Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

I wish the little prop stand on the back had a larger angle you could use, even like fifteen more degrees would be ideal

It is the weakest part of the system. Even though tabletop must be a distant third place usage mode, it's surprisingly crappy. That and the pro dpad are my only Switch Gripes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Ciaphas posted:

I wish the little prop stand on the back had a larger angle you could use, even like fifteen more degrees would be ideal

Mine came loose and I removed it a few weeks ago. It would stay on but inevitably get loose and bug me.

Free ballin'!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Someone wished Digital Foundry would do an evaluation of the new Wolfenstein 2 patch for the Switch. There's nothing yet, but someone else did a comparison video at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWT6L4353Pk

It’s pretty darn impressive for an update. Panic Button rules.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 23, 2018

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

It really stinks. There isn't a whole lot I'd want them to change for the inevitable Switch refresh, but a Surface-style kickstand would be so nice.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

In Octopath is there much reason to keep multiple rolling save slots? Been a long time since that sort of thing's been necessary in games I guess but I still get worried about being a Dead Man Walking

Not that I have ever heard, everything is open from the start. It's more not getting squished on the way which should make the speed runs silly if it ever happened.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

LethalGeek posted:

Not that I have ever heard, everything is open from the start. It's more not getting squished on the way which should make the speed runs silly if it ever happened.

righto!

two more quick octopath questions. is the "reputation" penalty for failing at Scrutiny or whatever that big a deal? and, if I have (i'm bad with names) merchant girl, otherwise-suave book dork i wanna shove in a locker, and generically sweet pious lady, who should I get for my 4th character :v:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you fail at too many "rogue" path actions - scrutinize, steal, provoke, and allure - then you lose the ability to attempt all path actions within that town until you go to the bar and pay to have your reputation restored. The price of this restoration varies from town to town and you don't get to see what it is until you need it. Some places are really expensive, some are only in the low four digits. Once you pay, it's like it never happened and you get five more strikes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

righto!

two more quick octopath questions. is the "reputation" penalty for failing at Scrutiny or whatever that big a deal? and, if I have (i'm bad with names) merchant girl, otherwise-suave book dork i wanna shove in a locker, and generically sweet pious lady, who should I get for my 4th character :v:

You have to get all 8 if you want to play all the main stories in the game and if you want to do the final dungeon and beat the games true final boss all 8 characters will need to be leveled so expect to rotate characters regularly if you want to do that.

You can unlock the slot your main occupies by beating their chapter 4.

Olberin is superior to Haanit as your fourth path option, but youre headed towards Haanit anyway and youll get all 8 regardless so who cares.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Barudak posted:

You have to get all 8 if you want to play all the main stories in the game and if you want to do the final dungeon and beat the games true final boss all 8 characters will need to be leveled so expect to rotate characters regularly if you want to do that.

You can unlock the slot your main occupies by beating their chapter 4.

Olberin is superior to Haanit as your fourth path option, but youre headed towards Haanit anyway and youll get all 8 regardless so who cares.

Ah, I'd thought it was more of a "pick 4 characters, finish the game, do it again" sort of thing somehow. Woulda realized that if I'd play instead of asking questions I guess :v:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Starlink question: how is the Nadir? It's the only ship I'm missing since I went digital, but it looks like it would make a good 'bomber'

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Ah, I'd thought it was more of a "pick 4 characters, finish the game, do it again" sort of thing somehow. Woulda realized that if I'd play instead of asking questions I guess :v:

The prehype for the game and its narrative were very misleading. The game is 8 stories that have no connection to each other until the post game dungeon, which is so badly designed just look up the lore dump instead of slogging through it unless you both love grinding and have hours to spend refighting bosses you already beat.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
So I bought a switch and got Mario Kart 8 and Overcooked 2 so I'd have something to play with my girlfriend, but I feel they're better served as multiplayer games.

Are there any good pick up and play for a little while and then put down type of games? Something where I can just play for a bit but still make progress? I realize this is a bit of a broad question, but I'd love suggestions.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

CommaToes posted:

So I bought a switch and got Mario Kart 8 and Overcooked 2 so I'd have something to play with my girlfriend, but I feel they're better served as multiplayer games.

Are there any good pick up and play for a little while and then put down type of games? Something where I can just play for a bit but still make progress? I realize this is a bit of a broad question, but I'd love suggestions.

I've got Starlink on the brain since it's a week old but it's exactly that kind of 'short bursts' game. It has split screen co-op too, maybe relevant.

You're about to get a load of really good suggestions tho

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Barudak posted:

The prehype for the game and its narrative were very misleading. The game is 8 stories that have no connection to each other until the post game dungeon, which is so badly designed just look up the lore dump instead of slogging through it unless you both love grinding and have hours to spend refighting bosses you already beat.

yeah I just got through character 4 and as seems to happen more often lately I regret buying in

I just don't like RPGs anymore it seems, DQ11 on PC is similarly languishing despite my best honest efforts

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dragon quest 11 has the slowest start of a game i've played since the first trails in the sky

it plays cliches so straight i could hang a painting with them

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

CommaToes posted:

Stardew, Mario Van Rabbids, Binding of Isaac, Dead Cells, Into the Breach, Golf Story.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Oxxidation posted:

dragon quest 11 has the slowest start of a game i've played since the first trails in the sky

it plays cliches so straight i could hang a painting with them

Just you wait, friendo.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TWEWY being just as good as I remember it and even a little better is such a nice surprise. I really hope we finally get a 2 or game similar to it because man it's fun to just play and mess around with different attacks. Hell the story is really good too- there's almost no filler or fluff, it just gets to the chase minus like... a single day I can think of.

I want the power to be discovered finally. I don't want it to be unknown anymore

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can't be slower than DQ7

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

TWEWY being just as good as I remember it and even a little better is such a nice surprise. I really hope we finally get a 2 or game similar to it because man it's fun to just play and mess around with different attacks. Hell the story is really good too- there's almost no filler or fluff, it just gets to the chase minus like... a single day I can think of.

I want the power to be discovered finally. I don't want it to be unknown anymore

was TWEWY really that much of an unknown, though

also nomura should not be allowed to start a new project, preferably ever again

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oxxidation posted:

was TWEWY really that much of an unknown, though

also nomura should not be allowed to start a new project, preferably ever again

I'd say TWEWY is a pretty unknown game. I don't think it ever did that well for whatever reason and most people only know about it because it's OST is amazing.

That being said I was just making a joke about Twister as the song usually ends with a chant of "That Power is Yet Unknown" over and over again :v:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sakurazuka posted:

Can't be slower than DQ7

DQ gets started relatively quickly.

It just doesn’t really care about the main plot

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Can't be slower than DQ7

Also Kingdom Hearts II’s legendarily long, boring opening.
DQXI has you out in the world within an hour, and your first party member and crafting capability not long after that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-64/Banjo-Kazooie-269415.html

So Banjo Kazooie just showed up on Nintendos Website.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I can't find the last memory on the list (the one with just forest trees). I looked up where apples are found and searched Hyrule Field and Necluda but to no avail. And I can only find Pickago at Kakariko Village.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-64/Tony-Hawk-s-Pro-Skater-2-269767.html

So Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 just showed up on Nintendos Website.

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010

:banjo: :vince:
Whether its Banjo being added to smash bros or the old Banjo games coming to switch in some form, I am 100% jiggy with hype

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I mean I get being a smart-rear end and all but I thought it was interesting given the fact they don't own Rare anymore :shrug:

Like honestly I'll eat the L if this is normal because I don't usually pay too much attention but I feel one is more surprising to see than the other here.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Oh my fuckin god

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Someone wished Digital Foundry would do an evaluation of the new Wolfenstein 2 patch for the Switch. There's nothing yet, but someone else did a comparison video at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWT6L4353Pk

That's incredible.

Why though?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I mean I get being a smart-rear end and all but I thought it was interesting given the fact they don't own Rare anymore :shrug:

Like honestly I'll eat the L if this is normal because I don't usually pay too much attention but I feel one is more surprising to see than the other here.
I'm pretty sure most every game is already on the site if you search for it. I don't think anything "just" showed up, but I could be wrong.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Really hope they toss SNES and N64 game to the online service instead of this being for an N64 classic.

But this is totally an N64 classic.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Yeah, for the N64

Barudak
May 7, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Why though?

Microsoft and Nintendo have had a decent relationship as of late; see Minecraft on switch. Probably an N64 classic or tie in to Banjo in Smash or something else equally dumb.

Who exactly is still in market to buy a lovely platformer thats been re-released several times is a mystery to me but this is the Switch thread and a pile of people will come tumbling out to inexplicably buy this game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

gently caress yeah, Tony Hawk confirmed for Smash, finally a good character.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

nintendo.co.uk just has a database of games for some reason. seriously, look at it, there are a bunch of random games and it doesn't mean anything

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

egum bogum

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

American McGay posted:

I'm pretty sure most every game is already on the site if you search for it. I don't think anything "just" showed up, but I could be wrong.

I checked for Turok, and only the third and fifth game show up along with Perfect Dark.

I thought it might just be a large catalog of anything released for their consoles but some stuff is missing? It's probably nothing anyway.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Barudak posted:

Who exactly is still in market to buy a lovely platformer thats been re-released several times is a mystery to me but this is the Switch thread and a pile of people will come tumbling out to inexplicably buy this game.

No need to poo poo on Dark Souls chat like that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

American McGay posted:

It was apparently added 3 days ago and just updated to become visible, least that's what some other sites I've been to are saying. Perfect Dark also showed up along Banjo but Blast Corps and Goldeneye aren't there so :shrug:
Iunno, not trying to imply it means anything just "neat".