Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I liked all the squeaky animals they included to sell lead tainted toys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
You nerds

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

We have recurring Gilbert & Sullivan chat and you’re just now coming to this realization

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

feedmegin posted:

To be fair there are TIE Bombers in Empire Strikes Back who drop gravity bombs on that asteroid the Millennium Falcon hides in. It is v v dumb but that movie didnt start it.

Y-wings also drop gravity bombs. The problem with that TLJ scene is that the bomber is ridiculously slow and the tactics were lol bad.

Bad sequels are better than bad prequels. That’s my position.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The prequels would have 100% been better if Lucas was allowed to stick with the evil Jar Jar plan instead of having to abandon it after episode 1. He was intended to be the evil yoda from the getgo but was set aside after horrific fan reception.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

The prequels would have 100% been better if Lucas was allowed to stick with the evil Jar Jar plan instead of having to abandon it after episode 1. He was intended to be the evil yoda from the getgo but was set aside after horrific fan reception.

Is this real? I would think a Jar Jar heel turn would have improved fan opinion.

Jar Jar was objectively terrible from the beginning though.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Considering they’ve mastered faster than light travel, energy generation capable of destroying planets, and plasma containment fields to make swords, their cannon/blaster/missile targeting systems are pretty garbage.

Luke uses the Force to pretend to be on a different planet and makes his Force hologram draw fire from an entire assault division, then duels Kylo Ren without anyone realizing it was a fake for a solid half hour or more

Everyone on both sides in the entire galaxy: *has intelligence agencies and spies and sends people out to get information in person, because reasons*

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Adam driver doing the sideways stomp when he draws his lightsaber is the coolest thing of the new movies and was created entirely by him because he wanted to set himself apart from the totally standard normal way

He's absolutely carrying the franchise and if they'd had any balls the last movie would have ended with rey considering his completely reasonable offer

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is this real? I would think a Jar Jar heel turn would have improved fan opinion.

Jar Jar was objectively terrible from the beginning though.

I can't find the original video that first pointed it out 5 or 6 years ago, but since them both George Lucas and the actor who played Jar Jar have basically confirmed that it was the plan. Jar Jar was supposed to be the dark side Yoda. Lucas loves his "rhyming" themes. If you watch episode 1, Jar Jar demonstrates cunning athletic ability, complete disregard for jedi and their powers, and is somehow completely and utterly feared by every other gungan. There are even a number of scenes where Jar Jar seems to be using force control abilities to make people say things he wants.

Since Jar Jar was universally despised, they scrapped the idea and basically wrote him out of the remaining two movies as much as possible. That's why Count Dooku just comes out of nowhere plot wise. It was supposed to be a yoda v jar jar battle instead.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Look - I know this has probably been posted 100 times, but it's new to me and it rules - so I thought I'd share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTWdP5DMdsM

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sab0921 posted:

Look - I know this has probably been posted 100 times, but it's new to me and it rules - so I thought I'd share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTWdP5DMdsM

I've seen this so many times and will happily rewatch it again.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can't find the original video that first pointed it out 5 or 6 years ago, but since them both George Lucas and the actor who played Jar Jar have basically confirmed that it was the plan. Jar Jar was supposed to be the dark side Yoda. Lucas loves his "rhyming" themes. If you watch episode 1, Jar Jar demonstrates cunning athletic ability, complete disregard for jedi and their powers, and is somehow completely and utterly feared by every other gungan. There are even a number of scenes where Jar Jar seems to be using force control abilities to make people say things he wants.

Since Jar Jar was universally despised, they scrapped the idea and basically wrote him out of the remaining two movies as much as possible. That's why Count Dooku just comes out of nowhere plot wise. It was supposed to be a yoda v jar jar battle instead.

I know this thread enjoys hazing as much as any other thread full of misanthropic recluses, but trying to trick people into re-watching Episode 1 is beyond the pale...

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

disjoe posted:

We have recurring Gilbert & Sullivan chat and you’re just now coming to this realization

Unlike Gilbert & Sullivan, Star Wars I can parse

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

disjoe posted:

Yeah it was fine. I probably liked Rogue One better but I’m the only person in my circle of friends who preferred Last Jedi to Force Awakens so I’m not exactly a bellwether.

Rogue One > The Force Awakens > The Last Jedi to be honest.

Rogue One was surprisingly not starwars-y, and had the greatest ending of a SW movie (possibly). TFA had a lot of promise, and while I wasn't too happy with what was basically a new hope remix, it at least set up a lot of good interesting plot points for the next move.

The Last Jedi was an insult. Stupid, cashgrabby, annoying, inconsistent, illogical and boring. Did nothing with any of the plot lines from TFR (guess that was unexpected and innovative somehow, not that either quality necessarily means a good movie), completely hosed up the Luke Skywalker storyline while spitting on the memory of one of the most beloved and iconic characters from the franchise, had stupid bullshit like the lightspeed ram which

EwokEntourage posted:

None of the space fighting makes any sense when you could just hyper drive asteroids thru star destroys or death stars or into planets

Yeah, in any proper sci fi setting civilizations would just use relativistic weaponry and that would be it. Maybe a MAD-doctrine solution galaxywide or something but we don't have any indication that this is the case.

The Force Awakens was not bad as a reboot, the Last Jedi just utterly killed the new movies for me. Couldn't care less any more. loving blue walrus milk drinking pieces of poo poo

Mr. Nice! posted:

Would have made the prequels so much better.

mastershakeman posted:

Adam driver doing the sideways stomp when he draws his lightsaber is the coolest thing of the new movies and was created entirely by him because he wanted to set himself apart from the totally standard normal way

He's absolutely carrying the franchise and if they'd had any balls the last movie would have ended with rey considering his completely reasonable offer

Agreed. Adam Driver is fantastic and is totally carrying it all at this point. What else is left? CERTAINLY NOT LUKE SKYWALKER yeah I'm gonna stop right there before I actually get mad about space fantasy opera.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I wanted to see Luke suck the green milk straight from the space walrus teat. That’s the Jedi Way.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I like how this thread is in a state of meltdown over Star Wars, of all things

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Oh please. Like you're above getting irrationally upset over some nerdy poo poo. In fact I bet I could easily get you :spergin: over either chess (lol Серге́й Каря́кин) or maybe the russian 2018 winter olympics results?

Anyway, thank Christ at least it isn't anime.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Alexeythegreat posted:

I like how this thread is in a state of meltdown over Star Wars, of all things

Calmer than you

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Everything would be fine if they had the balls to take at least some things directly from the EU, instead of the sequels being derivative as they are
instead of this weird "legends" bullshit or what's it called

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I actually tried watching solo and was shocked at how muddy and ugly and hard to see the characters were in the beginning. Thought maybe it was my tv? And switched to fury road which still looks amazing and said nope, this is Ron Howard's fault

It's ok if you don't understand why last Jedi is much better than rogue one and the excrementable force awakens, but let's all at least admit the last great blockbuster was fury road

To be fair, a lot of rogue ones problems was the studio flipping out over space Iraq, deleting most of the two lead characters personalities and then throwing in a meaningless fanservice space battle at the end to cover up for the butchering of the first 2/3rds of the movie . So it wasn't a giant directorial fuckuo like force awakens was where Abrams said you know how you make a good movie, is you only make half of one and say come back next time!

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 23, 2018

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nice piece of fish posted:

(lol Серге́й Каря́кин)

What did the minister of defence do now?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I wanted to see Luke suck the green milk straight from the space walrus teat. That’s the Jedi Way.

luke drink the space cum

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

algebra testes posted:

What did the minister of defence do now?

Lost at chess.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

sullat posted:

I know this thread enjoys hazing as much as any other thread full of misanthropic recluses, but trying to trick people into re-watching Episode 1 is beyond the pale...

Here’s the post. I thought it was a video like loose change. Ignore the dumb snoke prediction at the end.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/3qvj6w/theory_jar_jar_binks_was_a_trained_force_user/

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here’s the post. I thought it was a video like loose change. Ignore the dumb snoke prediction at the end.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/3qvj6w/theory_jar_jar_binks_was_a_trained_force_user/

this is 2451 words long

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Why didn't the loving eagles just fly the ring to Mount Doom?

loving hack author.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

SlyFrog posted:

Why didn't the loving eagles just fly the ring to Mount Doom?

loving hack author.

Cause they would be seduced by the ring if they took it themselves.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I for one welcome our new aquiline overlords

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Mr. Nice! posted:

this is essentially a fan conspiracy theory btw. Lucas has never confirmed, and the voice actor who played Jar Jar has said "uhhhh maybe! Who knows! Could be!"

You are conflating Star Wars "ring theory" and "evil Jar Jar" theory, which are conspiracy theories designed to make people think Lucas has secret talent, and isn't a bumbling hack who was making it up as he went along to sell toys

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Old Story posted:

this is essentially a fan conspiracy theory btw. Lucas has never confirmed, and the voice actor who played Jar Jar has said "uhhhh maybe! Who knows! Could be!"

You are conflating Star Wars "ring theory" and "evil Jar Jar" theory, which are conspiracy theories designed to make people think Lucas has secret talent, and isn't a bumbling hack who was making it up as he went along to sell toys

It also assumes Lucas can handle subtext and subtlety. Which he can't. He named bad guys "Darth Maul" and "Darth Tyraneous" and a drug addict "Sleaze Baggano" for Christ's sake.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Darth Badgye

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Doesn’t Darth Vader literally mean Dark Father?

Either way, I still believe in Sith Lord Binks.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I liked the 50s diner in the prequel movie, pure George Lucas. It’s like poetry, everything rhymes. Also the money grubbing flying alien with the Hebrew accent and the Protocols of the Elders of Zion facial features

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I would do anything to see the secret experimental films that Lucas says he spends his time making in his garage now

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Old Story posted:

I would do anything to see the secret experimental films that Lucas says he spends his time making in his garage now

Anything, you say?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
That some monkey’s paw level poo poo, ending with you snuffing a genetically engineered Ewok on camera.

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Alexeythegreat posted:

Anything, you say?

well, excepting going to law school

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

I actually tried watching solo and was shocked at how muddy and ugly and hard to see the characters were in the beginning. Thought maybe it was my tv? And switched to fury road which still looks amazing and said nope, this is Ron Howard's fault

It's ok if you don't understand why last Jedi is much better than rogue one and the excrementable force awakens, but let's all at least admit the last great blockbuster was fury road

To be fair, a lot of rogue ones problems was the studio flipping out over space Iraq, deleting most of the two lead characters personalities and then throwing in a meaningless fanservice space battle at the end to cover up for the butchering of the first 2/3rds of the movie . So it wasn't a giant directorial fuckuo like force awakens was where Abrams said you know how you make a good movie, is you only make half of one and say come back next time!

Is Fury Road out on Netflix yet?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

sullat posted:

Is Fury Road out on Netflix yet?

Netflix doesn't have movies it's just a premium cable channel at this point

If you want movies you get a networked hard drive and a $35 raspberry pi 3, throw xbmc on it and use that for a decade and counting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

Netflix doesn't have movies it's just a premium cable channel at this point

If you want movies you get a networked hard drive and a $35 raspberry pi 3, throw xbmc on it and use that for a decade and counting

yeah this is shockingly true, i cannot recall the last time i thought "i would like to see this movie" and found it on netflix, or saw a movie on netflix that i was interested in seeing