Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
On another note, if we're getting Merchant Republics this DLC, when will we be getting Nomads, and can we eventually play the Space Pope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Truga posted:

Ideally, we'd get a straight up tech tree, with researched techs green, the "cards" you've drawn yellow, and everything else red shaded. Then you can mod the number of cards to 7000 and you get a free for all tech tree, or you leave it at 3 and keep the RNG. Could even have a slider!
That's really good. Like super good. You could have a way deeper tree with much greater complexity and depth because it's more obvious what leads to where, and allow for a lot more permalocks without a stupid long list.

If you want to preserve the mystery a bit while still providing more information you could hide the tree by default and have yellows reveal the reds one layer deep.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Dareon posted:

On another note, if we're getting Merchant Republics this DLC, when will we be getting Nomads, and can we eventually play the Space Pope?

Robo-Jesus requires all of the universe's children to worship him.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

What if they implement the invention system from Victoria 2? You pick over-arching theme techs that shape your empire and you roll inventions from there based on your development, leader traits and pop traits.

Maybe ascencion perks should be the theme, unlocking a bunch of appropiate tech cards

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I would really like to have a tech tree to look at in game, if only to visualize which tiers you're currently working at. Tech names and effects for things you haven't researched can stay hidden.

Also a x100 weight to Ascension perk prerequisites if my third unlock slot is open and waiting.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I really like the idea of showing all the tech options available all at once rather than this random bullshit. One other thing I'd like to see is the "required number of techs of the previous tier" thing to also go away.

I want to be able to dive way deep into some late-game techs at the expense of all else. gently caress it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

PittTheElder posted:

Also a x100 weight to Ascension perk prerequisites if my third unlock slot is open and waiting.

The whole idea of tech prereqs for perks is weird tbh.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Nothing turns me off Space 4X games more than hitting the research screen button and seeing the two hundred options sprawl before me like the guts of a molluscoid alien

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jay Rust posted:

Nothing turns me off Space 4X games more than hitting the research screen button and seeing the two hundred options sprawl before me like the guts of a molluscoid alien

Same. Specially when they do a dumb gimmick like endless space 2's. There was a real terrible period when games like this all needed big cumbersome 3d maps to show their tech trees/webs.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007
It's actually very easy to specialize in particular sections of tech. Choose as the lead scientist someone with the appropriate specialty. It affects both speed and likelihood of tech picks, so you can even have them out doing something else, then swap them in when you're finishing up the last month of research and weigh the dice toward something you want. Need better buildings and robots and infrastructure? Industry. Clear annoying blockers and get more core worlds? New Worlds. Command Limit and Fleet Limit? Military Theory. Better combat ships? Particles.

Once I've finished the initial round of exploration with my +anomaly scientists, and start settling them in to augmenting my biggest research worlds, I'll often replace scientists as they die with a specialty I may find useful. Military Theory and Particles are common ones, or whichever ascension path I'm going for.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always just roll with all genius.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Make the research tech screen like Path of Exile's passive skills tree!

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree

Magnificent

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I do like what they're doing with the card system, but without a tech tree its quite difficult to know what depends on what. For example from day 1 you can see all the ascension perks and can see what the techs needed are. But you have no way of knowing where those techs are in the tree. And while some of the tech descriptions have the "researching this will lead to further advances in _____ " lines they're pretty opaque and incomplete. For example its not at all clear that you need to research the upgraded administration buildings to advance robotics. A bit more discoverability here would go a long way I'd think.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DrSunshine posted:

Make the research tech screen like Path of Exile's passive skills tree!

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree

Magnificent

*gif of Michael Scott from the hit TV series "The Office" screaming "NO! NO!!! NO!!!"*

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Jay Rust posted:

I really like the idea of a darkened-out full tech tree that lights up as you research things, and reveals the next tech available after a possible research lead. Whoever suggested showing the tree with what you have researched in green, what cards you rolled this time in yellow, and the next techs after them grayed out but visible had a drat good idea.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

GunnerJ posted:

The whole idea of tech prereqs for perks is weird tbh.

At the same time, though, I don't think you should be able to build enormous space habitats/rings/sensoria without the technology to build enormous things in space, or to manipulate genes without the tech for gene manipulation.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

darthbob88 posted:

At the same time, though, I don't think you should be able to build enormous space habitats/rings/sensoria without the technology to build enormous things in space, or to manipulate genes without the tech for gene manipulation.

In that case, taking the perk should add the relevant pre-req tech as a guaranteed option if you don't already have it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

And on the other hand cool tech trees are one of my favorite things about 4x games and I think Stellaris would be well served with one

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Baronjutter posted:

Same. Specially when they do a dumb gimmick like endless space 2's.

There was a point during EA when ES2's tech screen was laid out similar to how EL does it:

Not the most readable thing ever, but a hell of a lot better than what we ended up with. Then people complained that it wasn't enough like ES1... :shepicide:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Strobe posted:

I really like the idea of a darkened-out full tech tree that lights up as you research things, and reveals the next tech available after a possible research lead. Whoever suggested showing the tree with what you have researched in green, what cards you rolled this time in yellow, and the next techs after them grayed out but visible had a drat good idea.
*slowly pulls SotS1 in from off screen*

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Speaking of SotS research, one of the cool things it did is having different research costs depending on which connections you unlocked. Because getting gravitic beams is a lot easier if you have tractor beams than it is when you're trying to get to them from Spinal Laser mounts. Some of the cheaper connections were rarer, so sometimes you'd get a pretty deep tech earlier because you happened to roll a big discount connection to it, which lead to good variance in different playthroughs.

Stuff like making Destroyer tech cheaper if you've already upgraded your corvettes because you already know how to reinforce ships, or giving you a discount on food production upgrades if you happen to already know how to genetically manipulate lifeforms.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

GunnerJ posted:

In that case, taking the perk should add the relevant pre-req tech as a guaranteed option if you don't already have it.

Taking the Galactic Wonders ascension perk will make Megaengineering show up every time when you need to pick a new tech to research.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Have galactic wonders been weighted differently in terms of the AI picking it? I used to almost never see the AI build mega-structures but in the last 3 games I played about 75% of the late game countries managed to build the full set.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I have literally never seen the AI construct one.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I've seen awakened empires go on a building spree with gates, and maybe other empires build them too, but I don't recall off hand seeing anyone build a wonder itself. Or even restore one sitting in their borders.

It's not because of a lack of resources either since the AI is usually loaded by the end game. I don't k ow why they don't bother with them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I've seen awakened empires go on a building spree with gates, and maybe other empires build them too, but I don't recall off hand seeing anyone build a wonder itself. Or even restore one sitting in their borders.

It's not because of a lack of resources either since the AI is usually loaded by the end game. I don't k ow why they don't bother with them.

Weird, every surviving 2-bit empire in my most recent games all eventually build them. I was just surprised they bothered with the ascension picks. Total mix of ideologies too. Maybe that AI mod everyone likes does something? I don't have any mega-structure related mods.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Baronjutter posted:

Weird, every surviving 2-bit empire in my most recent games all eventually build them. I was just surprised they bothered with the ascension picks. Total mix of ideologies too. Maybe that AI mod everyone likes does something? I don't have any mega-structure related mods.

Oh the 1200-1300 hours I have in this game virtually all of that is playing unmodded. And even when I did try modding the only one I ever used for more than a trial run was CGM Budings, or something like that, which did ad new structures as well as some AI scripting but even then I don't recall anyone building anything.

Maybe I'm just misremembering but I certainly know it hasn't been common.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

What, you don't want to read through 200 techs and then carefully pick a minmax'd math avoiding the 80 trap techs?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

OddObserver posted:

What, you don't want to read through 200 techs and then carefully pick a minmax'd math avoiding the 80 trap techs?

For me that always boils down to "which tech makes the carriers good"

In Stellaris, that's none of them.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
A procedural tech tree could be cool, I do like the deck system a lot.

One thing I'd love is if techs had popups with procedural flavor text (quotes/journal entries from the researching scientist) ala Alpha Centauri upon being researched.

Perks too.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Baronjutter posted:

*gif of Michael Scott from the hit TV series "The Office" screaming "NO! NO!!! NO!!!"*

The Path of Exile passive tree is actually an excellent take on class differentiation that doesn't put a hard limit on what you could possibly do in the game. All classes share the same tree, but start off in different places, so the player can choose to spend points to specialize in the class's optimal passive build or otherwise on branching off to do something outside of the class's normal routes. This leads to a much broader range of possibilities and spaces for players to invent exotic builds. I think a similar approach could be taken for a 4x game where your species' starting traits or ethics could predispose you towards certain techs but not lock you out of possibilities. You can sort of see that in the tendency for materialists to go robots and spiritualists to go down psionics -- like that but more.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Getting +research alternatives is functionally similar to getting rerolls. OTOH, rerolls would greatly devalue +alternatives.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Taking the Galactic Wonders ascension perk will make Megaengineering show up every time when you need to pick a new tech to research.

Master Builders, not Galactic Wonders. You can't take Galactic Wonders unless you already have Mega-Engineering.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DrSunshine posted:

The Path of Exile passive tree is actually an excellent take on class differentiation that doesn't put a hard limit on what you could possibly do in the game. All classes share the same tree, but start off in different places, so the player can choose to spend points to specialize in the class's optimal passive build or otherwise on branching off to do something outside of the class's normal routes. This leads to a much broader range of possibilities and spaces for players to invent exotic builds. I think a similar approach could be taken for a 4x game where your species' starting traits or ethics could predispose you towards certain techs but not lock you out of possibilities. You can sort of see that in the tendency for materialists to go robots and spiritualists to go down psionics -- like that but more.

Of course then they basically ruined t with the ascendancy system so that if you want to use pets you're stuck with the Witch because she's the only one with pet bonuses in her ascendancy classes etc.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

OddObserver posted:

My least favorite is civ: beyond earth which features an unreadable tech web in which each individual tech can, and sometimes but not always should, be researched up to three times

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Has anyone ever had a federation victory work for them? I've got the achievement already from winning alone but I swear it always credits a different federation for winning when it ends.

It's not a huge deal but it's a pain.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

Taear posted:

Has anyone ever had a federation victory work for them? I've got the achievement already from winning alone but I swear it always credits a different federation for winning when it ends.

Not getting the cheevo for a win when my 1300 pop empire won a federation victory with some ~200 pop foxes and some ~150 pop hive mind shrooms was irritating! I can't even load the save and try again to see if I can get it a decade later because iron man.

I read it credits whomever is leading the federation at the time the victory condition gets tripped. I don't have enough data to confirm this though.

Related - does anyone know if you can win a game more than once? In the above save, can I disband my federation, go on a murder spree, and win the solo victory?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Just hit end game crisis with my Determined Exterminators. It was the Unbidden. First time ever since I started playing this game again.

Even better - just a few years later some chucklefucks blew up one of the mercenary habitats and now there is a Great Khan.

None of this poses a threat to me because I am in the unstoppable steamroller stage of existence. I don't joke when I say I've never created a civ this rich/powerful. 6x 120k fleets with room for at least 2 or 3 more if I needed them. I'm clearing 1.5k energy/1.5k minerals per month easy.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

lol the Great Khan died almost immediately. Turns out when you're a mid game crisis and you waltz into the end game you're not long for this galaxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Yessod posted:

It's actually very easy to specialize in particular sections of tech. Choose as the lead scientist someone with the appropriate specialty. It affects both speed and likelihood of tech picks, so you can even have them out doing something else, then swap them in when you're finishing up the last month of research and weigh the dice toward something you want. Need better buildings and robots and infrastructure? Industry. Clear annoying blockers and get more core worlds? New Worlds. Command Limit and Fleet Limit? Military Theory. Better combat ships? Particles.

Once I've finished the initial round of exploration with my +anomaly scientists, and start settling them in to augmenting my biggest research worlds, I'll often replace scientists as they die with a specialty I may find useful. Military Theory and Particles are common ones, or whichever ascension path I'm going for.

gently caress that, I shouldn't have to micromanage my scientists or keep a stable of scientists to rotate according to my current tech desires. Just give me a policy or edict instead.