Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Blade Runner posted:

I can't imagine desperately hoarding a dollar's worth of loving candy while kids show up to your loving house trick or treating making you not broken

There is a massive difference between asking your spouse to put aside a couple of piece of candy for you later and "desperately hoarding a dollar's worth of candy."

One is what happened, and the other is hyperbolic nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Blade Runner posted:

If your partners desires could be ascribed to a Disney villain perhaps reconsider this
the evil chicks are always hotter though

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Crimpolioni posted:

I'd seriously divorce my wife if she tried to pull some poo poo like that, wouldn't even have to think twice.

Welp, as long as set aside the candy like she asked, instead of pretending big papa knows what's best, I don't see the problem.

loquacius posted:

I dunno if your perspective regarding who is or is not "invested" is 100% accurate here

Unless you think I'm replying to myself, and faking all the quotes... I'm not even bothering to quote/reply to all of them. At least one person in here posted like three rebuttals in a row without a single response to him from me.

sandoz posted:

i snatched a full shot of apricot brandy off the picnic table when i was a kid, downed it, and then slammed the glass down like marion in raiders of the lost ark lol

Doesn't every family have at least one story about a toddler or young kid getting hold of the dregs of an unattended beer? That's a bit different from feeding it to them, of course...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

a child's first beer should be Milwaukee's best so I can have more shared experiences

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Kamikaze Raider posted:

There is a massive difference between asking your spouse to put aside a couple of piece of candy for you later and "desperately hoarding a dollar's worth of candy."

One is what happened, and the other is hyperbolic nonsense.

If children show up to your house on Halloween and you have candy, give the children the candy

You can buy more you're an adult

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Normal people would realize that it's loving candy, maybe one party would apologize and/or shrug, then one of them would pick up some candy to replace it the next time they went out because who gives a poo poo it's loving candy.

Imagine this conversation was about Q-tips or something equally cheap and inane to drive the point home if you still aren't getting it.

If these people are struggling with candy troubles I can't imagine how they'll deal with an actually substantial relationship issue.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Do you live somewhere where the amount of candy is displayed outside of each house, and if the number drops by some amount without kids there, do you blow some kind of whistle and publicly shame them?

How the gently caress would the kids know if they ran out of candy because they gave it all out as opposed to eating it? Are they assholes if they didn't eat it, but underestimated the amount of traffic they were going to have and run out? What about people who don't care about halloween but ate some candy on that day? Are they horrible assholes because they should have saved that candy for the random kids that may come to their door?

Some of you people are seriously broken.

You don't have to hypothesize and hand-wring over this, it's fine to not give out any candy on Halloween or to accidentally run out of candy, you just turn off your house's porch lights to signal that you have no candy. More kids came this year than we expected, sorry kids we ran out.

They had candy left but a big group showed up. If you have 10 pieces + 10 hidden pieces and 20 children show up, is it better to A) just give the group 10 pieces and say "heh sorry kids that's all you get, I'm eating the rest of my candy tomorrow" or do you B) give them all 20 pieces and then buy more at the store to satisfy your insatiable candy cravings?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
^^^ is there a reason that "give out the 10 you have ready for kids to have, do not tell them about the 10 set aside for your wife" isn't an option? Are you under some kind of gypsy curse to never tell any falsehood and also overexplain everything?

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

a child's first beer should be Milwaukee's best so I can have more shared experiences
My first beer was a labatt's blue which is maybe a half-step up in quality. It also made me think I didn't like beer until I was like 24.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 22, 2018

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

"where are my loving PAPER TOWELS" "the kid spilled something so I had to clean it up" "I wanted those paper towels!!!" "We can go buy more they cost like" "NO!! I needed THOSE!! other ones aren't as good"

This is the conversation this woman had, she is insane

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Normal people would realize that it's loving candy, maybe one party would apologize and/or shrug, then one of them would pick up some candy to replace it the next time they went out because who gives a poo poo it's loving candy.

Imagine this conversation was about Q-tips or something equally cheap and inane to drive the point home if you still aren't getting it.

If these people are struggling with candy troubles I can't imagine how they'll deal with an actually substantial relationship issue.

Imagine that children are showing up to your house expecting to be given Q-tips on this, the most magical night of their year, the one time per annum they can get a whole bunch of Q-Tips and just go nuts on them, but that you don't want to give them your Q-tips, because you have given out enough Q-tips for one night, and these Q-tips are just for you, so you turn out the lights and pretend you aren't home in the hopes that these children will go away

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Do you live somewhere where the amount of candy is displayed outside of each house, and if the number drops by some amount without kids there, do you blow some kind of whistle and publicly shame them?

How the gently caress would the kids know if they ran out of candy because they gave it all out as opposed to eating it? Are they assholes if they didn't eat it, but underestimated the amount of traffic they were going to have and run out? What about people who don't care about halloween but ate some candy on that day? Are they horrible assholes because they should have saved that candy for the random kids that may come to their door?

Some of you people are seriously broken.

The universally approved symbol for "No More Candy" is you turn off the porch light.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I can't imagine marrying somebody that would get assblasted over having 50 cents worth of candy given away. Times must get tough for the family when the tube of toothpaste gets to the very end.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I say instead of giving out candy you steal it instead and do like a robin hood thing where you're stealing from the kids with pillow cases then you find the kids with small buckets and pelt them with the stolen candy

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

^^^ is there a reason that "give out the 10 you have ready for kids to have, do not tell them about the 10 set aside for your wife" isn't an option? Are you under some kind of gypsy curse to never tell any falsehood and also overexplain everything?

That's just option A. I find that I have to overexplain things because idiots have difficulty understanding basic concepts like "give out your candy on halloween, turn off the porch light when you run out"

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

They had candy left but a big group showed up. If you have 10 pieces + 10 hidden pieces and 20 children show up, is it better to A) just give the group 10 pieces and say "heh sorry kids that's all you get, I'm eating the rest of my candy tomorrow" or do you B) give them all 20 pieces and then buy more at the store to satisfy your insatiable candy cravings?

Yawgmoth posted:

blarzgh posted:

The universally approved symbol for "No More Candy" is you turn off the porch light.

No poo poo. What the gently caress does that have to do with anything I said there?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

In fairness, I recall the OP saying, "its not really a big deal, just wondering who's in the right here." and we all took it and ran with it like it was on fire.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

blarzgh posted:

In fairness, I recall the OP saying, "its not really a big deal, just wondering who's in the right here." and we all took it and ran with it like it was on fire.

Don't temper this situation with rationality. I want the streets to run caramel melted from pure hate!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Kamikaze Raider posted:

No poo poo. What the gently caress does that have to do with anything I said there?

Why are you yelling at me are you out of candy?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
or what you can also do is leave your porch light on and when kids come to your door you can answer it visibly upset and yell "well what if I bought this candy for me??????" and start shoveling it into your mouth wrappers and all right in front of them

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

just throw your bitcoins at the children until they go away

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

My first beer was a labatt's blue which is maybe a half-step up in quality. It also made me think I didn't like beer until I was like 24.

My enjoyment of the Beast goes like:
code:

/
6yrold   _college_/
    \   /
     \_/
Dislike                          Time
After so much natty and keystone, an occasional bit of garbage with a distinct flavor like the best or steel reserve really does taste good.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

I'm gonna host a monthly chalk talk on Candy Ethics at my local public library.

And my first experience with beer was Natty Light at like age 5 or whatever when my grandfather and father both gave me sips and sat there laughing at me when I made a face.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

QuarkJets posted:

just throw your bitcoins at the children until they go away

don't steal my ideas

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Of all the arguments this thread has had, the one that involves not giving children candy on Halloween so I can have it is not the one I thought would span multiple pages

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I bust my rear end all year so that I can eat candy every Halloween! Those children don't deserve it! Kids today are so entitled!

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
In the immortal words of Saint Doob: let the KIDS!!! eat what they want!

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Of all the arguments this thread has had, the one that involves not giving children candy on Halloween so I can have it is not the one I thought would span multiple pages

Goons hating kids isn't a new phenomenon. #childfree

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I will do battle over this, those children deserve the candy

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Omg candy fight !!!!!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

CharlestheHammer posted:

People like to argue in this thread. Someone yelled at me for saying a slow cooker dump cake would probably be alright. This isn't a complaint honestly this thread is weird as hell and I love it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Blade Runner posted:

I will do battle over this, those children deserve the candy

I will grab a goon and dangle him upside down over a crowd of children so that his candy stash falls out of his pockets into their waiting hands

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I took all the good pieces of candy already and left 3 Musketeers only for those little shits.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Leon Einstein posted:

I took all the good pieces of candy already and left 3 Musketeers only for those little shits.

Hey, thanks for putting those aside for m...
What the gently caress are you doing?!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

dudeness posted:

People like to argue in this thread. Someone yelled at me for saying a slow cooker dump cake would probably be alright. This isn't a complaint honestly this thread is weird as hell and I love it.

Yeah, bud, I'd also fight you for saying "dump cake"

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I will do murder over candy

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loquacius posted:

Imagine that children are showing up to your house expecting to be given Q-tips on this, the most magical night of their year, the one time per annum they can get a whole bunch of Q-Tips and just go nuts on them, but that you don't want to give them your Q-tips, because you have given out enough Q-tips for one night, and these Q-tips are just for you, so you turn out the lights and pretend you aren't home in the hopes that these children will go away

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this isn't crazy, they're kids, it's halloween. :(

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

this isn't crazy, they're kids, it's halloween. :(

reply isn't edit

E: gently caress it i quit. nvm

hawowanlawow