Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

oh for gently caress's sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

A good article about when it was good.

https://ew.com/tv/2018/10/19/the-simpsons-homer-cubed-treehouse-of-horror-vi/

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Entertainment Weekly is the only outlet that will write about this show anymore

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
The article called the mathematician Andrew Wiles and Andrew Wilde. Bleh

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

that alliteration

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Treehouse of Horror tonight blew real bad.

They've been recording more commentaries apparently, so Simpsons World has them up to Season 18. I'm morbidly curious to see what they have to say for themselves.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://youtu.be/ecFaZG3CYgo

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://youtu.be/F68l9FozxJ8

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

I tried watching it for 2 minutes but I can’t stand that youtubers animation. I’d prefer he personally host it or use a facecam to that crappy animation. Better yet just talk about the show and do the shilling about yourself at the end.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

DropsySufferer posted:

I tried watching it for 2 minutes but I can’t stand that youtubers animation. I’d prefer he personally host it or use a facecam to that crappy animation. Better yet just talk about the show and do the shilling about yourself at the end.

Yeah, but then you'd have to look at him.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ah, finally a white man is here to tell me if Apu is racist or not

e: Wow that video is real bad. 8 minutes in and most of his arguments have been poo poo like “Well Apu is only racist on the surface!” and “The racist stereotypes about his character actually are there to subvert expectations!” and “His accent is okay because cartoons use funny voices!” I know this video still has half an hour left so maybe he’s using all of these arguments facetiously and is doing a bait and switch or some poo poo, but i’m not gunna watch and find out.

e2: lmao I arbitrarily clicked halfway through the video only to find him arguing that it’s okay he’s voiced by a white dude because it means more job opportunities, gently caress this dude

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 23, 2018

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

It won't go away from my recommended. I tried clicking through a few clips, and it really comes off as the type of sheltered nerd who has only really been around the same two dozen people just like him all his life. You can make arguments for and against Apu, but he makes a lot of the dumb ones for him pretty much based entirely on his views and experiences. The one clip I remember is like "I don't want anyone to be bullied, but you can only blame the bully, not the cartoon he uses to mock you," which is an argument I feel like anyone who wants to pass the fifth grade could take down.

I've been going through Talking Simpsons since you guys mentioned it and it's good. I got to one episode about Apu and they started talking about the Indian men who came to the US in the '70s and '80s and how that factored into Apu's character, even down to his name being indicative of someone typically living in southern India. Right or wrong, it's at least an interesting piece of it to hear versus the guy above trying to jump through any hoop he can to not even criticize The Simpsons or Apu.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

CodfishCartographer posted:

e: Wow that video is real bad. 8 minutes in and most of his arguments have been poo poo like “Well Apu is only racist on the surface!” and “The racist stereotypes about his character actually are there to subvert expectations!” and “His accent is okay because cartoons use funny voices!” I know this video still has half an hour left so maybe he’s using all of these arguments facetiously and is doing a bait and switch or some poo poo, but i’m not gunna watch and find out.

e2: lmao I arbitrarily clicked halfway through the video only to find him arguing that it’s okay he’s voiced by a white dude because it means more job opportunities, gently caress this dude
What about the "Apu is actually depicted quite positively, especially in contrast to the majority of the show's characters" argument?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Strudel Man posted:

What about the "Apu is actually depicted quite positively, especially in contrast to the majority of the show's characters" argument?

Not to mention him being an actual 3 dimensional character rather than a cheap stereotype like groundskeeper Willie.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but the 3rd dimension just gives them more surface area for racism

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Strudel Man posted:

Honestly just take any given argument for Apu and I’m sure it’s in there

The_Rob posted:

Not to mention him being an actual 3 dimensional character rather than a cheap stereotype like groundskeeper Willie.

While true that he does have depth to him, he's still an Indian working in a supermarket with a racist accent who also is in an arranged marriage has a trillion kids and lives in a house that literally looks like this:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Honestly just take any given argument for Apu and I’m sure it’s in there

While true that he does have depth to him, he's still an Indian working in a supermarket with a racist accent who also is in an arranged marriage has a trillion kids and lives in a house that literally looks like this:

So even though he has a doctorate in computer science, is friends with Paul McCartney, owns a successful business, and is well liked by the residents of Springfield. Him working at a convenience store is bad?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Plan Z posted:

It won't go away from my recommended. I tried clicking through a few clips, and it really comes off as the type of sheltered nerd who has only really been around the same two dozen people just like him all his life. You can make arguments for and against Apu, but he makes a lot of the dumb ones for him pretty much based entirely on his views and experiences. The one clip I remember is like "I don't want anyone to be bullied, but you can only blame the bully, not the cartoon he uses to mock you," which is an argument I feel like anyone who wants to pass the fifth grade could take down.

I've been going through Talking Simpsons since you guys mentioned it and it's good. I got to one episode about Apu and they started talking about the Indian men who came to the US in the '70s and '80s and how that factored into Apu's character, even down to his name being indicative of someone typically living in southern India. Right or wrong, it's at least an interesting piece of it to hear versus the guy above trying to jump through any hoop he can to not even criticize The Simpsons or Apu.
Hotdiggitydemon's videos get recommended often and he always gives me the creeps. Like, there's always something a bit off about his parodies. He did one about Animal Crossing that was some weird ham-fisted criticism of communism that just didn't work at all. Plus he did a bunch of gross MLP cartoons.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

The_Rob posted:

So even though he has a doctorate in computer science, is friends with Paul McCartney, owns a successful business, and is well liked by the residents of Springfield. Him working at a convenience store is bad?

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not because boy am I bad at reading text on the internet, but yes it’s bad.

lmao why would a literal doctor work at a loving convenience store.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not because boy am I bad at reading text on the internet, but yes it’s bad.

lmao why would a literal doctor work at a loving convenience store.

Because the Simpsons is part of a thing called satire. So it's almost like the joke is that because Apu is Indian his intelligence and hard work is not fairly rewarded in America where as our protagonist homer is a Caucasian male who is a loud, rude, alcoholic who is rewarded for his behavior and fails upwards his entire life. It's almost like the humor is making a point about American culture.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The_Rob posted:

Because the Simpsons is part of a thing called satire. So it's almost like the joke is that because Apu is Indian his intelligence and hard work is not fairly rewarded in America where as our protagonist homer is a Caucasian male who is a loud, rude, alcoholic who is rewarded for his behavior and fails upwards his entire life. It's almost like the humor is making a point about American culture.

yeah i'm sure that's exactly what was on hank azaria's mind when he saw '(don't do an indian accent)' in the script and did an indian accent anyway because haha they sound funny

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm sure they just forgot to mention his PhD for the first six or so seasons.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the doctorate would've been the perfect excuse to give him a new job. hell, give him a job at the plant so he still has an excuse to be around as one of the guys like lenny and carl

but nah, just make some real stupid analogy about a childhood book of marge's and shrug your shoulders because gently caress changing anything

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I'm sure they just forgot to mention his PhD for the first six or so seasons.

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah i'm sure that's exactly what was on hank azaria's mind when he saw '(don't do an indian accent)' in the script and did an indian accent anyway because haha they sound funny

Just because something wasn't created with the best intentions doesn't make it irredeemable. They took a character that was a one note joke and made him into a fully realized fleshed out character. And yeah it's very likely the satire was always there because Simpsons was always a satirical show that tackled American culture. It's really not as big a stretch as you're making it seem.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Brother Entropy posted:

the doctorate would've been the perfect excuse to give him a new job. hell, give him a job at the plant so he still has an excuse to be around as one of the guys like lenny and carl

but nah, just make some real stupid analogy about a childhood book of marge's and shrug your shoulders because gently caress changing anything

This isn't the Apu show. What would giving a new job to a secondary character actually accomplish. Also is there something wrong with working at a convenience store?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

one good episode by oakley and weinstein doesn't undo all the stereotypical stuff about apu that happened before and since then

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Brother Entropy posted:

one good episode by oakley and weinstein doesn't undo all the stereotypical stuff about apu that happened before and since then

What stereotypical stuff specifically are you talking about?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The_Rob posted:

This isn't the Apu show. What would giving a new job to a secondary character actually accomplish. Also is there something wrong with working at a convenience store?

this isn't the barney show but they still made him sober for several years. this isn't the flanders show but they still killed off maude. this isn't the krabappable show but she still dated skinner and flanders for prolonged periods of time

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Brother Entropy posted:

this isn't the barney show but they still made him sober for several years. this isn't the flanders show but they still killed off maude. this isn't the krabappable show but she still dated skinner and flanders for prolonged periods of time

They killed off Maude because fox didn't want to pay the voice actress what she wanted.

And you've been given numerous examples of Apu being a fully fleshed out character but because he owns and operates a convenience store you think that's bad and refuse to listen to the examples. You clearly aren't arguing in good faith.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The_Rob posted:

They killed off Maude because fox didn't want to pay the voice actress what she wanted.

And you've been given numerous examples of Apu being a fully fleshed out character but because he owns and operates a convenience store you think that's bad and refuse to listen to the examples. You clearly aren't arguing in good faith.

what examples? a doctorate that never comes up again and being a part of a mediocre 1-minute beatle cameo?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

DropsySufferer posted:

don't worry, it's not you, this guy seems to be terrible just in general

there's another video where he spends 10 minutes going on an endless digression about the ghostbusters being women peppered with some of the blandest jokes I've ever heard

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

This guy also has a video about why women can't be Ghostbusters and why Rogue One promotes abortion in between his lovely animation shorts so maybe he's not someone who should be given any attention

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

The_Rob posted:

What stereotypical stuff specifically are you talking about?
Him being hindu, being in an arranged marriage, having an Indian design aesthetic in his apartment, et cetera. Those are all big no-nos for an Indian immigrant character.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Also didn't the Simpsons already stop using Apu like 2 years before the documentary came out after they did an episode where his nephew visited and criticized Apu for being an outdated stereotype?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

Also didn't the Simpsons already stop using Apu like 2 years before the documentary came out after they did an episode where his nephew visited and criticized Apu for being an outdated stereotype?

He hasn't shown up since that episode

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

The_Rob posted:

It's good that Apu is fleshed out, it's bad that he works at a convenience store because that's a stereotype of Indian characters. It's like the Jewish stereotype of them being bankers or whatever - being good with money isn't a negative, but it is in the context of stereotyping a race of people.

If the commentary on Apu was "he has to work at a convenience store because society says an Indian needs to do that" then they could have done that, except he didn't need to have the racist accent, or be an arranged marriage, or have 8 kids. They also would actually need to have multiple episodes about Apu trying to get to a better position but failing through no fault of his own. I don't remember any episodes actually bringing up the whole "he's forced to work there cus he's Indian" commentary, and if they do then it's so subtle that lots of people will miss it, and still doesn't excuse all the other stereotypical / racist aspects of his character, many of which were introduced in later seasons or were capable of being phased out through changing of status quo.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Apu living with the Simpsons?? It happened!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Apu didn't own the store (At least in the good seasons). He gets reprimanded by his higher ups from corporate

Riptor fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 24, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Any of y'all seen "The Problem with Apu"?

He gets a clip of Hank Azaria where he says he got the accent from Peter Sellers' playing an Indian guy and woo boy that role ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWBAKMYKPSc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Riptor posted:

Apu didn't own the store (At least in the good seasons). He gets reprimanded by his higher ups from corporate

Even if you own a franchise you still have to answer to corporate.