Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
heroku seems like a good bet although idk i've never used it myself but i hear good things

https://eev.ee/blog/2012/07/28/quick-doesnt-mean-dirty/

this may or may not be a good article to get you started writing a python web thing and then deploying it to heroku

edit: use python 3 though, that blog is from like six years ago and if you use python 2 today everybody will yell at u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I need to be using 3.7 anyway

and thanks I appreciate it

now this isnt really the programming thread is it. this is a thread about programming languages. a meta programming thread.. YOSPOS bitch

I think I should move my ramblings to the other thread. im probably going to be constantly making GBS threads up whichever thread I end up in with my stupid fuckin questions so I should at least choose the right one to gently caress up

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
not far into that page you linked to but I really do appreciate its "ill just call it 'shitface' because none of this really matters" attitude

all tech writing should constantly remind the reader that nothing we are ever doing on the internet is ever important. its good

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eevee has plenty of well written stuff. my favourite is i think the one where they chew through the what's the learn python the hard way guy

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cinci zoo sniper posted:

eevee has plenty of well written stuff. my favourite is i think the one where they chew through the what's the learn python the hard way guy

is that better than php: a fractal of bad design?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

echinopsis posted:

yeah I need to be using 3.7 anyway

and thanks I appreciate it

now this isnt really the programming thread is it. this is a thread about programming languages. a meta programming thread.. YOSPOS bitch

I think I should move my ramblings to the other thread. im probably going to be constantly making GBS threads up whichever thread I end up in with my stupid fuckin questions so I should at least choose the right one to gently caress up

you want the terrible programming thread

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

don’t be fooled by the name tho, there isn’t another sort of programming

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

is that better than php: a fractal of bad design?

i have less strong opinions about php than about python (i think the only fact i remember off my head about php, other than "everything is bad", is the wrong associativity stuff with ternary operators) so hard to say

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

quote:

trying to figure out why my changes didn’t take effect when I only typed them in the blog post and not the actual code

Nice.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://eev.ee/blog/2016/11/23/a-rebuttal-for-python-3/?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

agreed. this thread is primarily for people rehashing the same discussions of build systems, and for talking past each other while nitpicking over PL minutiae and definitions

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

redleader posted:

agreed. this thread is primarily for people rehashing the same discussions of build systems, and for talking past each other while nitpicking over PL minutiae and definitions

also for occasional glimmers of self-awareness, probably more than on other venues devoted to PL arguments

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

bob dobbs is dead posted:

after gettin bought by salesforce, heroku has done a grand total of bupkis in new features and poo poo

the old features remain good af tho

man, it wasn't just salesforce, i mean in the last two years they did release a bunch of ci tooling, pipelines, and even vpc stuff

but tbh heroku lost their market lead

heroku could have ended up an amazing platform for microservices

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I picked "concurrency and it's pros/cons" as a topic for a public speaking class and I'm gonna bore these people to death with this stupid poo poo. Also it's in two days and I havent even started on it :rip:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
as long as you set up the critical sections, why can't you write & read it at the same time?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

realistically whats gonna happen is I spend all tomorrow trying to get myself to focus on it while my brain will want to do anything but that. And then I'll end up writing the whole thing at 3am the morning of

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

as someone who has done exactly that for probably most of my speech-writing career, uh, try not to do that? write your speech, practice it out loud to an audience of no one, get that poo poo on lockdown. and tailor your speech to your audience. computer programming, computer science, math, etc, all of this stuff is actually really interesting to a general audience if you can just tailor how you talk to them about it. in my technical speech class in school i totally hooked some of my classmates when i did my speech about Ada and her relationship to crazy computer man Babbage :keke:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ack dp

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
split the speech up into 40-120 sec increments, practice those willy nilly whereever in commercial breaks or some poo poo, stitch them together. once you get to like 4 minute increments add in the powerpoint.

read speeches backwards. read em with stones in your mouth like demosthenes. give oral sex to a pen while you read, try not to choke. intersperse "banana" into the speech so that every other word is "banana". whenever you do a new repetition of the speech, pull up another weirder method, don't repeat the same exact way twice, give yourself challenges. this is not incredibly hard to come up with ways to annoy yourself while speaking. have someone throw things at you if necessary. have someone slap you at the end of every sentence. roll around on the ground while practicing.

there is one end of a powerpoint spectrum where the powerpoint is a whole document that random strangers can read without listening to the speech (common in consultingland: http://www.shareholderforum.com/dri/Library/20140911_Starboard-presentation.pdf) and another end of a powerpoint spectrum where the powerpoint literally has nothing + epsilon on it. use best judgment

i have had my best success with writing speeches ex nihilo by speaking into a speakerphone off the cuff, listening, speaking again, doing it again a few times and transcribing the result. this takes a few hours for me but i am solidly deec at speaking off the cuff

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 24, 2018

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

what is the most capable current programming language

i think it may be javascript. whatever the gently caress you wanna do, JS has it covered. in browser, API, backend, desktop, mobile, scripting, javacript can do all of them at least tolerably well with acceptable performance. can't handle kernel mode but that's true for anything garbage collected. (except rust apparently. (compiler managed refcounts are not GC)) not real good for high-end systems programming either but that's almost as bad as kernel. you can write weird java, and maybe go is decent too?

i'm not saying it's a good language, but if evil computer genie makes you pick exactly one language for your whole business to use forever, pick javascript

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

what is the most capable current programming language

i think it may be javascript. whatever the gently caress you wanna do, JS has it covered. in browser, API, backend, desktop, mobile, scripting, javacript can do all of them at least tolerably well with acceptable performance. can't handle kernel mode but that's true for anything garbage collected. (except rust apparently. (compiler managed refcounts are not GC)) not real good for high-end systems programming either but that's almost as bad as kernel. you can write weird java, and maybe go is decent too?

i'm not saying it's a good language, but if evil computer genie makes you pick exactly one language for your whole business to use forever, pick javascript

https://node-os.com/

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

yeah see you can do that with JS. java not really

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

brand engager posted:

I picked "concurrency and it's pros/cons" as a topic for a public speaking class and I'm gonna bore these people to death with this stupid poo poo. Also it's in two days and I havent even started on it :rip:

JawnV6 posted:

as long as you set up the critical sections, why can't you write & read it at the same time?

lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

yeah see you can do that with JS. java not really

http://www4.cs.fau.de/Projects/JX/

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

website is ugly and the code is old, doesn't count

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

website is ugly and the code is old, doesn't count

did u write this? https://hackernoon.com/javascript-has-already-won-235b29ed126b

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

this is making me so angry

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

tef posted:

heroku could have ended up an amazing platform for microservices

heroku had basically every opportunity to be both the leading function-as-a-service platform and hosted docker service platform, just they either didn't recognize the opportunity fast enough or didn't execute in time

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yes that one

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

heroku had basically every opportunity to be both the leading function-as-a-service platform and hosted docker service platform, just they either didn't recognize the opportunity fast enough or didn't execute in time

I recall a team looking at docker early on and it had such comically bad security that it couldn’t reasonably be used for anything that was multitenant. This apparently did not stop some people from building their own platforms with it. By the time docker was safer to use it was already late, and I think Heroku had compromised on offering ‘dockerized builds’ where you could use docker but only if you had used a specific set of base images or something. Not too sure if I remember this right.

At some point competition became google itself who could sink years of dev time on k8s and you have to turn around to use that rather than competing by writing your own, but you hardly see that coming when you’re right in it. You also have to recall the uncertainty around the time the docker community forked once or twice and asking how long you are signing up to maintain this

As for functions, I think this was the kind of project that had hit the right mix of very cross-team project where no one could herd the cats, and tech debt in the stack that would prevent enough flexibility to quickly make this work without major modifications to the whole platform.

I wasn’t really on any of the involved teams for any of this, for what it’s worth.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

quote:

Currently you cannot run Python 2 inside the Python 3 virtual machine. Since I cannot, that means Python 3 is not Turing Complete and should not be used by anyone.

hahahahaha

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

finally ended up forced to write some python3, keep finding things breaking when one list/map/set or other surprisingly empty where it shouldn't be. inserting iterators in random places (in the output of 'map' i find especially egregious) is a really stupid early optimization, and forces me to either recreate sane-language-behavior by realizing them in place each time or balance a mental model where i keep track of which seeming collections are actually single-use

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i thought zed shaw was kinda a respectable dude and then i read that and lost all respect, lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

finally ended up forced to write some python3, keep finding things breaking when one list/map/set or other surprisingly empty where it shouldn't be. inserting iterators in random places (in the output of 'map' i find especially egregious) is a really stupid early optimization, and forces me to either recreate sane-language-behavior by realizing them in place each time or balance a mental model where i keep track of which seeming collections are actually single-use

itertools.tee is often your friend

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i thought zed shaw was kinda a respectable dude and then i read that and lost all respect, lol

we’ve had multi-page zed shaw mocking itt more than once

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

what’s wrong with some stuff just producing generators, rather than fully formed iterables?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

we’ve had multi-page zed shaw mocking itt more than once

no, i read that years ago, but i lost respect for him like seconds after reading that, years ago

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

no, i read that years ago, but i lost respect for him like seconds after reading that, years ago

ah

another fun zed shaw thing is his c book iirc

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

zed shaw has blocked me on twitter which is impressive considering i barely use it and have never interacted with him

he must have mass blocked the followers of someone he doesn't like lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

cinci zoo sniper posted:

another fun zed shaw thing is his c book iirc

Anything write-up of that? Asking... for a friend.