Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

physeter posted:

Another best Viking dad story. My uncle was an Irish jarl, and kind of a pain. Not ambitious, but somehow always factionalizing and never happy. I eventually get fed up. I make someone else King of Ireland and marry my eldest daughter to him, trying to bury my uncle under someone else's vassalage. NOPE, here he comes with a revolt war. I can't loving get rid of this guy. And then he goes too far.

He captures my oldest daughter and makes her his concubine. What.

So of course I assassinate him, get discovered and get the kinslayer trait. Fine, don't care, I got my daughter back. But the uncle had six living kids, all impressive stats. And they all become my rivals. The next decade is a series of assassination plots directed at Best Viking Dad by these pissed off kids. And at the end of it all, they are all dead by duel, oubliette or human sacrifice. One blot was even a two-fer with a brother-sister sacrifice. I wiped out my uncle's entire family line, every last one, because my daughter was turned into a hooker for awhile.

I have many of these 'we stabbed our way into this situation, and we're going to stab our way out of it' bloodbaths. I also usually feel strangely liberated once I gently caress up and get Kinslayer, because once you've got the label, you may as well live the label.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I only use stabbing as a last resort, like when someone betrays or some piece of poo poo has the goddamn nerve to try to usurp me while I'm in the middle of a war. I always ransom prisoners and if I can't ransom then they I put them on house arrest or even release them. It's not too difficult to control angry vassals, might take some bribes or even giving them a seat on the council so they can't join factions. I guess I'm a bit of a softy because I really try to avoid killing people unnecessarily. I've never even tortured someone.

That being said I still manage to get rich as hell and own a buncha land, sometimes it's just a matter of being aware of what your options are and waiting for opportunities to come up. I was sitting on a weak claim on the HRE empire for 20 years and then suddenly the emperor died, leaving a 4 year old in charge with a regent (which meant that I could press the weak claim) right after spending a bunch of money and troops on putting down a rebellion, and it was good timing for me because I'd just recently inherited the Kingdom of Italy (which I did by waiting for my aunt to die naturally rather than killing her.) I had enough money to hire mercenaries but since the HRE was already so beaten down it wasn't even necessary. So now I'm a Jewish but secretly Shia HRE, and the only blood spilled was troops. All my vassals have positive opinions of me (had to create some kingdoms and hand out some titles) and I ransomed/released everyone who I captured during the war.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Also worth noting that I've only ever gotten through one entire game from 769, every other game has ended long before 1453 so maybe my strategy isn't the best. I'm optimistic about this one since I did a later start date and things seem peachy for now but who knows what will happen when I convert the HRE to Islam :unsmigghh:

baw fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 22, 2018

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I've never even finished an entire play through, because I find the early to mid game to be more fun and engaging.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

baw posted:

Also worth noting that I've only ever gotten through one entire game from 769, every other game has ended long before 1453 so maybe my strategy isn't the best. I'm optimistic about this one since I did a later start date and things seem peachy for now but who knows what will happen when I convert the HRE to Islam :unsmigghh:

1430 hours played without ever seeing the end date here, I believe. I like scratching my way up to form a big empire more than managing one I guess. I should probably learn to be more willing to completely blow things up intentionally.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is Holy Fury really going to be the last DLC for CK2?

Part of me kinda hopes so, that I may finally be free of the perpetual cycle of "Ok, the new update is out, let's play it! OH new Dev Journal? Whoa the next DLC is gonna be awesome.... let's wait for that."

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is Holy Fury really going to be the last DLC for CK2?

:iiam: My gut says they'd announce it was the last one ahead of time/earlier in the dev cycle, but...???

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

:iiam: My gut says they'd announce it was the last one ahead of time/earlier in the dev cycle, but...???

Yeah, they stated in a dev diary several expansions ago that they have [X] expansions planned before stopping development of new content for CK2. (And Holy Fury is that expansion number)
But as you said, I feel that they'd announce it as the last one and give it a more fanfare/hype-buildup in the lead-up to release, if it was genuinely the last expansion. So I dunno, maybe since that post they have thought of another idea for an expansion, before they throw in the towel? :shrug:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Alright friends, we're diving into a Norse game tonight. We'll see how it goes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Meridian posted:

Alright friends, we're diving into a Norse game tonight. We'll see how it goes.

Burn down Rome.

Repeatedly.

For several centuries.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Burn down Rome.

Repeatedly.

For several centuries.

Don't forget Venice, may as well make a stop there if you're in the area.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Palemdromes posted:

Don't forget Venice, may as well make a stop there if you're in the area.

I usually stop by Constantinople, too.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I clearly need to start stabbing everyone early. Absolutely garbage vassals and wife. I have just the thing for that.

Also, since I am going with Sigurd Ring, I assume I want King of Sweden as the ambition? Groom an Heir with Family focus is usually what I do as a good Catholic should, however, the idea of conquering the poo poo out of everything and assassinating any of Ragnarr's potential siblings so he can inherit the whole blob sounds hilarious.

Theotus fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 23, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

I usually stop by Constantinople, too.

That's a bit ballsy

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Meridian posted:

I clearly need to start stabbing everyone early. Absolutely garbage vassals and wife. I have just the thing for that.

Also, since I am going with Sigurd Ring, I assume I want King of Sweden as the ambition? Groom an Heir with Family focus is usually what I do as a good Catholic should, however, the idea of conquering the poo poo out of everything and assassinating any of Ragnarr's potential siblings so he can inherit the whole blob sounds hilarious.

concubines are just another word for family focus and I'm pretty sure that groom your heir doesn't expire 'til eighteen or twenty, plenty of time to bring many tribes into the Svíþjóð co-prosperity sphere with the king ambition.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

jfood posted:

concubines are just another word for family focus and I'm pretty sure that groom your heir doesn't expire 'til eighteen or twenty, plenty of time to bring many tribes into the Svíþjóð co-prosperity sphere with the king ambition.

Alright this is vastly different than I am used to. I want to take my vassal's poo poo, but that doesn't seem like it will end well. I should probably move down to at least a duke because I have no idea how to manage vassals. Even with subjugation it seems like I can only declare war on one county before that CB stops being useful. At that point are you just supposed to raid your neighbors a lot until you can pay to form the Kingdom?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

The ambition to become king should let you subjugate anyone within your de jure kingdom. And yes, raiding is a big part of being a viking. Don't forget that you can raid in any coastal province if you park your ships next to it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Meridian posted:

Alright this is vastly different than I am used to. I want to take my vassal's poo poo, but that doesn't seem like it will end well. I should probably move down to at least a duke because I have no idea how to manage vassals. Even with subjugation it seems like I can only declare war on one county before that CB stops being useful. At that point are you just supposed to raid your neighbors a lot until you can pay to form the Kingdom?

Managing vassals only becomes a real pain if you're huge. Starting as a Viking your vassals are mostly pretty independent; you don't raise their levies like you're used to but instead ask them to come fight with you. They usually say yes but can refuse. Subjugation works on anybody pagan near you but it's mostly single county counts at that point. It targets a character not a county so you can subjugate kings if you have enough dudes to win the fight. It's a huge thunder dome that starts making GBS threads out dukedoms with the occasional kingdom. Then gavelkind hapens.

You're supposed to be raiding whenever you aren't fighting, basically. If your levies are really depleted sit quiet for a while but drat it, you're a Viking! Go burn some fucker's house down! The best targets nearby are people that have temples. Tribes don't give much but temples do. You'll take a moral authority hit but don't worry about that until you get to boats as you probably won't be reforming any time soon anyway. By that time it'll have worn off.

Like was said you can subjugate to your heart's content if you are following the be a king ambition. Normally you can only subjugate a neighbor once in a lifetime if you're a pagan but that ambition lets you gently caress up absolutely anybody as often as you want within that kingdom. Getting the gold as a tribal early on can be a bit of a pain but, eh, it'll happen. Pagan tribal lands are extremely violent in the early game before people start reforming and settling. It won't take long before the game announces that the Viking age has started and you get a free boat tech in all of your territories. Having one point there before that happens in your capital helps immensely. Ireland is a good early target as you can melt the tribal holdings easily then burn down temples for the good gold.

Don't worry too much about taking vassal stuff. You won't get much out of it.

Viking play early on is also opportunistic as hell. Also note that you can conquer any coastal province you want. Same with individual neighbor counties, too, though those only target counties. Subjugate targets a person.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Burn down Rome.

Repeatedly.

For several centuries.

I'm sure it'll get patched at some point, but speaking of Viking raids and bringing money back.

If you have a stack of boats that is splitable, wait for them to fill up with gold. You can then split all but one boat off, and leave the majority of them there. Your one boat you can return to your land, and it will say something like 1000/100 gold. You then drop it off, and bring it back to merge with the rest of your boat stack that is busy collecting more gold from Venice or wherever.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

binge crotching posted:

I'm sure it'll get patched at some point, but speaking of Viking raids and bringing money back.

If you have a stack of boats that is splitable, wait for them to fill up with gold. You can then split all but one boat off, and leave the majority of them there. Your one boat you can return to your land, and it will say something like 1000/100 gold. You then drop it off, and bring it back to merge with the rest of your boat stack that is busy collecting more gold from Venice or wherever.

There's like a five minute video Arumba put out where he show's doing that and it's crazy. I'll try to find it after the MTG match.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I've decided to make Ireland the shittiest hole in the world by landing all 10 of my sons the moment they were born, I can't wait to die

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I really wish more people would stream or youtube this game. It's so cool.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Various Meat Products posted:

The ambition to become king should let you subjugate anyone within your de jure kingdom. And yes, raiding is a big part of being a viking. Don't forget that you can raid in any coastal province if you park your ships next to it.

*Anyone who controls land within your de jure kingdom. I haven't played the Sigurdr Ring start in a while, but IIRC if Sjaeland expands slightly into Vestergautland, that'll give you a free CB on most of Denmark.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 23, 2018

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

darthbob88 posted:

*Anyone who controls land within your de jure kingdom. I haven't played the Sigurdr Ring start in a while, but IIRC if Sjaeland expands slightly into Vestergautland, that'll give you a free CB on most of Denmark.

part of norway as well, right next to the counties Ragnarr will eventually get a claim on from his mother. all you really have to do is wait for sjaeland to over-extend in a war and you can snatch up most of scandinavia

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Meridian posted:

Alright this is vastly different than I am used to. I want to take my vassal's poo poo, but that doesn't seem like it will end well. I should probably move down to at least a duke because I have no idea how to manage vassals.

nah, as an unreformed pagan locked into gavelkind it's handy to be a king. this means that instead of all your duchies being split on the death of your current ruler, your heir will become king and keep all your other sons as vassals. eventually you'll want to move to co-ducal sibling conquest as gavelkind management once you are more confident with when and how to fight wars. but for now, having one king level title is the safe, clumsy way to do gavelkind

vassals are easy, just make sure they dont get too strong. generally you want to hold all the counties within two duchies ideally - more than two ducal titles and you take a -10 hit to opinion for every one over the limit. you want each of your dukes to hold one ducal title, and one county in that duchy, with their own vassals to keep them busy. you will never reach this state of ideal land distribution but it's a goal to shoot for. rule of thumb - you have all the land in a pair of duchies, each of your dukes is hobbled dealing with their own pissy count level vassals. it is better to have one whole duchy for yourself than halves of two duchies

try to avoid landing anyone with good stats or who is ambitious. content people make great vassals. when you're voting on new laws, get the ability to revoke titles before you go for demense limit increases, being able to revoke a dude is super useful especially if you can provoke him into rebelling or acting traitorously. once your king is older and on death's door you can also go on a revocation spree because who cares if you're a greedy tyrant at age 73

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

luxury handset posted:

once your king is older and on death's door you can also go on a revocation spree because who cares if you're a greedy tyrant at age 73

Your heir, who inherits part of your malus until your vassals have figured out whether you're a chip off the old block or not. Sigismund the Glorious is still going to have a hard time if his father was Harald the oval office.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I just started playing again after like 2 years away. I'm figuring out most of the new mechanics alright, but it's still frustrating.

I'm a Byzantine Count (started as Duke) and need some advice. When my starting character died, my heir inherited my Counties but not the Duchy of Trebizond. I assume this is because the Byzantine Empire has the law where Duchies automatically go to the Emperor when the bearer dies. Unfortunately, the Empress at the time gave my title to some random guy who held no territory in the duchy.

I don't have a strong claim on the title so I can't usurp. I didn't have a CB option to press my weak claim on the Duke. I did fight a war for independence from him (and won), so now the Empress is my direct liege. But I still don't see a path to reclaiming the title.

My main questions are:

1. Why didn't I get a strong claim on the Duchy of Trebizond when my heir assumed control?
2. What can I do to reclaim the title? Should I wait until I can press my weak claim on the Duchy? When the current holder dies, won't the Empress just inherit the title again and give it to someone else?
3. What would it take to change the law allowing Duchy Viceroyalties? I think it says Legalism 4; I assume that applies to the Empire's tech level and not my own realm's.
4. Would it just be simpler to become Emperor myself? My current ruler does have a claim on the throne, but I'm pretty far from equaling the Empress in levies, even accounting for a faction I made to install my ruler.

Thanks.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

1. Your heir is supposed to receive a strong claim. :shrug:
2. If the Emperor doesn't want to give it to you, not much that doesn't involve killing everyone.
3. If you have Conclave, you can force a vote to change a law if you're on the council, and your liege owes you a favor. Not sure what you can do without it.
4. It could be. I'd probably expand outside the empire until I could challenge the Emperor.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Did event 55000 (province culture conversion) get removed?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If it’s a viceroyalty (which I’m assuming it was given it went back to the emperor) you never actually owned it so your heir doesn’t get a claim on it. You can, however, try to Fabricate claims on the current holder by having your chancellor on their capital. Depending on their skill there’s a chance of getting a claim on the duchy rather than just the county. Although I’m not sure if this will work if they don’t have any de jure territory in the duchy itself or have another duchy as their primary title.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Meridian posted:

For the longest time it was just me and one other guy and he'd raid me after the stream with his 100 something viewers. It's not a really popular game to stream and HOI4 does much better.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Viceroyalties can be super frustrating. Which is why one of my first goals as a character in the Byzantine Empire is to get a normal, feudal duchy. Conquer land in Italy, the Balkans, Armenia or around the Black Sea.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Viceroyalties can be super frustrating. Which is why one of my first goals as a character in the Byzantine Empire is to get a normal, feudal duchy. Conquer land in Italy, the Balkans, Armenia or around the Black Sea.

Oh so the Viceroyalty only applies to De Jure duchies? That simplifies things.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Disillusionist posted:

Specifically, it's any duchy that the emperor holds they can hand out as a viceroyalty. So if you conquer some new land, make sure to immediately create the duchy title before the emperor can.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you are a strategos and you hold a theme title, then it's a viceroyalty. You gotta make yourself a doux or a despot if you want to slowly crawl up the ladder without just seizing the entire empire for yourself.

You can make a plot in the intrigue screen to fabricate a claim on your liege's title, and you can form a faction to support your claim against your liege. I think that's how you have to do it if you're up against viceroyalties. You can also press a weak claim if the holder is a woman, incapacitated, or in a regency, so keep plotting assassinations and the viceroyalty will be held by one of those eventually.

Also just suck up to the emperor and he'll maybe just grant you the titles on his own.

Disillusionist posted:

It applies to titles that the emperor has formed and given out as viceroyalties, so if you form the title yourself, you're good. The real master play is gobbling up other vassals until you can just declare yourself despot of Greece.

The de jure kingdom of Trebizond is also tiny, so that's a fast way to become a despot.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you are a strategos and you hold a theme title, then it's a viceroyalty. You gotta make yourself a doux or a despot if you want to slowly crawl up the ladder without just seizing the entire empire for yourself.

You can make a plot in the intrigue screen to fabricate a claim on your liege's title, and you can form a faction to support your claim against your liege. I think that's how you have to do it if you're up against viceroyalties. You can also press a weak claim if the holder is a woman, incapacitated, or in a regency, so keep plotting assassinations and the viceroyalty will be held by one of those eventually.

Also just suck up to the emperor and he'll maybe just grant you the titles on his own.

It applies to titles that the emperor has formed and given out as viceroyalties, so if you form the title yourself, you're good. The real master play is gobbling up other vassals until you can just declare yourself despot of Greece.

The de jure kingdom of Trebizond is also tiny, so that's a fast way to become a despot.

I started in Trebizond, and my goal was to create the Kingdom but I'm hampered by the fact that I lost the duchy. It sounds like even if I regain the Theme of Trebizond, it'll just revert to the Emperor on my death (since the duchy was already created when the game started). So the only way to become King/Despot would be to acquire both Themes simultaneously, then create the Kingdom. Does that sound right?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nah, you can conquer the counties and form the kingdom even if you don't have the themes, it's just going to be an uphill battle if you don't have a duke level title to deal with demesne limits.

I think you can also fabricate claims on viceroyalties or play the genetics game to get claims, and then fight a war against whoever the emperor granted the title to.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SlothfulCobra posted:

Nah, you can conquer the counties and form the kingdom even if you don't have the themes, it's just going to be an uphill battle if you don't have a duke level title to deal with demesne limits.

I think you can also fabricate claims on viceroyalties or play the genetics game to get claims, and then fight a war against whoever the emperor granted the title to.

You need two duchies to create a kingdom, so there's more than just conquering the counties.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
why doesn't the Byzantine Emperor make that law that disallows wars between vassals?

also, what's the deal with abolishing the council? I haven't done it because I'm afraid of pissing off...well, everyone, but I have enough loyalists and favors to call in that I could make it happen within the decade. does it have any worthwhile benefits other than not having to deal with assholes?

e: also playing an attractive female ruler is hilarious, dudes are so thirsty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Meridian posted:

It'll get a few more streams once Holy Fury is out.
At the very least, Arumba usually gets a game going once there's new content to check out.

• Locked thread