Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Imagine being that bad at managing your project, and also imagine having so much ego that you brag about it

Sounds like every executive manager I've ever met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
Look I don't know A thing about this franchise but the hype train is building up and I want to get a newer model pro but I haven't played the first one. Is this like a GTA where the stories aren't connected or a Kingdom Hearts/MGS where you need to play the other for context and understanding?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

sonicice posted:

Look I don't know A thing about this franchise but the hype train is building up and I want to get a newer model pro but I haven't played the first one. Is this like a GTA where the stories aren't connected or a Kingdom Hearts/MGS where you need to play the other for context and understanding?

It's a prequel so not really but it might enrich the experience to know what happened in RDR1

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Has there ever been a western (as in, not Japanese) AAA game you needed to play a previous game for to understand the story?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Mass Effect 3 probably wouldn't make a lot of sense if you played that first without any context

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Hell, I was a bit lost after playing the previous games but not the dlc.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Hobo Clown posted:

Mass Effect 3 probably wouldn't make a lot of sense if you played that first without any context

:turianass: Reapers :turianass:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

sonicice posted:

There are so many videos on youtube of people recapping the story from de three games you should be able to get caught up after about 15 minutes mang.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I played RDR1 but it was 8 years ago so I don't really remember much of the story.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i wonder what the dlc for this will be. They did zombies in rdr1. aliens?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Red Dead Redemption Online: Lowriders

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

androo posted:

I remember Mexico fondly because it was locked off, so it was pretty big when you finally crossed over and they had the music playing. And I rocked the poncho ASAP and kept it for the rest of the game.

I know I intend to rock a poncho upon the first opportunity.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

sonicice posted:

Not at all. The first game was John Marston doing endless GTA-style odd jobs to save his wife and kid. This game is 10+ years earlier, when him and his wife still rolled with the gang the new protagonist is part of. I'm sure there are some neat details that dovetail into the start of RDR1 but that's it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lambert posted:

Has there ever been a western (as in, not Japanese) AAA game you needed to play a previous game for to understand the story?

the first 3 of Call of Duty: Black Ops games, surprisingly

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Macrame_God posted:

The Mexico part of RDR is the best part of the game for playing "Far Away" when you visit it for the first time alone.

Then you get off the horse to check out the box in the boathouse that turns out to be empty and the music promptly stops.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

'Far Away' is wildly overrated as a gaming experience.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Aliens were just done in Far cry 5 plus you invite comparisons to that disasterpiece movie
Me I'm betting robots, ride the Westworld wave

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
I think the first thing i'll do is pop down to the MacFarlane's farm and see what that looks like.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I wanna see what that abandoned burned down town you find the glass eye in looks like

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Then you get off the horse to check out the box in the boathouse that turns out to be empty and the music promptly stops.

Or try and whistle your own horse instead of the random one it gives you

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Donovan Trip posted:

I wanna see what that abandoned burned down town you find the glass eye in looks like

I remember a moment in RDR when Bonnie suggests John has stolen more horses than he's broken and follows it up with "First impressions are hard to erase." I'm curious if we're going to get a mission with John where we steal some horses from the MacFarlane Ranch.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I hope they dont go too gratuitous the way prequels like to do, like have you offer an extremely well-to-do Irishman with a bright future his first ever taste of alcohol then go "what's the harm in having one drink?" then turn and wink to the camera

EDIT: on second thought I do want that, and also hope they do that lazy sequel thing where they mess up something really basic, like they make Bonnie six years old and they put the scars on the wrong side of Marston's face

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 23, 2018

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Lambert posted:

Red Dead Redemption Online: Cowriders

Moove over

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lambert posted:

That's what has me worried about Cyberpunk 2077, i didn't play the first 2076 games and it seems like way to much to catch up on :haw:

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I don't know if this is a popular opinion or not but I hope John barely factors into the game. I hope his frequent popping up in trailers is just marketing and not indicative of anything

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

JonTerp posted:

:10bux: says that footage is an intentional leak.

it wasn’t. at all.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Well I wish someone would leak more of it :mad:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Tercio posted:

'Far Away' is wildly overrated as a gaming experience.

I think people lose sight of the fact that Red Dead Redemption came out eight years ago.

Far Away playing when you enter Mexico isn't really anything special these days, but eight years ago it was mind-blowing.

I think RDR was one of the most incredible games I ever played -- at the time. I haven't gone back and I'm not sure I want to, because I'm willing to bet it really, really doesn't hold up as well as it does in my mind.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Mode 7 posted:

I think people lose sight of the fact that Red Dead Redemption came out eight years ago.

Not really.

Mode 7 posted:

Far Away playing when you enter Mexico isn't really anything special these days, but eight years ago it was mind-blowing.

I think RDR was one of the most incredible games I ever played -- at the time. I haven't gone back and I'm not sure I want to, because I'm willing to bet it really, really doesn't hold up as well as it does in my mind.

Eight years ago it completely took me out of the moment. It was jarring. Listening to the song now, and considering the lyrics, ok - it makes some sense and carries some poignancy. At that moment I had no loving clue what I was listening to and wanted to go back to the world's own ambiance.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

I replayed it a few weeks ago and it's still really really great. Far Away is a trick that works once, but it's still a pretty good one and a unique moment. Mission variety does get repetitive, but the characters are so fun that it's not a huge deal. It plays like a third person shooter in a big map, whereas RDR2 sounds like it has a lot more stuff to do to fill out the world.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Donovan Trip posted:

I replayed it a few weeks ago and it's still really really great. Far Away is a trick that works once, but it's still a pretty good one and a unique moment. Mission variety does get repetitive, but the characters are so fun that it's not a huge deal. It plays like a third person shooter in a big map, whereas RDR2 sounds like it has a lot more stuff to do to fill out the world.

I went back to replay it recently as well and I was delighted to see it was still fun. One thing I will say is that it runs like rear end on the PS3. Load times are longer, the framerate is lower and, on more than a few occasions the textures from character models just vanished turning NPCs into a blocky mess of muddy colors. Not hating on the PS3 (it's still my go to bluray player) but for RDR you gotta go for the 360 version.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I watched Bone Tomahawk last night and it did nothing to lessen my hype for this game. gently caress. Any other badass cowboy movies you guys recommend? List a poo poo tonne cause I've watched a poo poo tonne.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
while catching up on the last few pages of this thread I saw this...

Soysaucebeast posted:

I cancelled my Amazon order because they aren't guaranteeing release day delivery and my order still has an unknown delivery day as of last week...

and just got this today.

it's funny, I've seen a few people stressing amazon delivery and cancelling in order to get the digital download.
has anyone ever really had any problems with amazon delivering on release day or are these just cases of anxious people hyped up and afraid of missing out on day one?

winter.mute fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 23, 2018

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I'm a little anxious about it because it's not like a Tuesday release - if it doesn't arrive on the Friday, you're probably not getting it til after the weekend. And I needs my weekend playzz.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I use Amazon a poo poo tonne, and out of maybe 6 super hype titles, I've gotten 4 on release day, the other 2 were a day later (or more if it was the weekend, though this was from years back when Amazon didn't deliver Sun and the timing was unlucky).

I was going to order through Amazon as well but I realised there's a midnight release for the game at a local gamestore so I might just go to that, I've had luck in the past rolling up at 12:30am and nabbing a copy after the main group has left and it's not as hectic. I did this for Super Smash Bros on the Wii U and was surprised at how easy it was. For Zelda: Breath of the Wild, I just rolled into a Toys R Us at 9am and got myself a copy cause everywhere else (even online) was out of stock. RIP Toys R Us

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Do we have any word on what time this game will release digitally? I've never brought a game digitally on console before, mainly because £1 = 1$ on the stores is depressingly poo poo when it means standard edition games cost £60 on launch.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

e; ^^^ UK release is midnight Thursday/Friday. I don't know if it's going to be midnight for everyone else as it rolls to their time zones or it's UK midnight for everyone because Rockstar is based here. e2; Answered below.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Cryptosporidium from Destroy All Humans! invades a few decades early

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 23, 2018

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

BillBear posted:

Do we have any word on what time this game will release digitally? I've never brought a game digitally on console before, mainly because £1 = 1$ on the stores is depressingly poo poo when it means standard edition games cost £60 on launch.

In the US at least it's 12am on the 26th which is lucky for west coasters as that's 9pm

If you buy it digitally it has a countdown clock on the PS4 at least

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

BillBear posted:

You can start the download now if you buy it digital, then it unlocks at midnight. Midnight EDT here in the states, I'd imagine it'll be midnight your local time if you're UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Tercio posted:

Not really.

Bad phrasing on my part, I didn't mean to imply you hadn't considered that, your post just served as a jumping off point for stuff I'd been thinking about.

Tercio posted:

Eight years ago it completely took me out of the moment. It was jarring. Listening to the song now, and considering the lyrics, ok - it makes some sense and carries some poignancy. At that moment I had no loving clue what I was listening to and wanted to go back to the world's own ambiance.

I can understand that, though I disagree - I think for all Rockstar strives to try and emulate cinema in their games, that was one of those cinematic moments that worked nicely..........provided you didn't get off the horse and have the song immediately stop or various other ways that moment can fall flat.