Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
That sounds like the shop just didn't want your business. 3 hour minimum to make a few routes and claiming to only have a 90 degree bit. I am going to guess they are used to doing much larger higher paying jobs and your request was too small for their time.

Look at using a router with a V groove bit with the desired angle. You can set the depth to 1/16" or 1/8" less than the thickness of the material and then use a heat gun to bend that remaining bit. Use a CA glue or clear epoxy to joint it (once the heat has dissipated) and now you have a seamless bend on the outer edge with no gap under it where the angled edges line up.

I have done something similar for a waterfall effect with wood and steam bending and how I plan to do the HDPE polygon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

JEEVES420 posted:

That sounds like the shop just didn't want your business. 3 hour minimum to make a few routes and claiming to only have a 90 degree bit. I am going to guess they are used to doing much larger higher paying jobs and your request was too small for their time.

Look at using a router with a V groove bit with the desired angle. You can set the depth to 1/16" or 1/8" less than the thickness of the material and then use a heat gun to bend that remaining bit. Use a CA glue or clear epoxy to joint it (once the heat has dissipated) and now you have a seamless bend on the outer edge with no gap under it where the angled edges line up.

I have done something similar for a waterfall effect with wood and steam bending and how I plan to do the HDPE polygon.

Yeah, that's what I figured. They seemed like they were find with small jobs and estimate an hour when I called them on the phone, but after spending 45 mins driving to them they weren't so enthused.

Well, I grabbed a saw from Home Depot than can do the bevels, anyway. And I've got some Weld-On 4 solvent to fuse them.

OK, real stupid question:

What angles do I bevel for each of these pieces of polycarb, where the red cut lines are, in order to make the inside angles I have listed? I failed geometry or trig or whatever.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Edit: My numbers were wrong. I think the bottom two get beveled at 58 degrees and the top two at 32 degrees which is the opposite of what I first said, but now I’ve confused myself. Draw it full scale and copy the bevels onto the work and you’re much less likely to make a mistake.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 18, 2018

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Edit: My numbers were wrong. I think the bottom two get beveled at 58 degrees and the top two at 32 degrees which is the opposite of what I first said, but now I’ve confused myself. Draw it full scale and copy the bevels onto the work and you’re much less likely to make a mistake.

Flip them (again) and it works. The top 116 is divided by two for the two cut angles of 58 (eg: two 45 degree cuts make a 90 degree joint, two 90 degree make 180 or a straight line) and then the bottom two angles are just cut 32 to fit on the bottom line. Draw the lines on before you cut and kind of line them up to get the idea.

Unless you have a proper sled I would not attempt to cut them holding the piece perpendicular with the table saw. The fence alone is not enough to prevent a kickback or you slipping into the blade. Besides now you have to adjust the angle of the blade to account for the 90 degrees +/- the angle you want (90-58=32, so now I see where you got that Kaiser).

Also test the glue on either a scrap piece or in a small corner to see how it reacts with the Lexan, if you have to sand anything you can step it up to like 2000 grit and then kiss it with a blow torch to bring it back to clear.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

JEEVES420 posted:

Unless you have a proper sled I would not attempt to cut them holding the piece perpendicular with the table saw. The fence alone is not enough to prevent a kickback or you slipping into the blade.

I found a mint-condition Sawstop on Craigslist and haggled the guy to $800 so at least if I slip into the blade I'll be OK! Uh, not totally certain polycarbonate won't trigger the self-destruct, though. They say it can cut anything non-conductive, but I know that polycarbonate can have static electricity and it can work with capacitive touchscreens.

Is this what you're talking about for a sled? They have this store near me: https://www.rockler.com/rockler-table-saw-small-parts-sled

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Zero VGS posted:

I found a mint-condition Sawstop on Craigslist and haggled the guy to $800 so at least if I slip into the blade I'll be OK! Uh, not totally certain polycarbonate won't trigger the self-destruct, though. They say it can cut anything non-conductive, but I know that polycarbonate can have static electricity and it can work with capacitive touchscreens.

You'll need to check this, but I'm reasonably sure you can temporarily disable the safety mechanism on a Sawstop if you choose so.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Look for a vertical table saw jig or raised panel table saw sled. Basically a fence that is taller with a base to support the piece and keeps it secure for cutting along a surface that has little footing on the table.

You can disable the Sawstop safety with the key but it will turn back on when you stop the blade and turn it back on. I wouldn't cut any plastics on it without disabling it so unless you plan to cut a lot of wood it really isn't a sound investment. Its about $100-$150 for a new safety and blade if you trip it and scares the poo poo out of everyone in the shop.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I was pressganged out of my old place and didn't have the time to move furnishings beyond my workbench.

I am still quite time poor and it makes the most economical sense for me to design up and print and assemble in moments of my free time.

Some garden stakes are $15 from the local hardware store and I can pick them up on the way home.

Behold

My open clothes hanger project, Spartan but sufficient

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
For a little bit more you can build that out of black iron piping and have something that won't immediately fail under the weight of a modest amount of clothing. Although even with iron I think you'd need another connection between the verticals.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Corla Plankun posted:

For a little bit more you can build that out of black iron piping and have something that won't immediately fail under the weight of a modest amount of clothing. Although even with iron I think you'd need another connection between the verticals.

Good thing I have very little clothing.

I'm fully prepared to have this fail, and to buy it proper, but I figured it's worth a shot. The ones I have bought have always been lackluster and I have some degree of confidence in my ability, but this is certainly a higher stakes/eventual impact to my life project I have done in a while. Why have a home built printer if you don't use it you know :c00lbutt:

It's very me at the moment.

I plan to tension between the feet and top of the verticals and underneath with some fishing line or similar. And I'm hoping that should be enough.

Planning to document it here over the next two weeks

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Jestery posted:

I was pressganged out of my old place and didn't have the time to move furnishings beyond my workbench.

Wtf does this mean, and how was that not the first question asked?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Wtf does this mean, and how was that not the first question asked?

press-gang

[pres-gang]

ExamplesWord Origin

verb (used with object)

to force (a person) into military or naval service.

to coerce (a person) into taking a certain action,political stand, etc.:to be press-ganged into endorsing a candidate.

Dang googling stuff is hard

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
No need to be a dick about it. Most of us got the meaning from the context, the question is what the hell happened that you left with nothing but clothes on your back. And a 3D printer, apparently.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Trabant posted:

No need to be a dick about it. Most of us got the meaning from the context, the question is what the hell happened that you left with nothing but clothes on your back. And a 3D printer, apparently.

Yeah this. Just randomly starting a conversation with "I was forced out of my apartment with nothing" and not expounding on it is :psyduck:, and I'm shocked that goons didn't jump on it. Except me, apparently.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Trabant posted:

I broke up with my ex and the situation became real untenable real fast and I was sleeping on cardboard boxes for a while. They offered to pay my side of the rent if I could be out in 3 days, from a Tuesday. I've had to work, Inspect properties and then move my (admittedly small and culled) amount of stuff. My workbench is my island.

I have like
5 black work shirts
2 jeans
5 Kaftans
And sufficient undergarments

Enforced minimalism is surprisingly cool and good

Thank god for smart phones to organise all that poo poo

Jestery fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 24, 2018

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Garden stakes for $15!
How about you buy something like this?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Adjustable-2-Tier-Rolling-Garment-Rack-Adjustable-Design/15627443

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I pass by a hardware store on the way home from work, and I'm also somewhat travel poor(?) So, assuming this works I should be able to come home with some stakes and assemble it piece by piece.

Yes I know it's dumb, but I also kinda need something to keep me busy at the moment.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Jestery posted:

press-gang

[pres-gang]

ExamplesWord Origin

verb (used with object)

to force (a person) into military or naval service.

to coerce (a person) into taking a certain action,political stand, etc.:to be press-ganged into endorsing a candidate.

Dang googling stuff is hard

lmao i wonder how this happened to you

Parachute fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 24, 2018

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Parachute posted:

lmao i wonder how this happened to you

Got sick and tired of doing stuff for people who struggle with simple tasks basically.

Having someone be incredibly dependant on you for a couple years might colour perspective.

Fwiw.

I am sorry, that was a prick thing to post. I forgot I wasn't in GBS. I haven't had the best self care available

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Jestery posted:

Got sick and tired of doing stuff for people who struggle with simple tasks basically.

Having someone be incredibly dependant on you for a couple years might colour perspective.

Fwiw.

I am sorry, that was a prick thing to post. I forgot I wasn't in GBS. I haven't had the best self care available

Don't worry buddy, everything will work out :)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

bEatmstrJ posted:

Did a bit of upcycling. Bought this $40 mirror used from Craigs and modified it to fit some art I had already purchased rather than spending $400 on a custom frame. It was quite a bit of work since I had to modify both the art itself and the frame, but I'm pretty happy with the end results.

You have made a very elaborate version of this classic

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

evobatman posted:

You have made a very elaborate version of this classic

Ha! Nice.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

klen dool posted:

Don't worry buddy, everything will work out :)

Thanks dude it's been tough. But I'm positive about rebuilding myself

so far, so good on project wardrobe

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jestery posted:

Thanks dude it's been tough. But I'm positive about rebuilding myself

Looking good. If you find the wood doesn't hold up, you could try again with steel conduit pipe. It's pretty cheap and strong as heck. I used it to make trellises for my garden.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Facebook Aunt posted:

Looking good. If you find the wood doesn't hold up, you could try again with steel conduit pipe. It's pretty cheap and strong as heck. I used it to make trellises for my garden.

While I don't disagree with your approach , my end goal is to have a clothes hanger, and If this fails I will just buy one. I'm not a sucker to sunk cost. And they are around 25 dollars at the local clothes hanger shop and my time is worth more than that

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jestery posted:

Was just having a conversation yesterday about 3D printers and my friend asked "why did they never take off if they are so cheap?" and my response was "turns out people just don't have that much stuff they need to print out". Looks like I have been proven wrong. Given the thickness of the abs that should be plenty strong to start, if you're supporting the cross bar with post and lintel style construction then the top portion should be plenty strong.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Hadlock posted:

Was just having a conversation yesterday about 3D printers and my friend asked "why did they never take off if they are so cheap?" and my response was "turns out people just don't have that much stuff they need to print out". Looks like I have been proven wrong. Given the thickness of the abs that should be plenty strong to start, if you're supporting the cross bar with post and lintel style construction then the top portion should be plenty strong.

Yeah it's a bit of a unique opportunity to use my hobby as something productive. What's the point of having built my own printer and enjoy industrial design if I can't use it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Hadlock posted:

Was just having a conversation yesterday about 3D printers and my friend asked "why did they never take off if they are so cheap?" and my response was "turns out people just don't have that much stuff they need to print out".
The reason is we all know how finicky and garbage regular printers are, and can't even imagine how badly that extrapolates out to the third dimension.

And we're right, unfortunately.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I think a lot of people buy 3D printers without realising that to be truly useful you also need to learn 3D modelling, print poo poo off Thingiverse for a couple of months then just let it collect dust.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

There really aren't a lot of problems in my day to day life that would be solved by being able to create a custom-shaped piece of plastic.

That said I still kinda want to get in to that poo poo someday if I ever have money and space for it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The other issue with 3D printers is you have to be willing to accept having a machine in your house going weent-err-weent-err-weent-err brrrrr vzz vzz vzz vzz vzz for hours on end.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Delta printers are much more melodious imo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The other issue with 3D printers is you have to be willing to accept having a machine in your house going weent-err-weent-err-weent-err brrrrr vzz vzz vzz vzz vzz for hours on end.

How does it compare to the old dot matrix printers? Those were a trip. I'm just going to print out this 20 page document, hope nobody wants to listen to the radio or tv for the next 15 minutes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

How does it compare to the old dot matrix printers? Those were a trip. I'm just going to print out this 20 page document, hope nobody wants to listen to the radio or tv for the next 15 minutes.

It's been a long time since I had to listen to a dot matrix, but I feel like the 3D printers are worse if only because they change up their patterns periodically, which makes them harder to ignore. Plus, I wasn't kidding about that "hours on end" bit; it takes a long time to print larger objects.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you buy the right fans and drivers and parts etc etc etc you can approach whisper quiet. But yeah they ain't silent for sure

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

hailthefish posted:

There really aren't a lot of problems in my day to day life that would be solved by being able to create a custom-shaped piece of plastic.

That said I still kinda want to get in to that poo poo someday if I ever have money and space for it.
This is how I feel, too. My fiancee has printed a few things using other people's printers and I can see the appeal. I think if we ever get one we'll have to institute a rule like "print SOMETHING every week" and just end up replacing most of our kitchen, one goofy coffee mug or needlessly elaborate wine glass at a time. I think a big part of it is getting into it as a hobby, with a routine and some kind of frequency of use, even if it's just for trivial things. That way when you finally get a really good idea (or your life gets thrown sideways) you'll be ready to go.

EDIT: I like Project Wardrobe and I'm excited for the next update. Seriously, I want to see that thing finished and in-use.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

This is how I feel, too. My fiancee has printed a few things using other people's printers and I can see the appeal. I think if we ever get one we'll have to institute a rule like "print SOMETHING every week" and just end up replacing most of our kitchen, one goofy coffee mug or needlessly elaborate wine glass at a time. I think a big part of it is getting into it as a hobby, with a routine and some kind of frequency of use, even if it's just for trivial things. That way when you finally get a really good idea (or your life gets thrown sideways) you'll be ready to go.

EDIT: I like Project Wardrobe and I'm excited for the next update. Seriously, I want to see that thing finished and in-use.

I don't know, its a bit different when you have one (or easy access to one). You start to see it as the solution to problems rather than just looking for things to print. I have printed all kinds of jigs for woodworking, electronics enclosures, clips/storage, replacement parts, etc.

Like Megabound said it really helps to know some 3d modeling to design/modify the parts you need.

edit: also ABS isn't exactly "food safe" PLA technically is but printers get all kinds of nasty so still might not want to replace your dining set just yet.

JEEVES420 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 29, 2018

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

JEEVES420 posted:

edit: also ABS isn't exactly "food safe" PLA technically is but printers get all kinds of nasty so still might not want to replace your dining set just yet.

You find this a lot in 3d printer info. It isn't really true. It's just as easy to make food safe ABS as PLA. Infact most pure polymers are food safe.

The problem is with additives. Things like plasticizers (bisphenol A is the most recent one to draw controversy, but there are many superbly awful ones out there) fire retardants, fillers, dyes, not to mention impurities like lubricants from the production process that can be in your plastic.

It's just as easy for any of these to be in PLA. Unless your filament says it's food safe, it isn't.

Not that your print would meet standards for food safety anyway. A printed surface has far too many crevices for food to get stuck in. They are, at best, disposable.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Aurium posted:

You find this a lot in 3d printer info. It isn't really true. It's just as easy to make food safe ABS as PLA. Infact most pure polymers are food safe.

The problem is with additives. Things like plasticizers (bisphenol A is the most recent one to draw controversy, but there are many superbly awful ones out there) fire retardants, fillers, dyes, not to mention impurities like lubricants from the production process that can be in your plastic.

It's just as easy for any of these to be in PLA. Unless your filament says it's food safe, it isn't.

Not that your print would meet standards for food safety anyway. A printed surface has far too many crevices for food to get stuck in. They are, at best, disposable.

Not to mention there is enough lead in the brass nozzle to put me on edge enough to not use them for food stuff.

Put this on on last night.

Hopefully enough filament comes in this week to give me a wardrobe by the end of the week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

JEEVES420 posted:

I don't know, its a bit different when you have one (or easy access to one). You start to see it as the solution to problems rather than just looking for things to print. I have printed all kinds of jigs for woodworking, electronics enclosures, clips/storage, replacement parts, etc.

"All I have is a hammer so everything looks like a nail" is not unique to 3D printers. It doesn't make them anymore right than when you have a tractor, a bobcat, a welder, a mill and a lathe, etc that makes those things the right answer for everything you either don't have or have to go out to get.

I'm guilty of pretty much everything I've mentioned here.