Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Pyromancer posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing

It is a bad thing. The music doesn't do it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

ilmucche posted:

It is a bad thing. The music doesn't do it for me.

Sounds like you're the bad thing, wimp

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
The original Doom had some legit catchy tunes that are instantly recognizable to this day. It might be unfair to compare them, and both soundtracks fit their respective games' atmosphere just fine, but Doom 2016's music is definitely not as good.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You have to listen to the notes he isn't playing

Yeah, I mean, to be clear, I'm not saying "In my opinion, on a deeper read, the allegory is strong" I mean there's a clear cut secret story there with all clues and poo poo and its well done and kind of harrowing.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

oh dope posted:

The original Doom had some legit catchy tunes that are instantly recognizable to this day.

As slight reworks of classic metal riffs.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Dross posted:

As slight reworks of classic metal riffs.

Pretty sure I could chop up Master of Puppets and sell it as E1M1

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Discworld 1 was the best point and click adventure game

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Shibawanko posted:

Uhm, I mean, I really liked Discworld, and often hum some of the music from it to this day, but, ehh... it really wasn't. Even the Neverhood Chronicles was better, tbh.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Shibawanko posted:

How is this unpopular

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

How is this unpopular

It was panned kinda for being obtuse and difficult and nonsensical but I like it for that. I enjoy the feeling of being stuck in those games.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I still prefer Discworld 2 over the original, but my god, don't be like me and play the PSX version of it. The load times still haunt my dreams.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Discworld had good voice acting when literally nothing else did

Also it made more sense than any SCUMM game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doom 2016 has music I wouldn’t listen to outside of the context of playing the game but it’s absolutely awesome for blasting demons.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The problem with Binding of Isaac is that it's too drat slow. It feels glacial compared to Enter the Gungeon, Nuclear Throne, or Wizard of Ledgend. The shooting just isn't very satisfying.

Nuclear Throne is the best.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 22, 2018

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

TheScott2K posted:

Discworld had good voice acting when literally nothing else did

Also it made more sense than any SCUMM game

It had a cast of four people and they blew the entire budget on eric idle.

On the other hand doing that lead to a voice clip of eric idle saying gently caress getting shipped so....

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

veni veni veni posted:

Doom 2016 has music I wouldn’t listen to outside of the context of playing the game but it’s absolutely awesome for blasting demons.

This. The tracks are meant to fade in and out with the action. Catchiness isn't the point.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

quote:

A significant fall storm may form along the East Coast late this week as a cold front combines with the remnants of Category 5 Hurricane Willa, forecast to hit Mexico’s west coast Tuesday. The storm may generate heavy rain, mountain snow, and, at the coast, strong winds and high seas.

The biggest risk of disruptive weather will be in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast over the weekend. It is too soon to project exactly how this storm will unfold and where it will hit hardest.

how can we just allow mexico to send their worst weather north across the border illegally? this is an outrage

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Roguelikes/lites are all terrible. Don't tell me this is a popular opinion because there are literally hundreds of roguelikes/lites on steam

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Away all Goats posted:

Roguelikes/lites are all terrible. Don't tell me this is a popular opinion because there are literally hundreds of roguelikes/lites on steam

Ahem...ADOM

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Away all Goats posted:

there are also a million rpg maker games on steam, do you think that that is because people think they are good? there is a factor you are missing here

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Amateur game makers :argh:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Binding of Isaac may be fine to play but I'll never find out because I can't stand the newgrounds baby fetus :D aesthetic

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Bioshock infinite is fine

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

food court bailiff posted:

there are also a million rpg maker games on steam, do you think that that is because people think they are good? there is a factor you are missing here

RPG Maker games rule

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

food court bailiff posted:

thats different because there is literally a program called RPG maker that makes making GBS threads those games out easy.

And yes, people do think RPGs are good

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 22, 2018

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

It's more than fine, it's good*!

*Assuming you don't care about the gameplay and are willing to overlook that one really really bad plot point.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Kagero: Deception 2 is the best game on the playstation.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Kagero: Deception 2 is the best game on the playstation.

Armorines, bitch!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

Bioshock Infinite is not as good as critics made it out to be, and it's about 100 times better than cynical nerds make it out to be.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Bioshock Infinite is not as good as critics made it out to be, and it's about 100 times better than cynical nerds make it out to be.

Counterpoint: It is parboiled rear end.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Never heard of it but I'll give it a whirl.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
is anyone else besides me worried that Doom Eternal will be a massive letdown? there are so many things in the trailer/gameplay footage that just feel off to me. i don't like the redesigned monsters at all, plus things like the the grappling hook and other additions to player movement look out of place in a doom game.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

b-minus1 posted:

is anyone else besides me worried that Doom Eternal will be a massive letdown? there are so many things in the trailer/gameplay footage that just feel off to me. i don't like the redesigned monsters at all, plus things like the the grappling hook and other additions to player movement look out of place in a doom game.

I think a big contributor to the success of doom 2016 was the surprise of it being so much better than people expected. With that out of the way, doom eternal has an uphill battle to one-up itself

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Never heard of it but I'll give it a whirl.

I was joking, it's terrible. Probably one of the worst PS1 games.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

signalnoise posted:

Pretty sure I could chop up Master of Puppets and sell it as E1M1

E1M1 is No Remorse off Kill 'Em All

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I was joking, it's terrible. Probably one of the worst PS1 games.

Wait...you were taking a shot at Kagero: Deception 2?

Shirt off motherfucker, let's go!

Seriously though, murdering people in that game is so satisfying, eat my rear end McLord and Barbalos!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

peter gabriel posted:

Yep. I like the ending too, it's neat and creepy. It has at least half a dozen memorable setpieces and the big rebel leader heel turn was thematically on point (if kinda clumsily conveyed) given the 'racism as original sin' backbone to the game. The shooting was ok, if not stellar.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 23, 2018

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Even though it's not a flying game, I have a feeling Bioshock Infinite is the closest thing we are ever going to get to another Crimson Skies game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I genuinely don't get the ridiculous hyperbole that I see all the time about what a supposed pile of crap B:I is. It didn't have the best gunplay ever but it was perfectly serviceable, and it had a lot of great set pieces and a really entertaining story. The people that really hate it always seem like huge cretins which makes me like it even more than I would otherwise, because honestly I don't even really give a poo poo about Bioshock as a series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

A lot of Bioshock Infinite's problem is that it isn't smart, but it is trying or pretending to be. It literally does a "both sides can be evil" thing about people fighting against their own enslavement.