Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Frightening Knight posted:

If you don't I'm going to queue a ban for you.

Yeah, no problem, I could post travel cat pics all day every day. I'm dooming the human race to extinction but at least I take a bunch of photos doing it.

Here is a cat from mexico city, who was the current most recent international cat I've met:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Pretty sad that all the pussy you’re gonna get in Germany will be paid for.

Are American cats so usually repulsed by you that you have to go abroad, to pay in order to pet a cat? You give off a huge white male tourist in Thailand vibe.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGameVet posted:

Nuclear Energy is just like Communism, it just hasn't been done right yet.

Feel free to theorycraft a fossil fuel free world without nuclear power then. The alternative is "solar, wind, and a lead-acid battery the size of Oklahoma", which I don't think we've priced out just yet.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Pretty sad that all the pussy you’re gonna get in Germany will be paid for.

Are American cats so usually repulsed by you that you have to go abroad, to pay in order to pet a cat? You give off a huge white male tourist in Thailand vibe.

There is a cat that lives in my apartment parking lot and almost every morning it's on top of my car and I have to move it to a lawn chair that is set up, but sometimes it will be in the chair already and it will run over and sit on my car because it loves being moved so much.

(also, you are trying to make a mean sex joke, but I think the same thing, not meeting a cat organically is 100% a huge fear of mine, I plan a ton of my travel time to make sure I'm outside the tourist areas and make sure I will be going to real places that would have cats around, but I also plan a cat cafe as a fail state. Montreal canada is the only time I had to use it though. I will go to pee pee's cat cafe though this time even if I see a cat naturally because the name is the best and I need to be able to say I went there)

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is a cat that lives in my apartment parking lot and almost every morning it's on top of my car and I have to move it to a lawn chair that is set up, but sometimes it will be in the chair already and it will run over and sit on my car because it loves being moved so much.

(also, you are trying to make a mean sex joke, but I think the same thing, not meeting a cat organically is 100% a huge fear of mine, I plan a ton of my travel time to make sure I'm outside the tourist areas and make sure I will be going to real places that would have cats around, but I also plan a cat cafe as a fail state. Montreal canada is the only time I had to use it though. I will go to pee pee's cat cafe though this time even if I see a cat naturally because the name is the best and I need to be able to say I went there)

I got scratched by a cat outside of Meteora in Greece and even though I worked for a medical relief organisation I had a hell of a time getting rabies immunoglobulin. So, I guess I hope you're vaccinated. Cats are cool and all.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
scientiests in the research division of the BANG-SWADS (because they're uh... navy-seal genomics researchers or something) are working on developing a weaponized form of toxoplasmosis. when exposed to the background radiation levels of being at 30kft for more than 6 hours it mutates into cat-ebola.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Christ this thread is just full of nothing matters sad sacks, more so than usual.

Individuals can enact real change regarding the environment. Last month I started a campaign to get all the plastic coffee stirrers replaced with recycled paper coffee stirrers. I also got them to stop buying individually wrapped plastic utensils and just buy them in a box(I know this isn't perfect, but any reduction in cellophane waste is important, plus the plastic silverware is the type that is recyclable). Think about where you work. Do employees recycle stuff regularly? Do you use paper cups for coffee instead of ceramic mugs? A lot can be done to make an impact and start changing the social consciousness of people and that then translates to them making enviro-friendly choices of their own. It is all a domino effect and it compounds rapidly. All these changes turn into global institutional changes because ideas are infectious. Instead of going "woe is me" why not get in the trenches with the rest of us who are trying to fix poo poo?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Is anyone else wistfully hopeful that stellarators, AI, and quantum computing will actually drop by their proposed 2030 schedules and help usher in a sea change as radical as the Industrial Revolution? Unlimited free sustainable energy and the ability to do sickeningly complicated simulations could really make a difference.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

SlimGoodbody posted:

Is anyone else wistfully hopeful that stellarators, AI, and quantum computing will actually drop by their proposed 2030 schedules and help usher in a sea change as radical as the Industrial Revolution? Unlimited free sustainable energy and the ability to do sickeningly complicated simulations could really make a difference.

Interesting in theory, but, personally, I'm much more hopeful that whatever apocalyptic event that turns the world into Shadowrun occurs instead. I'm ready to become a wizard.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

friendbot2000 posted:

Christ this thread is just full of nothing matters sad sacks, more so than usual.

Individuals can enact real change regarding the environment. Last month I started a campaign to get all the plastic coffee stirrers replaced with recycled paper coffee stirrers. I also got them to stop buying individually wrapped plastic utensils and just buy them in a box(I know this isn't perfect, but any reduction in cellophane waste is important, plus the plastic silverware is the type that is recyclable). Think about where you work. Do employees recycle stuff regularly? Do you use paper cups for coffee instead of ceramic mugs? A lot can be done to make an impact and start changing the social consciousness of people and that then translates to them making enviro-friendly choices of their own. It is all a domino effect and it compounds rapidly. All these changes turn into global institutional changes because ideas are infectious. Instead of going "woe is me" why not get in the trenches with the rest of us who are trying to fix poo poo?

look I'm the one who spent like 50 pages arguing *in favor* of individual action, so I feel like I have some leg to stand on here in pointing out: thats like the most inane poo poo you could waste time talking to someone about (campaigning, advocating, whatever).

math matters, and math says: kids -> cars -> flights -> home heating & cooling -> beef.

there is value in using small physically tangible things as a sortof introductory hook toward getting someone to think about and care, so I'm not saying *don't*. just understand that you're engaged in an act of psychological manipulation (for good!) not an act of meaningful conservation.

every ton matters

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 23, 2018

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

i’m merely a lurker, but goddamn i just have to chime in: you are legit top 3 one of the creepiest loving users i’ve seen on SA and i have seen quite a bit

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SlimGoodbody posted:

I don't think you have to be anywhere near that sci-fi about it, you can look at existing trends in wealthy western countries and if you think you see a pattern the clincher is to look and see if japan's already been doing it for a decade.

things like tokyo apartments, hikikomori, "real" life disappearing into tv/movie/cartoon screen-time, population decline.

we don't need AI powered VR we just need 4k tv and the chinese $ version of netflix & amazon studios.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Abel Wingnut posted:

i’m merely a lurker, but goddamn i just have to chime in: you are legit top 3 one of the creepiest loving users i’ve seen on SA and i have seen quite a bit

Do not mock my german pee pee cafe

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

Nuclear Energy is just like Communism, it just hasn't been done right yet.

This but unironically

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
OOCC, go away. You can come back when you have photographic evidence that you visited the kitty cafe in Germany.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

StabbinHobo posted:

look I'm the one who spent like 50 pages arguing *in favor* of individual action, so I feel like I have some leg to stand on here in pointing out: thats like the most inane poo poo you could waste time talking to someone about (campaigning, advocating, whatever).

math matters, and math says: kids -> cars -> flights -> home heating & cooling -> beef.

there is value in using small physically tangible things as a sortof introductory hook toward getting someone to think about and care, so I'm not saying *don't*. just understand that you're engaged in an act of psychological manipulation (for good!) not an act of meaningful conservation.

every ton matters

Oh absolutely, I am just trying to get the ideas spreading with these actions and I have been getting some good results!

A more tangible effort that has to do with conservation is my push for increased flexibility for working from home. I have delivered a couple of pitches to the President of the company that if we allowed an expanded work from home policy they could save money on rent in the building we are in, amenity spending for the kitchens, and a bunch of costs in general. He is looking into a pilot program for next year because I came at him with math and figures. Our company has roughly 460 employees? Imagine if 3/4s didn't commute 25-40 miles every day in a car? If you actually give a poo poo about this issue then you will do something and make changes instead of waiting for someone to magically fix it with a bill.

A lot of the younger generations are already limiting themselves to 1 kid from studies and stats I have seen because we have seen how loving expensive children are. I try to take small vacations to camp instead of plane travel and more and more of my friend group are doing so as well because I have been slowly working on them for years about this poo poo. Micro-changes eventually snowball into macro-changes on a county/state/country level.

Also, my comments were not directed at you StabbinHobo, I appreciate your voice in what seems a nonstop echochamber of nothing matters.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

friendbot2000 posted:

A more tangible effort that has to do with conservation is my push for increased flexibility for working from home. I have delivered a couple of pitches to the President of the company that if we allowed an expanded work from home policy they could save money on rent in the building we are in, amenity spending for the kitchens, and a bunch of costs in general. He is looking into a pilot program for next year because I came at him with math and figures. Our company has roughly 460 employees? Imagine if 3/4s didn't commute 25-40 miles every day in a car? If you actually give a poo poo about this issue then you will do something and make changes instead of waiting for someone to magically fix it with a bill.
this owns.

some napkin math, if we assume a 15 mile commute and 25mpg, and you succeed even in something as moderate as a "one day a week" policy thats 200+ metric tons per year. likely more than 10x your individual footprint. nice scalp.

quote:

Also, my comments were not directed at you StabbinHobo, I appreciate your voice in what seems a nonstop echochamber of nothing matters.
tyvm, this back to back with owl getting told to stfu made my day.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Frightening Knight posted:

OOCC, go away. You can come back when you have photographic evidence that you visited the kitty cafe in Germany.

can you update this to include a video showing a hand petting a cat in a german cat cafe with dialogue that describes the international cat petting habit?

it comes across initially as sort of "reddit cute" but upon reflection the idea of OOCC stalking down alley ways looking for a willing cat is rather disturbing

Sing Along fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 23, 2018

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
I assume this has been pointed out before, but it's no wonder the guy who spends his time globetrotting says individual action is pointless.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

twice burned ice posted:

I assume this has been pointed out before, but it's no wonder the guy who spends his time globetrotting says individual action is pointless.

Oh, yes. It's been going for years; iirc it came to light with the Great Barrier Reef major bleaching reports back in early 2016, when someone - might have been him? - suggested people should travel to enjoy such natural wonders before they disappear.

Thread's response was immediately "what? no, please, there is no irony cat large enough to point out the idiocy of taking transoceanic flights to go visit a natural site that is being destroyed by carbon emissions and unmitigated tourism. Just like, look at pictures and watch documentaries my dude, and leave it well alone."

He then rose to the defense of travel as a leisure activity, explaining how important nay necessary it was to experience other cultures firsthand, the spiritual richness and world-view expanding nature of the experience, and then boasted about his own international cat petting exploits.

So naturally, goons tried to argue, and dug deeper, and deeper, and over the course of 3 years it's become clear to thread regulars that OOCC is a firm believer in:

- Neoliberalism practices as the only realistic way to tackle Climate Change.
- That consumption cannot and should not be curbed.
- If society does not continue to progress towards a capitalist sci-fi utopia, then the "human experiment" should just end.

And he's created this elaborate strawman in his head where everyone who disagrees with him on these points (the near entirety of this thread, by default), and specifically anyone who proposes measures that result in curbing consumerism in a non-abstract way, is some kind of Climate Change Doom Cultist who's looking to punish humanity for their immorality, and control their habits through shame and fear, and also are giant hypocrites who do not target their own wasteful habits as part of this crusade.

This is on top of also being a really bad faith poster who never admits he's wrong, cherry picks through discussions and external materials to prove his points, talks about things he's not actually done proper research on, and pivots discussion towards the above strawman if not simply ignoring posts when directly confronted with facts.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

The Dipshit posted:

Feel free to theorycraft a fossil fuel free world without nuclear power then. The alternative is "solar, wind, and a lead-acid battery the size of Oklahoma", which I don't think we've priced out just yet.

Feel free to pay my excess utility bill to cover the San Onofre "Too Cheap To Meter" Nuke Reactor that SDG&E broke, and while you're at it, please move the waste off my beach and into your backyard.

As to your assertion, one solution is to implement large-scale wind and solar and a smart grid to minimize the need for storage. Heck there are towns in Texas offering free electricity at night from their excess wind power. The potential wind energy in the mainland USA is something like 40x our total consumption.

As to the USA nuclear industry, we can't wait 20-30 years for plants that somehow never quite get running BUT I would like to see existing plants kept online until we replace all the coal and natural gas plants.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
pretty sure i read before that the carbon cost of building nuclear plants would make their implementation a too-little too-late scenario, even if the united states was capable of building anything new other than weapons and perpetually empty "luxury" condominiums

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Oxxidation posted:

pretty sure i read before that the carbon cost of building nuclear plants would make their implementation a too-little too-late scenario, even if the united states was capable of building anything new other than weapons and perpetually empty "luxury" condominiums

this is why we need to embrace and accelerate climate change

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Socks4Hands posted:

this is why we need to embrace and accelerate climate change

there's new coal plants opening worldwide and mcdonald's just decided to start selling quadruple-meat-patty breakfast sandwiches so i think society's well ahead of you on that one

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SlimGoodbody posted:

Real AI would be p. cool, but on the other hand, paperclips.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Oxxidation posted:

there's new coal plants opening worldwide and mcdonald's just decided to start selling quadruple-meat-patty breakfast sandwiches so i think society's well ahead of you on that one

it's a great political position because the most effective praxis is inaction

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I really can't see a way through climate change other than this that doesn't involve a lot of people dying and/or a lot of countries turning into fascist shitholes. I fell like we really need to go for the whole singularity/nanotech/star trek future because all the others seem like they would be way worse than any Dystopian future we can imagine.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

yaffle posted:

I fell like we really need to go for the whole singularity/nanotech/star trek future because all the others seem like they would be way worse than any Dystopian future we can imagine.

This is a fantasy, science is not coming to save us from climate change in time for it to prevent the first sentence of your post. There's no question that fascism is going to be rampant and widespread when poo poo starts going bad, even the comparatively tiny amount of hardship we see now has it popping up all over the place.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

cornucopians pls go

Post-scarcity has always been the greatest fantasy. We had an honest shot at it, and we blew it, because it turns out that human want far outspeeds our ingenuity to get over the limits to growth.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good news everybody, the tech startup vanguard are fuckin *on it* now: http://carbon.ycombinator.com/

edit: for context, if any of you aren't in the tech echo-chamber, "ycombinator" is *the* cultural nexus of 22 year old bro-founders disrupting the universe. while everything about them and this is hyper-stupid, this does at least denote an interesting cultural inflection point. this last ipcc report seems to have been well timed enough to really spur the self-delusional bourgeoisie that think they are good people to start "doing something" about this. I have very low expectations, but its good to at least be progressing onto this phase.

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 24, 2018

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is indistinguishable from parody: http://carbon.ycombinator.com/desert-flooding/

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

ChairMaster posted:

This is a fantasy, science is not coming to save us from climate change in time for it to prevent the first sentence of your post. There's no question that fascism is going to be rampant and widespread when poo poo starts going bad, even the comparatively tiny amount of hardship we see now has it popping up all over the place.

Right, but what do we aim for? What are the other options? I accept that poo poo will go very very bad indeed and that the idea that science will save us might well be bullshit, but what's the plan?
Post - scarcity isn't a thing, but it would be nice to think that post-climate change might be, and that we could get there without doing anything too horrible. When the north Indian plain becomes literally uninhabitable where are all those people and their nuclear armed government going to go?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

yaffle posted:

Right, but what do we aim for? What are the other options? I accept that poo poo will go very very bad indeed and that the idea that science will save us might well be bullshit, but what's the plan?

P E R I S H

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

yaffle posted:

Post - scarcity isn't a thing, but it would be nice to think that post-climate change might be, and that we could get there without doing anything too horrible. When the north Indian plain becomes literally uninhabitable where are all those people and their nuclear armed government going to go?

Assuming modern civilization doesn't completely break down due to war and socioeconomic stress, the expectation is that carbon sequestration projects will eventually return temperatures back to pre-industrial levels.

What we're aiming for is, of course, that civilization doesn't break down to the point where such projects cannot even be undertaken, and to avoid as much suffering as possible for current and future generations by reducing carbon emissions now.

"poo poo's hosed" isn't and has never been a binary.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

Seriously, everyone should read this. It’s amazing.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: poo poo i can't embed the svg

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 24, 2018

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
from the post:

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGameVet posted:

Feel free to pay my excess utility bill to cover the San Onofre "Too Cheap To Meter" Nuke Reactor that SDG&E broke, and while you're at it, please move the waste off my beach and into your backyard.

As to your assertion, one solution is to implement large-scale wind and solar and a smart grid to minimize the need for storage. Heck there are towns in Texas offering free electricity at night from their excess wind power. The potential wind energy in the mainland USA is something like 40x our total consumption.

As to the USA nuclear industry, we can't wait 20-30 years for plants that somehow never quite get running BUT I would like to see existing plants kept online until we replace all the coal and natural gas plants.

Lol, sure, IIRC the NREL estimations still leave us needing to store electricity production capacity of the US for 2-3 days even with all the smart grid work. So, 10 million megawatt hours, give ourselves a safety factor of 2 using a 3 day assumption, so 60 million megawatt hours, which means that if we use a 1kWh deep cycle battery with, oh say about 50% of the cycle depth to keep it living as long as possible, we'll need.... 60,000,000,000,000 Wh translates to 120 billion deep cycle batteries at roughly 20 kg of lead would be, oh ~ 2 million metric tons, which would be *checks notes* about 200 times the world production of lead, needing to be recycled/replaced every 5-7 years or so, just for the US's needs. Feel free to check my math it's late here and maybe I missed something, adjust the assumptions down, or whatever. And before you ask, I'm pretty sure any other battery technology is not cheaper, nor would I expect any of them to get cheaper anytime soon enough to matter. Wanna guess how much you'll pay in this scenario? Heck, replace this with a series of cranes and concrete blocks like has been floating around recently, it's still sobering.

Of course, this does absolutely nothing for the entire transportation network, which is a whole 'nother kettle of worms, and about 1/3 our total energy consumption.

And Yeah, I'm fine with the waste in my backyard, or ideally Yucca mountain, since I used to work at the US's strategic reserve of nuclear materials. I'm used to being around all the weapons grade stuff for my job, and I'm fine. I know the whole "radiation!!" thing is part and parcel of creating an aversion to using nuclear weapons, but I can hope that at least on D&D a person can do a simple, sober analysis of it all.

Like, I get it, nuclear power is squicky or whatever, but this isn't a video game. It's either nuclear or your kids/grandkids living a pastoral life, presuming they survive the crunch coming and don't get killed or eaten as fattened food. Please listen to this DOE nerd. We don't make these statements flippantly.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 24, 2018

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lackmaster posted:

Seriously, everyone should read this. It’s amazing.

I'd still rather have nerds thinking about dumb pie-in-the-sky poo poo that could save the planet as opposed to dumb pie-in-the-sky poo poo like space elevators that exclusively fulfills nerd dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

Socks4Hands posted:

from the post:

This is so much better after a quick google showing that global carbon emissions were 36Gt in the year of 2015.

Great news everybody! We can solve climate change through technology, and we only need to use 0.5 Sahara deserts per year! Oh uh how many Sahara deserts do we have available btw?