybe it's a leopard's spots thing. Maybe it also comes from having unlimited recourse to a bottomless barrel of plastic kits at your disposal which most of us don't enjoy as a company perque?

*: I'm limiting my discussion to companies that more-or-less exist to service GW hobbyists: Victoria Lamb, Kromlech, Puppet War, MaxMini, Spellcrow, a few others. These gradually shade off into recasters about whom no more shall be spoke.

E: And those motherfuckers from Chapterhouse still owe me two sprues of heads.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 23, 2018

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Asphyxious posted:

Is this the thread to discuss Shadespire? Looking for tips to make a Killy sepulchral guard deck.

There's a Shadespire thread here.

I can save you the bother though - SG are the worst of the original warbands by a long shot, and making an effective aggro deck for them is very difficult.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

glitchkrieg posted:

There's a Shadespire thread here.

I can save you the bother though - SG are the worst of the original warbands by a long shot, and making an effective aggro deck for them is very difficult.

Such is life.

I refuse to move from skeletons, bone bros for life!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Chakan posted:

It's because Gorkamorka didn't make any money the first time around, to the point that they ended up giving it away. Why bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Corrode posted:

It's because Gorkamorka didn't make any money the first time around, to the point that they ended up giving it away. Why bother?

Did they give away sets generally or just the ones they had printed in Italian? I heard they were giving them away with subscriptions to Blanco Dwarfo (or whatever) but I hadn't heard they over-printed English.

I think I remember reading the number of translations they did was a barrier to profitability for the entire product?