Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
For a team who likes to downplay their rivalry with MSU, michigan is going pretty hard in the paint celebrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Scarf posted:

For a team who likes to downplay their rivalry with MSU, michigan is going pretty hard in the paint celebrating.

First road win against a ranked team in like 8 years or something dumb like that and of course its coming agains LITTLE BROTHER so extra sweet I suppose

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah its just funny that all those years when Sparty would get all hyped when they beat UM, Michigan fans would be all :smug: "Oh yeah? Beating us made your year, huh? We don't really care about you, we don't even really consider this a rivalry."

And now they're acting like they won the goddamn Big Ten.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Scarf posted:

I think the program itself has started embracing the hate, especially the players. It’s the fans that are always like “I’m not mad about getting dominated for a decade. It’s actually hilarious to me”

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think the program itself has started embracing the hate, especially the players. It’s the fans that are always like “I’m not mad about getting dominated for a decade. It’s actually hilarious to me”

I made a complete bonkers rear end of myself while watching WLOCP last season and every other UGA fan around me did too, and I'd do it again and again because yeah, dominated for a decade/decades*

*though we've won 4 out of 7 against one of the lousiest Florida football runs in modern times, yaaaaaay

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I don’t have any fun links or anything but apparently James Carville went on Fienbaum and was claiming that the really bad targeting call against LSU last week is proof positive that the SEC is colluding to keep Alabama on top. He has some galaxy brain takes for what is essentially just a bad call and the type that get made weekly

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 23, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

D.N. Nation posted:

I made a complete bonkers rear end of myself while watching WLOCP last season and every other UGA fan around me did too, and I'd do it again and again because yeah, dominated for a decade/decades*

*though we've won 4 out of 7 against one of the lousiest Florida football runs in modern times, yaaaaaay

Yeah but would you do the same if Georgia Tech owned you for a decade? Because that’s the more comparable rivalry.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

D.N. Nation posted:

I've probably already said this exact sentence BUT

Don't worry! I've allowed some hope for a victory to creep into the deepest, deadest cockles of my own beating heart which means you guys will be up 28 in the first half.

It's going to happen. Accept the inevitability. Crack a beer. Smile. The sun will almost certainly shine on the Dawgs because we are not allowed nice things anymore. It's a fact. As reliable as the sunrise.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Mark Stoops said he will play multiple quarterbacks against Missouri this weekend. Sounds like not only will Gunnar Hoak be getting snaps along with Terry Wilson, but Danny Clark might too. It's a hell of a thing to be 6-1 and have a quarterback controversy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Mark Stoops said he will play multiple quarterbacks against Missouri this weekend. Sounds like not only will Gunnar Hoak be getting snaps along with Terry Wilson, but Danny Clark might too. It's a hell of a thing to be 6-1 and have a quarterback controversy.

If it helps any Missouri's been pretty good at letting quarterbacks I've never heard of before go off on them this year. Not a long term solution I know but you might have fun for that game.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Grittybeard posted:

If it helps any Missouri's been pretty good at letting quarterbacks I've never heard of before go off on them this year. Not a long term solution I know but you might have fun for that game.

Hasn't Missouri had issues stopping the run too? I feel like a heavy dose of Benny Snell might be the key. Churn the clock and keep the ball away from Missouri's offense.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Imma be at that game, oddly enough :downs:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Scarf posted:

We've now gotten to the point of Michigan players actively digging up problematic tweets of Michigan State players. One guy found a Spartan tweet about beating women for not knowing how to cook.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AsInHowe posted:

We've now gotten to the point of Michigan players actively digging up problematic tweets of Michigan State players. One guy found a Spartan tweet about beating women for not knowing how to cook.

Huh. Seems like that’d be more of an OSU thing.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Ohio State is a bigger rival than Michigan State

Michigan State cares way more about the rivalry than Michigan

Michigan still hates Michigan State because they're a dirty playing garbage program full of rapists

These things are not mutually exclusive. If I had to choose I would take beating Ohio State every season over Michigan State. That doesn't mean that I like MSU though. I would imagine a similar scenario would be Georgia cares more about Florida than Georgia Tech, but they're still going to be pissed off about losing to Georgia Tech

Actually I see Henchman of Santa already made this comparison, so I could have saved a lot of words! Maybe on a scale of 1-10 our hatred of Ohio State is a 10 and Michigan State has bumped from a 5 to a 8 over the past few years of them beating our asses.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Hasn't Missouri had issues stopping the run too? I feel like a heavy dose of Benny Snell might be the key. Churn the clock and keep the ball away from Missouri's offense.

In theory the front 7 is the strength of the defense, and they're 4th in the nation according to rushing S&P+ somehow? I hadn't actually looked at that until now and it stuns me.

To the eye test they're not really good at anything, although I did think they were at least a little better at stopping the run than the pass.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Marquis de Pyro posted:

These things are not mutually exclusive. If I had to choose I would take beating Ohio State every season over Michigan State. That doesn't mean that I like MSU though.

:agreed:

However, that doesn’t mean I’m fan of UofM, but I also have no real animosity toward the team. Just Harbaugh. Can’t stand the fucker. I hope they lose enough clutch games for the university to kick him to curb.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Also imagine that you lost to a rival because your punter dropped a snap, picked it up, and then threw it to the other team who ran it for the game winning touchdown, and then you had to see the highlight of this play and hear about it like every loving day for three years and probably the rest of your life, all while everyone opines that your coach just can't beat his rivals

That might spice up a rivalry for you a little bit

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Ohio State is a bigger rival than Michigan State

Michigan State cares way more about the rivalry than Michigan

Michigan still hates Michigan State because they're a dirty playing garbage program full of rapists

These things are not mutually exclusive. If I had to choose I would take beating Ohio State every season over Michigan State. That doesn't mean that I like MSU though. I would imagine a similar scenario would be Georgia cares more about Florida than Georgia Tech, but they're still going to be pissed off about losing to Georgia Tech

Actually I see Henchman of Santa already made this comparison, so I could have saved a lot of words! Maybe on a scale of 1-10 our hatred of Ohio State is a 10 and Michigan State has bumped from a 5 to a 8 over the past few years of them beating our asses.

Pretty much!

mgoblog posted:

This weekend on WTKA, Lorenzo White openly joked about the giant piles of steroids MSU was doing the last time they were relevant. This is a widely-reported fact that did not prevent George Perles from becoming an MSU trustee. An internal investigation cleared Perles; in 2008 Tony Mandarich admitted his steroid use and told Armen Keteyian that by the time he reached the NFL he was addicted to painkillers. It is an open secret that MSU did zillions of steroids in the early 1990s and that Mandarich exited Michigan State a ticking timebomb. Not only did MSU let that guy escape with his undeserved dignity intact, they put that guy on the board of trustees.

I mean, why not, right? The rest of the board consists of former football players, infamous slumlord/booster Joel Ferguson, the grandson of the guy the basketball arena is named after, and a couple people who don't even have a good reason to be a shameless lickspittle in the face of incontrovertible evidence that the institution they nominally govern is a failed enterprise. Collectively they said Lou Anna Simon should keep her job after the worst sexual assault scandal in the history of the United States.

So gently caress Michigan State. gently caress their football and basketball teams especially, as they are the main drivers of the deranged culture that enabled Larry Nassar. There is a straight line to draw between Perles and the rest of his board to Mark Hollis to Lou Anna Simon, all of it enabled because Michigan State got to beat big brother in some sports sometimes. Nobody in power at that university cares about the woman subjected to Keith Appling and Adriean Payne's charms, or Auston Robertson's victim, or Travis Walton's, or the various people subjected to the presence of Michigan State players in events that weren't sexual violence but were sure as hell violent. So why would they care about insistent reports dating back 20 years about a doctor abusing gymnasts?

Well, you see, sometimes we get to rub the big in-state school's nose in it. So, obviously. It's all good.

Not only are they a dirty garbage program full of rapists, but their fanbase is collectively the angry conservatives you know on Facebook who talk poo poo and post Trump memes every drat day, but the second there's any pushback, it's time to clutch their pearls and cry about decorum. gently caress that, gently caress them, and gently caress Bill Schuette.

Also, I'm glad that Brian took a shot across Penn State's brow by calling the Nassar scandal the worst in the history of the United States.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I dunno what this S&P+ metric is, but it can eat my butt

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Notre Dame switched QBs at 3-0 with a pretty convincing win over Michigan.

But yeah, if I’m Stoops, there’s no way I keep going without finding someone who can get Lynn Bowden the ball.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

aggies lol

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The interstate rivalry that's bigger than the intrastate one is a weird quirk of college football. I guess because two programs rarely dominate in one state.

Michigan/OSU is bigger than Michigan/MSU
Florida/Georgia is bigger than Georgia/GT or Florida/FSU (conferences also matter there)
Texas/Oklahoma is bigger than Texas/A&M or Bedlam
USC/Notre Dame seems bigger than USC/UCLA

Even a lot of Bama fans seem to hate Tennessee more than Auburn despite the Iron Bowl being an infinitely more important game most years and Auburn having more success in recent memory.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

We hate auburn because of football, we hate Tennessee cause Fulmer was a snitch and Peyton Manning

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OTOH Kentucky’s biggest rival is Louisville because being a trash fire of a football state is tradition.

Also Michigan/tOSU is just an extension of the hatred the two states have of each other. They went to war over Toledo of all things

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

OTOH Kentucky’s biggest rival is Louisville because being a trash fire of a football state is tradition.

Also Michigan/tOSU is just an extension of the hatred the two states have of each other. They went to war over Toledo of all things

We “lost” and got the UP and all of its mined resources out of it.

Also having spent four years in Ohio it is really just Michigan without the scenery.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
https://twitter.com/Rodcox84/status/1053772982387130368

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 23, 2018

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Wait what there's a player on Michigan named Josh uche

How have I not seen this

Glorious j.uche leading Wolverines to victory thru sheer will of the proletariat and glory unto his leader

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking like hiring Taggart was a mistake. Hope they go ahead and fire him and the end of the season and try to hire somebody decent.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Randaconda posted:

Looking like hiring Taggart was a mistake. Hope they go ahead and fire him and the end of the season and try to hire somebody decent.

this is dumb as hell

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

this is dumb as hell

Hmm yes, three losses is acceptable.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It is also fine to be aware that perhaps Jimbo didn’t leave things well managed and it’s going to take a season or two to get full buy in and Taggarts system really in place. At least you aren’t Nebraska

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

KKKLIP ART posted:

It is also fine to be aware that perhaps Jimbo didn’t leave things well managed and it’s going to take a season or two to get full buy in and Taggarts system really in place. At least you aren’t Nebraska

That plus there's no offensive line.

But yes pless fire taggart. I'll sign that petition 8 days a week.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Randaconda posted:

Calm down Rivals quality fan

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

buddhanc posted:

Wait what there's a player on Michigan named Josh uche

How have I not seen this

Glorious j.uche leading Wolverines to victory thru sheer will of the proletariat and glory unto his leader

Get with the program, there's only room for one dictator on this fan base-
https://twitter.com/Ahmadinejad1956/status/1052178368072945668?s=20

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
I was 5 feet away from Rondale Moore Saturday night, rushed the field with my two teenage daughters and pretty much solidified their future as Boilermaker students.

Everyone can drool over Brohm all they want, we'll cross the bridge of him leaving when he decides he wants to leave.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Randaconda posted:

Hmm yes, three losses is acceptable.

You're right, when's the last time in school history that Florida State even lost 3 games in a season? I bet you'd have to go back like 30 years to find that.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikefreemannfl/status/1054719419157491712

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

wernox posted:

Everyone can drool over Brohm all they want, we'll cross the bridge of him leaving when he decides he wants to leave.

Might as well get out in front of it and start kicking the tires on AAC coaches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

There's probably a reason he's jobless.

• Locked thread