Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Started a game as Matilda and played 7 years so far.

Matrilineally married an 18 year old deHauteville who was a son of the previous Duke. Then joined the current duke in his Holy War for Sicily and helped him win. Then fended off an invasion by the Duke of Lombardy. Was named Duchess of Ferrara by the Emperor, giving me two more county vassals. I guess he was worried about my negative opinion about him. Been trying to fabricate claims, but no luck so far. Fired the count in charge and put a competent baron in his place, so hopefully that will change soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Charlz Guybon posted:

Started a game as Matilda and played 7 years so far.

Matrilineally married an 18 year old deHauteville who was a son of the previous Duke. Then joined the current duke in his Holy War for Sicily and helped him win. Then fended off an invasion by the Duke of Lombardy. Was named Duchess of Ferrara by the Emperor, giving me two more county vassals. I guess he was worried about my negative opinion about him. Been trying to fabricate claims, but no luck so far. Fired the count in charge and put a competent baron in his place, so hopefully that will change soon.

I'm a couple hundred years into a Mathilda start and I just managed to become Holy Roman Emperor as a Jew who is secretly Shia and I really wish I was playing with Holy Fury because the dynamics between me and the Pope would be way more interesting

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
I'm the best Viking dad. When my ambitious primogeniture heir son was becoming troublesome, I made him the King of England. And to be fair, he seems to be doing a great job of grabbing more lands over there. Ok, cool. But then he grabbed a wife. A possessed, syphilitic wife. poo poo. poo poo. I forgot to marry him before I gave him his own kingdom, and we already know this kid fucks. But I've got 17 intrigue, and that focus used to be fun before I was a doddering old emperor, waiting around to die. Let's spy on the possessed little disease factory who threatens to undermine the future glory of Scandinavia. My heir is already dull and stubborn, the last thing he needs is her.

Intrigue focus pop up. Would I like to kidnap her for 5 gold? Why, yes. Yes I would. Amazingly, her approval of me is still high 70s, so I'm not even sure she knows whose dungeon she is in. Get comfortable, cultist.

Poor dull son, would you like this fresh 18 year old crazy stat shieldmaiden who slums around my court as a concubine? Of course. His poor wife has mysteriously vanished.

Because I'm the best Viking dad.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I love how all of the posts in this thread sound completely psychopathic taken out of context

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Whelp, viking dad of the year confirmed.

I'm sure the wife lives happily ever after on a nice little farm with lots of other dogs people. :downs:

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Is there a way to see all the provinces that I've prepared the ground for? I just spammed the hell out of it and might be close to half the empire having secret Muslim communities. The Pope is already upset that I'm a Jew and soon the entire goddamn HRT will convert to Shia he's gonna poo poo himself

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

I love how all of the posts in this thread sound completely psychopathic taken out of context

Look this game just does things to people ok? I never thought there was any context I'd consider murdering a baby but in ck2 I've killed so many I don't even have a guess as to what the number would be.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Look this game just does things to people ok? I never thought there was any context I'd consider murdering a baby but in ck2 I've killed so many I don't even have a guess as to what the number would be.

Hey, at least some of them are mercy killings. Every now and then I feel bad about kidnapping babies, so rather than let them sit in my dungeons for 16 years until they are old enough to blöt, I just kill them then and there.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I mean, I *probably* wouldn't take the wives and daughters of my vanquished enemies as concubines irl, but that doesn't stop me from doing it constantly in-game.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Another best Viking dad story. My uncle was an Irish jarl, and kind of a pain. Not ambitious, but somehow always factionalizing and never happy. I eventually get fed up. I make someone else King of Ireland and marry my eldest daughter to him, trying to bury my uncle under someone else's vassalage. NOPE, here he comes with a revolt war. I can't loving get rid of this guy. And then he goes too far.

He captures my oldest daughter and makes her his concubine. What.

So of course I assassinate him, get discovered and get the kinslayer trait. Fine, don't care, I got my daughter back. But the uncle had six living kids, all impressive stats. And they all become my rivals. The next decade is a series of assassination plots directed at Best Viking Dad by these pissed off kids. And at the end of it all, they are all dead by duel, oubliette or human sacrifice. One blot was even a two-fer with a brother-sister sacrifice. I wiped out my uncle's entire family line, every last one, because my daughter was turned into a hooker for awhile.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

What's the current jank-mod for playable inland republics? Is there one? I don't even care if trade posts work with them or not- in fact, it'd be better if they weren't used- but it'd be nice if patricians could still be forced in.

I've been tinkering with some government modding and I got something workingish, but if someone else has already done the legwork and has playable inland republics going already I'd be happy to drop what I got and work with that.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's a reason one of the best Steam reviews is simply, "I thought I was a moral person. I was wrong."

baw
Nov 5, 2008

With almost 300 hours in the game I am proud to say I have only murdered one child

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So I am sure this gets asked constantly but here goes anyway. I keep bouncing off this game because I play for a few hours, but never quite know how to measure my progress, so it feels like I am just kind of flailing around without accomplishing anything.

Does anyone have suggestions for start dates and locations and maybe a basic game plan for the beginning of the start just so I know the general direction the playthrough should go?

I typically like starting at the lowest rung at the earliest date, but whatever is clever. That might be why I feel like I am not learning anything.

Too much time in Ireland. Pagan sounds really fun.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Make your own goal. The game just doesn't have win conditions. Paint the map? Form an empire without murdering anybody? Start in Finland and eradicate the karlings? Just kind of faff about and see what stories happen? So many possibilities.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Meridian posted:

really fun.

Barcelona isn't pagan, but it's a great spot at a lot of dates. Viking age Haesteinn of Nantes is a great way to do literally anything you want. Want to make a Norse Muslim Spanish empire? Haesteinn of Nantes.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

baw posted:

With almost 300 hours in the game I am proud to say I have only murdered one child

Have you considered playing a Norse character? A good blot or two will fix you right up

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I was pretty sure children were exempt from mass sacrifice events, but I could be wrong.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Meridian posted:

So I am sure this gets asked constantly but here goes anyway. I keep bouncing off this game because I play for a few hours, but never quite know how to measure my progress, so it feels like I am just kind of flailing around without accomplishing anything.

Does anyone have suggestions for start dates and locations and maybe a basic game plan for the beginning of the start just so I know the general direction the playthrough should go?

I typically like starting at the lowest rung at the earliest date, but whatever is clever. That might be why I feel like I am not learning anything.

Goal: Unify Northern Europe

Start as one of the petty kings in the Scandinavian region. Sigurdr Ring is a popular choice.

Identify easy targets for quick conquests, expand your power base locally and gather raids to civilized Europe for fundraising.

Prepare your firstborn heir for a lovely gavelkind inheritance event.

After the first inheritance, successfully war against your brothers to reunify your conquests, then repeat conquering and raiding.

Your end goal is conquering enough holy sites of the Nordic faith to reform your religion. Once reformed, you can switch to another inheritance law and escape the cycle of gavelkind->sibling conquest.

Finish unifying the rest of Scandinavia with your now much more stable kingdom and form the Scandinavian Empire.

Pick your target after that. Conquer England? Sweep across Eastern Europe? Push south into the HRE? Up to you.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Meridian posted:

I'm in the same boat as you. My last play through I started somewhere in spain and made it about 4 generations before someone with -91 affection towards me came in and took all my land from my child king. I think that was a good run? It was the first time I got another province besides my starting area. My sister was about to die and gave it to me.

My strat right now is to marry off all my kids to the highest ranking person I can find except for my heir and send all my council to countries bordering me unless they're helping my capital. Last game I figured out how to build other holdings in each area but I built too many castles I think, I should have given them away to people who liked me. I kept getting a message about losing a territory on death which I couldn't figure out. I just want to paint the map all my color :(

is this game fun without any mods or am I missing a big part of it

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Cantorsdust posted:

Goal: Unify Northern Europe

Start as one of the petty kings in the Scandinavian region. Sigurdr Ring is a popular choice.

Identify easy targets for quick conquests, expand your power base locally and gather raids to civilized Europe for fundraising.

Prepare your firstborn heir for a lovely gavelkind inheritance event.

After the first inheritance, successfully war against your brothers to reunify your conquests, then repeat conquering and raiding.

Your end goal is conquering enough holy sites of the Nordic faith to reform your religion. Once reformed, you can switch to another inheritance law and escape the cycle of gavelkind->sibling conquest.

Finish unifying the rest of Scandinavia with your now much more stable kingdom and form the Scandinavian Empire.

Pick your target after that. Conquer England? Sweep across Eastern Europe? Push south into the HRE? Up to you.

That sounds dope. Which start date?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Meridian posted:

Pick any of the Scandanavian dudes in the 867 start. Harald Fairhair is a popular and good starter choice since he's stupid young and has good stats. Pick the ambition "Become King of [X]" which as a Pagan lets you beat the poo poo out of anybody who holds de jure lands of that kingdom. Raid like crazy to build up your war chest. Turn that war chest into a bloody march to unify the kingdom and form the title. Once you have it, set a new goal: form Scandanavia, go sail over and gently caress up the British Isles, reform your religion then transition into a crazy raiding Norse merchant republic, etc.

As others have mentioned you kinda have to make your own goals and fun in this game, but Norse is a good place to start because their mechanics are built around always having something to do, be it raiding or warring.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
playing as a vassal, do you have any direct control over your opinion of your liege?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

indigi posted:

playing as a vassal, do you have any direct control over your opinion of your liege?

Pretty sure you can improve relations with chancellor. Gifting too?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

baw posted:

A single murdered child is a tragedy; a million infanticides is a statistics.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Meridian posted:

That sounds dope. Which start date?
Sigurdr Ring is 769, which is the best time to try unifying Scandinavia, but there are also plenty of good options in 867.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

baw posted:

put this sick filth under spoiler tags at least. Ugh! :nms:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Phlegmish posted:

Posts about Crusader Kings are actually banned from /r/nocontext for this reason alone

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Meridian posted:

Pretty sure you can improve relations with chancellor. Gifting too?

no I mean can you change your opinion of them. like, make them think you're pissed so they'll give you lands, or make them think you love them while you're plotting to rebel. or something

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm in the same boat as you. My last play through I started somewhere in spain and made it about 4 generations before someone with -91 affection towards me came in and took all my land from my child king. I think that was a good run? It was the first time I got another province besides my starting area. My sister was about to die and gave it to me.

My strat right now is to marry off all my kids to the highest ranking person I can find except for my heir and send all my council to countries bordering me unless they're helping my capital. Last game I figured out how to build other holdings in each area but I built too many castles I think, I should have given them away to people who liked me. I kept getting a message about losing a territory on death which I couldn't figure out. I just want to paint the map all my color :(

is this game fun without any mods or am I missing a big part of it

you don't really need any mods, just be willing to restart new games and do better each time with what you've learned. expanding as a catholic is painful though

for example, building new castles is pretty late game stuff and not something you should be sitting around saving up money to do in the early game. it is far, far better to use that money to hire mercenaries to help you take castles from other people

if all you want to do is fight get the old gods expansion and be norse, or get sword of islam and be muslim. western european catholic rulers get all kinds of obstacles preventing them from just beating rear end

indigi posted:

no I mean can you change your opinion of them. like, make them think you're pissed so they'll give you lands, or make them think you love them while you're plotting to rebel. or something

nope, but you can get on their council and hammer that dislike

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Meridian posted:

Latin Empire: You have claims on all of the former states of the Byzantine Empire. Go nuts.

One of the Spanish states in 1066 is great for being able to get right into holy wars and tactical assassination of your brothers. If you play as muslim Sicily you can conquer your way up the peninsula pretty fast too.

Pagan starts can be weird from being stuck with gavelkind and it can take a while to muster a big army, but there's one in Brittany who starts with 10k event troops to have fun with. Otherwise you have to start with a larger state if you wanna get going quickly.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

luxury handset posted:

you don't really need any mods, just be willing to restart new games and do better each time with what you've learned. expanding as a catholic is painful though

for example, building new castles is pretty late game stuff and not something you should be sitting around saving up money to do in the early game. it is far, far better to use that money to hire mercenaries to help you take castles from other people

if all you want to do is fight get the old gods expansion and be norse, or get sword of islam and be muslim. western european catholic rulers get all kinds of obstacles preventing them from just beating rear end

nope, but you can get on their council and hammer that dislike

sweet I'll try that, I haven't figured out how to use armies yet. another guy just comes and bangs at my gates for a while and takes my city usually

baw
Nov 5, 2008

I really wish there was some way they could design a chronicle that wasn't useless garbage. This game generates so many incredible stories but the only way to remember them all is to manually keep a goddamn notebook which I've thought about doing but c'mon

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

sweet I'll try that, I haven't figured out how to use armies yet. another guy just comes and bangs at my gates for a while and takes my city usually

combat is real complicated under the hood but also real simple in practice. show up with more dudes and fight on good terrain. don't attack into mountains or across rivers unless you have to, and try to bait your enemy into attacking you in mountains or across rivers

levy management is tricky at first since it's not how strategy games usually handle troops but it's important to be aware of how many dudes you can summon, what impacts the number of dudes you can summon, and how many dudes your enemy might be able to bring to the field. generally don't start a fight with anyone who has a potential top levy greater than yours, and be careful fighting anyone who has a few hundred ducats in the bank because they might summon a shitload of mercenaries

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Meridian posted:

I keep bouncing off this game because I play for a few hours, but never quite know how to measure my progress, so it feels like I am just kind of flailing around without accomplishing anything.

Everyone is recommending vikings, but they have to do so much troop management. I've had some great games as rich bastards: merchant republics, or people on the silk road, Egypt etc, where I can just hire mercenaries when attacked and otherwise concentrate on the one true goal of having as many descendants as possible.

E: don't be shy about speeding up the game while nothing is happening, most of us play on 4 or 5 I think.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Your progress in CK2 is the friends you make along the way. Because you forced them to be such. With violence. :kiddo:

baw
Nov 5, 2008

I play at 2 and there is almost always something i can check or tweak or work towards. and when there truly isn't anything to do i just play candy crush until there is

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Just to be clear I do understand the concept of setting goals and making your own fun, I guess I just feel like I am not playing efficiently at all.

Which I suppose isn't a huge deal. Not trying to break the game over my knee or anything, just want to learn more of the nuances with marriages and intrigue stuff.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Meridian posted:

Just to be clear I do understand the concept of setting goals and making your own fun, I guess I just feel like I am not playing efficiently at all.

Which I suppose isn't a huge deal. Not trying to break the game over my knee or anything, just want to learn more of the nuances with marriages and intrigue stuff.

Just experiment, make a buncha dumb mistakes and spend generations trying to fix your gently caress ups while trying not to gently caress up any more (but you will gently caress up more)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah don't worry about playing super efficiently. This isn't a game you minmax or try to win. Its a story generator more than anything and if you approach it that way and just embrace the madness it'll be way more fun.

Marriage and intrigue stuff you just kind of learn by doing. And by doing I mean stabbing your way through entire dynasties because you or a family member might possibly maybe inherit a castle along the way.

Sometimes the game will just totally dick your plans. Just keep going and roll with it. It gets described as a feudalism simulator which is pretty accurate. Sometimes your god king gets the smarts bashed out of him in battle, a ten year regency fucks up your plans, then your heir gets assassinated days before your next in line becomes an idiot long that...somehow forms an empire despite his best stat being a 6.

...no I didn't play exactly that game I swear.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 22, 2018

• Locked thread