Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone here replaced their wiper blades and has Eyesight?

I bought some Bosch Icons and installed them on my 2016 Forester thinking nothing of it, but then I googled and came across two things:

1) Apparently if you're within the 36k miles, wiper replacements are free?

2) Subaru recommends only using OEM wipers because otherwise Eyesight could gently caress up.

#1 I've never heard of before because it's a wear and tear item and I've never seen a manufacturer do that.

#2 just sounds like CYA stuff to me-I would imagine as long as the wiper blade is the same length as OEM, it's not going to matter what blade I put on there.

I also have the winter package, so there's a heater on the bottom of the windshield to deice the blades, but I don't think that cares what blades I have on it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Subaru has a handful of talking points related to eyesight functionality and wiper blades is one of them. When you buy new they also really, really want you to buy the protective windshield coating and will suggest eyesight goes apeshit without it as the glass ages. Also according to them you shouldn't put any stickers on the glass or mount a toll pass anywhere near the camera cluster. It's all CYA.

I think wiper blades are treated as a loss leader these days, my Toyota dealer will swap blades for free after buying one set from them. Next time I have our Crosstrek in for maintenance I'll ask about it, free blades are cool.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nwin posted:

Anyone here replaced their wiper blades and has Eyesight?

I bought some Bosch Icons and installed them on my 2016 Forester thinking nothing of it, but then I googled and came across two things:

1) Apparently if you're within the 36k miles, wiper replacements are free?

2) Subaru recommends only using OEM wipers because otherwise Eyesight could gently caress up.

#1 I've never heard of before because it's a wear and tear item and I've never seen a manufacturer do that.

#2 just sounds like CYA stuff to me-I would imagine as long as the wiper blade is the same length as OEM, it's not going to matter what blade I put on there.

I also have the winter package, so there's a heater on the bottom of the windshield to deice the blades, but I don't think that cares what blades I have on it either.

HAHAHAHAHA LOLNO. Eyesight wont give a poo poo about the blades, only if the windshield is clear enough to work. Those replacement blades you get from the auto store usually come from the same OEM factory anyway.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Okay which one of you is this. Fess up.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

Okay which one of you is this. Fess up.

Man I wish. All this old tacky 90s cheesecake is coming back and I'm not sure I can pull off having it "ironically".

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
Anyone know if there are replacement channel covers for the roof of a 17 WRX? I apparently have the mounting holes for the roof rack on mine, but the plastic channel cover does not have access to them. I tried looking through genuine subaru parts, but nothing comes up.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Wasabi the J posted:

Man I wish. All this old tacky 90s cheesecake is coming back and I'm not sure I can pull off having it "ironically".

Could always go for the terrible pun instead. Behold.... a Subaru Troutback.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Could always go for the terrible pun instead. Behold.... a Subaru Troutback.

I'd rather have sexy ladies' butts on my car. At least I won't have to explain a dad joke to everyone I meet.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

EightBit posted:

I'd rather have sexy ladies' butts on my car. At least I won't have to explain a dad joke to everyone I meet.

Have to explain?

My good man, you get that wrap for the privilege to explain...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Have to explain?

My good man, you get that wrap for the privilege to explain...

Seriously. Someone doesn't "get" dad jokes.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

stgdz posted:

Is it easier to pull transmissions or engines in subsets?

Trannys have always been easier on most vehicles but looking at some guides on subarus, .......

Non turbo it's the engine. Turbo depends on if you have a lift or not. I'd probably still do engine though.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
As noted in another thread, I need a rear diff yoke for an '02 Forester propshaft. Can any of you hoarders hook me up?

Risky
May 18, 2003

Considering buying a 2019 WRX base model soon but been doing research last few months and worried I might be buying a money pit. Been seeing a ton of issues with throw-out bearing, carbon build-up on valves and overconsumption of oil. Been seeing a couple of posts stating they had to get rebuilds at 30k miles. Is there truth to this or is this on the older ones? Have any issues been fixed with 2019 on?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I bought my WRX in May of 2014. I haven't had any critical issues. For the dirty intakes just install an air oil separator.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I’ve had my 16 for close to 3 years now, just hit 60K. It’s been modified since 12K, I’ve had 0 problems with it. Did a walnut blast around 40K and had an AOS added, along with deleting the EGR. Like any DI motor, carbon build up will be an issue but you can atleast be proactive if you plan on keeping it for a while. Rods are also a weak point, but as far as I know, they’re fine if you’re making stock power.

The battery is also absolute garbage, it’s apparently common for it to die within a few years. Mine did at just 2.

Other than that, you’ll get the standard Subaru rattles and janky infotainment system (though I think the 19s are different now?)

Personally, I’d wait to see what the 2020 model looks like. The FA era WRX is pretty bad in stock form, the power delivery is awful and inconsistent. It’s much better once modified, but that means voiding your warranty.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MY2020 is likely to be more of the same. It won't be until MY2021 that we may see some changes.

Risky
May 18, 2003

um excuse me posted:

I bought my WRX in May of 2014. I haven't had any critical issues. For the dirty intakes just install an air oil separator.

I'm wondering if installing an AOS will void the warranty though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Well you can't "void" a warranty. That's not how the law works. You submit a warranty claim and they can decline it. But the dealership has to prove the aftermarket parts had something to do with the failure of the components you are trying to replace under warranty. They'd never be able to claim an AOS messed something up. Some dealers will be dicks about it, but then some dealers like the one I go to actually support aftermarket stuff like Accessport. Mine will honor warranty claims on anything you let them install, as well.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 19, 2018

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I have a '17 WRX with an AOS and have taken it in a few times for random things and never had a complaint from any dealer. It's the only mod on it so as others said ymmv.

As I'm getting close to the end of the warranty I'm wondering whether to keep the car or switch to a Corvette but I'm wondering if I'd miss the convenience of a back seat and decent trunk.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You could have something like an AOS line come loose, or the can itself crack, cause a leak between the maf and the turbo, which would make the car run lean and could melt a piston or break a rod. If that specific thing happened, then yes a dealer could rightfully claim that the AOS caused the failure. But those lines are all between 0psi and a slight vacuum so it's pretty unlikely for that to happen.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I just got a 2019 Outback and the adaptive cruise control is going to make me the most stereotypical slow Subaru driver on long road trips.

Is there anything I should know or watch out for with this car? Most of my use will be longer drives rather than commutes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do what we do, set the follow distance to the shortest distance and when the car beeps at you that something is in front of you change lanes to pass.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Oh, question about my one annoyance so far. I normally listen to music off of a USB drive. Never radio. Whenever I start up the car, and when I shut it off (but before I open a door), it defaults the audio back to the radio, be it FM or Sirius. I have the USB set to auto play in the settings, but it seems to take a minute to kick in.

Is there any way to disable that entirely, so that I won't hear any radio at all?

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

The Rat posted:

Oh, question about my one annoyance so far. I normally listen to music off of a USB drive. Never radio. Whenever I start up the car, and when I shut it off (but before I open a door), it defaults the audio back to the radio, be it FM or Sirius. I have the USB set to auto play in the settings, but it seems to take a minute to kick in.

Is there any way to disable that entirely, so that I won't hear any radio at all?

Apparently not! Tune to SiriusXM station 0 for a station playing nothing. Whenever it defaults to radio, it'll effectively be muted.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

That at least will work. Thanks!

Risky
May 18, 2003

dk2m posted:

I’ve had my 16 for close to 3 years now, just hit 60K. It’s been modified since 12K, I’ve had 0 problems with it. Did a walnut blast around 40K and had an AOS added, along with deleting the EGR. Like any DI motor, carbon build up will be an issue but you can atleast be proactive if you plan on keeping it for a while. Rods are also a weak point, but as far as I know, they’re fine if you’re making stock power.

The battery is also absolute garbage, it’s apparently common for it to die within a few years. Mine did at just 2.

Other than that, you’ll get the standard Subaru rattles and janky infotainment system (though I think the 19s are different now?)

Personally, I’d wait to see what the 2020 model looks like. The FA era WRX is pretty bad in stock form, the power delivery is awful and inconsistent. It’s much better once modified, but that means voiding your warranty.

Do the 2019 BRZ/86 suffer the same issues?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The BRZ won't suffer carbon buildup because it is port injected along with direct injected.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

net work error posted:

I have a '17 WRX with an AOS and have taken it in a few times for random things and never had a complaint from any dealer. It's the only mod on it so as others said ymmv.

As I'm getting close to the end of the warranty I'm wondering whether to keep the car or switch to a Corvette but I'm wondering if I'd miss the convenience of a back seat and decent trunk.

I bought a C7 as a second car to compliment my Forester and it was a great decision. I drive it almost every day from April to November.

Can’t fit my bike in the back or haul 8ft lumber like I do with my Forester. Its pretty rare that I need to do that so the Corvette is fine.

It wouldn’t work for me as my only car since I do occasionally need the utility of the Forester but otherwise the C7 is an amazing car for the money.

Risky
May 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The BRZ won't suffer carbon buildup because it is port injected along with direct injected.

I guess i'll just buy an 86/BRZ then, thanks!

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
I am having an issue with my 17 wrx during colder mornings. It shutters hard shifting from 1st to 2nd. Once it is warmed up it is good for the day. It started a few months ago but I don't recall it happening ever. What could be causing it and should I take it directly to the dealership? I am on stage 2, but I know that shouldn't make a difference.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

aluminumonkey posted:

I am having an issue with my 17 wrx during colder mornings. It shutters hard shifting from 1st to 2nd. Once it is warmed up it is good for the day. It started a few months ago but I don't recall it happening ever. What could be causing it and should I take it directly to the dealership? I am on stage 2, but I know that shouldn't make a difference.

Is it a custom tune by any chance? I had similar issues. It turned out my tuner just needed to change the warm up cycle and it was gone.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

um excuse me posted:

Is it a custom tune by any chance? I had similar issues. It turned out my tuner just needed to change the warm up cycle and it was gone.

It's a Bren tune. I didn't have it last year. Started around this past March/April.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'd send them an email about it, they might have some things they'd like you to log and send over.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
Backup lights are on all the time.

I ordered a new switch for my manual transmission but where the heck is it located on the transmission.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

stgdz posted:

Backup lights are on all the time.

I ordered a new switch for my manual transmission but where the heck is it located on the transmission.

oh man I was having this problem in my 09 but just driving for a while ultimately made it go away until I hit a bump or drove on dirt/grass in which case it happened again. I think you have to drop the transmission to get it, it looked like a gigantic pain in the rear end.

(from NASIOC, so don't trust it)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

On a 5 speed it's sticking out of the side and lower down and should be easier to reach.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 23, 2018

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

jamal posted:

On a 5 speed it's sticking out of the side and lower down and should be easier to reach.

What side?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

stgdz posted:

What side?
The side with the thing sticking out.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

Naked Bear posted:

The side with the thing sticking out.

Granted that is the correct answer but I don't notice the starter hole in the bell housing. So I'm guessing it's the drivers side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My side skirt looked a little loose, one of the mounting points seems to have broken. I don't want to buy a whole new side skirt. Can I epoxy this or something?