Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
this is also like, the third loving time this account has done this too. so it's not an accident, they are just fuckin trash and need to go in the garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I chuckled at this tweet responding to their latest one, and then I got sad

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i'm really not sure what they expect to happen when they post literal neonazi catchphrase poo poo

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
it's not even the first time this year

quote:

Recently GOG posted a tweet with GamerGate associations before removing it and apologising. It left a taint on an otherwise fairly flawless company image. What happened?

Piotr Karwowski: It's difficult for me to comment because I actually wasn't in the office when this happened, but I don't want to dodge the question because that's not fair. I think all that happened was purely a situation where someone posted this image out of a set of images they had because they felt it was funny because Postal had a specific crude kind of humour. Then someone brought it to their attention - 'Hey look this image has some connotations...' - and it was absolute panic, 'What have I done?', and was taken down and there was the apology.

I understand it might have left a sour taste but the important thing is there was never any intention behind this. I don't want to be the person who says 'I'm ashamed GOG did this' because if someone did it out of ill intentions, on purpose - they knew what this image meant - then that's a completely different story. To me this is a really stupid mistake and that's it. We apologised for it and I think honestly that's OK.

edit: what ETPC said

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 23, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
This Twitter drama is really riveting.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

there's a gog thread. (agree their pr guy is a tone-deaf dummy. what happened to the American they had on staff who wore the dumb hat? he wouldn'a done this.)

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

CJacobs posted:

It's almost certainly accurate, FEAR is one of the best optimized games I think I've ever seen.

edit: One of the two expansions runs like absolute poo poo for me on modern hardware though for some reason, we're talking 25-ish fps no matter what I do if I look in a certain direction. Which is weird.

The FEAR expansions were done by third party studios without Monolith input. They're really bad compared to the base game. One of them does have the best Steve Blum scene ever though, in which Steve Blum watches Steve Blum tortue Steve Blum.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

One of them does have the best Steve Blum scene ever though, in which Steve Blum watches Steve Blum torture Steve Blum.
The greatest technical advancement of the PS360 era was allowing multiple Steve Blums and Nolan Norths to exist in the same place as once, presumably by way of time/space continuum manipulation that future generations will come to curse us for.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Scrub: lol doom 3 is dark!!!!
Me, an intellectual playing Project Warlock: Heh

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Yo what's up with Project Warlock getting almost pitch black when you get close to a wall? Weird fluke of the lighting engine? Also I almost want to restart because I shoulda got the slug upgrade for the pump shotgun. I can't remember that last shooter I played with slug ammo.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

DatonKallandor posted:

The FEAR expansions were done by third party studios without Monolith input. They're really bad compared to the base game. One of them does have the best Steve Blum scene ever though, in which Steve Blum watches Steve Blum tortue Steve Blum.

I never finished either but the second one looked particularly bad too. Like it makes you realize just how effective Monolith was at using their dynamic lights and stuff for the environments because everything looks trash without it.

FEAR still has the best office spaces in gaming.

Amebx fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 23, 2018

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yo what's up with Project Warlock getting almost pitch black when you get close to a wall? Weird fluke of the lighting engine? Also I almost want to restart because I shoulda got the slug upgrade for the pump shotgun. I can't remember that last shooter I played with slug ammo.

There's a setting in the options menu called threshold. Turn it all the way down and voila you can see.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I liked when the pizza twitter jumped in on the domestic violence hashtag more than this GOG thing.

Also Project Warlock is cool, but I am hoping they work on some of the visuals... Make it a bit more presentable. Some of the Egypt levels are impossible to see what the gently caress is going on without cranking the brightness.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah the egypt episode is where I got fed up with the dark levels and just turned the 'Threshold' option down to 0 to unclamp the colors and cranked the brightness all the way up. Without doing that the magic orb light spell is pretty much necessary whenever you aren't shooting.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Kins posted:

The greatest technical advancement of the PS360 era was allowing multiple Steve Blums and Nolan Norths to exist in the same place as once, presumably by way of time/space continuum manipulation that future generations will come to curse us for.

Obligatory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRkT9JxdnE

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

GUI posted:

Scrub: lol doom 3 is dark!!!!
Me, an intellectual playing Project Warlock: Heh

:stonk:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I spent an hour playing it and it gets better in later levels but the lighting mixed with the art style makes it hard to play.

I like using the axe on the zombies, though. It reminds me of Splatterhouse.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Gobblecoque posted:

There's a setting in the options menu called threshold. Turn it all the way down and voila you can see.

:mad: Why is this even an option?? Who wrote this dang engine!!!

Double barrel shotgun feels good tho.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.twitter.com/1C_Company/status/1054744234941693953

Unannounced Quake engine game? :boom:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Build Engine. Steam version's been around for quite a while.

EDIT: No idea about the "other unannounced title" though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Beaten on Build engine thing but it's real good and coming to PS4 is great.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I think he's well aware Ion Maiden is Build Engine. His comment's more some random conjecture as to what that other, unannounced title that the tweet hints at is.

Also, Ion Maiden on consoles is rad. I wasn't certain if the Build Engine license would allow for a console port, though? Admittedly open source licenses are a major headache for me in general, I can never keep what is or isn't legal straight with them.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Shadow Hog posted:

I think he's well aware Ion Maiden is Build Engine. His comment's more some random conjecture as to what that other, unannounced title that the tweet hints at is.

Also, Ion Maiden on consoles is rad. I wasn't certain if the Build Engine license would allow for a console port, though? Admittedly open source licenses are a major headache for me in general, I can never keep what is or isn't legal straight with them.

Ion Maiden on consoles is cool, although of course I'll be playing it on PC.

Is this thread the right place to talk about Dead Space? It's 10 years old now, but not an FPS....

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Actually shooting stuff in Warlock is so good, but it's another case where a really good retro shooter has some kind of bewildering design decision. Usually it's stuff like the red scrolls in Immortal Redneck or some other kind of bad RNG-based system. The dark levels in Warlock just have a bad pacing to them. Besides that, the only other complaint I have for the game is the framerate cap. It's hard to describe, but the game feels like it was made for a higher framerate than it will let you play at.

Also is there a way to see how many secrets are remaining in a level while still playing it? I keep swearing that I have all of them after checking, but keep finding out I missed like 3 or 4.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shadow Hog posted:

Whichever entity originally owned and provided the Build engine to the community under an open source license retains the right to provide it to someone else under a different license. It would just have to be the original Build engine without any of the work contributed to the open source project.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm more hyped for Ion Maiden than Metro Exodus and RE2 Remake, which are all coming out around the same time. Next year's gonna be real good for games.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

Ken Silverman still owns the rights to BUILD, and eDuke32 apparently has a small enough contributor-base that commercial licensing is possible. It probably helps that Ion Maiden removes some stuff that isn't relevant to that game, like the Polymer renderer.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Ion Maiden's demo thing was so good, and I'm hoping that's just what we get more of. I'm really tired of retro-style games where it feels like someone goes "Man, nobody is just gonna have fun shooting all these cool enemies with our fun guns in our well-made levels. We should add in permadeath, randomized bad drops, and oh a melee weapon that you can upgrade and force the player to use by making the guns get like no ammo."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean, DUSK is supposedly coming out very soon, so play that?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Amid Evil also has 5 of it's 7 episodes out now.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Sorry, I'm wrong, that wasn't "random conjecture as to what that other, unannounced title that the tweet hints at is". Apparently the PR email makes the fact it's a Quake engine game very much explicit.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Shadow Hog posted:

Sorry, I'm wrong, that wasn't "random conjecture as to what that other, unannounced title that the tweet hints at is". Apparently the PR email makes the fact it's a Quake engine game very much explicit.

Hendricks confirmed it's using DarkPlaces.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Mordja posted:

I mean, DUSK is supposedly coming out very soon, so play that?

Yeah, I mean there are a bunch of proper ones coming out, but it's become a noticeable trend.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Weird they would use DarkPlaces when it hasen't been updated since 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Why would the licensing the Build engine be any different for consoles as opposed to PCs?

Uncle Kitchener posted:

it's using DarkPlaces.

:psyduck:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

Why would the licensing the Build engine be any different for consoles as opposed to PCs?

In the past it was common for console licensing of engines to have much different terms, because it was expected only big publishers would get console development access/games could be expected to have a minimum number of license royalty incurring sales happen/etc. I don't think the current ownership uses those same rules anymore.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

ETPC posted:

Daily autobuilds of DP are still going, although with the absence of available changelogs as far as I know (unless you actually start digging into their SVN repository) I dunno what if anything has been changing.

Still, I'm not too surprised that a new-game project would use DarkPlaces. DarkPlaces isn't the greatest choice for "normal" Quake but it has a ton of added engine features and hooks for implementing new stuff in QuakeC. If they had stuck with the original Quake source or a more "faithful" port like Quakespasm they would have more of an uphill battle to make anything that diverged a lot from Quake. (FTE would have been another possible engine choice.)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

For closed source, I couldn't tell you. For open source, I'm pretty sure the console manufacturers would not be happy with the interfaces for their proprietary APIs being made visible to the public - or something to that effect - so you wouldn't be able to easily comply with GPL. I recall a few games have run into this problem - or at least Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings did when it included a SCUMMVM-emulated version of Fate of Atlantis in it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ETPC posted:

Mak0rz posted:

Console SDKs are generally incompatible with the GPL for reasons that should be fairly obvious. eDuke32 had a small enough contributor base that negotiating a non-open commercial relicense for the consoles (and cutting out stuff that couldn't be negotiated or wasn't necessary for consoles) was plausible. DarkPlaces is probably in a similar boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7IITZDBvqE

it's running on GZDoom :stare: