Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Louisville also has the issue of paying $14 million to buy out Petrino, plus probably whatever it takes to buy out Brohm's contract at Purdue. All indications are they don't have that much available. A promise to bring Brohm in might be the only coach that would excite boosters enough to pull it all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KKKLIP ART posted:

Well now we have this for this year:
https://twitter.com/MBakerTBTimes/status/1054413567586435072

Talking trash about a player like that, even mild talk like this, usually doesn't end up well for the trash talker.

I mean, this one is just acknowledging that the guy's good, but their linebackers can also hit.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Louisville also has the issue of paying $14 million to buy out Petrino, plus probably whatever it takes to buy out Brohm's contract at Purdue. All indications are they don't have that much available. A promise to bring Brohm in might be the only coach that would excite boosters enough to pull it all together.

I also believe they have, uh, recently lost one of their biggest boosters.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

wernox posted:

And now we're gonna spend that money on our coach!

Seriously guys, I'm really not that emotionally invested in this. It just amazes me how little most people know about Purdue in spite of the fact its got 40,000 students, alumni who walked on the moon and even a gay airline pilot who is the son of the Chinese Gordon Ramsey......what has Louisville got to brag about? Huh? Those Duck Dynasty hicks?

none of those things have anything to do with football though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wernox posted:

.what has Louisville got to brag about? Huh? Those Duck Dynasty hicks?

Mitch McConnell

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Not really cfb related but...

Noted garbage person Chad "Swag" Kelly continues to be a garbage person.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2018/10/23/former-clemson-quarterback-chad-kelly-arrested-colorado/1739713002/

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The interstate rivalry that's bigger than the intrastate one is a weird quirk of college football. I guess because two programs rarely dominate in one state.

Michigan/OSU is bigger than Michigan/MSU
Florida/Georgia is bigger than Georgia/GT or Florida/FSU (conferences also matter there)
Texas/Oklahoma is bigger than Texas/A&M or Bedlam
USC/Notre Dame seems bigger than USC/UCLA

Even a lot of Bama fans seem to hate Tennessee more than Auburn despite the Iron Bowl being an infinitely more important game most years and Auburn having more success in recent memory.

USC/UCLA was really big for a while but both teams went through seperate periods where their administration either didn't care about, were anti sport, or just completely incompetent which caused them to not be good at the same time for a longgg time which has put a big chill on it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

The interstate rivalry that's bigger than the intrastate one is a weird quirk of college football. I guess because two programs rarely dominate in one state.

Florida/Georgia is bigger than Georgia/GT or Florida/FSU (conferences also matter there)

Even a lot of Bama fans seem to hate Tennessee more than Auburn despite the Iron Bowl being an infinitely more important game most years and Auburn having more success in recent memory.

It's usually because the program that's historically more successful or a bigger brand doesn't want to acknowledge that an in state "little brother" is basically their equal, even if that's demonstrably been the case for the past ~40 years.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

hobbesmaster posted:

Mitch McConnell

Counterpoint, I think Mitch Daniels could have beaten Obama in 2012.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Florida/Georgia hasn't been bigger than UF/FSU for twenty years or more.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

General Dog posted:

It's usually because the program that's historically more successful or a bigger brand doesn't want to acknowledge that an in state "little brother" is basically their equal, even if that's demonstrably been the case for the past ~40 years.

Not really the case for Bedlam, which is usually a fun game but is a series that OU has dominated. OU is 87-18-7 and has won 13 of the last 15 games.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Zoran posted:

Not really the case for Bedlam, which is usually a fun game but is a series that OU has dominated. OU is 87-18-7 and has won 13 of the last 15 games.

One of those losses is because Bob Stoops decided to repunt to the best punt returner in the game for an extra 5 yards. Bedlam owns as a rivalry game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zoran posted:

I think the basketball series is a little more fun because it's closer to even, but yeah I'll watch whatever bedlam game football or basketball.

e: apparently BB's swinging more to OU recently too, which makes sense. Overall it's 135-95 OU but recently it's 17-6 OU. Still always a great atmosphere and fun to watch.

Ha, and since I just saw this I'll add it in for Thoguh who I'm sure is the only one who will care:

quote:

Oklahoma State holds a lopsided advantage in the schools' wrestling rivalry, the original "Bedlam Series." The Cowboy wrestling program currently holds a 140–27–10 record against the Sooners, which is all the more remarkable considering that both schools have long been national powers in wrestling.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 23, 2018

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

You guys remember this from last year:
https://twitter.com/dawgs247/status/922522528240762880

Well now we have this for this year:
https://twitter.com/MBakerTBTimes/status/1054413567586435072

Talking trash about a player like that, even mild talk like this, usually doesn't end up well for the trash talker.

This isn't trash talk.

I see you trying to make something out of it though

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
https://twitter.com/Ben_Baby/status/1054789975475052544

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I dont see it as a given that brohm jumps to lville. Purdue is in a good position to pay decent coach pay and he can win division titles. He seems to be handling recruiting which suggests past purdue past recruiting might not be relevant.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I don't think louisville is a better job than purdue at this point

normally sure but not with the number of clusterfucks they've had/are having over the past few years

Brohm also has to think about the number of even bigger jobs that are gonna come open this year or next year

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

theres funbelt on soon folks

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

vyst posted:

This isn't trash talk.

I see you trying to make something out of it though

I could see it both ways and I guess it depends on the inflection used which is kind of hard off of text. But it isn’t like any motivation would be needed for Holyfield to truck folks because that’s just what he does

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Brohm is from Louisville. He and basically his entire family played at Louisville. He got his coaching start at Louisville. It's not necessarily just about which job is better. Scott Frost could have had better jobs on paper than Nebraska last year too. Enough people who seem to know what they're talking about have said that's it's a dream job for Brohm that I'm inclined to believe it.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 24, 2018

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dream job or not, if Louisville’s administration and athletic department is in disarray, Brohm might be wise to give it a pass for now and come in after the next guy fails.

But maybe the situation is fine, I don’t know.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

Dream job or not, if Louisville’s administration and athletic department is in disarray, Brohm might be wise to give it a pass for now and come in after the next guy fails.

I'd imagine most coaches wouldn't think of it like that. On the other hand the 2018 Scott Frost experience might give him some pause if Louisville is in awful shape as far as competing on the field next year.

I have no idea if that's the case or not. I'd think it is based on results this year but I know nothing about their roster.

e: It's also not like he's scared of a rebuild I guess. The man is coaching Purdue.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

General Dog posted:

Sorry man - no one will ever take A&M seriously.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

76-37-5

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is that the wounded-killed-MIA count from those bonfires?

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

General Dog posted:

Lol

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

OU-Texas is the bigger rivalry because Oklahoma State is a garbage poo poo program that has never and will never amount to anything, 70+ year old retroactive nattys notwithstanding

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

TipTow posted:

OU-Texas is the bigger rivalry because Oklahoma State is a garbage poo poo program that has never and will never amount to anything, 70+ year old retroactive nattys notwithstanding

I find it disappointing that Okie Lite can't get over the hump because when Gundy has them clicking, they're super goddamned fun to watch.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

General Dog posted:

This seems like a discussion better fit for Rivals, to be honest. Our tastes in BBQ and craft beer are more pressing concerns.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Appalachian is ranked for the first time ever. WE WANT BAMA!

This is how you're supposed to do it right?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Appalachian is ranked for the first time ever. WE WANT BAMA!

This is how you're supposed to do it right?
Yep. :unsmith:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
https://twitter.com/JasonKirkSBN/status/1054932277636091904?s=19

Dear Santa...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Out of all the Turnover <thing>, the plank is my absolute favorite.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Proteus Jones posted:

Out of all the Turnover <thing>, the plank is my absolute favorite.

They still need to do the Dan Rubenstein Turnover Turnover thing, with delicious apple turnovers on every sideline.

But yeah, The Plank is killer.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Check the record post-integration

Edit: 19-17 Ags since 1975, a year picked arbitrarily to best support my point, but also before Oklahoma v NCAA in 1980 something

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 24, 2018

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

Check the record post-integration

Your integration or theirs?

24-19 if theirs.

21-19 if yours.

Not a great point to make. They've still cut your rear end historically. And they integrated before you did.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

And they integrated before you did.

Both were shamefully late, who gives a poo poo

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

Both were shamefully late, who gives a poo poo

I mean, technically all teams were shamefully late. You made the poorly constructed point, friend-o.

Also :lol: on your 'arbitrary date' cutting out a 7-0 Texas run. You bad at dis.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't really care but the conversation made me look up Texas and A&M on wiki, and what is this bullshit on the Texas wiki page?

quote:

Unclaimed nat'l titles 5 (1914, 1941, 1968, 1977, 1981)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

I don't really care but the conversation made me look up Texas and A&M on wiki, and what is this bullshit on the Texas wiki page?

Tryna outBama Bama

• Locked thread