Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
also since this derail apparently isn't going away, here's a hot take: 9/11 didn't happen to america, it happened to the entire world

9/11 started cracks in us alliances and credibility, allowing putin to slip the knife in

we're at year 17 of our war in afghanistan, the graveyard of empires

hundreds of thousands of iraqi civilians and conscripts died because 9/11 gave bush an excuse to reinvade iraq

people died in american goddamn torture cells because 9/11 led to the doctrine that torture is good and we should pay two psychologists 90 million dollars to develop our own scientific torture program

terrorism proliferated and civil wars erupted and millions of people became refugees in the aftermath of 9/11

in conclusion, 9/11 was a bad idea and bin laden probably shouldn't have done it, no matter how hard the banker fucks in the towers deserved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Senor Dog posted:

Actually I bet I know what I was saying better than you, since I made the post and specifically discussed the quote. I think the problem here is you didn’t read the post I was responding to. that’s my bad because I was lazy and didn’t quote it.

Yes America is evil, I thought that went without saying here. I’ll say it again to boost your confidence though: America is the great Satan

Good, we are reconciled.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I grew up in NY and had a couple of friends and classmates who had parents die in 9/11, it was really hosed up and awful and it's hard for me to have a sense of humor about it. The idea that all Americans deserve to die because of the actions of the U.S. government implies that the government actually acts on the behalf of and is beholden to the citizenry, which I think we all know isn't true.

Yeah, innocents died in 9/11. It's tragic.

Personally, I think the humour is more on the American reaction to it than on the victims, but I understand why it's really uncomfortable anyway.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Senor Dog posted:

I think the problem here is you didn’t read the post I was responding to. that’s my bad because I was lazy and didn’t quote it.

It's from the guy who "wrote the book" on Al-Qaeda according to Chomsky, so take that for what it's worth. :shrug:

Maybe Osama made a bit a journey.

Haha, remember how his assassination also led to a polio outbreak in Pakistan, because the intel had been gathered through a vaccination program?

Duscat posted:

scientific torture program

*pumps hummus up butthole, scribbles notes furiously*

SplitSoul has issued a correction as of 23:31 on Oct 22, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duscat posted:

9/11 started cracks in us alliances and credibility, allowing putin to slip the knife in

lmfa fuckin' o

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
lmao that bin laden did 9/11 to draw us into an unwinnable war that lasts forever against an invisible enemy and we fuckin did it exactly according to his plan

the terrorists have truly won

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nah, he thought it would somehow start a civil war between whites and blacks in America, forcing them to remove their troops from the Middle East, letting him create a new Caliphate.

He completely failed in every way.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
even tho he was the failson of the family he at least made sure that the war would earn the rest of the bin ladens (and bushes) plenty of money via the carlyle group

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah 9/11 was as much a political thing for bin Laden specifically as it was an actual attack. It was a big "win" and predictably caused America to respond by being significantly more visibly evil, especially to the people bin Laden was trying to convince to be afraid of the US and join him.

bin laden won the war on terror so loving hard its insane

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
bin laden sure was an rear end in a top hat for making bush and obama do war crimes

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I grew up in NY and had a couple of friends and classmates who had parents die in 9/11, it was really hosed up and awful and it's hard for me to have a sense of humor about it. The idea that all Americans deserve to die because of the actions of the U.S. government implies that the government actually acts on the behalf of and is beholden to the citizenry, which I think we all know isn't true.

the attack wasn't on citizens but on america's strangle hold on the third world via global finance and global martial might hth

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Tastykake posted:

Moridin920 posted:

bin laden sure was an rear end in a top hat for making bush and obama do war crimes

yeah, this

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tastykake posted:

it was kind of a mutual agreement. bin laden got what he wanted and america got to start more pointless wars

9/11 was basically a miracle for corrupt right-wing scum, who then got everything they wanted at the expense of lives they didn't give a poo poo about

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nah, he thought it would somehow start a civil war between whites and blacks in America, forcing them to remove their troops from the Middle East, letting him create a new Caliphate.

He completely failed in every way.

ur gunna need 2 back that up

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Last two pages

https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?lang=en

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Modest Mao posted:

ur gunna need 2 back that up

Can't remember where I read this, so maybe I was mistaking Bin Laden for Charles Manson.

Maybe it was an Adam Curtis documentary.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ScrubLeague posted:

lmao that bin laden did 9/11 to draw us into an unwinnable war that lasts forever against an invisible enemy and we fuckin did it exactly according to his plan

the terrorists have truly won

yeah the terroristic usa war machine won and has their profitable foreverwar

the lesson of 911 is the same as our city flattening of german cities in ww2 - if you dont want your country bombed, overthrow the leaders

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

lol if you think thatll help. the only way to prevent your country from being bombed is for the cia to overhtrow your leaders. america will always respond to genuine popular uprisings by raining down hellfire on your poor wretched country.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

we will bomb everyone, everywhere, and there is nothing you, or i, or even any american with a net worth of less than 8 figures can do about it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tastykake posted:

we will bomb everyone, everywhere, and there is nothing you, or i, or even any american with a net worth of less than 8 figures can do about it.

What about the apocalypse?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The bombs must flow

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

the apocalypse will come about via american activity, either nuclear warfare or exxon-mobile

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

got any sevens posted:

yeah the terroristic usa war machine won and has their profitable foreverwar

the lesson of 911 is the same as our city flattening of german cities in ww2 - if you dont want your country bombed, overthrow the leaders

the firebombings of Dresden and many Japanese cities were war crimes hth

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
At the time Dresden was bombed, Anne Frank was still alive.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tetracube posted:

it was kind of a mutual agreement. bin laden got what he wanted and america got to start more pointless wars

9/11 was basically a miracle for corrupt right-wing scum, who then got everything they wanted at the expense of lives they didn't give a poo poo about

Yeah this is what I was trying to say, he basically did the same thing Bush did.

Modest Mao posted:

the attack wasn't on citizens but on america's strangle hold on the third world via global finance and global martial might hth

Like how whenever the American military kills civilians they're actually killing sneaky terrorists

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

the firebombings of Dresden and many Japanese cities were war crimes hth

The only good fascist is a dead fascist

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Byzantine posted:

The only good fascist is a dead fascist

somehow the soviets managed to kill almost every single fascist they came across without committing crimes against humanity. makes you think

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

somehow the soviets managed to kill almost every single fascist they came across without committing crimes against humanity. makes you think

uhm

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Larry Parrish posted:

:eyepop:

do some reading about the Eastern Front, after the Nazis were so loving abhorrent while powering into Russia the Russians gave back in spades when they pushed west

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Tastykake posted:

the apocalypse will come about via american activity, either nuclear warfare or exxon-mobile
I wish they'd hurry up already

I want to die

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Shame Boy posted:

Like how whenever the American military kills civilians they're actually killing sneaky terrorists

If your list of people who would need to die for the world to be better doesn't start with the world trade centers and the pentagon you're in the wrong forum bucko

Semquais
Dec 5, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

What about the apocalypse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyMNIFZTQkg

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Modest Mao posted:

If your list of people who would need to die for the world to be better doesn't start with the world trade centers and the pentagon you're in the wrong forum bucko

Mine starts with Dave across the road.
:argh:Dave!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Duscat posted:

also since this derail apparently isn't going away, here's a hot take: 9/11 didn't happen to america, it happened to the entire world

we're at year 17 of our war in afghanistan, the graveyard of empires

hundreds of thousands of iraqi civilians and conscripts died because 9/11 gave bush an excuse to reinvade iraq

people died in american goddamn torture cells because 9/11 led to the doctrine that torture is good and we should pay two psychologists 90 million dollars to develop our own scientific torture program

terrorism proliferated and civil wars erupted and millions of people became refugees in the aftermath of 9/11

in conclusion, 9/11 was a bad idea and bin laden probably shouldn't have done it, no matter how hard the banker fucks in the towers deserved it
9/11 didn't cause a bunch of wars. the bush administration had a plan to bomb a whole bunch of countries well before 9/11 according to general wesley clark

americans have been torturing for a very long time. as william blum likes to say, torture is as american as apple pie. the US trains other countries to torture and that's part of the reason there are annual protests at the school of the americas.

those civil wars, including those heavily instigated by the west, were going to happen with or without 9/11 as had happened before 9/11

killing hope by william blum is a good crash course on american foreign policy during the cold war and touches heavily on the above topics

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

SplitSoul posted:

It's from the guy who "wrote the book" on Al-Qaeda according to Chomsky, so take that for what it's worth. :shrug:

Maybe Osama made a bit a journey.

Haha, remember how his assassination also led to a polio outbreak in Pakistan, because the intel had been gathered through a vaccination program?

*pumps hummus up butthole, scribbles notes furiously*

Obviously this looks bad but it's 100% worth reading Robert Fisk - he's essentially the only Brit ME journalist worth your time and his analysis on how bin Laden went from scion of construction magnates to al-Qaeda warlord won't get written anywhere else

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

why is this thread so prone to derails. post capitalism.pngs pls

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

uncop posted:

Terrorism is bad, but only because it's kinda shown to be useless for making anything good happen in the short or long term. It's a tool fitting only for people who are either nihilistic or spiritual enough to see what happens in the real world as less meaningful than what they seek to accomplish by their acts.

I dunno, terrorism in the north of Ireland seemed to have eventually led to concessions for the republicans.
Nelson Mandela was a terrorist and managed to achieve his aims and became remembered as a man of peace.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The idea that terrorism does nothing positive is a lie created by the ruling class

Who stands to gain by doing nothing? Only the people currently in power.

No one is coming to save you but yourselves. Use your 2A rights.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Rail system was privatised.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

money snakes its tendril to every issue in society

(viz., its the same reason as why the bfc bad with money thread derails entirely

they attacked it by posting toucan pics whenever peeps derail

i recommend warhammer 40k pics, cuz they're visually interesting and still topical but never gonna get posted in normal situations)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Sheng-Ji Yang posted: