Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Didn't Clive palmer just get done pretending to be bankrupt to get out of paying wages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Count Chocula posted:

I used to get really angry about how Australians have no right to free speech because it’s lead to things like videogame censorship and the proposed Internet filter. At least now I support hate speech laws after the rise of Trump. It’s a real culture shock, though.

I’m trying to explain Australian healthcare to an American and it’s not working. Apparently we suffer long wait times and have what procedures we need are determined by an army of faceless beaurocrats. I haven’t really experienced that.

The way I think of it is that if you're waiting a long time for surgery, it doesn't mean your condition doesn't suck, it's that others have it worse.

Which is mind-boggling if you grew up in a country where the healthcare you receive is - with few exceptions - a function of your capacity to pay.

I'm not saying the system is completely perfect and there's zero room for improvement, but sorting waiting lists by need is more humane than the American system.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

froglet posted:

The way I think of it is that if you're waiting a long time for surgery, it doesn't mean your condition doesn't suck, it's that others have it worse.

Which is mind-boggling if you grew up in a country where the healthcare you receive is - with few exceptions - a function of your capacity to pay.

I'm not saying the system is completely perfect and there's zero room for improvement, but sorting waiting lists by need is more humane than the American system.

Also if you are dieing they will save your life free of charge. Just walk into a hospital horribly injured/ill and cost free they will make you better. You never have to choose between living and financial ruin.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Frogfingers posted:

This is Morrison's Joe "The Hockey Stick" moment, isn't it? Dude is not prepared for this kind of attention, at all.

snoremac posted:

"...CANBERRA BUBBLE politics. I'm not in the Canberra Bible, I'm out of it!"

Reclines Obesily posted:

that interview is elder abuse

And verily, the flattery shone above Gotham and like so many moths the fingers fluttered upon the keyboard.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 23, 2018

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Like what's the difference in the states where some people might put off the surgery until they saved up enough money? Or that they get burdened with debt afterwards, that they need to focus on paying it off for such a long period of time and have to sacrifice other things? It's not a better system.

Also the waitlist for stuff isn't super long for most things, anyway. It's triaged in order of severity.

I'm actually trying to convince my partner to ditch our private health insurance all together and self insure instead.

One of her arguments was about wait times, and when I went and looked up hospitals near us the wait time on common things like knee replacements or hysterectomies (her examples) were not huge.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The very existence of wait times is proof of a humane healthcare system. The US has shorter wait times because so much of the population is locked out of receiving any kind of medical care, freeing up resources for those fortunate enough to afford it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
California desert dwellers routinely get cancer and simply shoot themselves in the head.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

GoldStandardConure posted:

I've seen idiot Australians arguing online about their free speech protected by The First Ammendment.

"I have the right of free speech"

No you fuckin don't.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

California desert dwellers routinely get cancer and simply shoot themselves in the head.

There you go, the second amendment at work

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MysticalMachineGun posted:

?

That's a take off of this NPC meme that the alt-right tried to use (anyone who's not me is an NPC, it's weird) and left twitter immediately took it over and made fun of them. Not sure which angle Palmer's coming at it from but he probably just saw it on 4Chan

His social media intern is a an alt-right 4-chan poster, based on a bunch of other stuff that gets posted.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Do you reckon that the success of Phelps in what was once the blue ribboniest of Liberal seats will encourage others like her to steal votes from the Tories?

As in will there be a bunch of LIABN, (Liberal In All But Name), independent candidates running in Liberal seats to take the votes of ex-Lib voters who are dissillusioned with ScoMo's government, but are rusted on 'Anyone-But-Labor'?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BrigadierSensible posted:

Do you reckon that the success of Phelps in what was once the blue ribboniest of Liberal seats will encourage others like her to steal votes from the Tories?

As in will there be a bunch of LIABN, (Liberal In All But Name), independent candidates running in Liberal seats to take the votes of ex-Lib voters who are dissillusioned with ScoMo's government, but are rusted on 'Anyone-But-Labor'?

Maybe the Australian Greens should pivot a little more and take on these lost souls with strong market economic policies and bikes.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Anthony Mundine has confirmed he will sit down when the national anthem is played before his fight against Jeff Horn in Brisbane next month.

You guys want to see Americanisation, check out the comments section of this one.

Are flag are anthem Australia strong :australia:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Maybe the Australian Greens should pivot a little more and take on these lost souls with strong market economic policies and bikes.

It's time! (to reclaim the sensible center!)

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

JBP posted:

The Greens need mixed member proportional representation reform to be relevant in the Reps. If they stay where they are they fight for safe ALP seats, splitting the left. If they go fight for Tree Tory votes they wedge themselves. They're painted into a corner.

Whereas they're represented in the Senate because...

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/AntonyGreenABC/status/1054551438007783424
https://twitter.com/AntonyGreenABC/status/1054553437902319618

if anyone still gives a poo poo

seems like -somethin- happened close to the by election that destroyed shermas preference flow

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Let me start this post by saying gently caress tories of all stripes

However if these "independents" can drag the Liberal party even a tiny bit left (away from Tony Abbot, Dutton, etc) isn't that a good thing?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

clusterfuck posted:

The Greens need mixed member proportional representation reform to be relevant in the Reps. If they stay where they are they fight for safe ALP seats, splitting the left. If they go fight for Tree Tory votes they wedge themselves. They're painted into a corner.

Whereas they're represented in the Senate because...

It's easy to win senate seats just name yourself the Liberalised Labour Party

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
What a great loving union turnout (in Melbourne, lmao Sydney). Really inspiring.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Let me start this post by saying gently caress tories of all stripes

However if these "independents" can drag the Liberal party even a tiny bit left (away from Tony Abbot, Dutton, etc) isn't that a good thing?

Yeah it's great, no argument there.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ediesheps/status/1054554913793929216

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Well done lads

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

/\/\/\Good Job Melbourne/\/\/\

JBP posted:

Kerryn Phelps, Leader of the Liberalised Labour Greens today renamed her party The Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

JBP posted:

Australian Liberty Party - ALP.

Hurf about "freedom" and "Aussie values" with a stock photo of a 'typical Aussie family' (bonus points if white) in a backyard with a hill's hoist, playing cricket with the kids, and 'dad with the BBQ'. You'll make the votes rain.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

clusterfuck posted:

/\/\/\Good Job Melbourne/\/\/\

Kerryn Phelps, Leader of the Liberalised Labour Greens today renamed her party The Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

*places progressive policy on the floor* NOW COME OVER HERE AND SLIP ON IT

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Cpt Soban posted:

Australian Liberty Party - ALP.

Hurf about "freedom" and "Aussie values" with a stock photo of a 'typical Aussie family' (bonus points if white) in a backyard with a hill's hoist, playing cricket with the kids, and 'dad with the BBQ'. You'll make the votes rain.

change your surname to White and run as Whites Australia Party.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

"No no it's not white as in race- My name is White"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Do you think LNP voters get confused when O'Dwyer says unions want to take us back to 1970, but that's her party's whole platform?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

Pro-bikes, anti-bikies; an electorally unassailable position

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

First name White, surname Sonly.

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

JBP posted:

Do you think LNP voters get confused when O'Dwyer says unions want to take us back to 1970, but that's her party's whole platform?

They think the 1950s is a more appropriate decade.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol did Morrison jump straight back to refugee hate as soon as the LNP lost?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

First name White, surname Sonly.

Don't blame me, I voted for Nob Rowns.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

ScoMo strong

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

lol did Morrison jump straight back to refugee hate as soon as the LNP lost?

It's the stock standard buzzwords they pull out of a locked drawer when the polls turn to poo poo and they start losing by-elections.

"LABOR'S BIG NEW TAXES"

"LABOR DEBT"

"BOAT PEOPLE COMING TO STEAL YOUR JOBS"

"SOONER, CHEAPER, MORE AFFORDABLY"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

"Look, it's not my fault my parents named me Nah See and it's my party!"

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/ScottMorrisonMP/status/1054608586125402113

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

"get them into line, with new laws"

SO MUCH FOR THE FREE MARKET HEY SCOMO?

I feel sorry for the poor kid who had to film this while on his lunch break

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
NSW Government Doubles Down: No Pill Testing, Tougher Penalties For Drugs At Festivals

https://junkee.com/gladys-berejiklian-music-festivals/179001

quote:

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has announced that new laws will be introduced to crack down on illegal substances at music festivals across the state.
At a press conference today, the premier stated that the new offence could see dealers at music festivals slammed with penalities of between “10 and 25 years” in prison, if they supply a drug that causes someone’s death. The government will also be trialling on-the-spot fines for those that are found to be carrying drugs for personal use.

“The new licensing scheme we are introducing, combined with better regulatory co-ordination, will ensure that events with a poor track record and heightened risk will face greater oversight from the authorities,” Berejiklian said.
“I value human life. I do not want to see any life taken away.

Pill Testing A “Myth”
Pill testing has again been ruled out, with NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller bizarrely claiming that the idea of the service being able to save lives was a “myth”:

The new measures were recommended to the government by the “expert” safety panel that was formed in the wake of the tragic deaths of two attendees of Defqon.1 festival in Penrith in September from suspected drug overdoses. Two other people, one from Artarmon and the other from Jamisontown, were admitted to hospital in a critical condition.

Following the incident, the premier announced she never wanted to see the festival held in NSW again.

“I never want to see this event held in Sydney or New South Wales ever again — we will do everything we can to shut this down,” she said. “Anyone who advocates pill-testing is giving the green light to drugs. There is no such thing as a safe drug and unfortunately when young people think there is, it has tragic consequences.”

The government’s zero-tolerance position on pill testing has been slammed over the past month, with politicians and health professionals calling for the introduction of the service.

“The premier has the same problem as Defqon.1: thinking that a ban will make a problem go away,” Will Tregoning, the founder and director of drug harm reduction organisation Unharm, told Junkee.

“For years, Defqon.1 told their patrons they have a ‘zero tolerance’ policy for drugs. We now know that at least half the people at an event like Defqon.1 will be illegally using drugs,” Tregoning continued. “Banning things just pushes them into the shadows.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
That's the best take they got.

• Locked thread