Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
You haven't known resin pain till you have bought Forge World

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Who makes cheap but also passably good M3 Stuarts? I want 10 of the fuckers for FOW but I also don't want to spend a lot on them.

They don't have to be good, just not terrible.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

You haven't known resin pain till you have bought Forge World

Worst money I've ever spent

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Geisladisk posted:

Who makes cheap but also passably good M3 Stuarts? I want 10 of the fuckers for FOW but I also don't want to spend a lot on them.

http://theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_51_56_57&products_id=576

Twenty of her majesty's brexit bucks gets you five teeny tanks.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

PSC is the best deal, the alternatives are 21 and a half of Her Majesty's Brexit Bucks for 4 from Forged in Battle, 6 and a half of Her Majesty's Brexit Bucks each from Skytrex, or 5 Freedom Pesos each from GAMING MODELS

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 22, 2018

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Those are M5's

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Fish and Chimps posted:

Those are M5's

These are the PSC M3s

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

These are the PSC M3s

Oooh, nice. I thought they only made M5's. Cool.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Geisladisk posted:

BF's resin models are objectively worse than their plastic, but I still like them more because I like my toy tanks to have a reassuring weight when I push them across the table.

Put a weight inside them; I use fishing weights.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Has anyone messed around with the new Bolt Action Western Desert stuff? It looks like it might be fun to be build a LRDG list out of the new selectors. It looks like Rubicon makes some good plastic trucks for it.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Early model Pz. 4 for What a Tanker, and maybe CoC blitzkrieg down the line. 15mm Battlefront plastic.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
SAGA players - I'm about to get into the game and I'm currently looking at Jomsvikings as my faction. Is there anything I need to know about them ahead of time? Also, is there a resource online or in print I could pick up for painting them?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Following with interest. I dabbled a bit with the earlier edition of Saga and just ordered the new rulebook and viking-era lists.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Geisladisk posted:

15mm? I can see how much it will cost to print 10 off.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Cessna posted:

Put a weight inside them; I use fishing weights.

I usually do the same, although I'm not above filling them with rocks and glue

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Zuul the Cat posted:

SAGA players - I'm about to get into the game and I'm currently looking at Jomsvikings as my faction. Is there anything I need to know about them ahead of time? Also, is there a resource online or in print I could pick up for painting them?

I think you have a tremendous amount of creative freedom for modeling them, considering their geographic location and mix of nationalities. You can really draw inspiration from east like Kievan Rus and the Baltic pagans, as well as more traditional Swedish, Danish and Norwegian Vikings.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Now that I finished the panzer 4 I have a plethora of wehraboo tanks, and can do a timeline of terrible engineering:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Fish and Chimps posted:

Now that I finished the panzer 4 I have a plethora of wehraboo tanks, and can do a timeline of terrible engineering:

Is that Pz III single?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

Is that Pz III single?

Nah, but it has a sister: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roco-Min...aYKmM:rk:9:pf:0

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

goodness posted:

15mm? I can see how much it will cost to print 10 off.

Thanks for the offer! I have access to a printer - I was considering printing them, but I don't think these tiny barrels would work all that well printed at 15mm.

Do you have any good stls for Stuarts?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Geisladisk posted:

Thanks for the offer! I have access to a printer - I was considering printing them, but I don't think these tiny barrels would work all that well printed at 15mm.

Do you have any good stls for Stuarts?

I've used these:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:769137

And you could probably print the turrets without barrels, and just use plastic rod and a drill for barrels.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Anyone have rules for one of these, coming soon?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I finished a Sherman V that I'm very happy with. The wash on the commander is still drying, but the tank itself is done. Also, goddamn the zoom lens on my new phone is great!

I tried to do some subdued weathering. It's really easy to overdo it, so it's been a learning process to limit myself. A bit of oil streaks, some rust on the metal parts of the tracks and chipping.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Signal posted:

I've used these:

And you could probably print the turrets without barrels, and just use plastic rod and a drill for barrels.

Oh, the first thing I did was check that pack out, thought I didn't see a Stuart there.

That pack is a goldmine. My mid war KV-1s are from that pack, and I've got a Panzer IV I printed out for WAT sitting on my desk right now.

I've been having an issue with getting a lot of stringing and frosting lately, which I think is due to one of the printer head fans being sickly. This caused the Panzer IV to turn out a little grody, even after cleaning it up. Still, good enough for tabletop I guess.

I've got a Prusa i3, and although it's loving fantastic for printing terrain, for 15mm scale tanks the results are merely passable. I really want a resin printer, but I don't have anywhere child safe and with good ventilation to put it. There's no way I'm running one of those in my apartment with a toddler around.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I started slapping some paint onto my British North Africa army last night for my Bolt Action army. I need to clean it up, but does this tan look right for the uniforms?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Zuul the Cat posted:

I started slapping some paint onto my British North Africa army last night for my Bolt Action army. I need to clean it up, but does this tan look right for the uniforms?
Yeah, that tan looks fine. For guys who had been in the field a long time, it faded to almost white, so yours looks really good.

That said, your officer's hat and sweater would actually be a much darker color, something like this:

A good base color for these (and the socks) is VMC English Uniform.

Also: oh gods, the mold lines! I cannot unsee them! :cripes:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm sorry if this is discussed earlier or regularly, but are there any good rulesets for The Renaissance Period/The Thirty Years War era aside from Pike and Shotte? And are there good suppliers for miniatures for the era as well? Me and a friend are really eager to field some Landsknect armies.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

There’s a ruleset by the “To the Strongest!” Creator called “For King and Parliament” which covers the English civil war

https://bigredbatshop.co.uk/collections/all/wargames-rules

There’s also field of glory renaissance, which I’ve never played on tabletop, but I like the digital version (slitherine’s Pike and Shot)

E: miniatures depends on period, for landshn. I know of wargames foundry having a big range. Also check out Artizan Designs. For TYW era I certainly like the Perry miniatures English civil war stuff. There are good plastic 1/72 for TYW out there as well.

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 25, 2018

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Signal posted:

I've used these:

This is the pack I was going to suggest.
I wonder how much time he spent making all those

goodness fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 25, 2018

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm sorry if this is discussed earlier or regularly, but are there any good rulesets for The Renaissance Period/The Thirty Years War era aside from Pike and Shotte? And are there good suppliers for miniatures for the era as well? Me and a friend are really eager to field some Landsknect armies.
Osprey do En Garde! as a skirmish game of 20-ish mans a side, and The Pikeman's Lament as a version of Lion Rampant suitable for the Thirty Years War specifically. The second looks fun TBH, while the first I haven't looked at yet despite buying a couple of weeks back.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
There's also "Sharply Buffed," an expansion for Sharp Practice 2 that appeared in the TFL 2017 Christmas Special.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Also anyone who hasn’t ever gotten into the Thirty Years War, and hasn’t tried audio books from audible.com, PM me and I’ll send you a free copy of CV Wedgewood’s history, which is my absolute favorite of any time period.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Very nearly done with the Team Yankee Chieftains now. Two tank commanders to do then add some wire for the aerials.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

big_g posted:

Very nearly done with the Team Yankee Chieftains now. Two tank commanders to do then add some wire for the aerials.

Nice! What sort of wire do you use? I've tried adding aerials to my tanks once, and I used broom hairs but that didn't work out at all. They got crumpled up almost immediately, and all gradually fell of during the next couple of days.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Fish and Chimps posted:

Nice! What sort of wire do you use? I've tried adding aerials to my tanks once, and I used broom hairs but that didn't work out at all. They got crumpled up almost immediately, and all gradually fell of during the next couple of days.

I've some dental wire on order to try. It's not here yet but I'll let you know soon as I've tried it.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Zuul the Cat posted:

I think it's safe to assume that this image could exist for any nation.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Snowman_McK posted:

We’ve bought the rules for Tercio, and a bunch of 15mm minis, but haven’t tried it yet. It seems like a very interesting and streamlined game though. One of these days...

http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=7525

For 15mm, totentanz makes some looovely 30yw stuff, and in a smaller scale you can make cool pike diorama bases.

http://totentanz-miniatures.com/

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 25, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Also anyone who hasn’t ever gotten into the Thirty Years War, and hasn’t tried audio books from audible.com, PM me and I’ll send you a free copy of CV Wedgewood’s history, which is my absolute favorite of any time period.

I would, because I love goood history books, but audible doesn't seem to have a free version, and I can't afford monthly subs of any kind right now.

e: Oh, it's an Amazon thing with a free trial, PM sent

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 25, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Thanks for the answers, everybody. I'll have a poke around and see what appeals. Warlord's Landsknechts are pretty drat handsome miniatures and are pretty easy to get in Australia, but it's good to know there's options.

Dirt Worshipper posted:

That's next on my reading list. I'm working my way through Wilson's 'Europe's Tragedy' and, while it's exhaustive, it's also almost unreadable, because he has all the facts but has no idea how to turn it into something that a non-scholar can follow.

What actually got me really interested in the period is Jean Giono's 'the Battle of Pavia' which isn't a history book (Giono was a fiction writer most of the time) but is so loving well written that it really doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Did US Army units in PTO look that different from ETO