Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Ultimate Mango posted:

You don’t want to fly too close to the sun.

How many of you had all the weapons taken from your toys as a kid? Sure, I had transformers and Star Wars and all that stuff but no guns or lightsabers or missiles or anything like that. Good times. Not.

Well, it worked. You haven't murdered anyone, have you? HAVE YOU?

e: oof page snipe, here's something I bought last week

Wifi Toilet has a new favorite as of 05:36 on Oct 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
none of you fuckers laughed at my joke

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

ChocNitty posted:

Played tons of soul calibur when the dreamcast came out. Gonna try to get decent at this. If I do i’m gonna upgrade to a better fightstick.

Built this a couple weeks ago :getin:
Need to get SC6, but I've bought way too many games recently so I'm gonna wait for it to go on sale.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Wifi Toilet posted:

Well, it worked. You haven't murdered anyone, have you? HAVE YOU?

e: oof page snipe, here's something I bought last week

Is that double headed? If so where from? I bought one from a goon years ago and lost it in my couch, need a new one.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

JEEVES420 posted:

Is that double headed? If so where from? I bought one from a goon years ago and lost it in my couch, need a new one.

Nah, just a standard common date dollar to fill a hole in an album.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

davebo posted:

Was it worse to have not had any of them, or worse to be like me and have one arm and two legs of it?

Worse to only have a couple pieces. I got Hook (the one with the boom and... uh hook on it) from a garage sale and I still have him, but having one robot thats designed to connect to a bunch of others... its like only having 2 or 3 of the Voltron lions. Can you even call them Voltron anything?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ultimate Mango posted:

How many of you had all the weapons taken from your toys as a kid? Sure, I had transformers and Star Wars and all that stuff but no guns or lightsabers or missiles or anything like that. Good times. Not.

My mom took away my River City Ransom game because you beat people up and gave me Dick Tracey instead, a game where you shoot people.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Mango posted:

My problem was my mom never knew who the main characters were so all my action figures were supporting characters. No He-Man or Skeletor, but I got that tri-face dude. No Luke or Darth, but...Lobot.

Make believe is no fun when you have no idea who the gently caress you’re even playing with.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Rolo posted:

My mom took away my River City Ransom game because you beat people up and gave me Dick Tracey instead, a game where you shoot people.

To be fair, that's juvenile delinquency vs the long arm of Justice.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

For my feet:

And because I like cowboy shooty games:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I don't own a PS4, so I'll live vicariously through you. RDR1 might just be the best game on the whole PS3.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Neither do I which is why I bought one. I also took Thurs-Weds off to play it. I have a kinda important Halloween party to go to on Saturday because it's hosted by a guy who just drunkenly offered me an amazing job and I wanna see if he was serious, but besides that it's gonna be nothing but drinking and playing video games for almost a week.

......I'm a 38 year old man.......:sigh:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Blackchamber posted:

its like only having 2 or 3 of the Voltron lions. Can you even call them Voltron anything?

Oh hell, I only had two of the Voltron lions too. My neighbor had the black center one and two others, but one was the same as one of mine, so even when we got together it was still missing a limb.

I'm gonna buy some micro SD cards once I get back to my desk.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Neither do I which is why I bought one. I also took Thurs-Weds off to play it. I have a kinda important Halloween party to go to on Saturday because it's hosted by a guy who just drunkenly offered me an amazing job and I wanna see if he was serious, but besides that it's gonna be nothing but drinking and playing video games for almost a week.

There's literally nothing wrong with this. You're a successful adult who can make his own decisions and it's not like you're blowing off the one thing that could be potentially really +EV to your life. It's going to be a great game, you know what you like to do, don't beat yourself up over it. There's too much guilt and shame in our society about doing things that you enjoy.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I took off this Friday and all of next week. Usually I'd be going somewhere but since I bought a house I'm hunkering down for the fall. Red Dead will be most of my time off. You're not alone fellow goon

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

My birthday is the 26th too.

RDR2 is my present to everyone else.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I gotta work Friday, there's a work party Friday night, and I got tickets for an all weekend festival. I won't get to play RDR2 until next week :|

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Buffalo MiniStation Thunderbolt USB 3.0 2 TB Portable Hard Drive (HD-PA2.0TU3) to replace the backup drive that died at work.

Oh-Three-Eleven (Oh-Three-Series) by my goon bbwarz friend Chris Bast.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

A little late in shipping but hot drat I have a replacement for the last one I had that killed itself. :toot:

That plus a wall mount and it's insane how nice my game room is now for the cost. A TV like this would have been like $15k a decade ago.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Just got a new job, so time to upgrade my wardrobe!

Bought some new dress shoes:

Also went on a shopping spree for new shirts and ties and poo poo... Been wearing jeans and polos for six years now and have gently caress all for a professional wardrobe.

Oh, and bought some Lederhosen as well too!
for Halloween

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Dewgy posted:

A TV like this would have been like $15k a decade ago.

A TV like that didn't exist a decade ago. You really can't compare tech by price to a decade ago.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

JEEVES420 posted:

A TV like that didn't exist a decade ago. You really can't compare tech by price to a decade ago.

That said, the adjusted price of luxury goods is low as hell these days. A "Good Bigscreen TV" in 2008 was like $2,500 before you even got into the LOL Performance price tier.

Now, it's more like $1,500 where you start getting into the absolute top tier.

(Yes I know that there are literally $20,000 TVs now and also then.. my point is that the same spot on the price/performance sweet spot is a lower price now than back then)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The problem with TVs is that they last forever. I bought my first ever HDTV in 2007 and it's still working like a champ. Yeah it's plasma and it's heavy but it still looks good IMO and I can't justify buying a new TV.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dewgy posted:

A little late in shipping but hot drat I have a replacement for the last one I had that killed itself. :toot:

That plus a wall mount and it's insane how nice my game room is now for the cost. A TV like this would have been like $15k a decade ago.

I've had basically this tv for a few years and its great.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Mu Zeta posted:

The problem with TVs is that they last forever. I bought my first ever HDTV in 2007 and it's still working like a champ. Yeah it's plasma and it's heavy but it still looks good IMO and I can't justify buying a new TV.

This is the problem the manufacturers have been trying to combat for a while. First, it was 3D and higher refresh. Now, they're trying to get everyone to transition to 4k.

I bought my tv in 2012 and it's still fine. Athough, for what I paid then, you can get one that's at least 10" bigger on the diagonal and 4k.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i've got older tvs too and i need to switch to something

we brought our nintendo switch over to a friend's house the other day and it looked so much better on their 4k

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's probably just a better display because the switch doesn't do 4k.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That said, the adjusted price of luxury goods is low as hell these days. A "Good Bigscreen TV" in 2008 was like $2,500 before you even got into the LOL Performance price tier.

(Yes I know that there are literally $20,000 TVs now and also then.. my point is that the same spot on the price/performance sweet spot is a lower price now than back then)

That's what I discovered. I got a 52" Mitsubishi LCD 10 years ago for $2.5k & when it died earlier this year I replaced it with a same-size LG that is miles beyond in tech quality.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

More like $800 back then for a 40" 720P Plasma of comparable manufacturer to TCL and similar in comparison to tech of the time.

The tech just isn't as flashy now as it was with going from fat tubes to skinny flat panels. Its a lot hard sell to say it has more pixels or more LEDs (Don't get me started on the term 4k and how it is used to describe UHD TVs...UHD is not 4k)

After the 3 main LCD manufactures (not TV but the panels that go in them) got caught price fixing the price on LCD did drop drastically which is part of the reason plasma was phased out. Then there was the whole LED SEA ordeal which caused not only the cost of LED backlit LCDs to drop in price but the emergence of OLED displays at around $2k. QLED have become the new tech but it is kind of a guessing game on if prices will continue to drop at the same rate with LEDs, what with the 3 major Diode factories being in China. From what I have seen the past few years at CSE and DSE the display market is kinda treading water for several reasons.

JEEVES420 has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Oct 22, 2018

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

JEEVES420 posted:

I mean, sure, but working at Best Buy in 2005 I got to see some fun poo poo, like an $11k flat panel that was something like 21" tops.

I'm exaggerating just as much as I'm not.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

There's literally nothing wrong with this. You're a successful adult who can make his own decisions and it's not like you're blowing off the one thing that could be potentially really +EV to your life. It's going to be a great game, you know what you like to do, don't beat yourself up over it. There's too much guilt and shame in our society about doing things that you enjoy.
Very much agree with this

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
I got a Roomba! My sister in law bought one on Amazon and they accidentally sent her 2, and they said she could keep the second one, so we took it off her hands. Pretty fun watching it navigate all the obstacles in the house. It ran for 3 hours today while I was at work and had 35 "dirt events" before it got stuck. Can't wait to go home and empty that bin and see how filthy we are.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Name him.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Sneeing Emu posted:

I got a Roomba! My sister in law bought one on Amazon and they accidentally sent her 2, and they said she could keep the second one, so we took it off her hands. Pretty fun watching it navigate all the obstacles in the house. It ran for 3 hours today while I was at work and had 35 "dirt events" before it got stuck. Can't wait to go home and empty that bin and see how filthy we are.

DJ Roomba.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Sneeing Emu posted:

I got a Roomba! My sister in law bought one on Amazon and they accidentally sent her 2, and they said she could keep the second one, so we took it off her hands.

:eyepop: You lucky dog! Imagine being such a wealthy company that they can just drop a €800 machine all like "nbd".

Do you know if this roomba is a systematic model or if it follows a random pattern?

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007
I have that same roomba and he’s amazing. Named him Ray Ray and hooked him up to my google home mini. Now i can voice command him and ask where he is. I feel like I’m in the future!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

If you compare a new LED TV to your old plasma, you could probably justify it just by the power savings.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Aramek posted:

Name him.

His name is Robit. In a Zoidberg voice.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Ours is Alice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Sneeing Emu posted:

Make them fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cD4mrTvVhM