Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Play posted:

It's actually mostly the opposite I think, the coverage works because of the pass rush. Multiple times in the Titans game free receivers were set loose down the field and Mariota couldn't hit them because of all the pressure and how often the ravens were blitzing. That doesn't work against the saints, they have a good offensive line and Brees is excellent at making defenses pay for bringing pressure. Wasn't a great matchup for the ravens to start with

It really was a pretty even matchup though, definitely not "bad" for the Ravens. We shut down their strong running game really well, kamara basically did nothing. They had strong run D but we're more of a passing team this year. Tennessee game you also have to consider that Mariota was playing hurt, and just isn't all that good to begin with.

We really handled the Saints through three quarters but we broke down in the 4th due to getting tired and missing our best corner. With Humphrey we likely win the game. He's probably like the 1st or 2nd most important guy on the defense. We didn't get to test them much downfield either due to windy conditions. We probably should have tried more though.

We really really should have gone for 2 at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Kawalimus posted:

It really was a pretty even matchup though, definitely not "bad" for the Ravens. We shut down their strong running game really well, kamara basically did nothing. They had strong run D but we're more of a passing team this year. Tennessee game you also have to consider that Mariota was playing hurt, and just isn't all that good to begin with.

We really handled the Saints through three quarters but we broke down in the 4th due to getting tired and missing our best corner. With Humphrey we likely win the game. He's probably like the 1st or 2nd most important guy on the defense. We didn't get to test them much downfield either due to windy conditions. We probably should have tried more though.

We really really should have gone for 2 at the end.

Oh I totally agree. Just pointing out why some of the strategies that worked against other teams didn't have as good a chance against this one. And sure enough, they did not bring as much pressure this week because they knew that Brees had a pretty good chance to beat it. I had the Saints to win but I didn't expect it to be that close, so the Ravens did pretty well.

Also, you're only saying you wish they went for two because they missed the extra point. If they had gone for two and didn't make it you'd be bemoaning that. Going for the presumed gimme of an extra point was the right call with the Ravens having good momentum at that time.

Bigass Moth posted:

I struggle to blame any loss this year on Hue except Oakland where he didn’t go for it on 4th and inches after that terrible ref spot.

So that's one clear loss through his fuckupery, and I would put the loss due to kicking on him too. Isn't it his job to evaluate players and suggest changes when something isn't working?

However, instead of thinking about how many losses Hue created why don't you think about how many wins you could assign to him. I can't think of anything. His time with the Browns has been one of the great losing streaks of modern football. The team last year should've won games. This team will lose more games because of him. He doesn't bring anything to the table.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I had said multiple times in the GDT during our last drive that I thought if we got a TD we should go for 2. Also whether "momentum" like you're talking about exists or not, I think it's not necessarily the case that the Ravens had it just because we had scored. We had blown a 10 point 4th quarter lead and they stopped us on 4th. Then they came back and scored another 3 for the very important 7pt lead. There were a couple plays on that last drive of theirs where their player went out of bounds and stopped the clock--had that not happened on those plays we just wouldn't have gotten the ball back. We were lucky to even have a chance. That was probably the second worst quarter of defensive football we've had all season(first was the Cincinnati first quarter). We scored but they were clearly in control of the game still and to me you don't give their offense a 50% chance of getting the ball right back in OT. There's too much of a likelihood that if they win the toss they are going to go right down the field and score a TD based on how they had been playing late and how tired the defense seemed.

Yeah we could fail, but sometimes you just have to call your best play and trust your players to execute. We're going to win or lose the game at some point anyway(barring a tie of course) so might as well take that opportunity when it's right there. If you get the 2 and do the kickoff right(high kick just outside the end zone and stopped at the 30 or before) they have like 18 seconds and 2 timeouts to work with and probably aren't going to win. I'm generally a big proponent of trying for two in those scenarios.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I wasn't watching that game super closely so maybe you're right about momentum. But if they had gone for two and failed you'd be moaning about how Justin Tucker has never missed an extra point and how this team probably doesn't even want to win. Don't lie to me

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Play posted:

I wasn't watching that game super closely so maybe you're right about momentum. But if they had gone for two and failed you'd be moaning about how Justin Tucker has never missed an extra point and how this team probably doesn't even want to win. Don't lie to me

No I wouldn't have. I admit that I can get pretty reactive at times but it's not about missing the PAT, it's about taking the chance to (very likely) win when you have it right there rather than let variance take over with the OT coin toss. There's certainly scenarios where I would advocate taking the point and sending to OT but when you're against a HoF QB who is catching fire you don't potentially put the ball back in his hands for OT. I'm not annoyed cause I get why you think I'd do that but I am pretty firmly in the camp of going for 2 in that scenario in most cases.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

the ravens should have absolutely gone for 2 at the end, the defense was completely gassed and there was no stopping brees in OT

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Would a Harbaugh ever go for two in that situation

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the ravens brought the same amount of pressure against brees as they did any other team. the saints spent half the game doing give up runs and less than 3 step drop passes to make sure they didnt get home. in a lot of ways the ravens defense dominated that game, holding them to a very low yards per play. Its just that they got none of the high variance plays that usually go along with that like a turnover or multiple sacks.

Brees is an incredible qb and probably only tom brady could have done the same thing he did there, just endlessly converting on quick drops on 3rd and 5+ without also giving up some plays the other way. Even then, if the ball was spotted correctly at a higher than 0% rate on 4th downs the ravens probably win.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It may feel like people were looking to fault Hue but now they’re feeling bad with the risk of actual consequence he can get fired.

I’m not opposed to it, I don’t feel his heart is in it, but it’s tough because top down the front office sucks rear end and there no hope and whatnot. Like finally Dorsey came in and picked Baker and Ward so I’m more curious if this was luck or if we have something to build on for competent people and Hue was a bad evaluator and coach.

He’s not a great coach but the problems are more than just him. I’d argue as others suggest, what has he added? And I get nothing. It feels like he’s a non factor.

And if he were to go, who would take his place? Are they any better?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bob Wylie

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Gatts posted:

It may feel like people were looking to fault Hue but now they’re feeling bad with the risk of actual consequence he can get fired.

I’m not opposed to it, I don’t feel his heart is in it, but it’s tough because top down the front office sucks rear end and there no hope and whatnot. Like finally Dorsey came in and picked Baker and Ward so I’m more curious if this was luck or if we have something to build on for competent people and Hue was a bad evaluator and coach.

He’s not a great coach but the problems are more than just him. I’d argue as others suggest, what has he added? And I get nothing. It feels like he’s a non factor.

And if he were to go, who would take his place? Are they any better?

Todd Haley is a step up from Hue, even as just an interim HC, even if he's an abrasive rear end in a top hat. He's not a long-term solution, however. Dorsey built the Alex Smith era Chiefs, and he's clearly a fantastic draft guy. Even if your owner is a Jerry Jones lite, the Browns are improved the minute they are rid of Hue, as people in this forum have been saying for months.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Todd Haley is a step up from Hue, even as just an interim HC, even if he's an abrasive rear end in a top hat. He's not a long-term solution, however. Dorsey built the Alex Smith era Chiefs, and he's clearly a fantastic draft guy. Even if your owner is a Jerry Jones lite, the Browns are improved the minute they are rid of Hue, as people in this forum have been saying for months.

I'll take Haley or old Bounty Gate. They're both going to lobby for the HC job why not let one have an audition.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Let the Coordinators do their thing, this is the correct choice.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I will coach the Browns and I will do it for league minimum.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

do coaches have a minimum salary i would imagine not. they love bootlickin

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

100 dollars

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

My Joe Thomas Jersey arrived!!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Joe Thomas played for the Bengals

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Mods???

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Joey Porter coached for the Bengals

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Real talk. What if the Patriots make the post season and Bill throws a dump truck of money at Joe Thomas to Offensive Line....

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Gatts posted:

Real talk. What if the Patriots make the post season and Bill throws a dump truck of money at Joe Thomas to Offensive Line....

I'd cry, but I don't think he's going to come out of retirement.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I dreamt last night that the Ravens lost today 39-6.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Flikken posted:

I'd cry, but I don't think he's going to come out of retirement.

That and I'm not sure he could put back on the 80 pounds he lost. Dude is a shell of what he was beginning of last year.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Joe Thomas shouldn't come back to being a player, that would be really really unhealthy for him. But something that seems possible to me would be O line coach? No idea if he's even interested, he's probably happy to be out of the whole system and doing his own thing but if not he'd make a great position coach.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hot take: The Browns D is going to get absolutely shithoused by the Chiefs next week.

Also: RIP Hue :woop:

schmug
May 20, 2007

wait, what?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

schmug posted:

wait, what?

Hue is fired.

schmug
May 20, 2007

hell yeah

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1056936865939537923

schmug fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 29, 2018

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Problems with Browns are deeper than Hue, but I haven't followed the team enough to have a good opinion of why he sucked.

What does he have, 3 wins in as many years?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Way past time to move on imo. He never, ever gave that team the best chance to win possible. In fact he actively got in its way

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Imagine being the coach that wasted the immense talents of Deshone Kizer

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thank you Steelers for getting another Browns coach fired.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Thank you Steelers for getting another Browns coach fired.

6 consecutive fired after losing in Pgh

Play
Apr 25, 2006

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

6 consecutive fired after losing in Pgh

Well when you compare this game to the one at the beginning of the season, it's pretty clear that one team has gotten better (like good teams do as the season goes on) and one has gotten worse. So it's a reasonable time to fire someone imo.

Have you ever noticed that truly good teams with good coaching staffs always improve towards the back half of the season? Whereas fake good teams are usually falling apart by this time, just as the Browns are. There is a real difference there, and it's just as we expected that even if they struggled early, teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Saints, Rams, Panthers . . . they always get better as the season goes on. Whereas teams that don't have that quality and consistency in coaching tend to get worse.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I guess it’s safe to say the Browns are Real Good now and will win out.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
'Steelers get better as the year goes on' is more that they are usually comically under prepared the first few weeks and coasting on talent.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Imagine being the coach that wasted the immense talents of Deshone Kizer

He also said “trust me” when he got Cody Kessler.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

'Steelers get better as the year goes on' is more that they are usually comically under prepared the first few weeks and coasting on talent.

It's because not one of their important starters play a single significant snap in preseason, so it takes the entire month of September for the team to get timing and on field communications to gel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Haley out as well. What the gently caress? Why would you do this all while trying to build up a rookie QB?