Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Tweetbot is still good. Until it doesn't work I'll stick with it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Seems neat, missing hashtag and username suggestions though but it has dark mode and as far as I'm concerned this app is great.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Loved Fenix on Android but looks under-featured compared to Twitterrific, at least right now.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm looking for an app that I can use with Siri Shortcuts to log medication taken. I'd like to be able to say "Hey Siri, I took [medication]" to log it somewhere, and to ask "Hey Siri, did I take [medication] today?" and respond with yes or no. Also, if I leave my home without logging medication I'd like a notification (on my watch) to tell me so. I don't care about saving a history of this or anything, I'm just sitting here today at work wondering if I took a pill or not and I'm not sure.

Any suggestions?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm looking for an app that I can use with Siri Shortcuts to log medication taken. I'd like to be able to say "Hey Siri, I took [medication]" to log it somewhere, and to ask "Hey Siri, did I take [medication] today?" and respond with yes or no. Also, if I leave my home without logging medication I'd like a notification (on my watch) to tell me so. I don't care about saving a history of this or anything, I'm just sitting here today at work wondering if I took a pill or not and I'm not sure.

Any suggestions?

The app I was looking for is Streaks in case anyone was looking for something similar. It can't answer the question for me about whether or not I took a pill today, but that's fine. Either way I ended up deleting the app because it was too much of a hassle.

But in looking for how to do this I found a way to use persistent variables/parameters in Siri Shortcuts, effectively making it possible to ask Siri "did I take a pill today." It can also be used to set variables that Siri Shortcuts can remember for later on. All you need to do is to use the "Get File" and "Save File" actions and the Files app. You can write a file with a date or parameter value, and Siri can later read it without requiring the phone to be unlocked. The bolded part is a big deal because from what I can tell, the phone needs to be unlocked to access content from other files from like Bear, Drafts, etc.

For the pills thing for example, I can write a file called lastpill.txt into my Files/Shortcuts directory, with an ISO date time stamp after triggering a Streaks workflow or whatever. In another shortcut, I can read that same file to get timestamp in it, then compare that date to the current date. If that day was marked as the 15th and today is the 16th then I can have Siri say "no" to me and vice versa with an if/else statement.

Another useful thing for persistent variables is say I have a workflow called "Play My Playlist." I have multiple playlists but I don't want to have to choose which one I want to play every time I run the workflow. So I can have the workflow read a Files/Shortcut/myplaylist.txt file which might just contain the word "chill". In my "Play My Playlist" workflow, it can read that file, and if the content == "chill" then it plays my for you "Chill" playlist, or if it equals "favorites" then I can make it plat that instead, and if it's neither of these it can just play a different default playlist and so on. The useful/cool part of this is that I can make another workflow that triggers when I say "Hey Siri, change my default playlist" which will read that text file, speak out loud what it's currently set to and ask if I want to change it, and then I can change it all via voice.

One more thing about these text files is that you can pass in dictionaries or key=value pairs as well. They could be useful for eg storing API keys to various services,

Dictionary:
code:
{"darksky": "abcdefghijklmnop12345633", "ifttt": "dljhfjslhgfsljhgsjlhgls"}
Or other useful information like

key=value pairs (more readable by humans):
code:
name=boris
favorite_number=69
The key=value stuff can be converted into a dictionary via Shortcuts by "Replace Text" (regex replace \n with &) and then passing it into "Get Dictionary from Input".

e: You can append or prepend to these files, but you can't update them "directly." You'll have to read the content, make whatever changes, and overwrite the entire file.

One more example about why persistent values are awesome: I like to clear my mind in the evenings by doing some yoga and then mindful meditation. And what I want to do is to flow from yoga into meditation without having to look at a phone screen. Shortcuts can't really do this natively because 1) it's not possible to pause a workflow for the 20+ minutes a yoga session would take, and 2) my meditation app can't be opened by Shortcuts because it's not supported.

So I get around this with one workflow that writes a file with the current time + duration of yoga (e.g., 30 minutes in the future), and I have another workflow that logs Mindful Minutes into Health starting from that timestamp until the current timestamp when I run this workflow. In my first workflow I send a notification to myself with the url link to run the second workflow. This way after the yoga thing ends I can just close my eyes and go straight into meditating on my own, and when I'm ready I can open my notification and tap the link, and then confirm that I want to add mindful minutes into Health.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 16, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So Tweetbot 5 came out and I'm down with all the changes except for the one where it's even worse about notifying me when people mention me.

I know Twitter limited access to third-party apps recently and this was also an issue in Tweetbot 4, but 4 felt like it handled this better than 5. I don't think I'm getting any notifications in 5. I didn't turn notifications off or anything, but like sometimes I'll check Tweetbot and someone will have @'ed me hours ago but I was never notified about it.

e: lol wait, I checked my notification settings in the app and they were all shut off. I had to turn them back on. I definitely hadn't turned them off though. Does updating to 5 just disable all notifications by default??? :raise:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 22, 2018

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I just updated to 5 as well and my notification settings persisted.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

A new major version of Tweetbot came out and it isn't a "you have to buy this again, again" situation? :aaaaa:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

astral posted:

A new major version of Tweetbot came out and it isn't a "you have to buy this again, again" situation? :aaaaa:

Yeah, they're claiming the Twitter API changes sorta forced them to rethink some things. You can still totally pay them money if you liked the app, which I did, because I like the app.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

astral posted:

They ask for donations now which I did immediately because Tweetbot owns.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

e: lol wait, I checked my notification settings in the app and they were all shut off. I had to turn them back on. I definitely hadn't turned them off though. Does updating to 5 just disable all notifications by default??? :raise:

Thanks for mentioning this; it apparently disabled them for me, too. Just found that and fixed it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

FYI, if you go ahead and give a tip of any amount in Tweetbot 5 you'll get some new themes from doing so. It's really neat.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just noticed Tweetbot 5 also doesn't show verified checkmarks on the avatars of verified accounts. Like it does if you click through to their profile, but it won't in the timeline.

Is there a setting to change that? 4 always showed them.

e: Yeah, there totally is, and it's turned off by default. What the hell man lol

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I just noticed Tweetbot 5 also doesn't show verified checkmarks on the avatars of verified accounts. Like it does if you click through to their profile, but it won't in the timeline.

Is there a setting to change that? 4 always showed them.

e: Yeah, there totally is, and it's turned off by default. What the hell man lol

The quest for symmetry.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Skeezy posted:

FYI, if you go ahead and give a tip of any amount in Tweetbot 5 you'll get some new themes from doing so. It's really neat.

Where do you see this at? I thought I bought or tipped them before but I don’t see any themes other than light and dark. I don’t even see a way to tip them.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Where do you see this at? I thought I bought or tipped them before but I don’t see any themes other than light and dark. I don’t even see a way to tip them.

Go to settings and hit support Tweetbot on the bottom. As far as I know this is new for version 5 at least in regards of getting themes for tipping.

You can do the $1 tip and after you’ll unlock some more themes.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Skeezy posted:

Go to settings and hit support Tweetbot on the bottom. As far as I know this is new for version 5 at least in regards of getting themes for tipping.

I presune hot dog stand is a lunch-sized tip exclusive?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Twitter API plum give out

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Are the themes worth tipping for? I haven't yet, but if so, I totally would. I mean, I've already bought like 2 versions of Tweetbot in the past anyway haha

I use night mode 100% of the time but vintage and console are the ones that interest me the most on that list.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Do any of those themes bring back the old icon? I’m not a big fan of this new grandpa aged bird.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do any of those themes bring back the old icon? I’m not a big fan of this new grandpa aged bird.
It looks so angry

An angry bird, if you will

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Skeezy posted:

Yeah, can you share a couple of pictures of these themes? I’m interested.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

IllegallySober posted:

Yeah, can you share a couple of pictures of these themes? I’m interested.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Huh, I thought Vintage and Console would be my favorites based on the names, but turns out Pumpkin and Manhattan are.

I'm definitely gonna tip. Thanks for tipping ( :haw: ) the scales for me!

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I've been using Wunderlist as a cross-platform grocery list app between myself and my SO, who's an Android user. She's probably going to switch to iOS with her next phone, and I'd like to replace Wunderlist with an iOS / Mac-centric app since some of Wunderlist's interface stuff is really bad, especially on the desktop side (it takes like three separate clicks to delete each individual item, with no key command at all 😑). Is there a recommended iOS / Mac grocery list-type app that is goon-approved?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

terre packet posted:

I've been using Wunderlist as a cross-platform grocery list app between myself and my SO, who's an Android user. She's probably going to switch to iOS with her next phone, and I'd like to replace Wunderlist with an iOS / Mac-centric app since some of Wunderlist's interface stuff is really bad, especially on the desktop side (it takes like three separate clicks to delete each individual item, with no key command at all 😑). Is there a recommended iOS / Mac grocery list-type app that is goon-approved?

Reminders works fine and has Siri integration!

Paprika is what our family uses though, for recipes as well. You can even add groceries right from a recipe!

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Is Tweetbot any better at loading pictures / replies than the official app?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Turambar posted:

Is Tweetbot any better at loading pictures / replies than the official app?

I haven't used the official app in a long time, but I've never had a problem with pictures in Tweetbot. Replies can be kinda funky sometimes, usually they work perfectly, but especially on threads sometimes I have to open a web view to see the whole thread.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

terre packet posted:

AnyList is also a great option.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Google Keep supports shared lists. The android app is markedly better than the iOS app because you can see each other typing and have an edit war in real time :kimchi:

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Thwomp posted:

AnyList is also a great option.

Seconding AnyList. It has an Apple Watch app that is pretty handy too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
CarPlay question: can Waze use voice while connected as it seems when I press the mic and yell at it it has no effect. Is support ever going to be added for 3rd party carplay stuff to get voice support?

Otherwise it’s kinda useless a lot of the time.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

priznat posted:

CarPlay question: can Waze use voice while connected as it seems when I press the mic and yell at it it has no effect. Is support ever going to be added for 3rd party carplay stuff to get voice support?

Otherwise it’s kinda useless a lot of the time.
Hmm, not sure what’s wrong with your set up. I talk to Siri and Waze in CarPlay and it works fine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

dexter6 posted:

Hmm, not sure what’s wrong with your set up. I talk to Siri and Waze in CarPlay and it works fine.

Weird. The voice works fine for siri stuff but on waze I get the mic icon to listen but nothing. Do you just press the steering wheel button to talk to waze? I have been pressing the onscreen mic.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

priznat posted:

Weird. The voice works fine for siri stuff but on waze I get the mic icon to listen but nothing. Do you just press the steering wheel button to talk to waze? I have been pressing the onscreen mic.
I have an aftermarket head unit which requires an aftermarket external mic.

So to get Siri, I have to hit the siri button on my head unit, and to talk to Waze I hit the mic button on-screen in Waze.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If your iPhone has suddenly started becoming unresponsive, or going into a reboot/crash loop, it could be GasBuddy's fault.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/10/22/apple-reportedly-working-with-gasbuddy-after-update-leaves-iphones-unresponsive

Seems to affect iPhone 8, 8 Plus, X, and XS Max mostly.

I had it on my 7, but deleted it once I saw this cause I didn't want to take the chance..

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

terre packet posted:

Anylist is the bee's knees, and it works with the Amazon Echo which is awesome. My wife and I use it for tracking groceries, birthday/Christmas lists for people, anything.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

If your iPhone has suddenly started becoming unresponsive, or going into a reboot/crash loop, it could be GasBuddy's fault.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/10/22/apple-reportedly-working-with-gasbuddy-after-update-leaves-iphones-unresponsive

Seems to affect iPhone 8, 8 Plus, X, and XS Max mostly.

I had it on my 7, but deleted it once I saw this cause I didn't want to take the chance..

Road Trip supremacy! (Although I do wish there were mode cloud sync options)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Are there any non subscription based apps that play audio from youtube without the video?