Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

BlueBlazer posted:

In a functioning bureaucracy shouldnt the number for his case worker be attached to his file? Like with a sticky note? poo poo ain't that hard.

I'd assume that if he were actually in danger or endangering others the cops would come. His case worker probably doesn't have time to deal with every weird thing he does either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

BlueBlazer posted:

In a functioning bureaucracy shouldnt the number for his case worker be attached to his file? Like with a sticky note? poo poo ain't that hard.

It says on a post-it note, "known rear end in a top hat, do not respond"

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Oscar Wild posted:

It says on a post-it note, "known rear end in a top hat, do not respond"

IRL redtext

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Here is your chance to get rid of me:

anthonypants posted:

kate brown won by like 7% in the 2016 special election and that was against bud pierce. she's not going to win this election, and she's going to lose by an even greater margin. if you disagree you're only fooling yourself over how racist and republican-supporting your fellow oregonian voter truly is, and I will absolutely toxx myself if anyone else would like to toxx themselves for a kate brown win.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

porkface posted:

I'm fine having police. The mistake was giving them guns.

This. The answer is taking the guns away from the police.

Not every servant of the peace needs to be carrying a firearm. They shoot because they are afraid, make them face their fears. Face the public without an individual monopoly on force.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BlueBlazer posted:

This. The answer is taking the guns away from the police.

Sometimes its easy to forget that police kill people without guns also. I think that the abolish the police movement stuff is also about recognizing what the police represent. Someone said something about an "officer of the peace" but thats not what police are in our society. They represent the oppression by those who have of those who don't, its been that way since slave patrols and little has changed.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 23, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What I found out recently by trawling around Instagram posts is that saying "disarm the police" is, generally speaking, an unpopular opinion.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
I guess I'm trying to work around this idea that those that are called upon to handle public matters of confidence perhaps might not be the police?

So police have to be armed, cool. maybe have less of them and more of the not armed thing. Which is less popular, disarm the police or have less police? Different kind of police seems harder?

I pay taxes, I don't want my first respondents shooting people. I also want someone responding. Whos the guy in chage of picking which thing to send out? and do they have access to the information to call the right person.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 23, 2018

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

What I found out recently by trawling around Instagram posts is that saying "disarm the police" is, generally speaking, an unpopular opinion.

Dino Rossi could be the next congressmen from Washington.
I think we have enough evidence the lizards are disinterested in good policy.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Schrier canvassers wouldn't even give us a sign when my wife asked. They bitched about how hard it was to find their meetup location. (It's two right turns off the highway exit). They had no flexibility with regards to times for getting into their phone banking class to phone bank. Every other candidate signs all over the place, hers are sparse.

They're loving it up. Still might win.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

BlueBlazer posted:

I guess I'm trying to work around this idea that those that are called upon to handle public matters of confidence perhaps might not be the police?

So police have to be armed, cool. maybe have less of them and more of the not armed thing. Which is less popular, disarm the police or have less police? Different kind of police seems harder?

I pay taxes, I don't want my first respondents shooting people. I also want someone responding. Whos the guy in chage of picking which thing to send out? and do they have access to the information to call the right person.

Why are you so intent on having cops

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

im on the net me boys posted:

Alright, smart guy, how else are we gonna fill all these prisons???

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

im on the net me boys posted:

How do you suggest the law be enforced? Surely there must be some laws you are in favor of, and presumably the must be an enforcement mechanism. What would we do in your ideal world?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BlueBlazer posted:

I'm not really super knowledgeable on the specifics of the abolish the police stuff, its not something I've worked on locally or done a huge amount of research on. One of the things I've heard though is how in a lot of communities they already essentially function without the police. Whenever the police are called the outcome is negative in such a way that it causes more harm than anything else, I think realistically this is true of most times the police are called in all communities its just harder to recognize when the police don't show up and shoot your neighbor's son. So the alternative is mainly about rebuilding communities, and some other buzzwordy things like restorative justice instead of punitive justice and peace circles.

In my personal life I have only had to call the police a couple times and also I've had the police called on me multiple times, all were work related things where I was being or had been assaulted by someone I was serving legal papers to or they called the police on me to have me arrested for trespassing or whatever. Pretty much all my interactions with the police have been negative, even though most of them have been while I was working as a licensed process server. In my experience if a white dude assaults a young latino man the police just give no fucks and will start accusing you of doing poo poo and looking for ANY excuse to gently caress you up or arrest you or just hassle you for meaningless bullshit.

I think that is sort of forgotten when we talk about police violence and oppression. Its not JUST that police get away with killing people all the time with no repercussion, its that they're constantly doing poo poo that maybe if you're white or maybe if you live in an area where you don't have to interact with the police very often you might not notice it. But I get extremely anxious when police are around, whether or not I've done anything 'wrong' and some people I know have told me that they've been afraid to leave their homes because they feel like just because they have brown skin the police will harass them or kill them.

therobit posted:

How do you suggest the law be enforced? Surely there must be some laws you are in favor of, and presumably the must be an enforcement mechanism. What would we do in your ideal world?

most of the time the police don't enforce the law and only show up after its been broken anyways :shrug:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

therobit posted:

When I see people concerned about "law enforcement" I kind of understand where you're coming from and why you'd want someone to fill that role, but to the police law enforcement usually means traffic ticket quotas and arrests over a bag of coke/sex work/loitering. In my ideal world, there just aren't police. When there are problems that rise in a community, they should be addressed in a way that doesn't throw Racist Macho Men With Guns at it.

If I can give maybe a more personal example, I would have been way more likely to report the time I was raped to the authorities if the authority in question wasn't the police.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

therobit posted:

Increased interpersonal accountability and empathy within our communities/the places we live and work as well as increased access to resources like housing, food, and medical care, and the presence of volunteers within those communities to handle mediation, intervention, and de-escalation when necessary.

Community policing already exists and it is incredibly successful in the areas it has been implemented in. neither of these things requires cops.

relatedly I am for disarming gun owners but not one red hot loving second before we completely disarm the police, so, :shrug:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Yeah all of that is good, and I think a lot of it should be pr into practice. I am not a fan of how cops operate in most of America right now, but I think it is naive to assume that once you feed and clothe and give medical care to everyone that crime will end or you will never need to lock anyone up or call upon the state to enact violence again. In a world where the state does not take action to stop and or punish certain types of crime, you will get a system of blood feuds when people decide that they need retribution. I guess I don't have enough faith in humanity to believe it is possible.

I do feel passionately that we need to do something about violent racist cops. I could get behind disarming them, taking away their cars and making them walk a beat, and forcing them into hundreds of hours of training each year to de-program them from their implicit biases against people of color. I also think we need to re-evaluate the type of people that are being hired to do that job so maybe we can find more patient people who are not so afraid. I don't have all the answers, but I think doing away with the notion of police is a pipe dream.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Guns everywhere and no cops.

Yeah, when I think progressive wonderland, the American Western frontier is my model

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Unoriginal Name posted:

Yeah, when I think progressive wonderland, the American Western frontier is my model

The American Western frontier in reality was not terribly violent or eventful outside of the Army purging Native American tribes, because they made you surrender your guns when you came into town. Gunfights were immortalized largely because they were so rare, not because they were common. :eng101:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
there were a whole bunch of rules about duels you didn't just go into town square to shoot each other at high noon on the drop of a penny, and the people who could get away with shooting someone in a bar were in bed with the local sheriffs, which existed in the american western frontier and were, shockingly, corrupt, just like today

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

therobit posted:

Yeah all of that is good, and I think a lot of it should be pr into practice. I am not a fan of how cops operate in most of America right now, but I think it is naive to assume that once you feed and clothe and give medical care to everyone that crime will end or you will never need to lock anyone up or call upon the state to enact violence again. In a world where the state does not take action to stop and or punish certain types of crime, you will get a system of blood feuds when people decide that they need retribution. I guess I don't have enough faith in humanity to believe it is possible.

I do feel passionately that we need to do something about violent racist cops. I could get behind disarming them, taking away their cars and making them walk a beat, and forcing them into hundreds of hours of training each year to de-program them from their implicit biases against people of color. I also think we need to re-evaluate the type of people that are being hired to do that job so maybe we can find more patient people who are not so afraid. I don't have all the answers, but I think doing away with the notion of police is a pipe dream.

lol a system of blood feuds? god drat you're a trip. kinda weird you think the threat of state sanctioned violence is the only thing keeping people in line. maybe we need more of it!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Unoriginal Name posted:

Would you be willing to believe it wasn't actually like the movies

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Most developed nations have already managed to curb most of their gun violence by getting rid of guns. The idea that the US is a special snowflake that needs to leave guns alone and instead solve gun violence by essentially solving all other societal problems first is laughable and idiotic.

All recreational drugs should be illegal instead of addressing the things which lead to people abusing them.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

therobit posted:

Yeah all of that is good, and I think a lot of it should be pr into practice. I am not a fan of how cops operate in most of America right now, but I think it is naive to assume that once you feed and clothe and give medical care to everyone that crime will end or you will never need to lock anyone up or call upon the state to enact violence again.

Abolishing the cops is also about changing the culture surrounding justice away from locking people up as a punishment and more towards restorative justice. Also I don't think that locking someone up for a crime makes it less likely for the victim(s) to want personal revenge. I think that gang violence is a good example of that, but again from personal experience locking someone up does nothing to make the victim feel like justice was served mainly because punitive justice does absolutely nothing for the victim. Often times you have to resort to things outside of that process like civil court or insurance if you need to be repaid for damages.

I don't think its as simple as just abolishing the police though, there is a lot of literature that suggests that societies like ours necessitate large amounts of crime so (much like when we're talking about fixing climate change or any other big things) the change has to be pretty massive. You can't just take a capitalist society designed around consumption and making GBS threads on other people and then get rid of the cops, as much fun as that sounds. It has to be part of a plan that changes the way we design our communities from the bottom up and also changes the ideas around personal responsibility for the things that happen in those communities.

I'm of the opinion that when something bad happens in our communities, whether its a rape or a cop shooting someone or large corporations destroying the world with climate change or lovely politicians we all hold varying responsibility for allowing those things to happen and having police in some ways makes it easier for us to say, "well it ain't my responsibility to worry about that".

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

lol a system of blood feuds? god drat you're a trip. kinda weird you think the threat of state sanctioned violence is the only thing keeping people in line. maybe we need more of it!

Afghanistan, Pakistan, and other countries that do not have an effective law enforcement apparatus in parts of the country do in fact have blood fueds happening as people seek retributive justice.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

therobit posted:

Afghanistan, Pakistan, and other countries that do not have an effective law enforcement apparatus in parts of the country do in fact have blood fueds happening as people seek retributive justice.

lol I think there is a lot more going on than just lack of local law enforcement but whatever gets you juicin'

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/oregonianpol/status/1054748752706076672 :qqsay:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shifty Nipples posted:

All recreational drugs should be illegal instead of addressing the things which lead to people abusing them.

Drugs and guns, obviously the same thing, zero differences between them and how they are used.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DrNutt posted:

Drugs and guns, obviously the same thing, zero differences between them and how they are used.

Remember that time a dude murdered a bunch elementary school kids with a bong?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Remember that time a dude murdered a bunch elementary school kids with a bong?

It's also a stupid fallacious argument because both guns and drugs should be strongly regulated regardless of whatever other nebulous societal problems need addressing also. I use weed regularly and enjoy wine and beer but I also recognize the need for regulations because living in a utopic society where all external problems have been solved doesn't mean people won't suddenly be born without genetic markers that predispose them to alcoholism or addiction.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Shifty Nipples posted:

Outlaw work/family/genetics.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

If I was granted absolute legal immunity there are a couple of people who would certainly suffer for it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/bikeportland/status/1054809313921851392

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If I was granted absolute legal immunity there are a couple of people who would certainly suffer for it.

If we're talking about a Purge then sign me the gently caress up

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Bike Portland are their own silo of crazy, but it's a very Portland slapfight between bikeportland dot org and someone at the domain "swordrep".

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

anthonypants posted:

Would you be willing to believe it wasn't actually like the movies

NO

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I'm of the opinion that when something bad happens in our communities, whether its a rape or a cop shooting someone or large corporations destroying the world with climate change or lovely politicians we all hold varying responsibility for allowing those things to happen and having police in some ways makes it easier for us to say, "well it ain't my responsibility to worry about that".

Agreed and I'm gonna straight up say I do not believe it is possible for our current generation to make the change. People straight up are not brought up with the kinds of values or in the kind of culture you need to make that kind of community work and I am not excepting myself at all. I think it's a change you have to see happen slowly as we raise new generations of people to give a gently caress about other people which is a big ask but, well, if you ask me what my ideal world is that's it.

Hey so what do Portland people think about measure 102?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

i just got called by a bored sounding woman on behalf of Americans for Affordable Groceries to tell me about how important it is that we not tax things.

Personally I prefer Diet Americans for Affordable Groceries.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

The Oldest Man posted:

i just got called by a bored sounding woman on behalf of Americans for Affordable Groceries to tell me about how important it is that we not tax things.

Personally I prefer Diet Americans for Affordable Groceries.

I saw an advertisement for this in the theater today and it was really weird. But also I voted against the measure about not letting municipalities set taxes on soda and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I know I'm dumb as hell because I still get tripped up on "wait, so do I vote for this or against this?" based on how it's worded.