Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The option to go "screw turns, this is real time now" was also... unique, I must say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Oh my God. Everything about Lily's campaign sucks. This poo poo is infuriating. It's funny, I always just thought of her as a pretty bland and forgettable character, but this legacy op is actually making me hate her more all the time.

... Granted, most of that isn't so much her character's fault as bad voice acting and horrible level / squad design. Nonetheless, loving hate it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Backhand posted:

Oh my God. Everything about Lily's campaign sucks. This poo poo is infuriating. It's funny, I always just thought of her as a pretty bland and forgettable character, but this legacy op is actually making me hate her more all the time.

... Granted, most of that isn't so much her character's fault as bad voice acting and horrible level / squad design. Nonetheless, loving hate it.

The worst part is the diary format makes it feel like a reliable narrator. Theres no, "and then we fought an avatar! No! Three avatars! I remember their hair." Bradford's stories are fun because they're clearly big fish style bullshitting, and then shen's tale is just kind of... there.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Backhand posted:

Hey, it could be Annette's VA from EW.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The sectopod on lily's mission (you know the one) is adorable.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 23, 2018

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Amazing mod that really does sell the whole 'firefight' thing. I had to uninstall after it almost cost me a guy however; I hadn't noticed that he was under actual suppression when I tried to move him. heh.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Perfect, yes.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

Amazing mod that really does sell the whole 'firefight' thing. I had to uninstall after it almost cost me a guy however; I hadn't noticed that he was under actual suppression when I tried to move him. heh.

It regularly crashes my game when someone shoots an enemy who's also firing. :/

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
The highlight of me playing Apoc was Transtellar becoming best budies with the aliens and then one of the giant alien building destroyers just drops near the spaceport and I just let it rampage across Transtellar's property. :allears:

Edit: And also how one of the most efficient ways to take out UFOs until late-mid game was a swarm of bees aka hovercars.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

FoolyCharged posted:

The worst part is the diary format makes it feel like a reliable narrator. Theres no, "and then we fought an avatar! No! Three avatars! I remember their hair." Bradford's stories are fun because they're clearly big fish style bullshitting, and then shen's tale is just kind of... there.

I honestly don't think Bradford's stories were meant to be taken that way.

But they totally come across that way.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I honestly think they were. Look at how the last one ends.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

I've really enjoyed Bradford's stories for that reason too. Same way that Shadows of Mordor is best interpreted as Pippin or Merry getting shitfaced and telling wild scary stories to their grandkids in the Shire. I figured all of Bradford's legacy stories are told over a lot of gin in the Cantina while flying from one mission to another.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I know that the power armor part is to give a sense of progression but I like to think that the rest of Bradford's band bullshit the exact same way. "...so after we saw that robot suit get back up, I got to thinking, 'that looks easy as poo poo to make!'. So anyway we invented power armor and also homing missile launchers, you're welcome. ....what? No you can't see mine, go away".

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I know that the power armor part is to give a sense of progression but I like to think that the rest of Bradford's band bullshit the exact same way. "...so after we saw that robot suit get back up, I got to thinking, 'that looks easy as poo poo to make!'. So anyway we invented power armor and also homing missile launchers, you're welcome. ....what? No you can't see mine, go away".

"So why don't we have power armor right now, fifteen years later, huh Bradford?"

"I'm going down to the corner for some cigarettes be back in a minute I'll tell you then."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Omnicarus posted:

"So why don't we have power armor right now, fifteen years later, huh Bradford?"

"I'm going down to the corner for some cigarettes be back in a minute I'll tell you then."

"All I know is, I put the blueprints in the Commanders chair for safekeeping, and when I checked after we got the Avenger running they were gone."

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
This is a flier, but I've been watching the beaglerush lp of long war beta 14 and it was abandoned right before he got firestorms. Do any of y'all know which of his twitch videos would start roughly from there?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think twitch keeps those vods that long

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Why did youtube have to gently caress up their profit model? :saddowns:

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I don't think beagle ever finished that campaign, anyway.

He's been working through an EW Long War difficulty mod for a couple months on Twitch, if that's your thing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I set up a bladestorm overwatch trap on a drop point I think "what if there's a purifier" a moment too late, and luck out. Well, today my luck was up.

Everyone lived. Mostly. 1hp on 4/6 of the team and one guy bleeding out counts as living, right? I mean evac was right there so we were fine.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Any fight you can mostly walk away from is a good fight

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Oh man these new personalities are great. Mission goes south, almost everyone is wounded for a month straight. Almost everyone. As they stumble forward weakened by their wounds my reaper struts up smiling and looking all around him and winking at people having a good ol time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I love the cocky and smug animations. They go well side by side, too.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Holy poo poo, I have how many hours in this game and I've never noticed the sky ranger goes down a lift into the ship on the after action report if you wait long enough.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

My skirmisher strode up to the deploy screen giving someone the finger-guns.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Bruceski posted:

Every time I set up a bladestorm overwatch trap on a drop point I think "what if there's a purifier" a moment too late, and luck out. Well, today my luck was up.

Everyone lived. Mostly. 1hp on 4/6 of the team and one guy bleeding out counts as living, right? I mean evac was right there so we were fine.

Yeah purifiers are the main reason I really, really like rolling fortress on my templars. Also good for ganking sectopods.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

aegof posted:

I don't think beagle ever finished that campaign, anyway.

He's been working through an EW Long War difficulty mod for a couple months on Twitch, if that's your thing.

Pretty much. Every YT run he's done has been abandoned. He has finished his Twitch campaigns, dunno where you can watch the whole thing but there are 'Beagle Highlights' on youtube that have clips from it.

Looking forward to when he does Legacy Op #4. I really hope nobody spoils the ending for him (it really was the best ending)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Omnicarus posted:

. I figured all of Bradford's legacy stories are told over a lot of gin in the Cantina while flying from one mission to another.

c.f. Shen's complaining about how Bradford flies the ship.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just realized the Resistance Firearms modder added the ability to Blacklist weapons from the mod if you just want a specific few weapons and don't want to have to live with the clutter. Load times in the inventory screen are manageable on its own but when paired with RPGO and that mod's ability to equip nearly literally everything, h o o b o y

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

FoolyCharged posted:

Holy poo poo, I have how many hours in this game and I've never noticed the sky ranger goes down a lift into the ship on the after action report if you wait long enough.

Did you never get the sky ranger lift sound bug if you didn’t let it finish coming down before you went back to the ant farm?

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.

Paingod556 posted:

Pretty much. Every YT run he's done has been abandoned. He has finished his Twitch campaigns, dunno where you can watch the whole thing but there are 'Beagle Highlights' on youtube that have clips from it.

Looking forward to when he does Legacy Op #4. I really hope nobody spoils the ending for him (it really was the best ending)

His stupid chat will absolutely spoil the end for him, which is a drat shame.

I went back to see how he felt about WOTC after knowing he didn't really like vanilla and it was cool to see him having a ton of fun with it.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Kinda hard to like a game when the developers actually are conspiring against specifically you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wait do they actually design the game around things he does

Someone mentioned him when I asked why the gently caress an advent just shot me on their reveal move, which I took as a joke, but...

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Digirat posted:

Someone mentioned him when I asked why the gently caress an advent just shot me on their reveal move, which I took as a joke, but...

They changed that one specific thing that he did because it was kind of dumb.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Digirat posted:

during beta, beaglerush would position his soldiers such that he was positive they would be seen from concealment by a patrolling pod by setting it up such that the pod would flank his ambushers. by doing this, the pod would scatter, wasting their turn and triggering overwatches that beagle had set. this basically meant he got to go twice in a row.

firaxis responded by changing pod behavior such that if they tripped across a flanked enemy during patrol, there's something like a 50/50 chance that the enemy will just shoot instead of scatter.

it was a very good change tbh

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When I ran into it, I was double moving still in stealth with all my guys in cover. 1 of them was just visible to a group that came from a direction I didn’t expect, so I randomly got to eat a crit even though that completely and without warning breaks the rules the game follows the entire rest of the time, because it happened to look similar to something different that a popular streamer does. It also meant the enemy suicidally stood out in the open instead of going for cover, which destroys the idea that the enemies play according to self-preservation or anything other than making you lose the campaign in the long run. Meanwhile getting two attacks from concealment is barely any different than getting two attacks from enemies walking into overwatch from the fog, which they’ve had no problem with since XCOM EU, so it barely even makes sense to care now. That’s loving dumb as poo poo for like four different reasons.

The one single advantage the Schrodinger’s Alien mechanic gives is that an enemy you’ve never seen before can’t just walk in and shoot you. It’s extremely problematic for a bunch of other reasons though, so picking a random case to break its rules means you’re getting all of the problems with it while throwing away the one reason it has to exist

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Getting two attacks from overwatch on enemies walking in from fog *was* a problem. Literally half the design of EW and XCOM 2 was focused on nerfing that tactic. It's the reason why meld was brought in, why there are turn timers all over XCOM 2. It's why in Phoenix Point, even, overwatch is a finite resource.

Overwatch from concealment is even worse because those are much more accurate and can crit. And beaglerush identified a way of doing it totally safely.

Beaglerush also identified the overpowered nature of Killzone which is why it no longer triggers from concealment.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 24, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Digirat posted:

When I ran into it, I was double moving still in stealth with all my guys in cover. 1 of them was just visible to a group that came from a direction I didn’t expect,
As they say in Paris, :xcom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Paingod556 posted:

They're generally saved as highlights so the Twitch VODs never expire, but it's just a big chronological list cause Twitch can't do organization: https://www.twitch.tv/beagsandjam/videos/highlight

What I think is the one Long War campaign he finished appears to be at least partially up if you scroll down to somewhere in 2015, e.g. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/13498632

I don't know if it goes all the way back to the beginning though, I think some of the earlier vids from that campaign weren't saved as highlights.