Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm completely serious about the Coroner thing. Listen to No More Color and Mental Vortex and then tell me that all the Death songs released after those two albums aren't heavily influenced.
Chuck obviously wanted to be some kind of progressive technical band rather than a Death metal band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MrBling posted:

Chuck obviously wanted to be some kind of progressive technical band rather than a Death metal band.

Well yeah that's why Control Denied happened. But implying that they were just Coroner worship in the 90s is disingenuous. Symbolic in particular is wildly different than any Coroner album.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Holy making GBS threads gently caress that was an amazing show.

So that story I always tell about the drunk Marine who tried to pick a fight with me outside a venue in 2006 (Morbid Angel/Behemoth/Krisiun show) and a huge Brazilian guy broke it up?

Yeah, it wasn't one of their crew, it was fuckin' Moyses Kolesne. Ran into him today on the way out and told him about that story, he remembered it and gave me a pick. Got a bro hug from Alex, too.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Holy making GBS threads gently caress that was an amazing show.

So that story I always tell about the drunk Marine who tried to pick a fight with me outside a venue in 2006 (Morbid Angel/Behemoth/Krisiun show) and a huge Brazilian guy broke it up?

Yeah, it wasn't one of their crew, it was fuckin' Moyses Kolesne. Ran into him today on the way out and told him about that story, he remembered it and gave me a pick. Got a bro hug from Alex, too.

That frigging rules. Thank you for your service, Moyses

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Death and Possessed are both awesome and legendary but Chuck just kept putting out classic album after classic album. There’s something about his songwriting that blows me away. His technical stuff stayed heavy and impactful and it’s just a shame he’s not still around making music. I would love to hear how he would mix influence from modern metal into his style.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The first metal I ever heard was at 8-9 when my brother played me Individual Thought Patterns, Human and Leprosy, as well as Metallica, Slayer and King Diamond. For all our differences, I will never not be mad at him because of this.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I swear we get these posts more and more lately.

Feels good, man.

I had sex with a metalhead girl a couple of years ago, and I'm pretty sure she thought I sucked in bed, but implied strongly it didn't matter because I introduced her to Bolt Thrower. #Aintevenmad

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

A human heart posted:

that's not an opinion you can have a position on man it's just true

I wasn't sure about this either until Corpsegrinder severed the knot during one of his interviews. If CC thinks Possessed started DM, it's true.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nah Seven Churches is really dated.

Maybe musically and production-wise it is dated. Plus it's more thrash than anything else, but it still remains one of the angriest most in your face albums of all time. Just look at it. Look at the song titles, lyrics and execution. They don't make them angry anymore dude

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 23, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

This is a very accurate analogy which I already linked to a bunch of Metallica/Ghost 2019 tour ticket owners I happen to know.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

emdash posted:

they fuckin rule, although tbh it's their "painkiller" cover that mostly gets stuck in my head

spiritual healing, human, individual thought patterns, symbolic and the sound of perseverance would have a word with you in private

I'm a huge fan, but I have to say Death are one of these bands that specifically appeal to guitarrists the most (I am not one).

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Mr. Pickles posted:

This is a very accurate analogy which I already linked to a bunch of Metallica/Ghost 2019 tour ticket owners I happen to know.

I don't know man, his (King Diamond) voice is just too much for me except in small doses and I say this as a big Priest fan

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Well, dissing Ghost for unoriginality is a metalhead meme at this point. You gotta diss em, even if you like em :laffo:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Smirr posted:

That frigging rules. Thank you for your service, Moyses

Krisiun are cool dudes, I spent their entire set in front of this glorious motherfucker:

He fistbumped me with the headstock of his bass.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Klaaz posted:

I don't know man, his (King Diamond) voice is just too much for me except in small doses and I say this as a big Priest fan

Takes time getting good at looking into the Eye. Once you commit, you'll see.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Me-LIS-SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Power Trip recommended these guys on their Twitter so I'm guessing you guys could be into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bIuwaDEXv4

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Malaria posted:

It's still weird to me that the guitarist on that first Possessed album is the guitarist from Primus.

even more crazy is seven churches was recorded during their spring break in high school

MrBling posted:

I'm completely serious about the Coroner thing. Listen to No More Color and Mental Vortex and then tell me that all the Death songs released after those two albums aren't heavily influenced.

i don't think this is accurate because coroner rules and later death is kinda boring

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 23, 2018

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i don't think this is accurate because coroner rules and later deathsymbolic is kinda boring

ok now I agree :P

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Krisiun are cool dudes, I spent their entire set in front of this glorious motherfucker:

He fistbumped me with the headstock of his bass.

Awesome. I just put some on for my 3.75yo and he says he likes it, so maybe I'll have someone to go to metal shows in a dozen years!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It created a style that wound up being done better a million times. I'm sure in 1985 it was loving insane but it's kind of bland to modern ears.

The riffs are still good though

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Psycho Mantits posted:

So I know it’s in the thread title but, Bolt Thrower. Why have I never listened to Bolt Thrower before today? Just finished Those Once Loyal and it’s ridiculously good.

I was once in your position, perhaps only a few weeks ago.

I now listen to Bolt Thrower every day.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

silvergoose posted:

Awesome. I just put some on for my 3.75yo and he says he likes it, so maybe I'll have someone to go to metal shows in a dozen years!

My 1.5 yo toddler loves hiphop beats and enjoys popmusic in general but extreme metal makes him sob, guess it takes some time

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

the Metal will find him, when he's ready. It came to me at the tender age of 8, when I decided that my scorpions mixtape just would not quench my thirst for mayhem and death.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 23, 2018

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Eight Is Legend posted:

Power Trip recommended these guys on their Twitter so I'm guessing you guys could be into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bIuwaDEXv4
Well, the Death album production keeps them from sounding too much like mid-'90s Unleashed

e: speaking of Unleashed, here's Nirvana covering Onward into Countless Battles where all the words have been replaced by Dave Grohl screaming the word "meat"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-UbA3Gwwqs

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 23, 2018

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Dave Grohl sure knows how to growl

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
should change his name to Dave Growl

Parachute
May 18, 2003
listened to sound of perseverance yesterday/this am and i forgot how much richard christy loves the cymbals, specifically the splash - like every single fill is with cymbals instead of drum hits and it's kind of refreshing

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dave Grohl owns and I wish he went heavy instead of whatever it is Foo Fighters is.

We got Probot which had ups and downs, and then nothing.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

silvergoose posted:

gently caress yeah, I saw a kid at the show with his dad last night.

I was also standing next to David Davidson's dad at one point at the Revocation show on Saturday.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I saw at least three preteen or younger kids with their dads at the Satan show

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Re: Chuck again, Chuck was influenced by Atheist. I interviewed Rand Burkey for a podcast I was on and he said Death lived right down the street in a house together from the Atheist house. After Atheist's first couple releases is when Death started to get noticeably more technical and proggy. Not trying to discount the Coroner comparison, I just don't know anything from them beyond Metal Vortex.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Chuck also had half of Cynic in his band and those guys went on to make the proggiest "death metal" album in the whole Florida scene five years before Chuck did.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

xzzy posted:

Dave Grohl owns and I wish he went heavy instead of whatever it is Foo Fighters is.

We got Probot which had ups and downs, and then nothing.

He did that song with Tony Iommi.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
U think Chuck & Masvidal grabbed each other's rods while on tour?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I saw at least three preteen or younger kids with their dads at the Satan show

I was at a Nile show in a seedy bar a few years ago and there was some kid there with his parents, kid was cool and into it and the parents were dressed like they were going to church and just standing there rigid as hell the whole time. The mom accidentally got too close to the pit once, it was hilarious.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
it would be cool if my son could get in to metal one day but im not gonna hold my breath because if my own adolescence is any indication, he will fight anything i try to push on him tooth and nail

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Weaponized Cum posted:

how do you think he got aids

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Parachute posted:

it would be cool if my son could get in to metal one day but im not gonna hold my breath because if my own adolescence is any indication, he will fight anything i try to push on him tooth and nail

I have an 8-year-old that was pretty heavy into Jeff Loomis's stuff (and wouldn't shut up about him), no idea how he got into that. I like Nevermore but don't listen to them much. He's moved on and listens to a bunch of RHCP now, unfortunately the newer stuff so :shrug:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm getting a niece in a month or so and trying to figure out how to save her from her Kenny Chesney-loving parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Weaponized Cum posted:

Wasn’t Chuck being gay a thing people rumored about? I don’t know if there was anything to it or if it was just 90s/00s homophobia.