Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
In the Kickstarter brief they said they wanted to do Kingmaker because they wanted you to make your own kingdom, so that's why it's set where it is.
The boring bit, because they want to build a kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Lord Koth posted:

Given it ends with an optional encounter against said Demon Lord, this might give you an idea of the power involved.

So Kingmaker named Owlbear level? Sounds about right.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

the nucas posted:

color me intrigued about the demon adjacent "really hosed"

That's Mendev.

Mendev is in the middle of its fourth crusade against the Worldwound; the first one was set up by Aroden's priesthood (the dead god) but now they're under Iomedae's, goddess of valor and honour. They have a good (in the alignment sense) leader but she has very limited power outside her capital; they've been at war for so long that all the various generals and commanders have basically decided to be regional warlords of varying quality and morality. There's a lot of treasure-seekers in the current crop of crusaders as there are some fantastic ruins in the areas around the Worldwound, and some of the churches have sent 'penitent' warriors to fight in the Mendevian crusades to get them out of the way.

They've pretty much accepted that they're not going to win without something seriously changing and going their way (say, a bunch of mythic adventurers doing Wrath of the Righteous) and are currently just trying to hold out as long as possible.

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 23, 2018

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Comstar posted:

So I just gathered that if I failed to give the Whip to Delgardo the wizard from the Troll fort (and the quest is stuck and the Kobold merchant dosn't sell it), and I just made peace with the Kobolds and lost the chance to add him as an adviser AND failed Harrim's personal quest.

Does this all mean I just got a dead man walking scenario?
Delgado is not a good advisor (+2 treasurer and diplomat iirc) and apart from that I've only seen him help during one quest so far. I think you only really want him if you're playing an evil character and need advisors that agree with your decisions.

No idea how bad failing Harrim's quest is. But even assuming he fucks off at some point because of it, divine magic and support magic in general is covered pretty well by the other companions. Going without a Cleric or Druid early on would probably be painful but as soon as Linzi and Jaethal reach level 3 spells you can probably do without a full divine caster.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 23, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Failing their quest is bad.

It kills them in the final game stuff. Of course with so many bugged quests that means most people who have experienced the final dungeon have had their party all die.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Toying with the idea of playing PoE II, I realized I never finished (or even got that far in PoE I), so I downloaded that last night and seeing how it goes.

Eox posted:

We're in the top right here, in Huge International Clusterfuck.

Note: Bunga Bunga Land is an ill-advised reference to an actual term a british politician used to refer to Africa

That map is a lot of fun. When I'm not at work, I have to look up what those nations are.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Wizard Styles posted:

Delgado is not a good advisor (+2 treasurer and diplomat iirc) and apart from that I've only seen him help during one quest so far. I think you only really want him if you're playing an evil character and need advisors that agree with your decisions.

The various NPC advisors would be way more useful if you could at least give them items to boost their skills up a bit. (After all, aren't the party-companions' advisory bonuses based on their skills, as well as the kingdom bonuses? )

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

SubNat posted:

The various NPC advisors would be way more useful if you could at least give them items to boost their skills up a bit. (After all, aren't the party-companions' advisory bonuses based on their skills, as well as the kingdom bonuses? )
Yeah, I gave Ekun a +6 Con belt just to make him a better warden. And the game hands out a lot of those items.
But you get projects to increase the skill of advisors by 1. As far as I can tell these projects aren't available for companions so I assume they were put in to allow the advisors you can't give stat-boosting gear to keep up.
Delgado's problem is more just that a base modifier of +2 is kinda bad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
To add to poor stats on some advisers, I hate that they give you so few options for some posts. E.g. you can pick these possible councilors - a character you must pick from among three options before the concept of advisers is even introduced; a character you must keep from getting banished against the wish of your other courtiers not knowing she can be recruited as an adviser, and whose alignment may be strongly opposed to yours; and a character who betrays you and leaves halfway through the game, and even though you can get him back, you may have strong role playing reasons not to, or the quest tied to it may break on you. Great design, lads!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

steinrokkan posted:

To add to poor stats on some advisers, I hate that they give you so few options for some posts. E.g. you can pick these possible councilors - a character you must pick from among three options before the concept of advisers is even introduced; a character you must keep from getting banished against the wish of your other courtiers not knowing she can be recruited as an adviser, and whose alignment may be strongly opposed to yours; and a character who betrays you and leaves halfway through the game, and even though you can get him back, you may have strong role playing reasons not to, or the quest tied to it may break on you. Great design, lads!
I mean, I'm with you, there should be a couple more random NPCs that you can recruit as advisors.
But Tsanna has a portrait that I think you see as soon as you find out she's the Lamashtu priestess so you can at least guess she's an advisor. I realize that's a pretty gamey line of reasoning but it's there.
And at the point you meet her there have been some hints that Tristian knows more than he should about what's going on with the Bloom so you have reason enough to look for a replacement.
Plus he basically tells you he's going to betray you as soon as you get to the Valley of the Dead so at least you should be prepared.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
IIRC I told Tsanna to gently caress off well before Tristain started acting up, and I didn't recruit her because I wanted to stay on the military guy's good side. Who then promptly proceeded to perma-die in an unrelated event.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

IIRC I told Tsanna to gently caress off well before Tristain started acting up, and I didn't recruit her because I wanted to stay on the military guy's good side. Who then promptly proceeded to perma-die in an unrelated event.

Garess dying in the cave can be prevented fairly easily, once you know how. On the surface, the game is giving you a choice between Garess or Jhod perma-dying (depending on which objective you do first), but there's at least two ways to keep both (one's definitely legitimate, one may or may not be intended). The definitely legitimate way is to be playing a Lawful character, and you can simply order Garess to go back to the capital instead of haring off alone. The :shrug: way is to follow him to the cave immediately, save his dumb rear end by killing everything in the entrance area, then turn around and immediately go back to the capital without doing the rest of it (or at the very least not the First World stuff).

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm still going to buy this in a distant post-patch future, but I'm now enthralled and amused by the late game shenanigans described in it's current state.

So has anyone successfully navigated the apparent mindfield of bugged out lose conditions and unavoidable party wipes and actually completed this game?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Deptfordx posted:

I'm still going to buy this in a distant post-patch future, but I'm now enthralled and amused by the late game shenanigans described in it's current state.

So has anyone successfully navigated the apparent mindfield of bugged out lose conditions and unavoidable party wipes and actually completed this game?

No.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Apparently yes, though the ending slides may or may not be bugged?
(aka getting like 1 slide and then credits)

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Twice now I've finished the final chapter in one sitting, twice now I've reached phase two of the final bossfight, twice now I've forgotten to hard save before it crashes right then.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Some people have claimed to have finished it, and ending slides have definitely been posted, so the answer is apparently yes. The achievement is also showing 0.1% having completed it now (as opposed to 0% in a bunch of other achievements still).

Personally, I'm just taking it slow. Initial character just finished Season of Bloom, and I've started up a new character to try out some different ideas. Not really in any rush to finish the game, so I'm fairly content just advancing slowly while I wait for the issues with the late game to get fixed.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Deptfordx posted:

The "win the game!" achievement now has 0.1% listed, so...maybe?

(I'm not convinced that people aren't just using SAM to troll).

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

steinrokkan posted:

This is why the neutral envoy the old lady, NOT the jackass noble (he's very much the evil option boy howdy, his attempt to pass himself off as chaotic neutral is bullshit, and picking him is going to be something you probably really really regret) is by far the best pick. Plus said envoy's stats seem to be pretty solid despite being an npc.

Neutral here refers to morality, NOT politics. That being said the old lady is surprisingly ok with middle of the road policies, as long as I don't favor the other side TOO much. (Neutral 4 life).

Also, I found Ekun to be a better spy master than a warden since minister is based on dex....and he has a shitton of that stat. The alternative is Jaeathal, assuming you're using Jubilost as treasurer (and he's pretty good at it). Jaethal's dex sucks in comparison. Haven't tried her yet though, so I can't compare her bonuses to Ekun's. Maybe that makes the difference. Also, still annoyed that Val can't be a warden. Though if she could be a warden, then I'd have to find a replacement for regent and since I've already mentioned one of those choices and why he's a really really bad choice and the other one wants to focus on int rather than charisma (and I have a build for Val that weaponizes her decent charisma stat, hence I want to upgrade it), I suppose it's just as well.

On a somewhat related note - shame Nok Nok can't be my minister...that would have been effective AND amusing :downs:

The general does an ok job as Warden and it's possible to keep both him and Jhod alive. Just got to keep up with those level up projects.

Although if you have to pick the half-orc envoy because you want to be on a particular side, at least Regongar can be a passable Warden. He's surprisingly effective as a general though. Guess there's a place for CE styled brutality somewhere in a kingdom.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 24, 2018

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Incidentally, someone on Reddit pulled the weapon data file and helpfully tossed it up on pastebin. So if you want to get a better idea of what you might want people to be using in the long term, it might be worth it to take a look and find function various weapon types. Battleaxes, for example, are a really loving bad idea to specialize in, because there both aren't many period, and there are no end-game ones. I haven't looked over it too closely, but there seems to be an end-game quality weapon in for most/all of the deity favored weapons, which is nice.

It also might actually be worth it to specialize Amiri in bastard swords, rather than just permanently switching, since her oversized one can get heavily upgraded multiple times and there are other cool ones as well - there are really good greatswords and greataxes too though.

https://pastebin.com/7GGdngEn

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Chairchucker posted:

I think I came at those guys with both Harrim AND Tristian and did lots and lots of channeling.

that's how I did it. Without two clerics however it's going to be quite a hard fight on challenging or above

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Lord Koth posted:

Garess dying in the cave can be prevented fairly easily, once you know how. On the surface, the game is giving you a choice between Garess or Jhod perma-dying (depending on which objective you do first), but there's at least two ways to keep both (one's definitely legitimate, one may or may not be intended). The definitely legitimate way is to be playing a Lawful character, and you can simply order Garess to go back to the capital instead of haring off alone. The :shrug: way is to follow him to the cave immediately, save his dumb rear end by killing everything in the entrance area, then turn around and immediately go back to the capital without doing the rest of it (or at the very least not the First World stuff).

I saved em both by dealing with the capital then returning to the main thing, at one point Jhod's sacrifice was mentioned and when I returned to the capital the giant owlbear spawned again but they were both still alive at the end of things.

Poil posted:

They said it was daft to adventure in the swamp but I did it anyway just to show them. My party died in the swamp. So I reloaded and the party died in the swamp. Third time was fireballed, tripped and died in the swamp. But the fourth is still stan-oh wait the game broke.

I chuckled most sensibly at this.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
For all the bugs this game has, I really really like the writing.

Doing the Fey debates for jubilost and my oh my was I laughing my rear end off the whole way through.

THANK TENTACLES, I MEAN DESNA (ribbit).

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Really hype for this game in 3 to 5 months.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

mauman posted:

For all the bugs this game has, I really really like the writing.

Doing the Fey debates for jubilost and my oh my was I laughing my rear end off the whole way through.

THANK TENTACLES, I MEAN DESNA (ribbit).

I hope they became dragons.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
DId they also have a collection of armors that this game has too? I can never set on which weapon a magus should stick with.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Nok-Nok's quests are adorable.

JamMasterJim posted:

I hope they became dragons.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So they have new DLC that just blood effects straight out of dragon age to see damage on enemies and characters.

Also those look like visible wings? Did I miss an update where they actually show on character now?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Crabtree posted:

So they have new DLC that just blood effects straight out of dragon age to see damage on enemies and characters.

Also those look like visible wings? Did I miss an update where they actually show on character now?

Why? I mean it's nice that it's free I guess. But why?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Because the devs are desperately trying to fix their buggy game that breaks in new and exciting ways every day. I figure they just wanted to throw something out that makes them feel good - like speckling characters with blood.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm pretty happy they stopped the pitixian events from continuing after Pitax is conquered.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Crabtree posted:

DId they also have a collection of armors that this game has too? I can never set on which weapon a magus should stick with.

It's certainly accessible in the game files, but it certainly wasn't pulled in that post. And I haven't seen anyone else compile it either. Armor/shields are hardly as vital as finding out the weapon you want to specialize in has no end-game version though, since there's no specific armor specialization - just light/medium/heavy specialization, so it's definitely not as vital.

Fixes posted:

"Undeath to Death" and "Circle of Death" did not work as well as in tabletop - as at the levels you got them you would not get many encounters with enemies that had less than 10 HD that would warrant the use of sixth level spell. They also did not require material components. Resolution: both spells inflict 100 damage on targets with HD higher than 9, but require 10 diamond dust to cast (similar to tabletop in terms of pricing).

This tweak is particularly amusing, because I don't think I've ever seen either of those spells be useful in tabletop either - the same issue they mention for it being useless here is also generally applicable to when you get it there. So with this it's actually MORE useful than it ever was in the original material.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Crabtree posted:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Pathfinder: Kingmaker, a bloddy mess

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Which isn't nearly as useful as being able to create tailor made equipment ala Pillars.

I almost feel bad for bringing up Pilars so often, but it's staggering how much better thought out everything is in that game, and it's not because of a bigger budget, they just knew how to build a game that worked on a very fundamental level.

A lot of people felt Pillars was a set of bad games and I always felt like we had different sets of measurements when they said so. I suppose because I remembered just how awful systems in these games can be and I was amazed at what Pillars had accomplished given the very difficult systems they had promised to implement.

Or because I remembered how awful games made in this engine can be.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 24, 2018

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Taear posted:

Why? I mean it's nice that it's free I guess. But why?

So the game can get a lower age rating at release. Its legit and the smart and proper thing to do. Release the game as goody two shoes, add the gore later as an optional free upgrade.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wait. They actually implemented material components for spells?

In 30 years of RPG's i've seen exactly one GM ever bother with material components. A one-off with pre-gens, the guy had lovingly handwritten every single item and it's quantity and who it became clear very quickly was shall we say, a little on the spectrum.

I'd assumed components were like weapon speed factors, a charmingly misguided effort toward verisilimitude that turned out to be just pointless unfun book-keeping that everyone dropped.

So you actually have to buy components, restock them, worry about running out etc. Why the gently caress did they bother?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Deptfordx posted:

I'd assumed components were like weapon speed factors, a charmingly misguided effort toward verisilimitude that turned out to be just pointless unfun book-keeping that everyone dropped.

So you actually have to buy components, restock them, worry about running out etc. Why the gently caress did they bother?

In (tabletop, at least) Pathfinder you only have to pay attention to what components you have if they cost money. Anything with a material component for flavour is subsumed into a 'spell component pouch' item that doesn't run out, but you could theoretically have it taken if you were a prisoner or something. Sorcerers don't need one, but still need to pay for expensive components.There are also material focuses which have a cost but don't get used up so you only have to buy them once; the most iconic example is a cleric's holy symbol, but there are others, like scrying requiring a specially prepared silver mirror.

Circle of death (and undeath to death, which is identical except it targets undead instead of living creatures) is one of those spells that does have an expensive material component in tabletop; it is a crushed black pearl worth at least 500 gp. The spell doesn't do anything to 9+ HD creatures but is (theoretically) good at wiping out large groups of creatures 8 HD or below, instantly killing 1d4 HD worth of creatures per caster level. It looks like they had originally made it free to cast in Kingmaker but decided to make you spend money on it once it did something to higher level targets.

Edit: corrected myself. The cutoff is 9 HD, not 10.

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 24, 2018

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

Deptfordx posted:

Wait. They actually implemented material components for spells?

In 30 years of RPG's i've seen exactly one GM ever bother with material components. A one-off with pre-gens, the guy had lovingly handwritten every single item and it's quantity and who it became clear very quickly was shall we say, a little on the spectrum.

I've only ever seen abstracted money costs with a DM because he observed (very correctly imo) that certain spells were balanced around prohibitive material component cost or acquisition.

The current tack we have is you make up your own material components for spells that have specific and expensive reagents, like raise dead required three well-bred rams for slaughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Blockhouse posted:

Golarion's main feature as a setting is it has a fantasy counterpart to pretty much every Earth culture ever (including stuff like colonial America) as well as specific settings like a spooky haunted country and a frozen evil fairy tale country ruled by Baba Yaga and a country that is basically Conan the Barbarian vs laser-gun robots.

It's really more Thundarr than Conan