Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

psylent posted:

I've got Dark Souls II sitting unplayed in my Steam library, think I got it in a Humble Bundle at some point. Is it an improvement over the original? Should I bother going back to the original?

All 5 of the Souls games are different in many ways and there's definitely reasons to play every one of them. You can play both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Play 1 first. 2 is probably the most different from the rest.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

psylent posted:

I've got Dark Souls II sitting unplayed in my Steam library, think I got it in a Humble Bundle at some point. Is it an improvement over the original? Should I bother going back to the original?

It's pretty good but I'd say finish 1 first.

Also this is about to spawn like 30 pages of arguing, just fair warning.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I feel like people don’t get too heated about DS preference anymore. especially compared to say botw weapon durability

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I have a healthy respect for all the Souls games, but 2 is my favorite

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I never played the Scholar version, is it pretty good?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

b_d posted:

I feel like people don’t get too heated about DS preference anymore. especially compared to say botw weapon durability

maybe not in the Nintendo Switch thread but they definitely still do

they're good games

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

psylent posted:

Both well worth your time play DS before 2 so you wont miss quality of life improvments.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

psylent posted:

I genuinely love DS2. The only major flaw is what they call Soul Memory, which ruins online for me. I love the scenery and the main town has the perfect drab music to go along with it. It made me fall in love with the series.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I respect the first half of Dark Souls but I do not respect everything after Anor Londo as the game goes to poo poo almost instantly. I always wondered if they ran out of budget or just didn't have a clear vision or what because it's bad.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
dark souls 2 has the best combat of the entire series just because of POWERSTANCE and how fun both fist weapons and maces are.

I mean, it is not bloodborne, but it is good.
Also it has the best cooperative online aspect, and a couple of VERY fun griefing covenants, bell bros for life.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I respect the first half of Dark Souls but I do not respect everything after Anor Londo as the game goes to poo poo almost instantly. I always wondered if they ran out of budget or just didn't have a clear vision or what because it's bad.

What Exactly dont you like? Because the game opens up there and it's a choose from 4 paths thing. So you find the content is leveled weirdly because of any order you can do it. And a bit confusing but no more than the game was already

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Luisfe posted:

dark souls 2 has the best combat of the entire series just because of POWERSTANCE and how fun both fist weapons and maces are.

I mean, it is not bloodborne, but it is good.
Also it has the best cooperative online aspect, and a couple of VERY fun griefing covenants, bell bros for life.

Power stancing 2 great clubs was amazing. My guy was STR only and just pounded everything into dust, it was so fun and easy.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

people are always saying this but it's mostly just the bed of chaos + area preceding it that's a real step down

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The only post-Anor Londo area I dislike is yeah Lost Izalith because it's blatantly unfinished but the rest of it is fine. Some of it is kinda short and disappointing in scope like the area running up to Nito but coming off of Demon's Souls where every world final boss was a gimmick puzzle battle I was fine with it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

people are always saying this but it's mostly just the bed of chaos + area preceding it that's a real step down

Yeah that's true and the biggest complaint for the remake that they didnt unfuck thst

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

even if everything after anor londo were actual garbage it would still be worth playing the game. c'mon its dark souls

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Both well worth your time play DS before 2 so you wont miss quality of life improvments.

I went 2 -> 3 -> 1 for my playthroughs and I was surprised to find DS1 totally fine without all the nice stuff the later games add

But yeah I wouldn't recommend anyone else do that

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bombadilillo posted:

What Exactly dont you like? Because the game opens up there and it's a choose from 4 paths thing. So you find the content is leveled weirdly because of any order you can do it. And a bit confusing but no more than the game was already

I just think the quality goes down and the level design just takes a nosedive in general. I think the Library is okay but the rest I'm fine never playing again.

Invisible platforms: the cave and whatnot, infinite ghost town and lost izalith are just dire.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

caldrax posted:

It's pretty good but I'd say finish 1 first.

Also this is about to spawn like 30 pages of arguing, just fair warning.
Righto, I'll take the leap on the Switch version. If I'm missing that 60FPS action I might end up swapping some of my Humble library for Dark Souls Remastered.

Thanks!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

psylent posted:

the level design isn't as good and according to most the story isn't as strong, but the gameplay is way better. also the online is way streamlined and the covenants are better and easier to engage with and and the small white soapstone makes co-op a breeze and, most importantly, you get four ring slots

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I played 1, then 3, then 2 last and I think that turned out the be the best order for me. There was something about 2 that I really, really enjoyed and it feels pretty unique in both its gameplay and design. I also liked how they changed up a lot of consumable items and added the ability to find +1/2/3 rings without being in NG+. I didn't mess with Bonfire Ascetics very much but they added a neat element to the game overall, letting you up the difficulty in places and refight bosses for new rewards and additional copies of boss souls. Basically, there was a lot of cool new stuff that 2 added on to 1 that was mostly forgotten when it came time to make 3. And I can understand why some people who had played and really enjoyed 2 were disappointed with some aspects of 3. 3 really feels more like the direct sequel to 1 than anything else since most of its aesthetic and mechanics draw from it more than 2. In fact, almost nothing major from 2 got retained at all.

In the end, I think 2 might be my favorite even though it was the last one I played. I just really liked exploring its world, trying new builds and seeing what happened. It's too bad I never played it at the height of its popularity though. It would've been fun to mess more with the Bell Bros or the rat covenant I forget the name of.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

Power stancing 2 great clubs was amazing. My guy was STR only and just pounded everything into dust, it was so fun and easy.
Everyone should get 99 STR and powerstance the chicken legs at least once in their life :allears:

Looper posted:

the level design isn't as good and according to most the story isn't as strong, but the gameplay is way better.
That's sorta what I've been saying too. To me DS1 felt like reading a really amazing book for the first time, the worldbuilding and story and the sense of discovery made it a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but I didn't get a great urge to go back and play more runs of it once I had finished it. DS2 on the other hand didn't feel nearly as magical, but I ended up spending hundreds of hours in it because I just had a lot of fun with the gameplay. So I guess I would say that DS1 felt like a better experience but DS2 felt like a better game if that makes sense? I love both very much even if it's for different reasons.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

psylent posted:

I think 2 is pretty bad (mediocre). Regardless you should play 1 first. There’s good reason that 1 is considered one of the best games of the decade and all time.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 23, 2018

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Your Computer posted:

To me DS1 felt like reading a really amazing book for the first time, the worldbuilding and story and the sense of discovery made it a once-in-a-lifetime experience
Aww yeah. After having that kind of experience with BotW I've been looking for another game that has that kind of feeling.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

psylent posted:

Aww yeah. After having that kind of experience with BotW I've been looking for another game that has that kind of feeling.

You’re gonna love it in that case. My advice for maximum enjoyment is to take it slow, not look up anything online and try to not get too discouraged if you get stuck on a boss.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

(Demon’s Souls is the best)

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

FPzero posted:

I played 1, then 3, then 2 last and I think that turned out the be the best order for me. There was something about 2 that I really, really enjoyed and it feels pretty unique in both its gameplay and design. I also liked how they changed up a lot of consumable items and added the ability to find +1/2/3 rings without being in NG+. I didn't mess with Bonfire Ascetics very much but they added a neat element to the game overall, letting you up the difficulty in places and refight bosses for new rewards and additional copies of boss souls. Basically, there was a lot of cool new stuff that 2 added on to 1 that was mostly forgotten when it came time to make 3. And I can understand why some people who had played and really enjoyed 2 were disappointed with some aspects of 3. 3 really feels more like the direct sequel to 1 than anything else since most of its aesthetic and mechanics draw from it more than 2. In fact, almost nothing major from 2 got retained at all.

In the end, I think 2 might be my favorite even though it was the last one I played. I just really liked exploring its world, trying new builds and seeing what happened. It's too bad I never played it at the height of its popularity though. It would've been fun to mess more with the Bell Bros or the rat covenant I forget the name of.

I played them in release order but completely agree. 2 is my favourite (excepting Bloodborne).

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Doctor Syrup posted:

Hahaha loving kill me :suicide:

Holy smoke

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
OH, BY THE WAY...:nyoron:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

psylent posted:

It really is something else and I hope you'll love it!

It can definitely be compared to BotW in some sense - there isn't a typical videogame story, you aren't railroaded along cutscenes and you aren't getting exposition dumps from NPCs. You gotta piece together things yourself from the environment, talking to the few people you can meet, reading item descriptions and so on. It gave me an odd sense of nostalgia, harkening back to when I was a kid playing stuff like Zelda before I learned English - I knew some words and could get a sense of what was going on, but I had to fill in the gaps. That's what Dark Souls felt like for me.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Your Computer posted:

It really is something else and I hope you'll love it!

It can definitely be compared to BotW in some sense - there isn't a typical videogame story, you aren't railroaded along cutscenes and you aren't getting exposition dumps from NPCs. You gotta piece together things yourself from the environment, talking to the few people you can meet, reading item descriptions and so on. It gave me an odd sense of nostalgia, harkening back to when I was a kid playing stuff like Zelda before I learned English - I knew some words and could get a sense of what was going on, but I had to fill in the gaps. That's what Dark Souls felt like for me.

Before everything was compared to dark souls.

Dark souls was compared to zelda.

"A 3D reimagining of the legend of zelda NES."

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I did it, I bought dark souls

I'm doing it for the eventual dark souls 2, now that is going to be one hell of a treat. For now DS1 is still fun and very novel on the tiny screen.

Thankfully the audio is improved from the network test, even if it isn't all that hot
It's fine. The frame dips so far seem to be no worse than say, bloodborne on og PS4, smooth enough for the small screen

Tiny Dark Souls is a hoot. I have bought this same game like six times now

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Before everything was compared to dark souls.

Dark souls was compared to zelda.

"A 3D reimagining of the legend of zelda NES."

Casltevania moreso, as I recall.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
La-Mulana?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

disjoe posted:

(Demon’s Souls is the best)

It really has the best EXPERIENCES in the entire series.
Latria and the Valley are unsurpassed in their respective atmospheres and how they FEEL. It is outstanding.

But honestly Bloodborne is the best game of them all, and playing the other games in the same way that Bloodborne wants you to makes them all better.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Luisfe posted:

Latria and the Valley are unsurpassed in their respective atmospheres and how they FEEL. It is outstanding.

Latria is so drat good that From Software spent the following 4 games trying to re-create that magic and came up short every time. IMO they came close with Bloodborne's clock tower but that prison in 3 was way too on the nose.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do those strap cap things for detached joycons do anything besides, er, be a strap? I can't seem to find mine anywhere :confused:

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

They give you more pronounced shoulder buttons when playing in sideways, single JoyCon mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It gives it a little more heft for the large-handed among us