Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

re: seattle, also check out all the cider places if youre interested in that sort of thing. Theres a cider taproom in walking distance from brouwers cafe that had 3 dozen or so on the menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Went to Max's Taphouse in Baltimore, and had a fun time picking random things off the menu.

The Freigiest/Muskatnauss-Herr Muller was incredibly strange. It was apparently a barrel aged sour of some sort, but it was so heavily spiced I honestly wasn't able to pick that up beyond the faintest hints. Everybody else at the bar said it tasted exactly how essential oils smell. This one went unfinished.

The Brewers Art/Monument BA Crosstown Vol 2 was also odd, but because it sat in a weird inbetween of a dubbel and a trippel. I found it much more drinkable than most dubbels though, which always seem to go down wrong for me. We all agreed it was good though and it was my favorite thing I had that night.

The Bruery's Tell No Tales, was again, a bit strange. 12.5%, it was apparently a barrel aged barleywine, made with yams and maple syrup. It tasted pretty much entirely of yams, which is not at all what I was expecting. Just a sweet alcoholic yam juice. I had a bit of it but then my Boyfriend ended up finishing it.

The last thing I had (my Boyfriend also got a blackberry stout of some kind which I have no idea how it was) was RAR's BA 3870, which was a Whiskey BA'd quad. It just kind of tasted like your standard quad but if it was aged in whiskey barrels. Nothing surprising, and made me realize that quads are just too much for me nowadays. Not bad, but even if I was super into quads still, no reason why I wouldn't just drink a Rochefort instead.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Crafthaus is so far the only standout for the local Vegas taps I've tried - solid saison. Also ended up at Hattie B's in the Cosmopolitan's food hall thing, they have Bearded Iris Homestyle on tap... but if I have to drop $11 on a beer, the better decision was pFriem IPA over at Lardo. Pleasantly surprised the food wasn't priced as outrageously as the drinks.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
This is stupidly good for it's price. 60sek/bottle.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Klaus Kinski posted:

This is stupidly good for it's price. 60sek/bottle.

send some this way.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
I'm heading down to LA for a few days this week. I'm staying downtown and really don't want to go to Mikkeller, where should I go? What should I drink?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

ogopogo posted:

Anyone Las Vegas goons hitting the https://downtownbrewfestival.com/ tonight? I'll be out there helping sling pizzas and drink beer. Should be fun.

I work Saturdays, in part to discourage myself from spending money on beer fests. Also Motley Brews, who runs that fest and a lot of them throughout the year, has been kinda lovely to other downtown businesses. For instance, one year they forced Atomic Liquors to change the date of their sour fest to avoid conflicting with an MB event. Atomic had already begun promoting before MB announced their date. Very rude, especially since the rescheduled day meant I missed Atomic's fest.

...which, by the way, is November 10th this year. I strongly urge anyone in Vegas at that time to go - they're working closely with Milk The Funk founder (and buddy of mine) Dan Pixley to get beers in from extremely hard to find breweries. He's being kind of secretive with the full list, but Bokkereyder, Black Project, and Atom Brewing are confirmed.

air- posted:

Crafthaus is so far the only standout for the local Vegas taps I've tried - solid saison.

*sniff* I'm so proud.

Their brut IPA (I am Brut) is only on tap at the brewery, but it's excellent. Evocation (the saison) is my lawnmower beer.

Get off-Strip if you want anything affordable anywhere.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

ReaperUnreal posted:

I'm heading down to LA for a few days this week. I'm staying downtown and really don't want to go to Mikkeller, where should I go? What should I drink?

Highland Park Brewery in Chinatown. Caveat, it will be crowded on Friday because of the WS. You should drink wild ales, hopped pilsners, traditional lagers, and west coast IPAs.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

ReaperUnreal posted:

Modern Times. Highland Park Chinatown. Whole Foods (The Eight Bar).

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

bartolimu posted:

I work Saturdays, in part to discourage myself from spending money on beer fests. Also Motley Brews, who runs that fest and a lot of them throughout the year, has been kinda lovely to other downtown businesses. For instance, one year they forced Atomic Liquors to change the date of their sour fest to avoid conflicting with an MB event. Atomic had already begun promoting before MB announced their date. Very rude, especially since the rescheduled day meant I missed Atomic's fest.

...which, by the way, is November 10th this year. I strongly urge anyone in Vegas at that time to go - they're working closely with Milk The Funk founder (and buddy of mine) Dan Pixley to get beers in from extremely hard to find breweries. He's being kind of secretive with the full list, but Bokkereyder, Black Project, and Atom Brewing are confirmed.

*sniff* I'm so proud.

Their brut IPA (I am Brut) is only on tap at the brewery, but it's excellent. Evocation (the saison) is my lawnmower beer.

Get off-Strip if you want anything affordable anywhere.

Good to know, I've never been to the Motley Brews thing before and came to help out a buddy. Atomic's Sour Saturday is my favorite event of the year and will definitely be there!
I did an event for CraftHaus last week and the owner tapped me to do some video work for them soon, pretty excited. They're one of my favs, and have crushed countless amounts of their gose.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ReaperUnreal posted:

Literally sitting at the bar at Mikkeller right now because my friend booked our hotel downtown and there is gently caress all to do/drink here. They have Hill Farmstead on, at least.

Highland Park was good.

Edit: half the beers on the menu are 25cl pours but they are apparently incapable of selling me a half pour of a 50cl beer :saddowns:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 22, 2018

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
I'm going to London on Saturday for 6 days. What are the good places there?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

saltyslug posted:

I'm going to London on Saturday for 6 days. What are the good places there?

The Kernel was always great but they closed their Taproom to focus on brewing as I remember, you can still visit though. Beavertown is a good, you can see Logan Plant after slaving away for years being an international rock star finally realising his dream of being a brewer. Fourpure have a taproom, that's good. Redchurch have a taproom and make, for me, some of the best drinking beers around just now, they had a 2% sour called Refresher that was so good.

Obviously there's the Bermondsey Beer Mile

http://www.bermondsey-beer-mile.co.uk/

as well which has some great places on it, Moor, Partizan, Fourpure, Eberia, Brew By Numbers, Kernel etc. So if you've got 1 days to do it then do that.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Can confirm the Bermondsey beer mile is where it's at.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002
Hit up the Harp if you want a good cask experience. I always loved going to the Cock in Hackney. Find a place with bar billiards and just be content with whatever is on tap.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Gonna be in Austin for a couple days for a wedding. Will be on dad duty so no brewery trips are gonna happen but I might be able to swing by a store for take home stuff. What should I be looking for?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Check @e1grocery @foodmlk and @hancockbeer for an idea of some new releases. I think ABW Black Thunder should still be around, which is their schwarzbier that was downgraded from flagship to a seasonal. Try to drop by the Whole Foods on 5th/Lamar, they might still have some hazy Spindletap cans.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I finally did it. I bought some SpeedWay

It wasnt technically my wedding day. It was the day before, but whatever! Thanks to all the goons who recommend this to me. I always seen it but passed it up at the store.

I also bought 6 lotto tickets...that was less exciting.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

ReaperUnreal posted:

Not strictly beer related but you should check out Cole's at 6th and Main. Oldest bar in the city, invented the French dip sandwich and you can have a piss in the same urinal that Charles Bukowski used. They've got a full bar and the beer selection is generally decent, just don't expect any whalez and you'll be fine.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Not strictly beer related but you should check out Cole's at 6th and Main. Oldest bar in the city, invented the French dip sandwich and you can have a piss in the same urinal that Charles Bukowski used. They've got a full bar and the beer selection is generally decent, just don't expect any whalez and you'll be fine.

FTFY :colbert:.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Touche. But I will proffer that Cole's does make the better tasting of the two sandwiches, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise :discourse:

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Touche. But I will proffer that Cole's does make the better tasting of the two sandwiches, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise :discourse:

Try the french dip at Houston's; even though it's a chain, best tasting version available in LA IMO.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Y'all ever hear of this little place called Arby's?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

very stable genius posted:

Y'all ever hear of this little place called Arby's?

No, I tend to stay away from places that sell bad food.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

https://sf.eater.com/2018/10/22/18010528/modern-times-beer-opening-oakland-san-francisco-bay-area-uptown

:beerpal:

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

bartolimu posted:

Thanks for the Minneapolis/St. Paul recs, everyone. I'll be sure to write up my usual too-many-words review once I'm back. During my trip I'll be driving down to Toppling Goliath/Pulpit Rock. Are there any spots of note in Rochester, since I'll be driving through there on the way?

Forager is really good and def lives up to the hype.

If you want something that is actually close to the airport (8 mn away) on your way out, Wild Minds has some good beer if you dig wild ales.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Furious Lobster posted:

Try the french dip at Houston's; even though it's a chain, best tasting version available in LA IMO.

I'm about 10 minutes away from one, I'll definitely be checking that out.
Also...forgot about Mumford for another DTLA brewery recommendation. They tend to put out a lot of hazys but if that isnt your thing, their pilsner "Legend Has It" is drat good.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Austin breweries stepping it up as the city is freaking out over water:
https://www.austin360.com/entertainmentlife/20181023/how-local-breweries-are-helping-austin-during-water-boil-notice

https://twitter.com/jesterkingbeer/status/1054873102709022720

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Oh hell yeah

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Forager is really good and def lives up to the hype.

If you want something that is actually close to the airport (8 mn away) on your way out, Wild Minds has some good beer if you dig wild ales.

If I get out of Minneapolis late enough that Forager is open when I pass through Rochester, that's lunch sorted.

And Wild Mind is the second Minneapolis brewery I've looked at that has kvass on the menu. That's pretty awesome, and a thing I haven't seen in other areas. There are a couple of Russian/Ukrainian restaurants in town that do them, but none of our breweries have yet.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Had some if this today at the local pizza shop. I'm not an iPa kinda guy but this was pretty enjoyable.

Pepper came in nice and clear. Not so much the peaches, but it was def fruity.

Overall opinion 7/10

Hey these guys are pretty local for me so you must be in my neck of the woods. They've stepped their game up quite a bit in the last few years, used to be crazy butter popcorn bombs but now pretty solid.

My favorite part about drinking beer is all the standing in line.

Any brewery that makes people stand in line instead of buying poo poo online like an adult should be punched in the neck.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Lurker recommendation req:

I'm going to be in Seattle in a week for a conference. I googled a bunch of breweries and have a short list but is there anything/anywhere that you guys recommend I try while I'm in town if I've only got one free night? Will be driving up to Vancouver the week following as well.

Do some good beer bars if you're only there for a night since they'll have a good sampling of locals and none of the taprooms I went to up there were a particularly special experience.

Brouwer's Cafe, Pine Box, and Chuck's Hop Shop are some personal favorites. Chuck's does tasters, full pours, growler fills and to-go bottle sales as well. All 3 have 50+ taps.

If you really want that brewery life +1 to all the Holy Mountain recs.

Mr. Clark2 posted:

The beer is wack at Cole's but they have pretty awesome classic cocktails if that's your thing and the french dip + potato salad are bomb as gently caress.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
The local pizza joint (Luigis Pizzeria, San Diego!) doubles as a pretty decent Ale house. Get a slice and try a new beer every time I go. Or I buy a $2 PBR can...

Mischief from The Breuery, this was my favorite beer they had for awhile.

Got this MONGO from Port Brewing

For someone who doesn't like IPAs I sure do drink alot of IPAs.

edit 2: sorry for all the Instagram style photos. These were for uhh Instagram.

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 24, 2018

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

MunchE posted:

Any brewery that makes people stand in line instead of buying poo poo online like an adult should be punched in the neck.

So, monkish?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Decent local breweries with seasonal beers and no hype are the best. I’ve become a big fan of Union since moving to Baltimore because everything they make is decent or better and I don’t need to wait in line for any of it. I’d rather just drink a Skipjack or Steady Eddie over pretty much any random one off because I appreciate consistency. And their seasonal beer is really good. This post brought to you by Union Foxy.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Decent local breweries with seasonal beers and no hype are the best.

7venth sun is the tampa brewery you should seek out for this reason.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

ABGB, St. Elmo, and Oddwood in Austin :yeah:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Oh, and not necessarily a “local” brewery, but I did check out the new Guinness brewery in Baltimore and it’s really loving nice. I was a little hesitant about the beer but honestly the brewers are doing some really good things. The taproom exclusives were all pretty good, particularly the DIPA, which was a total throwback to old west coast style. They also have a rather large barrel room so I’m excited to see what comes out of that.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Decent local breweries with seasonal beers and no hype are the best. I’ve become a big fan of Union since moving to Baltimore because everything they make is decent or better and I don’t need to wait in line for any of it. I’d rather just drink a Skipjack or Steady Eddie over pretty much any random one off because I appreciate consistency. And their seasonal beer is really good. This post brought to you by Union Foxy.

i would be fine with someone describing us like that; we still have a few cases of that "third out of 160 entries is second loser" pilsner, which was canned 8/20 (and is still drinking great, honestly). of course, we have some sizeable beernerd sponges in town- Veil, Triple Crossing, Answer/Mekong- so those people don't give us much love, but i've gotten enough compliments from brewers that i respect to know that the majority of our poo poo is decent

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

MunchE posted:

To be fair to Rev, this is the 6th or so year of their barrel program and this is the first time I've ever seen a line for their stuff, let alone stood in it. I didn't make it to the Mindshaft Gap release, which sold out in roughly the same amount of time but my understanding is they made a LOT more VSOJ than that.

I think even they were surprised by the turnout at opening. But they also had 6 registers for processing, with 2-3 people staffing each to grab beer, charge, and just help things moving. I've never seen so many people pay for beer in such a small amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

funkybottoms posted:

i would be fine with someone describing us like that; we still have a few cases of that "third out of 160 entries is second loser" pilsner

send these and an invoice so i dont have to feel the sense of impending doom when i finish my last 2