Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Octopath is so cool looking. And being able to relive the opening 1-2 hours of a JRPG 8 times over seems extremely exciting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

In Training posted:

Octopath is so cool looking. And being able to relive the opening 1-2 hours of a JRPG 8 times over seems extremely exciting

it's cool but you also have to relive the midgame lull of a JRPG 8 times over

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lumpy the Cook posted:

"Th-th-the Switch has no upcoming games!! Waaaahhh" :rolleyes: That so? Explain this.

So yeah... anyone else spreading this GBS-tier toxicity is free to leave.

ty

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Tales of Woe posted:

it's cool but you also have to relive the midgame lull of a JRPG 8 times over

I unlocked all the starting jobs and did one persons chapter 2 and haven’t picked it back up since. some day maybe

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
the demo was cool but its' also 60 dolalrs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope it snows soon.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bolverkur posted:

I am playing Dark Souls Remastered on my Nintendo Switch and it's god drat amazing. It's incredible to play this on the go. What has surprised me is that for me there are two gamer muscle memories conflicting in this game. The button layout is exactly as it is on other consoles, which means that A is Circle, rolling and cancelling in menus, while B is X, the action button. This is extremely counter-intuitive on a Nintendo system, I am brainwashed into believing that A should always be the action button and B should cancel and roll/jump on a Nintendo controller. I've never struggled before with different controller layouts, for example the Xbox and Nintendo button layouts. I always know which button is which, but for some reason this is loving me up. I've played a lot of Dark Souls and I thought it would be more intuitive. You can't remap the menu buttons, but I've changed the ones for in-game prompts and rolling and I've since stopped dying to pressing the wrong button when I want to roll. I hope they patch the game and let people remap every button.

I've actually never gotten used to the left button being CONFIRM and the right button being CANCEL. I've been playing the Resident Evil hd remaster for 15 hours now and I still cancel out of poo poo when I meant to confirm.

I'm not sure if it's because I played so much nes and snes in my life or if it's because it makes more sense to me. In Japan, on every Playstation system the buttons act the way they do on Nintendo consoles. They changed it at the OS level for America. I've read somewhere that it makes sense for the rightmost button to be confirm (the way I am used to) but I forget what the reason is. Something about the leftmost makes more sense to be "back" or "cancel" I think.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

b_d posted:

I unlocked all the starting jobs and did one persons chapter 2 and haven’t picked it back up since. some day maybe

the chapter 2s are real slow except for olberic's arena thing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The game reminds me of DQ7 so far.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Octopath is extremely comfy. I've gotten back into it and really like it. Nothing beats Dragon Quest for me when it comes to JRPG comfyness, and with the FF games out next year I'd love for the DS remakes of 4-6 to be available on the Switch. Having 7+8 would be amazing as well. It's unlikely but since they're out on phones I'm hoping a re-rerelease would be a possibility.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I would expect ports of all the Dragon Quests will be coming to the switch eventually, but they'll probably wait until XI is out first

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the only HD versions of those are the mobile ones so be careful what you wish for

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

the only HD versions of those are the mobile ones so be careful what you wish for

The mobile ones are actually good though, believe it or not.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah if you could use a controller with the mobile versions they'd be definitive. I had touch screen D Pads though

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I thought the mobile ones were just the DS ones, except there's additional party dialogue in 4.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

Octopath is extremely comfy. I've gotten back into it and really like it. Nothing beats Dragon Quest for me when it comes to JRPG comfyness, and with the FF games out next year I'd love for the DS remakes of 4-6 to be available on the Switch. Having 7+8 would be amazing as well. It's unlikely but since they're out on phones I'm hoping a re-rerelease would be a possibility.

I thought 7 was coming to the Switch? 8 they must have lost the assets to or something, they never seem to remake it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bicyclops posted:

I thought 7 was coming to the Switch? 8 they must have lost the assets to or something, they never seem to remake it.

the post is saying the ff games are coming but those dq games would also be good

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

the post is saying the ff games are coming but those dq games would also be good

ah, cool. yeah, a DQ bundle of 4 - 6 would be great. the SNES remake of DQ3 (or any version that had the upgrades it got) would also be awesome.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dq5 DS port to switch with all the fancy spritework :worship:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i wonder why all the ff phone ports get the ugly 3d treatment but the dq ones stay sprites

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I think I heard in some Yuji Hori interview that management at Square-Enix is pretty distinctly split between FF and DQ stuff, he's still got a lot of control over what happens with anything DQ.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah I've never gotten the impression that there's any crossover between people who work on DQ and FF in any capacity

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tales of Woe posted:

yeah I've never gotten the impression that there's any crossover between people who work on DQ and FF in any capacity

There was once and it resulted in my favorite game of all time, Chrono Trigger

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

The remade it on 3DS not long ago.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Get a DSi XL (they are dirt cheap on ebay) and fall in love with the game all over again

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Get a DSi XL (they are dirt cheap on ebay) and fall in love with the game all over again
You know you can just put the cart into a 3DS, right?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FactsAreUseless posted:

You'd have to connect it to the internet to download the applicable compatibility update.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I already have one. Topic Locked.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ive heard the other releases of chrono trigger are bad or botch it in some way? is snes still the definitive way to play it?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

thinkin about buying a New Nintendo 2DS XL

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

extremebuff posted:

ive heard the other releases of chrono trigger are bad or botch it in some way? is snes still the definitive way to play it?
The DS version is good. It has a more accurate translation, although I prefer the Woolsey one for the most part. The translations in Zeal are way better though. Unfortunately, it adds a bizarre Pokemon minigame nobody did, and some truly terrible bonus dungeons. The music sounds great too. I recommend it, but don't do the bonus content. It doesn't beat the SNES version but is a good time if you've already played that. The PC and phone versions are complete garbage.

The best thing about the DS version is that it puts the battle menus on the bottom screen, so they don't block the battles.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

extremebuff posted:

the ds one is really good they just added extra stuff thats bad but can be easily skipped

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tyty. drat, i havent played chrono trigger since i was like 9 and barely remember it lol, ill put this on the queue

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

"you got Toriyama in my Sakaguchi!"
"you got Uematsu in my Horii!"

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Tales of Woe posted:

thinkin about buying a New Nintendo 2DS XL

I have one. It's good.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the new translation is pretty objectively better but it's hard to let go of some of the stuff i really liked from the Woolsey version. like, i forget what they changed it to, but i like that part where it goes:
Azala: The future...
Ayla: Future? What about future?
Azala: We... have no future.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

The PC and phone versions are complete garbage.

I think they actually fixed the PC version but I'm not about to spend money to find out.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The DS version is good but I miss Frog’s accent tbh. I managed to get an SNES cart at a decent price a couple years ago and I’m never letting that thing go

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah Tim Rogers got them to fix the steam version considerably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah but this isn't my autism speaking but it looks way better on the DSi XL. Big screens running at the proper resolution, all DSi XL screens are IPS, and the speakers on the DSi XL are way better than any version of the 3DS. For $25 used the system is worth it