Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/PlannedSickDays/status/1054076600344629251?s=19

Please update your jokes accordingly. Especially Michigan fans who still pretend Kirk only goes for it on fourth down against them because they can't handle that he just owns them
I need Iowa to murder Michigan in the B1G CG. Can you do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fifty Three posted:

I need Iowa to murder Michigan in the B1G CG. Can you do that?

I don't think we'll actually make it there but sure.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

MourningView posted:

I don't think we'll actually make it there but sure.
I would readily trade a loss to Iowa next week to win against Wiscy and see that happen.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

UGA -6.5 against Florida. Ehhhhhhh

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

TheGreyGhost posted:

Urban's inability to figure out a running game that doesn't involve a quarterback carrying 20 times a game

I mean that doesn't even seem too terrible considering how successful Urban has been at various times with offenses featuring heavy doses of QB run. But if that's been your whole deal for the last 15+ years maybe recruit dual-threat QBs and actually have them carry the ball? I don't really understand how or why Urban wouldn't have a roster built to run his offense after overseeing like 7 recruiting classes at Ohio State.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

D.N. Nation posted:

UGA -6.5 against Florida. Ehhhhhhh

lsu is better than people thought and florida is probably not as good as they look

counterpoint rivalry games are weird and the neutral site probably does georgia more favors than uf

idk i doubt florida can cover the spread much less win; they looked okayish at vandy, barely beat clanga, and they only edged out lsu by a td. georgia looked way more impressive before ed orgeron smacked them in the mouth

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

lsu is better than people thought and florida is probably not as good as they look

tbh I think it's the other way around but I'd be surprised if UGA played that badly again this year outside of maybe the SEC title game if they make it

Fifty Three posted:

I would readily trade a loss to Iowa next week to win against Wiscy and see that happen.

Even then we'd probably lose to like Northwestern or Purdue or something. I still think we settle at like 9-3 but we've looked way better than I expected so far

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 22, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thermos H Christ posted:

I mean that doesn't even seem too terrible considering how successful Urban has been at various times with offenses featuring heavy doses of QB run. But if that's been your whole deal for the last 15+ years maybe recruit dual-threat QBs and actually have them carry the ball? I don't really understand how or why Urban wouldn't have a roster built to run his offense after overseeing like 7 recruiting classes at Ohio State.

Dual-threat QBs absolutely need a system built around a world-beater of an O-line so they can make good on more than their ability to rush through traffic.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Haskins has been awesome but I'm honestly still a little surprised they didn't give the job to Martell given Urban's preferred offense. Ultimately though I don't think offense is their issue this year, red zone trouble on Saturday aside.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The worst part about ND being good right now is that we won't get a story anywhere near as funny as Manti Teo's fake girlfriend

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Declan MacManus posted:

counterpoint rivalry games are weird and the neutral site probably does georgia more favors than uf

wut

a) UF is better than they look, because they’ve been inconsistent on offense but consistently rolling up yardage and putting up pretty solid point totals compared to years past

b) Jax is pretty solidly neutral or slight lean UF.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

FAUXTON posted:

Dual-threat QBs absolutely need a system built around a world-beater of an O-line so they can make good on more than their ability to rush through traffic.

Yeah but same deal, you'd think Urban would know that he needs OL (and RBs) who can run block for his offense to work. And I wouldn't think those would be all that hard to come by when you're Urban Meyer at Ohio State. You basically get first pick of recruits in Big Ten country and you can't find some big boys who can run block?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

If we're lucky Notre Dame will run into Alabama again

It would be kind of funny if Notre Dame bumbled their way into meeting Alabama in the semis, somehow beat them, then lost in the finals to like, UCF or whoever.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
OSU promoted their very good OL coach too high and then had to fire* him

* Officially I think he just left for a new job but I'm guessing he did not decide to voluntarily take a demotion from OSU OC to Minnesota OL coach

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
If LSU beats Bama in two weeks, how far does Bama fall at the most? #4?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPWmABc7oXw

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I was about to post this. Pro click

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

wut

a) UF is better than they look, because they’ve been inconsistent on offense but consistently rolling up yardage and putting up pretty solid point totals compared to years past

b) Jax is pretty solidly neutral or slight lean UF.

the idea wasn’t “florida is a bad team”; they’re not (definitely top 25, probably top 15) but uga is probably at least a touchdown better than them

as to the other thing, i think uf would do better in athens than uga would in the swamp so uga benefits from the game being in jacksonville

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Silly Burrito posted:

Alabama is going to beat LSU by at least two touchdowns.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Declan MacManus posted:

the idea wasn’t “florida is a bad team”; they’re not (definitely top 25, probably top 15) but uga is probably at least a touchdown better than them

as to the other thing, i think uf would do better in athens than uga would in the swamp so uga benefits from the game being in jacksonville

I guess the phrasing was weird because they certainly don’t pass the eye test but I see what you mean.

I do agree that UGA is at least a touchdown better. But like oddly I feel like this game can go anywhere.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Thermos H Christ posted:

Yeah but same deal, you'd think Urban would know that he needs OL (and RBs) who can run block for his offense to work. And I wouldn't think those would be all that hard to come by when you're Urban Meyer at Ohio State. You basically get first pick of recruits in Big Ten country and you can't find some big boys who can run block?

Ehh, there's a better way of describing it than just the OL/RBs messing everything up. Chris B. Brown's takedown of Chip Kelly's Eagles offense is actually pretty much the exact set of issue with Ohio State's running game right now. You can't run just run zone schemes/gap schemes from the shotgun when everyone knows how those plays work, not without a credible jet/motion threat or QB read in place. They take too long to develop and require longer/sustained run blocks for the lineman since the RB gets to the line slower and the play starts farther back.

The line about formations, shifts, and motions being needed to liven up a run game out of the shotgun when you can't read/make the QB a threat is particularly close to home. When we had those 3ish games of Cardale in '14, he could barely scramble but was at least big enough to be a problem to tackle which made the QB run still sort of viable. Haskins has Cardale's speed but not his size, and the problem then is that you can just crash inside zone/buck sweep/power/counter pretty easily depending on the formation and who pulls or stays in line, if you know the QB will never be a threat pulling the ball from either a speed or power standpoint. You can get around that with RPOs with a guy like Haskins, and we started the year running mostly RPOs out of those looks that had bubbles/slants/hitches/drags in place for Haskins to pull and pass, but we went from 80/20 RPO/Pure Run to like 30/70 when Urban got back because he gets obsessive about the whole arithmetic "more blockers than defenders" thing determining run play success instead of surprise or the ability to make the other team wrong with a read.

But honestly, as much as I can gripe about an OSU team being incapable of running the ball, the fault is really still with Greg Schiano's decision to do a season-long tribute to the Mike Stoops branch of defensive play design.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/PlannedSickDays/status/1054076600344629251?s=19

Please update your jokes accordingly. Especially Michigan fans who still pretend Kirk only goes for it on fourth down against them because they can't handle that he just owns them

Iowa doesn't play Michigan this year, so he can safely use all of his go for it energies on other teams, duh

MourningView posted:

OSU promoted their very good OL coach too high and then had to fire* him

* Officially I think he just left for a new job but I'm guessing he did not decide to voluntarily take a demotion from OSU OC to Minnesota OL coach

This was really smart and good of them to do actually, on an unrelated note, Michigan has their first good offensive line since like 2011

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 22, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Probably.

I mean, would it be wrong? You think Bama, with one loss to LSU, is worse than say, Michigan? Or Texas?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

General Dog posted:

Have we talked about WKU-ODU yet?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/10/22/18007100/old-dominion-wku-ending-2018

It was some wild poo poo and totally flew under my my radar.

Yeah, a couple pages ago, but that was the craziest poo poo I think I've seen.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Here's a gif I like

https://twitter.com/jody3421/status/1053864406713544704

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Probably.

I mean, would it be wrong? You think Bama, with one loss to LSU, is worse than say, Michigan? Or Texas?

I mean OSU got blown out by Purdue and only dropped to #9 in the coaches poll so the precedent is already there

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Emron posted:

I mean OSU got blown out by Purdue and only dropped to #9 in the coaches poll so the precedent is already there

alabama has also been incredibly dominant in a way no other team has this season so i feel like the polls would forgive a misstep against lsu, especially if it’s by less than a touchdown

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/10/22/18007474/ohio-state-lost-purdue-2018

quote:

not gonna watch till mich

I need a break from this noncents. Gonna hang with my 2 boys or take the broad out for mini golf. I need to repriotoeoeize my life.
NCAA Week 9: I need to repriotoeoeize my life.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Just going to take out the broad to mini golf. I am a dude from the 1950s

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What’s the narrative on Notre Dame getting special treatment nowadays? I know they had special provisions in the BCS rules but there’s nothing like that for the CFP. Is it that they only have to play 12 games instead of 13? Because I think that’s just as likely to gently caress them as it is to help them.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Minigolf owns

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Michigan RT James Hudson is transferring which is....surprising. Given that he seemed to be a top backup as a Redshirt Freshman behind a 5th year senior. There was a rumor earlier this year that he was pissed he wasn't starting this year...but again, RS FR vs 5th year senior.

Should have the potential to be a great player wherever he ends up

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Mahoning posted:

What’s the narrative on Notre Dame getting special treatment nowadays? I know they had special provisions in the BCS rules but there’s nothing like that for the CFP. Is it that they only have to play 12 games instead of 13? Because I think that’s just as likely to gently caress them as it is to help them.

I think they get dingged a bit for not having a championship game as a result of being a non conference entity, but thye are also Notre Dame and it will make money so they'll get in if they pass the eye test even a little bit

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

notre dame is going to get whomped by the mighty northwestern wild cat in overtime

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

R.D. Mangles posted:

notre dame is going to get whomped by the mighty northwestern wild cat in overtime

hell yeah

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

if notre dame goes 12-0 in any year they’re playing for the natty, that’s just facts b

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

if notre dame goes 12-0 in any year they’re playing for the natty, that’s just facts b

I don't think they get a playoff bye but maybe I didn't read the rules carefully enough

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

R.D. Mangles posted:

Notre Dame never beats the wild cat!!!!

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

MourningView posted:

I don't think they get a playoff bye but maybe I didn't read the rules carefully enough

lol

I'd like to see ND roll into LA 11-0 and come out of it with a loss. Without a conference championship game to impress the committee in, they'd be left out, assuming Bama and Clemson remain undefeated/one loss, a one-loss tOSU/Mich. wins the B1G and a one-loss OU/UT wins the Big 12.

Ferdinand Bardamu fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

WaryWarren posted:

lol

I'd like to see ND roll into LA 11-0 and come out of it with a loss. Without a conference championship game to impress the committee in, they'd be left out, assuming Bama and Clemson remain undefeated and a one-loss tOSU/Mich. wins the B1G and a one-loss OU/UT wins the Big 12.

I think ND gets in over Texas, but not OU - voters love that offense.

• Locked thread