Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

graph posted:

i know a bunch of architects and all but two smoke a ton of weed before work every day

my old firm did a project under an architectural group and we couldn't schedule meetings with them before noon because that's when a lot of them rolled into the office

i'd regularly get emails from them at like 3am on work nights and over the weekend it made no sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my old firm did a project under an architectural group and we couldn't schedule meetings with them before noon because that's when a lot of them rolled into the office

i'd regularly get emails from them at like 3am on work nights and over the weekend it made no sense

I'm glad to see today's generation of architects is working just like my grandpa did in his firm.

One of the things he did was to wait good and long for morning traffic to clear out before he even considered starting his Buick to drive in to the office

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

fishmech posted:

One of the things he did was to wait good and long for morning traffic to clear out before he even considered starting his Buick to drive in to the office

tbh i dont know how people sit in loving rushhour traffic every single day

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Rex-Goliath posted:

*googler thinking harder than anything they'd ever thought of before*

what if..... construction..... was like a computer??

we've optimized our layout and zoning based on perfectly equal distribution on this heatmap.

what do you mean that's not how people work, look, it's optimal

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 22, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Oh no all the rich idiots will be slightly inconvenienced in their expensive condos

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
or we could just not build the 21st century version of the shining beacons of urbanist design that were st. james town and regent park

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

why does it look like the result of following the tutorial in sim city

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the pride of chome ownership

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

infernal machines posted:

we've optimized our layout and zoning based on perfectly equal distribution on this heatmap.

that left heatmap does not reflect the zoning at all, right one doesnt seem to either

its almost as if they just pulled it from their rear end

e: this

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 22, 2018

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

flakeloaf posted:

chome ownership

chomeowners association

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Krankenstyle posted:

that left heatmap does not reflect the zoning at all

its almost as if they just pulled it from their rear end

e: this

the whole thing is basically the pepsi branding deck

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

the whole thing is basically the pepsi branding deck

*desperately tries to photoshop the Toronto slide deck to say "bepis"*

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

taking a page from the Microsoft playbook...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/google-home-hub-review-a-minimum-viable-product-with-potential/

quote:

The Google Home app now holds device settings for the Chromecast, the Google Home, Home Mini, and Home Max. This year, it added the Home Hub and all the third-party smart displays. It has general account settings, all the Google Assistant settings, and a whole mess of settings for your smart home. It does command discoverability for the Google Assistant plus media browsing, and it recently had the entire smart home dashboard from the Home Hub grafted onto it.

Everything is just there in a big pile. Nothing is laid out logically, nothing is organized, screens are a mile long, and settings are duplicated everywhere you look. So far, I have found three totally different versions of the room-by-room home setup screen. There are probably around 50-100 different screens in the Google Home app now, arranged in layers upon layers upon layers of settings. It is not easy to navigate. This app needs a serious rework, but it would also be great if I could just change the Home Hub settings on the Home Hub.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i bet there's no sanity checking for those multiple settings screens so it's possible for them to all be slightly different and what settings the device actually receives at any given time is determined by some arcane madness beyond the comprehension of man

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google is building their new headquarters building here on shoreline boulevard and right now it just looks like a big crazy tent made of steel. oh, and nothing like their original concept.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The Management posted:

google is building their new headquarters building here on shoreline boulevard and right now it just looks like a big crazy tent made of steel. oh, and nothing like their original concept.

doesn't look much better on the inside

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

doesn't look much better on the inside

need foam, op

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Skim Milk posted:

need foam, op

omw

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

namaste

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

wtf sort of "transit hub" is this, ski lifts

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

this guy doesnt get the seashells

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

ziplines into ur moms bedroom

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

ziplines into ur moms bedroom

sorry about your gondolarrhea

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hahahahahahahahahaha oh man

the new neighborhood will look a lot like houston tx

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

flakeloaf posted:

sorry about your gondolarrhea

lol

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

eh i wouldnt agree with this at all

its got a ton of settings but theyre laid out as logically as you can for something thats as sprawling as the scope of its demands. now if you have forty smart home devices sure theres a lot of nested settings pages but theyre laid out in a logical way in that you can get to them either by the room theyre in or by the function they serve

the new global status page is nice and its extremely easy to find things you want to control often easily because of it but i will be the first to admit that it values simplicity and readability over covering all the available functions to its detriment

its no windows with separate settings pages or itunes where it grew from being a music manager to being being like five different things and the parts dont fit quite right anymore

rons problem isnt that the app is bad but that as a reviewer hes adding a million devices to it and then constantly tweaking settings to review the products instead of doing what an end user would do which is set up a few things once and never venture into the settings for that device ever again. used as intended its far better than id expect given the scope of its mission which is so broad as to be daunting to even dedicated computer touchers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

google: the ideal use case is if you never touch it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

google: the ideal use case is if you never touch it

being a voice controlled assistant id say that should be the goal?

for what the home hub does with visuals the touch interface it does give you is fine for what youd want to do with it which is turn on the lights or change the temperature

elsewhere in the linked article he mentions the lack of useful interfaces for music podcasts and youtube and yeah thats bad and essentially broken but complaining about the settings app containing a lot of settings seems weird to me given that its its raison detre

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

he says the problem is it has the same settings in multiple places. depending on how that's implemented, it could be very bad.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

integrated settings would mean making your different product teams talk to each other, which we can all agree is the second hardest problem in computer science

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

he says the problem is it has the same settings in multiple places. depending on how that's implemented, it could be very bad.

there are multiple paths to the settings but theyre all in the same place like you can look by the room or in the device list but in either case they lead to the same settings page. in reading the article i took him to mean that the settings are too deep and there are too many of them but then that you cant access them from the device itself. so which is it? are there too many confusing settings or is the problem that you cant access them on a device without a keyboard?

theres no way most of the settings could be done on the device without a keyboard and it would be terrible to manage it that way (tho sure some could) but google did the right thing and chose to have a central location for all your settings

ive used the home app a bunch both before and after the makeover and hes just wrong about the difficulty in using it. it does a shitload of stuff and all of its necessary from attaching services to google to managing what personal information you want accessible to the devices to managing the state of those devices without having to use the third party apps. its a bunch of things to set up but once you do you really never have to venture farther than the home page that allows you to control devices quickly or even never use it at all unless you want to add or remove a service or device

there are problems with the home app but overall its far better than id expect from google. even my wife who stays far away from nerd poo poo has never had a problem doing what she wanted with it

the criticisms hes right about are more damning imho like how few things the screen is useful for and how minimally thought through the native integrations are that rely on the screen but as for the settings accessibility thats one of the few places the home app has things done well and completely

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

imagine putting a google camera in your home

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

imagine putting a google in your home

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol they’re going to sell like 5 of these. how long until they fire sale?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

pack it into a stuffed moogle, make it say kupo after everything else it says, bring an empty sea container with a big dollar sign on it to the next e3

or just buy the one the ouya used and spray a dollar sign on the side of that one

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

I'm the unparsable street layout requiring gps to be active at all times

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

abigserve posted:

look grandpa, square blocks don’t look good in fanciful renderings

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

abigserve posted:

whats unparsable about it. it's still way easier to navigate than like, london or boston

there aren't a lot of roads there, theyre just wigglier in a way that doesn't matter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

abigserve posted:

the rest of the city is a grid, or rather a bunch of grids sort of tacked together over the last 150 years. there's not a lot of reason to go with a layout like that, although as far as i can tell that's not actually a proposed layout for anything, since it doesn't match the land they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

fishmech posted:

whats unparsable about it. it's still way easier to navigate than like, london or boston

there aren't a lot of roads there, theyre just wigglier in a way that doesn't matter

based on that graphic there is no concept of arterial roads unless the black lines represent a single long, very oddly shaped street with a lot of right angles

the traditional model is parsable because you can look at it and be like oh there are the main streets, if I want to get from point a to point b with a minimal amount of turns I can take the big streets as far as possible then I only have to remember a small amount of turns right at the end

• Locked thread