Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Rate the Thread!
This poll is closed.
0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
7 100.00%
Total: 7 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My granddaughter sighing and calling my doctor to schedule a euthanization as I shove a 50-year-old controller in her hands and insist she play Red Dead Redemption 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

all i know is im going to be a hit in the retirement village with my point blank setup

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Lol an old cell phone is hardly the same thing as all your nes and snes carts suddenly stop working

You'll all remember this post when you try to show your grandchild red dead redemption 2 in thirty years and the disc won't work with no server found, just you wait and see

OK I'll shut up now

theres an entire lost generation of pre-smart phone japanese phone games

and arent carts and discs gonna slowly stop working by then anyway, arent early cd games already rotting

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i just think its a natural part of history that some things fall into obscurity and are forgotten while some are remembered. nobody is ever going to forget super mario brothers 3 and its probably always going to be available to play in some format due to the efforts of nintendo and fans of the game. it will be the same for red dead redemption 2 if it turns out to be a game of that caliber. which i personally doubt but you never know

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

haha, they should have released it on 3 dual-layer blu-ray discs.

these game companies are so loving lazy with storage. Super Mario 3-d WORLD for the WiiU is under 6gb.

all of these physical discs are going to be completely useless in 15 or so years. this is why i hack all my consoles. the idea of something I bought a physical copy of no longer working in the future drives me insane and i don't understand how not many people seem to be concerned about it.

It doesn't need a third disc, Playstations need a bunch of extra empty space on the hard drive to install stuff for some reason.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

trying to jack off posted:

all i know is im going to be a hit in the retirement village with my point blank setup

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Postman but I’m wandering around the wasteland delivering steam keys for Killing Floor.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

My granddaughter sighing and calling my doctor to schedule a euthanization as I shove a 50-year-old controller in her hands and insist she play Red Dead Redemption 2

lmao

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

me wandering around the retirement home with my original gameboy modded with a backlight getting increasingly agitated due to my dementia when no other old person has thought to preserve their game boys and pokemon cartridges for golden years pokebattles and trading

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

me wandering around the retirement home with my original gameboy modded with a backlight getting increasingly agitated due to my dementia when no other old person has thought to preserve their game boys and pokemon cartridges for golden years pokebattles and trading

lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The Imp Zone Brooklyn Nursing Home

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

The Imp Zone Brooklyn Nursing Home

lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The entire lovely Gameloft catalog of pre smartphone games will be lost like me somehow in their completely linear Splinter Cell game

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I really liked the DOOM RPG on my old flip phone

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McebJNrWQ3s

Lol the trailer owns

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There were five games in that franchise. Rumor is it was Carmacks baby so when he left Id nobody gave a poo poo about them anymore and thus they remain trapped in the nether

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Barudak posted:

There were five games in that franchise. Rumor is it was Carmacks baby so when he left Id nobody gave a poo poo about them anymore and thus they remain trapped in the nether

these games are like a decade old, from a major developer, were very popular, and have virtually disappeared whoops

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
I’m glad for game preservation

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Xbox Ambassador posted:

im gay for game preservation

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

elf help book posted:

these games are like a decade old, from a major developer, were very popular, and have virtually disappeared whoops

Doom RPG got an ios port but I don't think the Wolfenstein one did. I don't know what the other games in the franchise are though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Xbox Ambassador posted:

I’m glad for game preservation

I love it and I hope it keeps getting better

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

goferchan posted:

Doom RPG got an ios port but I don't think the Wolfenstein one did. I don't know what the other games in the franchise are though

orc & elves 1 and 2, and a doom 2 rpg

doom 2 i think was made for iphone

orc & elves 1 got a ds port but i dont know about 2

and who knows if either of those iphone ones even work anymore lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doom 2 RPG was ported to iPhone but was a dumb phone original.

Theyre genuinely quite good games, but yeah cellphone preservation of games is non existent and collecting old phone games is basically impossible. Like, I very well could have been the only person to play prince of persia sands of time for phones and while it was poo poo, I dont even know how youd get that game back much less working on modern hardware.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All my iPhone games broke with iOS updates but thankfully Super Hexagon still works

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Edit: and burrito bison

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Barudak posted:

Doom 2 RPG was ported to iPhone but was a dumb phone original.

Theyre genuinely quite good games, but yeah cellphone preservation of games is non existent and collecting old phone games is basically impossible. Like, I very well could have been the only person to play prince of persia sands of time for phones and while it was poo poo, I dont even know how youd get that game back much less working on modern hardware.

yea i mentioned japanese dumbphone games because in that era like every weirdo 80s japanese game franchise got a brand new phone game sequel and now theyre all impossible to find or play or even get info on them existing at all

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I remember playing DW3 on GBC on a plane as a little kid and a Japanese guy saw me and showed me some dragon quest game running on his flip phone and it completely blew my mind . He had the inn jingle as a text message tone too

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

I remember playing DW3 on GBC on a plane as a little kid and a Japanese guy saw me and showed me some dragon quest game running on his flip phone and it completely blew my mind . He had the inn jingle as a text message tone too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwSsMMou_Hc&t=31s

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Don’t worry everyone, I had the foresight to perfectly preserve all of the most popular flip phone games *opens door revealing thousands of breakout clones*

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Don’t worry everyone, I had the foresight to perfectly preserve all of the most popular flip phone games *opens door revealing thousands of breakout clones*

I played an unbelievable amount of Mr. Driller on my phone so that better be there.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

elf help book posted:

yea i mentioned japanese dumbphone games because in that era like every weirdo 80s japanese game franchise got a brand new phone game sequel and now theyre all impossible to find or play or even get info on them existing at all

i remember checking out some of the silent hill ones lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I wasnt even thinking of older cell phone games when I made my post; I was more referring to the absurdity of something physical that you bought no longer working (and not due to rot or damage). I kind of expect digital poo poo to not be re-downloadable in 20 years but yeah those doom RPGs sound awesome and it kinda should be preserved if possible. the only console that i can think of that has games physically rotting away is the Sega CD because of some garbage method they pressed those with but since there's zero copy protection on the sega cd it doesn't matter.

when I bought all the smart lights for my home (dimmers and on/off switches that I can control from a phone or alexa), I kinda went with that mentality too and bought Lutron Casetta brand specifically because they will work without an internet connection. Google had some early smart home thing called Revolv and they shut it down and now everyone who bought Revolv stuff have bricks that literally don't work any longer. lol just shut off my loving light, why do you need to connect to a server

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

im just not terribly concerned about the future availability of what will probably be one of the best selling games of all time

red dead 1 is still sold in stores, and even is being repackaged as a xbox one game

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

when was the last time you wanted to play gta 2

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ol yeller posted:

hopefully you find the right girl by then
The hardest part is finding a woman who's never been online.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The only phone game I miss is Dungeon Raid, but I think that still works on Android.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Looking forward to my son telling me I'm not allowed to visit my grandkids anymore because i kept yelling about Islamic prayers and green blood while watching him play some new version of Ocarina of Time.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

:rolleyes: Oh yeah... THAT happened, Grandpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Elderly stink controller