Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Oops, sorry for the confusion. Yes, I meant nationalized banking and internet. Thank you to others for clarifying for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

leftist heap posted:

lol this is one heck of an angle.

I believe this was the stated position during the Harper years.

It continues to be astounding the outsized power that the oil industry has in politics relative to its actual economic size.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

THC posted:

federal government confirms, Surrey LRT funds can go to Skytrain instead :swoon:

Yessssssssssssss

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I wish the Conservatives had some sort of actual moral values so they would be effective in opposition and rake JT over the coals for poo poo like this instead of positing memes about the India Trip for the next 9 months

https://twitter.com/mtlgazette/status/1054849338076217344

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

leftist heap posted:

lol this is one heck of an angle.

It's pretty clear that the LPC wants to use carbon pricing as a wedge going into next election. Given the seats they need to protect vs. where the CPC wants to make gains, and how dire the news has been about climate change lately, it's probably not the worst strategy. The CPC is not even remotely credible on climate change and isn't even particularly coy about it.

let's see what message the NDP is putting out in regards to climate change

https://twitter.com/ndp/status/1054784709551517696?s=21

I'm the sad orca

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
im the folding bike

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

I wish the Conservatives had some sort of actual moral values so they would be effective in opposition and rake JT over the coals for poo poo like this instead of positing memes about the India Trip for the next 9 months

Just follow this guy

https://twitter.com/gmbutts/status/558031167837179906

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

the liberals/conservatives are the continuation of conservatives/liberals by other means

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

lol. political hacks have no integrity whatsoever

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

THC posted:

federal government confirms, Surrey LRT funds can go to Skytrain instead :swoon:

Outsider question time: why does everybody hate the idea of an LRT vs Skytrain?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

LRT is no better than buses only, while being almost as expensive as skytrain. It's slow, much lower capacity than skytrain, and subject to whatever happens on the road (construction, crashes, traffic, etc). Also LRT in Calgary has killed 2 people in the last like couple months alone. The reason the Surrey First mayor/council (and the Surrey Borad of Trade, etc) wanted LRT was because they felt skytrain would just let people leave Surrey faster and make it a primarily bedroom community for the city. They wanted Surrey to be a "destination" and to be entirely separate.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The BRT option also lets you go to White Rock for the same money, it's really a no-brainer except for the people of Surrey First.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DariusLikewise posted:

Oddly enough Scheer was on CBC news saying the LAV arms deal is a loving joke and its crazy we deal with Saudi Arabia with their human rights history.

Pretty hosed up when the cons are owning you (trudeau)

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
I have this strange feeling that Motkaluk is going to win in Winnipeg tomorrow and Schreyer will keep his seat despite being inarguably useless and then a part of me will die.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Mostly unrelated but the LRT in Calgary is fantastic even if it killed people who walked in front of it. Maybe it's because I've only ever lived in smaller cities like Regina, Saskatoon and Kamloops but it's good enough that I wouldn't drive if I didn't have to for my car and I take it any time I need to go downtown.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

what a petty little poo poo https://twitter.com/ColinDMello/status/1054860601808314368

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

CLAM DOWN posted:

They wanted Surrey to be a "destination" and to be entirely separate.

It’s been a few years since I last lived in the lower mainland, but... ahahahahahahahaha

Ahahahahahaahahahahaha

Ahahahahaahhahahhahashhahahhahahahahahha

That’s fantastic.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BGrifter posted:

It’s been a few years since I last lived in the lower mainland, but... ahahahahahahahaha

Ahahahahahaahahahahaha

Ahahahahaahhahahhahashhahahhahahahahahha

That’s fantastic.

I know, I kept Surrey jokes out of my description but....lol yeah

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

So they are switching from LRT to skytrain for the extension to Langley but keeping the LRT within Surrey? (the Newton-Guilford one)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

It's okay, the middle aged OPC voter base has no need for more universities. Pure FYGM pandering.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
it's okay we don't need an educated workforce but we do need business handouts and tax cuts, those must be kept at all costs

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I know, I kept Surrey jokes out of my description but....lol yeah

The way you played it straight was perfect and made it much funnier.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

zapplez posted:

Oddly enough Scheer was on CBC news saying the LAV arms deal is a loving joke and its crazy we deal with Saudi Arabia with their human rights history.

Pretty hosed up when the cons are owning you (trudeau)

If you're referring to the questions he was asked after responding to the Liberal Carbon Tax plan he said absolutely nothing about the LAV deal and deflected the question about 6 times with an ethical oil talking point and then got laughed at after he left.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/MikeSmythNews/status/1054902395170222080
RIP federal new dems.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

I'll defend Surrey's LRT plan even though I do think that the Skytrain and BRT plan is a good plan as well.

LRT vs Skytrain as a direct technology comparison is pretty dumb because they're both good at different things. LRT due to its low station infrastructure costs is great if you want to have many accessible stations and frequent stops. Skytrain with higher speeds and more expensive station infrastructure is good for more nodal system with fewer stations joining further away locations. If you're looking at the problem of intra city travel, such as in Surrey's case, between the Newton and Guildford town centres, LRT makes a lot of sense. If you're looking at longer distance intercity travel, such as between Richmond and Vancouver, Skytrain makes more sense.

Surrey's main problem they want to solve is to move people around Surrey and connect the disconnected town centres in their municipality. This is why LRT makes sense for them and why they were pushing it. This is also pretty consistent with commuting patterns. Around 45% of Surrey residents work in the city itself and only 13% commute all the way into Vancouver. In Langley almost 50% work in Langley with another 25% commuting to Surrey and only 6% going into Vancouver. This is clearly not a commuting pattern that necessarily demands we connect Surrey and Langley to the rapid transit pipeline to funnel them into Vancouver, because they're not doing that right now. Langley is in more favour of Skytrain because of course they see no benefit from intracity Surrey transit and they'd appreciate the faster connection into Surrey.

The other thing worth mentioning is BRT, which is a good option that's nearly as good as LRT and this is what Skytrain proponents would like to have for the Newton to Guildford connection alongside Skytrain to Langley. The only real problem with this and why I think Surrey urban planners and politicians wanted LRT is because LRT is more permanent while with BRT it would be easy for a future cost cutting politician (like say Doug McCallum) to come in and shut BRT down.

Really the big winner out of switching from LRT to Skytrain isn't Surrey residents, but rather Langley ones. Do Newton and Guildford residents know that if Surrey switches to Skytrain they um, don't actually get a Skytrain stop? I wonder how much disinformation is out there, because from what I've seen it seems like there's a lot of ignorance. IMO just as Langley residents are better off with this Skytrain switch, the Surrey residents not along that Fraser Highway line will be worse off.

Some of the complaining I've seen online seems to come from a Surrey inferiority complex where people are demanding Skytrain because they want the same system that Vancouver has and not some "cheap, loser second tier system". Of course as I explained earlier that's not what is going on and in fact LRT is the best system for certain applications. In fact the City of Vancouver has long term plans to use LRT for its intracity transportation network to complement its Skytrain system that connects it with the other adjacent municipalities.

Normy posted:

So they are switching from LRT to skytrain for the extension to Langley but keeping the LRT within Surrey? (the Newton-Guilford one)

That would be the best option but no as far as I've heard the plan would be the Skytrain to Langley, and BRT from Newton to Guildford option. However McCallum seems so focused on Skytrain I don't even know if BRT is in the picture at this point. For BRT to work as effectively as LRT it needs dedicated lanes independent of regular traffic just like LRT, and McCallum strikes me as the sort of suburban conservative that would be wildly against that. He might just want "more buses." We'll see.

I think people are getting a bit excited too quickly on this. Skytrain to Langley was an undesirable option in the first place due to cost and there's a funding gap to make up. While the Feds are happy to play ball, their funding commitment was for a specific LRT project, and some new project would have to be renegotiated.

https://twitter.com/CBCEarlyEdition/status/1054738796711862278

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1054847399510781952?s=21

North Shore mayors are clearly wanting transit action sooner than later. There's a risk here that Surrey has gone back to square one on this and a more organized North Shore could out manoeuvre them and grab that transit expansion funding.

Personally what I think Surrey/Langley should have done is taken the sure thing LRT dollars that were on the table, then start lobbying to find the extra money to upgrade the LRT Fraser Hwy line to Skytrain.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 24, 2018

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Having a loving Winnipeg Jets game vs Toronto today along with a goddamn concert beforehand and tons of media attention? This is going to take tons of chuds away from voting because MUH FUKKEN TEAM.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1055104796288524288?s=19

:thunk:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Vintersorg posted:

Having a loving Winnipeg Jets game vs Toronto today along with a goddamn concert beforehand and tons of media attention? This is going to take tons of chuds away from voting because MUH FUKKEN TEAM.

It would be hilarious if Open P+M won because a bunch of assholes stayed home watching the Jets instead of voting

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Holy cow

I’d actually prefer if Bernier didn’t show himself to be this dumb right away so he can survive long enough to split the conservative vote

Starks fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 24, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Starks posted:

Holy cow

I’d actually prefer if Bernier didn’t show himself to be this dumb right away so he can survive long enough to split the conservative vote

I don't know why you think it would in any way affect his electability with the sort of people who would vote for Bernier.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Starks posted:

Holy cow

He's actually not alone on this, "CO2 is actually natural and good for the planet" has been a climate change denial talking point for a while and a lot of his potential voters either already believe something along these lines or are already susceptible to believe it because it aligns with a lot of the other beliefs their ideology holds.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

vyelkin posted:

He's actually not alone on this, "CO2 is actually natural and good for the planet" has been a climate change denial talking point for a while and a lot of his potential voters either already believe something along these lines or are already susceptible to believe it because it aligns with a lot of the other beliefs their ideology holds.

I'd love to put anyone who thinks this into a room filled with nothing but CO2 for a while and have them tell me how natural and good it is.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/fordnation/status/1055091306102349824

Oh wow, maybe repealing that labour policy was less popular than anticipated, huh?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

infernal machines posted:

Oh wow, maybe repealing that labour policy was less popular than anticipated, huh?

Hell yes

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

It has begun

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ford government gets death threats after freezing minimum wage

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Godinster posted:

Mostly unrelated but the LRT in Calgary is fantastic even if it killed people who walked in front of it. Maybe it's because I've only ever lived in smaller cities like Regina, Saskatoon and Kamloops but it's good enough that I wouldn't drive if I didn't have to for my car and I take it any time I need to go downtown.

It's true! It could use some improvements but overall it's a very good service, and extremely loving superior to all of Calgary Transit's bus services by orders of magnitude.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Starks posted:

No, this is precisely how he splits the conservative vote. As was mentioned, that particular voter base actually believes that CO2 is not bad.

e: case study, typical conservative voter:

https://twitter.com/edward_ecurry/status/1055118400689586177

Jan fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jan posted:

No, this is precisely how he splits the conservative vote. As was mentioned, that particular voter base actually believes that CO2 is not bad.

e: case study, typical conservative voter:

https://twitter.com/edward_ecurry/status/1055118400689586177

It's true, now conservatives can split their votes between the two mainstream conservative positions on climate change: 1) climate change is real but we can't say how bad it will be and anyway Canada is a small economy and there's no point trying to make a better world all by ourselves; or 2) climate change is fake and CO2 is real, and strong, and my friend, bring back coal it's good for the plants