Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.
I like the cut of the new guy’s jib and he has plenty of time to figure out that the answer to the question of who to cheer for is Charles LeClerc in a Ferrari.

Not That Into You posted:

Well, I am a Chargers / Padres fan, so....

In that case, on behalf of Theophany, Wirth and 1500quidporsche, I would like to cordially invite you to the Lance Stroll fan club. Please stand for our anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97jfl21c4Ek

Fun fact: one year a few years ago, there were two Brazilian dudes named Felipe driving, and they had hilariously similar sounding last names. Much confusion by the old fuddies in the Sky booth ensued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Oh also, you should probably watch Senna if you haven’t, just keep in mind that it’s a hagiography so it fudges the facts a little here and there and Alain Prost comes off worse that he probably should have. It’s still essential viewing and probably one of the most entertaining docs ever produced.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Just started watching the Singapore race which so far is very cool because I didn't realize they did night races and also LOL the one India car squeezing his teammate into the wall lap 1.

Couple other questions I had from watching my first few races:

1) Are there any differences in the bodies (chassis? frame? I don't know the right term) of the cars? They all seemed pretty uniform. But I watched that Chris Hemsworth F1 movie a while back and seems like in those days all the cars were pretty wildly different. Like one had 6 wheels. Did they go the NASCAR route and every car is basically the same now?

2) Announcers explained DRS pretty succinctly, but then they were talking about storing boost up "oh his light is blinking he is storing some boost". I have no idea what this means. Is this like a button they can press like fast and furious style?

3) In the Mono race some guys brakes went out, causing him to totally slam into the guy in front at the turn, completly taking them both out of the race. Are their penalties in regards to points/teams to doing something like this (even if it wasn't on purpose?)

1) Yes, but the regulations are so strict there's really only a superficial difference in cars anymore. You won't see anything like 6 wheeled cars or wings in random places. All of the cars follow the same basic format, with all of the parts stripped off most chassis are indistinguishable from one another unless you're a gigantic F1 nerd

2) In a nutshell, yes. F1 cars have energy recovery systems that allow energy to be stored and a certain amount used every lap when the driver wants, so there's supposed to be an element of strategy. In practice this usually cancels out and there's no indication whether boost is being used outside of watching the drivers hands during onboard footage or it being shown via onscreen graphics

3) Brakes going out is considered a mechanical failure and outside of the driver's control, so it wouldn't be penalised. Crashing someone intentionally is taken very seriously and anyone doing that would get the book thrown at them.

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 24, 2018

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Rhopunzel posted:

1) Crashing someone intentionally is taken very seriously and anyone doing that would get the book thrown at them.

Except if the same driver did it to you in the same race the year before which decided the championship and you were getting revenge, then it’s kosher :mmmsmug:

Oh, speaking of essential viewing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JYEVoybF84

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NYOOOOM NYOOM NYOOM NYOOOOOOM

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I just noticed this new person (an unreasonable assumption to assume it's a person?) likes Max. The reddit forum is that way, new "person".

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Just started watching the Singapore race which so far is very cool because I didn't realize they did night races and also LOL the one India car squeezing his teammate into the wall lap 1.

Couple other questions I had from watching my first few races:

1) Are there any differences in the bodies (chassis? frame? I don't know the right term) of the cars? They all seemed pretty uniform. But I watched that Chris Hemsworth F1 movie a while back and seems like in those days all the cars were pretty wildly different. Like one had 6 wheels. Did they go the NASCAR route and every car is basically the same now?

2) Announcers explained DRS pretty succinctly, but then they were talking about storing boost up "oh his light is blinking he is storing some boost". I have no idea what this means. Is this like a button they can press like fast and furious style?

3) In the Mono race some guys brakes went out, causing him to totally slam into the guy in front at the turn, completly taking them both out of the race. Are their penalties in regards to points/teams to doing something like this (even if it wasn't on purpose?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Formula_One_season

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lewis is best.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
NUOVO RAGAZZO, LEGGERE QUESTO

Scuderia Ferrari S.p.A. (Italian: [skudeˈriːa ferˈraːri]) is the racing division of luxury Italian auto manufacturer, Ferrari, and the racing team that competes in Formula One racing. The team is also nicknamed "The Prancing Horse", with reference to their logo. It is the oldest surviving and most successful Formula One team, having competed in every world championship since the 1950 Formula One season.[15]

The team was founded by Enzo Ferrari, initially to race cars produced by Alfa Romeo, though by 1947 Ferrari had begun building its own cars. Among its important achievements outside Formula One are winning the World Sportscar Championship, 24 Hours of Le Mans, 24 Hours of Spa, 24 Hours of Daytona, 12 Hours of Sebring, Bathurst 12 Hour, races for Grand tourer cars and racing on road courses of the Targa Florio, the Mille Miglia and the Carrera Panamericana.

As a constructor, Ferrari has a record 16 Constructors' Championships, the last of which was won in 2008. Alberto Ascari, Juan Manuel Fangio, Mike Hawthorn, Phil Hill, John Surtees, Niki Lauda, Jody Scheckter, Michael Schumacher and Kimi Räikkönen have won a record 15 Drivers' Championships for the team.[16] Since Räikkönen's title in 2007 the team narrowly lost out on the 2008 drivers' title with Felipe Massa and the 2010 and 2012 drivers' titles with Fernando Alonso.

Michael Schumacher is the team's most successful driver. Joining the team in 1996 and departing in 2006 he won five drivers' titles and 72 Grands Prix for the team. His titles came consecutively between 2000 and 2004, and the team won consecutive constructors' title from 1999 until the end of 2004; this was the team's most successful period.

Currently, World Champions Kimi Räikkönen[17] and Sebastian Vettel[18] are the two main race drivers. Junior driver Charles Leclerc will join Vettel for the 2019 and 2020 seasons.

The team is also known for its passionate support base known as the tifosi. The Italian Grand Prix at Monza is regarded as the team's home race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04ckV9QueXc

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Reported

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Ferrari is still retarded for dumping Kimi and not Vettel

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

McGuinty posted:

Fun fact: one year a few years ago, there were two Brazilian dudes named Felipe driving, and they had hilariously similar sounding last names. Much confusion by the old fuddies in the Sky booth ensued.

Was it Ted that just called Nassar Fred instead of Felippe

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DoctorGonzo posted:

NUOVO RAGAZZO, LEGGERE QUESTO

Scuderia Ferrari S.p.A. (Italian: [skudeˈriːa ferˈraːri]) is the racing division of luxury Italian auto manufacturer, Ferrari, and the racing team that competes in Formula One racing. The team is also nicknamed "The Prancing Horse", with reference to their logo. It is the oldest surviving and most successful Formula One team, having competed in every world championship since the 1950 Formula One season.[15]

The team was founded by Enzo Ferrari, initially to race cars produced by Alfa Romeo, though by 1947 Ferrari had begun building its own cars. Among its important achievements outside Formula One are winning the World Sportscar Championship, 24 Hours of Le Mans, 24 Hours of Spa, 24 Hours of Daytona, 12 Hours of Sebring, Bathurst 12 Hour, races for Grand tourer cars and racing on road courses of the Targa Florio, the Mille Miglia and the Carrera Panamericana.

As a constructor, Ferrari has a record 16 Constructors' Championships, the last of which was won in 2008. Alberto Ascari, Juan Manuel Fangio, Mike Hawthorn, Phil Hill, John Surtees, Niki Lauda, Jody Scheckter, Michael Schumacher and Kimi Räikkönen have won a record 15 Drivers' Championships for the team.[16] Since Räikkönen's title in 2007 the team narrowly lost out on the 2008 drivers' title with Felipe Massa and the 2010 and 2012 drivers' titles with Fernando Alonso.

Michael Schumacher is the team's most successful driver. Joining the team in 1996 and departing in 2006 he won five drivers' titles and 72 Grands Prix for the team. His titles came consecutively between 2000 and 2004, and the team won consecutive constructors' title from 1999 until the end of 2004; this was the team's most successful period.

Currently, World Champions Kimi Räikkönen[17] and Sebastian Vettel[18] are the two main race drivers. Junior driver Charles Leclerc will join Vettel for the 2019 and 2020 seasons.

The team is also known for its passionate support base known as the tifosi. The Italian Grand Prix at Monza is regarded as the team's home race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04ckV9QueXc

Sir, this is an El Completo Drive Thru

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

McGuinty posted:

Oh also, you should probably watch Senna if you haven’t, just keep in mind that it’s a hagiography so it fudges the facts a little here and there and Alain Prost comes off worse that he probably should have. It’s still essential viewing and probably one of the most entertaining docs ever produced.

Eh Prost doesn’t look too bad. Balestre looks like the real enemy.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

GramCracker posted:

Ferrari is still retarded for dumping Kimi and not Vettel

:agreed: Ferrari really need two combative drivers because they don't have a guaranteed pole sitter car and Vettel isn't good enough at overtaking.

Leclerc and Kimi/Danny Ric would make a much better lineup.

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Frond posted:

Eh Prost doesn’t look too bad. Balestre looks like the real enemy.

Yeah that’s true I guess, they definitely make it clear that they squashed the beef well before Senna died and they became friends, to the extent that Alain still sits on the board of Ayrton’s foundation.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

McGuinty posted:

Yeah that’s true I guess, they definitely make it clear that they squashed the beef well before Senna died and they became friends, to the extent that Alain still sits on the board of Ayrton’s foundation.

From what I have heard the shorter version of the doco makes Prost look bad, whereas the longer version makes Balestre look like the enemy

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Watch the Williams documentary instead.

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

You Am I posted:

From what I have heard the shorter version of the doco makes Prost look bad, whereas the longer version makes Balestre look like the enemy

Balestre looks like a megalomaniac in both versions, but the extra material gives Alain more of a chance to offer his perspective and context. However I prefer the theatrical because its complete lack of the usual talking head interviews you see in every other doc sets it apart. The decision to combine 100% historical footage with voice-over only for the present day commentary was pretty smart and keeps you right in the time period. It’s definitely my preferred way to watch but may not be everyone’s taste.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Run, new guy. Otherwise, if you're determined to watch this khablam of a series, pack a team at random then make stereotypical borderline jokes about all the other teams' countries of origin.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Just read through this entire thread and if that doesn’t scare you off then you might be deranged enough to be an F1 fan.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
If you want a really easy time of it, support Lance Stroll. He's easily the best driver. Typically every race he's voted driver of the day. He's sure to amaze every time he gets in a car.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

McGuinty posted:

Rush is mandatory viewing as well, gives you a lot of information about the past era and the bits with the cars racing in it are the most awesome things ever (with one exception, obviously)

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Greetings New OP if you haven't selected a driver yet I recommend taking a look at one Sebastian Vettel. He's touted to be the next Michael Schumacher and has demonstrated steely resolve and metronomic consistency for several years.

He also drives for the fabulous "Ferrari" team who are legendary in the sport for their quick thinking in terms of strategy and team management. A few of their fans affectionately call them the "winningest" Formula 1 team which is a reference to how long they've been in the sport. It's been a dry couple of decades for them but it's almost certain that with Vettel at the wheel and an all-Italian design and management team they'll collect a few more championships soon.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Just lol if you aren’t rooting for our returning hero daniil kvyat.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Also if you haven’t seen the greatest formula 1 video of all time then you should do so right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YJHQidXV5M

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

McGuinty posted:

In that case, on behalf of Theophany, Wirth and 1500quidporsche, I would like to cordially invite you to the Lance Stroll fan club. Please stand for our anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97jfl21c4Ek

Are Lance gonna be dominating the midfield next year 👊🏻

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

NtotheTC posted:

Greetings New OP if you haven't selected a driver yet I recommend taking a look at one Sebastian Vettel. He's touted to be the next Michael Schumacher and has demonstrated steely resolve and metronomic consistency for several years.

He also drives for the fabulous "Ferrari" team who are legendary in the sport for their quick thinking in terms of strategy and team management. A few of their fans affectionately call them the "winningest" Formula 1 team which is a reference to how long they've been in the sport. It's been a dry couple of decades for them but it's almost certain that with Vettel at the wheel and an all-Italian design and management team they'll collect a few more championships soon.

:cool:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

learnincurve posted:

Also if you haven’t seen the greatest formula 1 video of all time then you should do so right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx8_9rjdSg0

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
BEST DRIVER EVAR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRpTbb05094

Clarence
May 3, 2012

New guy - go watch Canada 2011.

I nearly spoilered the ending, but it's better if you go in cold.

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

learnincurve posted:

Rush is mandatory viewing as well, gives you a lot of information about the past era and the bits with the cars racing in it are the most awesome things ever (with one exception, obviously)

I think he mentioned that he’s already watched Rush, but he should probably watch it again at least a couple times. I was bored last weekend and watched it for what is probably my 8th or 9th time and what do you know, it still holds up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Clarence posted:

Canada 2011.

:gizz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljDhWSUt8uE

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
To the new American bad sports liking poster who thinks he wants to 'get into' F1, my advice is that F1 loving sucks and I'd rather have a buffallo take a diarrhea dump in my ear. I'd rather eat the rotten rear end in a top hat, of a road killed skunk and down it with beer than watch the so caled 'sport' known as 'Formula 1'

It's a bad sport and it will be dead in a few years time and nobody will be like 'oh remember F1 that was cool' they will be 'oh remember that bad sport where nothing happens for a long time and then a bad fraudulent british person wins due to rampant cheating because all British and Anglo nations should be wiped off the face of the earth and their land turned to glass haha'

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

To add a small thing to what was already said: yes, the designers are heavily limited in what they can do with the cars, but there are at least a couple of different basic philosophies that are within the rules. Like longer wheelbase (Mercedes) vs. short wheelbase (Red Bull), high rake cars to get as much out of the diffusor (Red Bull) vs. normal rake (Mercedes). Other cars are somewhere in the middle of the two end points of these philosphies like Ferrari, which actually concentrates a lot more on tyre management etc. Also Mercedes are big loving frauds for running some kind of magic suspension that should have been banned years ago, but it's so complex that only two people in the world understand it and none of them works for the FIA.

The main problem with the current F1 regulations is that tyre management and fuel/ers-power management are extremely important and thus basically every car has to concentrate on these things.

If you wanna go full on F1 turbo-nerd, stroll around the f1technical.net forums, and join the autistic side of F1 fans in this partical category where we drool over slightly repositioned winglets starting each thursday before a race, while we try to come across as aerodynamic experts:

https://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

tuo fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 24, 2018

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

track day bro! posted:

To the new American bad sports liking poster who thinks he wants to 'get into' F1, my advice is that F1 loving sucks and I'd rather have a buffallo take a diarrhea dump in my ear. I'd rather eat the rotten rear end in a top hat, of a road killed skunk and down it with beer than watch the so caled 'sport' known as 'Formula 1'

It's a bad sport and it will be dead in a few years time and nobody will be like 'oh remember F1 that was cool' they will be 'oh remember that bad sport where nothing happens for a long time and then a bad fraudulent british person wins due to rampant cheating because all British and Anglo nations should be wiped off the face of the earth and their land turned to glass haha'

Good gosh!

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

tuo posted:

To add a small thing to what was already said: yes, the designers are heavily limited in what they can do with the cars, but there are at least a couple of different basic philosophies that are within the rules. Like longer wheelbase (Mercedes) vs. short wheelbase (Red Bull), high rake cars to get as much out of the diffusor (Red Bull) vs. normal rake (Mercedes). Other cars are somewhere in the middle of the two end points of these philosphies like Ferrari, which actually concentrates a lot more on tyre management etc. Also Mercedes are big loving frauds for running some kind of magic suspension that should have been banned years ago, but it's so complex that only two people in the world understand it and none of them works for the FIA.

The main problem with the current F1 regulations is that tyre management and fuel/ers-power management are extremely important and thus basically every car has to concentrate on these things.

If you wanna go full on F1 turbo-nerd, stroll around the f1technical.net forums, and join the autistic side of F1 fans in this partical category where we drool over slightly repositioned winglets starting each thursday before a race, while we try to come across as aerodynamic experts:

https://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

You missed the most important technical distinction.

Ferrari
Style
Sidepods.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I just noticed this new person (an unreasonable assumption to assume it's a person?) likes Max. The reddit forum is that way, new "person".
If he started watching at Monaco he's going to think Max is insanely good OP, as he's outperformed the car, his team mate, and (almost) my hopes and dreams.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

learnincurve posted:

Just lol if you aren’t rooting for our returning hero daniil kvyat.

Oh man Vettel is never gonna win again haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Schlesische posted:

You missed the most important technical distinction.

Ferrari
Style
Sidepods.

I didn't want to touch that particular subject.

tuo fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 24, 2018