Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Glass of Milk posted:

Yay 5 more levels to grind.

This story is so good it doesn't feel like a grind to me, U23 owns

"+5000 Enhanced Reputation Supply x1 with coupon REPUTATION now through October 18th"

The code STARTMINING also still works today for the dwarven miner's helmet, which is a new design

extra stout fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Tomorrow will have a server reset and our first update 23 patch

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7876785#post7876785

Festival begins, most broken stuff is fixed, etc

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

extra stout posted:

Tomorrow will have a server reset and our first update 23 patch

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7876785#post7876785

Festival begins, most broken stuff is fixed, etc

Known Issue: You cannot place a doormat unless you are in a Harvestmath Festival Treats or Trickery costume.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Oh boy, sounds like enemy DPS tweak is making it impossible to do a lot of endgame stuff now. Just when I needed to run the last instance they buff it to kill everybody! :P

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

MadDogMike posted:

Oh boy, sounds like enemy DPS tweak is making it impossible to do a lot of endgame stuff now. Just when I needed to run the last instance they buff it to kill everybody! :P

Luckily that was fixed the other day just to keep people updated.

The LOTRO fundraiser for the Boston children's hospital is live, check the forums for donation rewards or if you're broke or hate children you can still just watch along and join in on some small and free raffles in chat by typing !raffle whenever one is live.

https://www.twitch.tv/lotrostream

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
New progression server announced

https://www.lotro.com/en/legendary

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
That actually tickles my fancy. I really like LOTRO but my problem is that every time I play I get caught up wanting to see everything AND wanting to see the current content. I've never successfully made it past Lothlorien because of this. The prospect of old stuff being "current" and being locked to it actually excites me. I will for sure check this out.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

ukrainius maximus posted:

That actually tickles my fancy. I really like LOTRO but my problem is that every time I play I get caught up wanting to see everything AND wanting to see the current content. I've never successfully made it past Lothlorien because of this. The prospect of old stuff being "current" and being locked to it actually excites me. I will for sure check this out.

This has always been one of my biggest complaints with the vast majority of MMOs. A lot of old school dungeons are really fuckin' great, but you almost always have an hard time finding a group to do it- never mind on-level at that. I hate being pulled through by a high level that just mows everything down for the noobs, especially when I'm trying to get real experience as a tank or healer. This is actually one instance(heh) where WoW actually does poo poo right with it's Dungeon Finder. Even now, old school WoW dungeons pop within minutes- even late at night- if you're trying to level there.

I've played on a few different high-quality private WoW servers, and I always thought the best private server for LotRO would be a level 65 Enedwaith server. Imagine if both the Mirkwood & Ost Dunhoth raid clusters were end game at the same time, while the Moria dungeons would still be a little bit challenging and fun. You could run a different raid instance every night for months and not get bored with it. And now SSG could possibly do it at some point? :circlefap:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Im 100% on board for a legacy server. I've always been interested in the game and going fresh start and starting from vanilla sounds awesome.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

This is insanely ~my thing~.

I know there isn't an official release date yet, but has anybody seen mention of a rough window? (IE: Soon(tm), 2019, after WoW Classic etc.)

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Totally on board for the next exhilarating GOON RUSH

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007

My Man Mollari posted:

I know there isn't an official release date yet, but has anybody seen mention of a rough window? (IE: Soon(tm), 2019, after WoW Classic etc.)

The announcement says this fall I believe, so that should be pretty soon I’d imagine.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

My Man Mollari posted:

November

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOS3_Aw1U3I

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Oh boy. I can't wait to level yet another lore-master!

Thanks for that, guys.

Cringelord
Jul 30, 2018
I used to play LOTRO ages ago and the legendary server is making me want to come back. I think I played a warden and liked the combos. I know the balance might be weird on this server but how much does class choice matter?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
This sounds great and I'll definitely come back for it.

I just have to decide what class. Champion? Or actually learn to tank and try Guardian? I think it might be time to break out the big shields...

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I actually reinstalled the game right before the announcement. I guess I'll wait a few weeks before playing again since that's probably where everyone will be

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Oh my god, My friends and I were on the fence about making this our last MMO hurrah. This is glorious news. I always wished I gave this game a fair shake from day 1. Now I can get close to that at least and run some of the cool dungeons.

EDIT:

.....Unless they pull a Daybreak and make the exp soul crushingly slow just to skim potion sales. I just got a feeling of dread. gently caress.....

Givin fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 25, 2018

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
They got rid of the dread mechanic.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

bentacos posted:

They got rid of the dread mechanic.

That's not true at all, it just hasn't been used in any of the post-Gondor zones.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Oh poo poo, I'm thinking of the thing you'd have for an hour after getting defeated

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Prism posted:

This sounds great and I'll definitely come back for it.

I just have to decide what class. Champion? Or actually learn to tank and try Guardian? I think it might be time to break out the big shields...

Guardian is pretty easy compared to being a good warden tank, and champions lost their shields so don't play them to tank.

I think it'll be a fun idea as long as the purists don't complain about all the changes.

Another patch is coming today, most of it is good news for level 115-120s and not relevant for low levels.
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7880513#post7880513

And I updated the OP by cutting outdated information, refreshing the active officer list and adding a poorly cropped image for update 23!

extra stout fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 25, 2018

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I'm tempted to hop in for the progression server but it's VIP only - I generally prefer to buy new update content once rather than have a sub left running for months when I'm not on. Plus, ugh, 40-50 is the worst part of LOTRO.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

extra stout posted:

Guardian is pretty easy compared to being a good warden tank, and champions lost their shields so don't play them to tank.

I think it'll be a fun idea as long as the purists don't complain about all the changes.

Yeah, by 'break out the big shields' I meant try Guardian. My character on the live server is a Champ so I don't know that I want to do it again, but I've never done much with a Guardian. Simple and straightforward isn't necessarily a bad thing!

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I'll wait for a more detailed FAQ or for them to maybe answer more questions about gameplay. I really want this to be a cool thing but so many times before these kinds of servers just have nasty surprises that they forgot to mention. I don't mind the VIP thing, that's how I play MMOs anyway. I just don't want a situation where you have to pay for VIP only to find out you're leveling slower or you're weaker just because cash shop potions or services.

And I hate being this cautious about it. drat. If it is shady, I may play live after all. I also wish now SSG would do an all access thing with VIP where you get LotRO and DDO subs for one price.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

I’ve just gotten my Minstrel (Quantiel) to West Rohan and now signature mobs are totally kicking my rear end. The embarrassing part is that I’m so over level for the area the mobs in question are grey (I’m at level 94 - I go slow and play for the story).

I have seen some posts on the forum that suggest the area is a little unbalanced but I think it’s likely I’m doing something wrong - any ideas? I assume it’s a gear issue of some sort.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 4, 2020

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

puberty worked me over posted:

...does anyone happen to know if there's now enough dungeon/instanced/scripted content to level up purely on?
No. There's too many level gaps between dungeons, and it can be really tough to get anything going for anything other than the newer content.

For instance, I have a 67 Dwarf Guardian who's gimmick is that he just does Dwarven stuff + Epics. He still has quests for some of the Moria dungeons(some of the best content in the game) + related deeds. He's permanently parked and largely abandoned in the 21st Hall because it's basically impossible to get groups for the 54-65 level Moria/Lothlorien instances more than once in a blue moon. Plus, I hardly ever even play LotRO much anymore. :iiam:

Like is there a dungeon finder and can you easily be teleported to the content?
They did make an Instance Finder type thing, but this game's player base is too stubborn/stupid/whatever to actually use it reliably like WoW's players do. Everyone forms their groups in /World, and then they launch the dungeon. As I said upthread, I'm a huge fan of WoW's Dungeon Finder and I really wish that Lotro's players would actually use the loving thing in the same way.

LoTRO is an extremely rich game in terms of scripted content and environment design but all of the idiot stuff you have to do between those bits is tedious at best.
Different strokes and all that, but it sounds like you're looking for another game. The immersive, overland questing and stories are LotRO's main selling points.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
I’m on the fence about legendary server honestly, I don’t have any real nostalgia for “how things used to be” seeing as how I just started this year, and starting Yet Another Alt from square one makes me leery. Not to mention I’d miss all the new cool areas; Eriador is kinda eh, especially with Angmar as the”endgame” area for the server (LOATH that place, never done it except to get talent point except with my hunter).

Meander posted:

I’ve just gotten my Minstrel (Quantiel) to West Rohan and now signature mobs are totally kicking my rear end. The embarrassing part is that I’m so over level for the area the mobs in question are grey (I’m at level 94 - I go slow and play for the story).

I have seen some posts on the forum that suggest the area is a little unbalanced but I think it’s likely I’m doing something wrong - any ideas? I assume it’s a gear issue of some sort.

Are you fighting mounted? A lot of characters, especially those without good saddle legendary, are much worse mounted than they are just zapping the bastards on foot.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

At least we'd only have to tolerate Angmar for 4 months, from what I've read.

I just hope this doesn't significantly drain the populations of the existing servers. Especially to the point that it necessitates mergers, because it will be a cold day in hell before I share pipe weed with one of those Brandywine heathens!

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Mount speed boost is on sale again. Worth getting the fastest speed unlock if you have the coins to spare as it's account wide and applies to all mounts you ever own. No more selecting a mount that doesn't go with your outfit just because it's 10% faster than the perfect match!

Is West Rohan where the mobs suddenly have maximum resistance stats? If so then you'll want to gear for countering that.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Every time I think that I'd like a classic or legendary server, I think about what my typical alt experience is like.

At start: this is fun!
Approx. Level 8: Christ, I don't wanna do this for 100 more levels.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Age of Conan is doing temporary progression servers with exclusive cosmetics for completing event achievements, where your toon transfers back to a normal server afterwards. One of the things about the legendary server that's off putting to me is that the toon would be segregated from the rest of my account which I've already invested a lot in. If at some point these could be consolidated that'd be an appealing way to make an alt, but yeah, I really don't feel like starting from complete scratch for the long haul. But if a lot of people do then good for the devs for recognizing it.

Ossipago fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 29, 2018

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Thanks guys - I stopped trying to kill things while mounted and I upgraded my LIs. My gear is otherwise awful (quest rewards and some rep items) but it’s back to being playable again so I can carry on with the story which is all I want to do.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Ossipago posted:

Age of Conan is doing temporary progression servers with exclusive cosmetics for completing event achievements, where your toon transfers back to a normal server afterwards. One of the things about the legendary server that's off putting to me is that the toon would be segregated from the rest of my account which I've already invested a lot in. If at some point these could be consolidated that'd be an appealing way to make an alt, but yeah, I really don't feel like starting from complete scratch for the long haul. But if a lot of people do then good for the devs for recognizing it.

The FAQ says you can transfer your character off when the server catches up with the live servers.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The FAQ says you can transfer your character off when the server catches up with the live servers.

LOTRO just had its 9th level cap increase, so depending on the pace of new updates and how they treat patches that added new zones but didn't increase level cap it's technically possible this could happen as early as late 2021!

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 29, 2018

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

jalapeno_dude posted:

LOTRO just had its 9th level cap increase, so depending on the pace of new updates and how they treat patches that added new zones but didn't increase level cap it's technically possible this could happen as early as late 2021!

This is pretty standard with progression servers? The only progression server I know of that ran faster than that was the aforementioned Age of Conan one - but keep in mind, Age of Conan had like, one expansion ever. Of course progressing through that would take less time.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I missed that. That's good, but yeah, that's going to be about 5 years from now. The game will be 16 years old then. I wonder what they'll do at that point, restart the legendary server from Angmar again?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I'm enjoying the 120 content too much to care a lot about this but if they want this to keep all of the subscribers it's looking like it'll get at launch: Limit the Rohan period to like six weeks. Also keep in mind you need VIP just to log on the legendary server, so everyone has not only rested experience but many of them will also have those exp boosting pocket items from pre-ordering? Rohan, Helm's Deep etc. I've got like three of these on every character I make.

If you enjoy the quests the game is based around, just play the live servers. If you want to raid old content, it's going to be easy and some people will be farming it in like five days. Before most people get to level 35 there will be some dudes farming stat tomes waiting four months for Moria to unlock.

And if they enable PVP, which they really need to I'm absolutely making a bear and the creeps will log off before my morale hits half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
https://massivelyop.com/2018/11/01/lotros-progression-server-may-slow-down-experience-gain-and-thats-a-good-thing/

I'm out. Might as well just play live. They'll Daybreak the poo poo out of this. I have zero confidence that a team this small can get this right. See again, Daybreak. Their TLP leveling experience is awful.

Givin fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 1, 2018