Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://mobile.twitter.com/kingjames/status/293219795552321536?lang=en

Those poor, broke owners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Sure. Those deals were made when the NFL was the only TV category increasing year over year and the price reflected that. Ratings have dropped between 15 and 20% in the last 2 years. The next contract will reflect that. If viewership keeps going down the next contract is going to be a bloodbath.

I probably understated the sport's revenue generation, what I was trying to get at is it's iffy profitability at mid-to-low tier markets which rely a lot on revenue sharing and their chunk of the TV contracts. It'd probably be more profitable for owners to invest their money in something else. Their biggest value is the fact cities can't make new sports teams, so existing teams are that much more expensive. Even the Browns.

Yet you don't see franchise values decreasing to reflect some fear about forward projections of revenue, in fact the mid-market Carolina Panthers were just sold for a record $2.3B. The only financial worry you should have about professional sports franchises is when it will be your local city's turn to have their tax coffers and bond credit pilfered for the benefit of a for-profit legal cartel monopoly. Crying about money is a very obvious and predictable strategy for professional sports franchise owners who wish to accomplish two goals on a regular and recurring basis: extract money from governments and negotiate unfavorable collective bargaining agreements with players.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 23, 2018

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Sure. Those deals were made when the NFL was the only TV category increasing year over year and the price reflected that. Ratings have dropped between 15 and 20% in the last 2 years. The next contract will reflect that. If viewership keeps going down the next contract is going to be a bloodbath.

I probably understated the sport's revenue generation, what I was trying to get at is it's iffy profitability at mid-to-low tier markets which rely a lot on revenue sharing and their chunk of the TV contracts. It'd probably be more profitable for owners to invest their money in something else. Their biggest value is the fact cities can't make new sports teams, so existing teams are that much more expensive. Even the Browns.

TV Ratings are way up again this season and the NFL still hasn't really tapped into digital and streaming markets in any meaningful way yet. Even the smallest markets can make money hand over fist because the biggest expense of a team(player wages) are capped by % of certain revenue streams.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I hope the 2021 strike will be GWM for the players unlike the last CBA

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Tale as old as time. Money burning a hole in a young man's pocket, the allure of owning a 7-11, a hasty decision to buy and the inevitable regret.

Regretting buying a franchise to the point of crying
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/9qrpc3/regretting_buying_a_franchise_to_the_point_of/

quote:

I’m in an extremely dire predicament. I used 20 years of my life savings to buy a 7-11 franchisee and it’s been 4 days since I’ve had it and it’s been a completely nightmare. I want to die. The 7-11 costed me 172000 and the goodwill fee for the outgoing owner was another 70k. I don’t think I’ll ever get a ROI, or at least not until another 20 years later. The retail industry is soo demanding and I just bought myself a job that will have 3 times more hours and 4 times more stress. Is there anything I can do legally to get my money back? I wish I could contact a 7-11 franchise lawyer and know my options before hearing my “options “ from the corporate franchise sales rep. Is there a 30 day grace period?

I’m in St, Louis, MO

Edit: lol, 4 months ago, same poster:

quote:

Hello!

In a dilemma, I am starting a franchise business and my fiancee is spoting me 170,000. Now we don't plan on getting married for another 4 years. The issue is how do we not get screwed by the IRS tax wise. If it's considered a gift and over 13,000 (which it obviously is) I have to pay a federal gift tax on it and if it's a loan greater than 100,000 (which it obviously is) then imputed interest or market rate interest will occur. I have no idea how to go about this without beign taxed which I think is beyond silly since she will be my future wife.

Which is the cheapest option for me and is there an option where I don't have to pay any tax on her spotting me 170k?

Thanks!

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

uh the idea that a sports franchise is unprofitable is complete bullshit and is a consequence of opaque accounting practices and manufacturing losses on the books to create losses for tax benefits. there's been several articles where financial have been leaked and accountants have gone through them and shown how profitable teams really are.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

It only takes looking at the salaries of the top players make to know that it's complete horseshit that they don't make a lot of money. They're not paying those salaries out of generosity. The players have immense business value.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hoodwinker posted:

It only takes looking at the salaries of the top players make to know that it's complete horseshit that they don't make a lot of money. They're not paying those salaries out of generosity. The players have immense business value.

Really the majority of players are probably getting a raw deal and the opacity is part of the negotiation. The NFL shares such a large portion of the revenue that puts most teams on a close level, then institutes salary floors and caps to maintain competitiveness and profitability.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

can we post about people we know?

my dad quit his lucrative career white collar career to move to rural new england and home school my siblings away from scrutiny where he owns 6 horses, a boat that doesn't run (and that he legally cannot operate) and instead of having health insurance uses his mystery income to purchase guns to help defend himself when the urban masses overflow the city slums.

he's also about to be elected to a state office as a republican.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

my dad quit his lucrative career white collar career to move to rural new england and home school my siblings away from scrutiny where he owns 6 horses, a boat that doesn't run (and that he legally cannot operate) and instead of having health insurance uses his mystery income to purchase guns to help defend himself when the urban masses overflow the city slums.

that last sentence sounds gwm though...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lockback posted:

Tale as old as time. Money burning a hole in a young man's pocket, the allure of owning a 7-11, a hasty decision to buy and the inevitable regret.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/9qrpc3/regretting_buying_a_franchise_to_the_point_of/

Assuming they’re US citizens, they probably have lots of room left under the lifetime gift tax exemption. (Plus it’s the giver and not recipient who is taxed.)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

There's a reason the show is called Ozark, it ain't set in New England otherwise all the show's dialogue would be unintelligible

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Lockback posted:

Who can resist the sirens' song of unlimited slushees?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Yet you don't see franchise values decreasing to reflect some fear about forward projections of revenue, in fact the mid-market Carolina Panthers were just sold for a record $2.3B. The only financial worry you should have about professional sports franchises is when it will be your local city's turn to have their tax coffers and bond credit pilfered for the benefit of a for-profit legal cartel monopoly. Crying about money is a very obvious and predictable strategy for professional sports franchise owners who wish to accomplish two goals on a regular and recurring basis: extract money from governments and negotiate unfavorable collective bargaining agreements with players.

Team prices aren't meant to make sense. I think the Braves sold for like 400 million (back when they were still regularly winning their division). 10 years later the Marlins sold for 3 times that despite being miserable. Little about sports economics makes sense (like spending 1.5 billion on a new stadium that see's 8 high profile games a year and then maybe a NCAA bowl game, soccer, and tractor pulls the rest of the time).

DariusLikewise posted:

TV Ratings are way up again this season and the NFL still hasn't really tapped into digital and streaming markets in any meaningful way yet. Even the smallest markets can make money hand over fist because the biggest expense of a team(player wages) are capped by % of certain revenue streams.

Huh, I didn't realize ratings had more or less stabilized, but it doesn't sound like they're way up. What I could find had them down 10% from a year ago or sometimes up 10%. I don't think streaming is going to help in any meaningful way. They might be able to make it work, but it'll be basic cable paydays compared to the current broadcast TV cash.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Financed a dog, $230 for 12 months
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/9qkb1j/a_pet_store_lied_to_us_and_took_out_a_7000_loan/

Something strange going on here, nothing clear about the loan or how his mom cosigned.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Just go full 1488 RaHoWa and watch the safety net materialize, ain't no one in america went broke by betting on racism.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Mariners were purchased by an ownership group mostly financed by Nintendo of America in 1992 for $125 million dollars. They were sold in 2016 for $1.2 billion. That is a 35% annual simple interest rate.

Extremely GWM.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Worked for an illegal grow. Now getting screwed
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/9qul59/worked_for_an_illegal_grow_now_getting_screwed/

quote:

(Throwaway account)

In February of 2018 I agreed to be the main grower and care taker of a marijuana cultivation property in Southern Oregon.

I sign a one-year lease saying I would pay the year amount of $48,000 to rent the house. (I'm afraid he could sue me for this) My boss (whom I'll refer to as Boss) said that that was the way he cleans his money from the illegal grow and that I will not be charged that rent.

Now we're harvesting, hes been accusing me of stealing (which I haven't) Boss has the property from a family trust. He also served me an eviction notice. I left the property and today I went back to try and reason with him about paying me my share. It didn't end well. He kept telling me I'm a thief, and to leave (At this point I WISH I HAD stolen it)

I don't have my medical marijuana growers card. What would be the ramifications for me if I were report this illegal grow to the police. I know that's a lovely way to play it. But this guy is a horrible person. I've learned hes hosed over he last three workers, three years in a row the same way hes screwing me. I spent almost year of my life killing myself for this guy and now I'm leaving with nothing but $4500 in debt from nutrients I purchased to keep the garden going.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I had a friend in a really similar situation (this was many years ago), where he was getting paid in access to land for work he was doing for a small business, and the dude who owned the land and business attempted to evict him right when the pot had fully matured.

He took the loving pot, which is the correct response.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

In this case an anonymous tip is probably a good move.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Krispy Wafer posted:

. Little about sports economics makes sense (like spending 1.5 billion on a new stadium that see's 8 high profile games a year and then maybe a NCAA bowl game, soccer, and tractor pulls the rest of the time).

Makes a lot of sense if you're the team owner and the $1.5B is public money because you've been threatening to move the team to Vegas or St Louis

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

tomapot posted:

Financed a dog, $230 for 12 months
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/9qkb1j/a_pet_store_lied_to_us_and_took_out_a_7000_loan/

Something strange going on here, nothing clear about the loan or how his mom cosigned.

Always quote the post. poo poo's deleted now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Sirotan posted:

Found a great local BWM/tree law super combo:

Brothers face $450,000 in penalties for removing trees from their property

CANTON TWP., MI -- Brothers Gary and Matt Percy could face nearly half a million dollars in penalties for removing more than 1,400 trees from their property without permission from Canton Township.

Township attorney Kristin Kolb said "it was all part of a forest."

"They identified certain plots," Kolb said. "They identified the number or type of trees and did some math to figure out approximately how many trees."

The arborist estimated 1,385 trees with trunk diameter of six inches or more were removed. That could mean $225 to $300 per tree in penalties. Anther 100 landmark trees were also removed, the township estimated, meaning another $450 each.

"Canton Tree Police showed up," said Pattwell. "Canton Township's tree removal ordinance prohibits landowners from removing trees from private property without government permission, which may be obtained by either payment into the township's so-called tree fund or on-site replacement with trees of certain designated trunk diameters.

But Kolb said the brothers were "specifically told at least twice last year" that if they were to remove the trees, they needed a permit.

"(They) never came and got one," Kolb said.

The brothers have not yet been fined, but Pattwell asked the township for a settlement figure, Kolb said.

The township's settlement offer is roughly $450,000. Under the ordinance, the Percys could have received a credit to reduce the fees by paying into the township's tree fund and planting new trees, Kolb said.

The two own a commercial trucking company in Canton Township, as well as Montgomery Farms, a tree specialization company that operates in Albion and Hillsdale, Pattwell said. The trucking company, A.D. Transport Express, has been in the township since the late 1980s.

The Percys' options include: Paying money into the tree fund to plant trees across the township, planting replacement trees or a combination of both, Kolb said.

The Percy's are working to resolve the matter, Pattwell said, but are prepared to take it to court. Additionally, they are moving forward to plant 2,500 Christmas trees on the property they cleared, with 1,000 planted thus far.

The ordinance states:

"Landmark tree replacement: Whenever a tree removal permit is issued for the removal of any landmark tree with a (diameter at breast height) of six inches or greater, such trees shall be relocated or replaced by the permit grantee. Every landmark/historic tree that is removed shall be replaced by three trees with a minimum caliper of four inches. Such trees will be of the species from section

Replacement of other trees: Whenever a tree removal permit is issued for the removal of trees, other than landmark/historic trees, with a (diameter at breast height) of six inches or greater (excluding boxelder (acer negundo), ash (fraxinus spp) and cottonwood (populus spp)), such trees shall be relocated or replaced by the permit grantee if more than 25 percent of the total inventory of regulated trees is removed."

https://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2018/10/brothers_could_pay_nearly_half.html

Nice, love me some tree law stories, especially when they're ten miles from my house!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Dik Hz posted:

It was quoted in the R/relationships thread in GBS. I'm phone posting so I can't point you to it but it's there sometime today.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

Nothing is really ever deleted on the internet..

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Holy loving poo poo he had to get a co-signer for his loving dog loan and then got bilked for two times the price of said dog.

More like a Basset Howned

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Nice, love me some tree law stories, especially when they're ten miles from my house!

You know they sold all that lumber too, gently caress those guys they're just trying to bilk the county. This wasn't just a homeowner clearing some land in their property they're commerical Christmas tree growers.

Bury them under one of the replacement trees.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What kind of communist county doesn’t allow them to own the trees on their own land? gently caress that place.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

All the other tree law stories have penalties 10-100x that much per tree. What gives?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SpelledBackwards posted:

All the other tree law stories have penalties 10-100x that much per tree. What gives?

They owned the land and the trees. This is some sort of HOA level local government loving with them.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
For context, according to my relatives in Michigan near(but not in) Canton, Canton's a town full of upper middle class people surrounded by towns full of working class people.

In other words, the exact demographic for nitpicky HOA-level local governments.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 24, 2018

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I have mixed feelings. On one hand the city is basically pulling some HOA nonsense and telling them what to do what they can/can't do with their property.

On the other hand they knocked down poo poo tons of trees to make a loving giant Christmas tree farm while ignoring the permit process to do so.

I really enjoy how often this is being portrayed as "Yeah they knocked it down, but they are replacing the trees!" and ignoring that it's a loving Christmas tree farm.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Taking down that many trees can impact adjacent property due to changes in runoff etc I'd imagine

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

To me it's a lot like watershed issues; you can say 'oh this is nitpicky HOA stuff', but it's also true that removing trees can have a substantial impact on the surrounding area. Depending on the location, removing 1000 trees could have effects on waterflow and erosion that could impact lots of other people besides the owners. I would prefer that the process provide some sort of exemption for people who are doing stuff like removing a couple dangerous trees from their yard once every twenty years, especially where paying an additional $500 could be onerous. But I have no problem telling someone that before they clear-cut 1000 trees they have to check in with the county to make sure it's fine and either compensate or replace them. Especially when it's clearly part of a commercial project.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Making that cutoff away 6 inches in diameter is pretty extreme though. 6 inches in diameter is not an old growth tree that is irreplaceable.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

therobit posted:

Making that cutoff away 6 inches in diameter is pretty extreme though. 6 inches in diameter is not an old growth tree that is irreplaceable.
Yeah but it’s not like they’re paying irreplaceable old growth tree fines. $320 a tree is pennies when it comes to tree law.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

A 6” dbh tree is like 10 years old and worthless from a lumber perspective. As far as the environmental/drainage impact goes, yeah that poo poo can be important. BWM story: A dude built a koi pond behind his house a couple years ago. He transformed his entire backyard into a garden/oasis style thing, without getting any permits or anything. A few months later when it was time for some of our guys to mow the federally regulated flood protection levee that he had incorporated into this we got to give the Army Corps of Engineers a call to have them drive out and shove their boots up his rear end. He ended up having to completely remove every bit of landscaping and excavating he had done since it was all on our flood control easement and within range of the toe of the levee. Guy pissed away like 50 grand between building it all and then destroying it all a few months later.

insufficient guns posted:

Long-term loans: The fuel that's powering Canadian car sales

"Based on what the dealer offered, she went with a seven-year payment plan, but the salesman pitched her on one extra enticement she couldn't refuse. While checking her credit history, the salesman noticed that she had about $4,500 in student loans on her file. He suggested she roll those debt into her new zero per cent interest car loan."

What on earth. Is this really a thing??
This girl is extremely GWM. Rolling the student loan into a 0% loan and paying it off instantly with cash from the dealer probably saved her like a grand in interest.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

This girl is extremely GWM. Rolling the student loan into a 0% loan and paying it off instantly with cash from the dealer probably saved her like a grand in interest.

Yeah I was thinking 100 out of 100 times you should roll your non-erasable student loan debt into anything else. Worst comes to worst you can declare bankruptcy and now it's the business holding undischargable debt and not you. But I think the story is from Canada or NZ or somewhere so their student loans may be different.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ashcans posted:

To me it's a lot like watershed issues; you can say 'oh this is nitpicky HOA stuff', but it's also true that removing trees can have a substantial impact on the surrounding area. Depending on the location, removing 1000 trees could have effects on waterflow and erosion that could impact lots of other people besides the owners. I would prefer that the process provide some sort of exemption for people who are doing stuff like removing a couple dangerous trees from their yard once every twenty years, especially where paying an additional $500 could be onerous. But I have no problem telling someone that before they clear-cut 1000 trees they have to check in with the county to make sure it's fine and either compensate or replace them. Especially when it's clearly part of a commercial project.

Check out the full article that shows this is in a commercial district with warehouses around it, and used to be a dairy farm. The things clipped from the quote earlier are all the reasonable defenses from their lawyer.

Don’t read the comments though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

StormDrain posted:

Check out the full article that shows this is in a commercial district with warehouses around it, and used to be a dairy farm. The things clipped from the quote earlier are all the reasonable defenses from their lawyer.

Don’t read the comments though.

It seems like if there aren't that many trees around, it would make the trees that are there that much more important...?