Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tank display/storage question
I have 2x20 gallon long tanks (13x13x30) for my pair of corn snakes and i want to buy a low cost stand that will hold them one on top of the other with enough room to clean/feed through the top of the lower tank.
Any recommendations for a shelf, stand, etc for doing something like this? My searching online isn't finding me anything.
Pardon my barging in your thread. Thanks.

Edit: i searched for fish tank instead and found this https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...ASABEgIgnPD_BwE
I think this will work. Lmk if i'm loving up

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

I have 2x20 gallon long tanks (13x13x30) for my pair of corn snakes and i want to buy a low cost stand that will hold them one on top of the other with enough room to clean/feed through the top of the lower tank.
Any recommendations for a shelf, stand, etc for doing something like this? My searching online isn't finding me anything.

Edit: i searched for fish tank instead and found this https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...ASABEgIgnPD_BwE

AmazonBasics 4-Shelf Shelving Unit - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYBQXRH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Z8MZBbNC40APZ

I like these quite a bit and it's cheap

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Real hurthling! posted:

I think this will work. Lmk if i'm loving up

That appears designed to only hold 1 tank.

Depending on how handy you are and availability of tools, it isn't too hard to build a stand to hold multiple tanks, and it's much cheaper, and sturdier, than buying something cheap. I've built 3 so far of different designs. First was just made to hold a single 40g breeder with a storage shelf below, second was to hold 2 20g tanks and a 30 on top, the last is a bit more complicated as it isn't for holding tanks, rather it is actually stacked enclosures.

For the simple stacked cage setup it is just a lot of 2x4s, screws, and wood glue.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks i wish i was handy at all

Mocking Bird posted:

AmazonBasics 4-Shelf Shelving Unit - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYBQXRH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Z8MZBbNC40APZ

I like these quite a bit and it's cheap

Oh poo poo cool.
Went with this one for lower height. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004BDP69M/ref=psdcmw_3744001_t2_B01LYBQXRH

The amazon basics 3 shelf has smaller platforms than the 4 shelf.

Thanks a million i forgot those existed

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I personally prefer the taller shelf because I don't like my animals sitting on basically the floor (pain in the rear end for me and my lovely knees), but do what feels right for your space

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My new space has a height limit so i'll put the elder lady that just sits in her flowerpot all day anyway at knee height and my active boy on top.
Plus im currently climbing a step ladder to clean one of them on a high shelf and I dont want to do that anymore

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 23, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nice thing about those wire shelves is you can ziptie a long flourescent light fixture to the underside of a shelf for the tank(s) below, and you can easily run wires up and down through the shelves anywhere and use zipties to bundle wires and attach them anywhere you like to keep things tidy. Also can install drains in the bottom of terrariums that have water in them, and put the container the drain line drains into right underneath.

I like to put arboreal geckos up on the top shelf, I think they like the feeling that they're in their nesty zone way up high off the ground. Also my cats have a harder time climbing those shelves, although I still have to put tape up to deter the one cat who is a ridiculous acrobat.

Be aware of tip-over hazard with a shelf like that, the shelf itself is really light compared to the tanks. Consider a wall strap for the top shelf (mandatory in earthquake country or if you have small children). I store all my gallons of distilled water on the bottom shelf to add "ballast" to the whole arrangement.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

doubel

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

my bearded dragon almost died last week. got randomly super sick and almost didn't make it but he's much better this week and as a reward i'm building him a whole new cage that is much bigger and better than his last one.

still not really sure what happened. we bought some dubias at a show and i think they may have been bad or something. right after he ate those he wouldn't eat and got super sick.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Guys my eastern paints have been hunger striking for like 3 weeks. I’ve been drydocking them daily under a UVB bulb and they seem to perk up but they’re still refusing to eat.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
is that a sword on the table

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

ShadowHawk posted:

is that a sword on the table

well yeah his place is overrun with dragons of course he has a sword gotta stay safe

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

gotta let 'em know who's boss (also putting together my haloween costume)

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Owlbear Camus posted:

gotta let 'em know who's boss (also putting together my haloween costume)

I hope the halloween costume includes the fearsome dragons.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Guys my eastern paints have been hunger striking for like 3 weeks. I’ve been drydocking them daily under a UVB bulb and they seem to perk up but they’re still refusing to eat.

Our adult Rosy Boa went on a 4 month hunger strike this year, but then Rosys can do that without a problem.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

*pours mealworms in the food dish*
Lady Onyxia LEAPS down to do some MONCH
*pours flower topper on as well for more nutrients and fiber*
Lady Onyxia looks up at me with this side eye like I'm a dumb rear end in a top hat.
"Look, you can't just eat worms alone. It's all... part of this balanced breakfast."

I admit either she's smarter and more expressive than I give her credit for; or familiarity is making me anthropomorphize them more. She often looks out seemingly interested in what I'm doing.

The male is still a dumb lethargic gently caress though.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!
So I have an odd and slightly gross question for you all.

I have a young female Budgett's Frog named Dumpling. She's still small, only about 3 inches snout to vent, up from about 2 when I got her about a month ago. I feed her either a whole nightcrawler or a gut-loaded large dubia roach daily, just because she is still growing and I know these frogs grow crazy fast and all the advice I've read says to make sure they get good nutrition when they're still babies. I'll cut down feedings to once every 2-3 days as she grows. She's also got minnows in her tank that she can hunt if she feels like it, although she seems to prefer the food I put in front of her face.

Today I fed her her nightcrawler as usual, and when I came back like an hour later, I noticed she was in the process of defecating it out completely undigested. I removed it from her tank once she'd passed it completely, and I plan to give her guts a chance to rest tomorrow. That is a HUGE thing for such a small critter to pass. Is there something wrong with her, or did her little body just not need that worm? She doesn't seem overweight; she looks like most of the pictures I've seen of Budgett's Frogs online. She takes food readily, and is otherwise content to just hang around in her various hides as normal. Her temps are right around 70 degrees and water quality is good.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

^^^^^^^ Love 'em. :kimchi: ^^^^^^^^

It's been awhile since I showed Elmore off. Just look at this smug-rear end bastard. I love him so much.

Merry fuckin' Christmas:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

That's a drat good dinobuddy

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

A new species of three foot long salamander has been discovered in Florida and Alabama. It's a species of siren that had been known about, but hadn't been evaluated scientifically until now. Siren reticulata is a really cool animal - the gills are crazy, very different from other siren species, though I've been told that they shrink in captivity (with higher dissolved oxygen levels) so that they don't look much different from the gills of other sirens.

The genus Siren is a complete mess - there are a number of cryptic species where genetic analysis has shown that the existing species should be broken into new species due to genetic differences, so this kind of came out of nowhere since this isn't a cryptic species, just a species that science hadn't really noticed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

^^^^^^^ Love 'em. :kimchi: ^^^^^^^^

It's been awhile since I showed Elmore off. Just look at this smug-rear end bastard. I love him so much.

Elmore is a good and cool dragon. Unlike these idiots who get clowned on by their own food.

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1070149629243740160

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

OneTwentySix posted:

A new species of three foot long salamander has been discovered in Florida and Alabama. It's a species of siren that had been known about, but hadn't been evaluated scientifically until now. Siren reticulata is a really cool animal - the gills are crazy, very different from other siren species, though I've been told that they shrink in captivity (with higher dissolved oxygen levels) so that they don't look much different from the gills of other sirens.

The genus Siren is a complete mess - there are a number of cryptic species where genetic analysis has shown that the existing species should be broken into new species due to genetic differences, so this kind of came out of nowhere since this isn't a cryptic species, just a species that science hadn't really noticed.

This is super loving cool. That guy looks like a Christmas tree. :allears:

I also like Elmore very much, and Onyxia.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

OneTwentySix posted:

Very cute axolongl

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Elmore is a good and cool dragon. Unlike these idiots who get clowned on by their own food.

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1070149629243740160

Elmore’s idea of being a mighty hunter is to park his fat little rear end in front of the cricket box and wait for the crickets to come out through the opening. He’s either very lazy or very clever; I’ve not decided which.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Elmore’s idea of being a mighty hunter is to park his fat little rear end in front of the cricket box and wait for the crickets to come out through the opening. He’s either very lazy or very clever; I’ve not decided which.

is both

¿porque no los dos?

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My little boa finally had his first shed. Gonna bump up how often he gets fed, that took an uncomfortably long time.

So bright and pretty now though!

Bonus extremely-lovely picture of him maybe falling asleep in my hand a couple weeks back. :3:

Coeurl Marx fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 18, 2018

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!
I have a new friend

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Viperidae posted:

I have a new friend

Cute dino

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Viperidae posted:

I have a new friend

What kind of lizard is that? So handsome. So regal.

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!
That is an Ackie monitor. He is a year and a half old.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Viperidae posted:

That is an Ackie monitor. He is a year and a half old.

That’s an Ackie? I figured he was a monitor but I would not have pegged him for an Ackie. He’s gorgeous.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I want to pet that monitor lizard.

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That’s an Ackie? I figured he was a monitor but I would not have pegged him for an Ackie. He’s gorgeous.

The lighting and camera have washed out his colors a bit.

Here he is taking a nap in a hidey hole he dug out:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Crossposting this from the cute thread:

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

My 8-year-old niece decided Elmore needed a hat for Christmas. This is the one she picked out.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Howdy partner. I'm the sheriff of crickets and mealworms.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Little Dude just sleeping like a weirdo...

(African fat-tailed gecko doing extreme sleep yoga)

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Ah, the Sleeping-Goofus Game? I'll play! Check out this nutball with his nose smushed in the corner of the glass like it ain't no thang.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

we decided that Kaiju was old enough for his first pet, so we got him a Betta. We weren't 100% sure how he'd react to it but he likes to sit over by it and watches it swim around. He hasn't black bearded or tried to eat it yet, and every evening he's curled up by it and laid down to sleep.

it's name is Cuck Finn the Beta fish.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

That's pretty awesome. I used to keep Bettas. I called myself the Betta Liberation Front and I'd periodically spring into action at pet stores whenever I saw Bettas that looked like they needed help, buying them and bringing them home. It's been a while since I had one -- wonder how Elmore would feel about having a fish buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

crabrock posted:

we decided that Kaiju was old enough for his first pet, so we got him a Betta. We weren't 100% sure how he'd react to it but he likes to sit over by it and watches it swim around. He hasn't black bearded or tried to eat it yet, and every evening he's curled up by it and laid down to sleep.

it's name is Cuck Finn the Beta fish.

Your beardy seems to have a snubby snout, which is v. cute.

I consider the beardies in part pets for the cat, so if I got a pet for them it would be like... petception.

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1081662405254483970