Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Moola posted:

loving seriously

I also see a lot of GW kits discounted to the cost they would be NIB+p&p...

Like why would I not just order then straight from the retailer ffs

They think that their assembly + paint job is added value?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

In an ideal world, it should be, because assembling models is the boring part and painting them for painting competitions is the fun part. But it's an imperfect world and lovely people think they can leave their damned mold lines on the model :argh:

why bother even using detailed minis instead of green army men if you're not trying to make a display quality piece out of it?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
"I spent $50 on a miniature and used way too much glue, you can have it for $45"

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Chill la Chill posted:

because assembling models is the boring part

:wrong:

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Some people love assembly, some people also suffer from mental illness, we should show compassion.

I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate assembly, and I *would* pay extra for well assembled models, especially metal. I just don't trust random internet stranger to have done so.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Mugaaz posted:

Some people love assembly, some people also suffer from mental illness, we should show compassion.

I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate assembly, and I *would* pay extra for well assembled models, especially metal. I just don't trust random internet stranger to have done so.

Go play Monopoly.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

because assembling models is the boring part
People bitch at Malifaux assembly but I find it so relaxing that it's my self-indulgence after a hard day's work.
I then shove the completed models onto the pile of procrastination and never paint them because the official art is boring as gently caress.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I like assembly but dislike the thought of even trying to paint because I've painted things before and I'm bad at it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Hello Kitteam?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

drat that's a nice face

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I’m assuming he’s using, like, nail stickers for the chapter badges which is seems like a pretty good solution since they’re probably small (and designed to look good at that native resolution), highly adhesive, and well pigmented.

It’s really pretty well done TBQH.

E: Weird, why did one of these [img] rather than [timg]?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 24, 2018

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Len posted:

I like assembly but dislike the thought of even trying to paint because I've painted things before and I'm bad at it

Everyone is bad at painting. I never understand this argument. How many well painted models have you seen at a LGS? They exist, but it is rare as poo poo. There is noway to skip the phase where your bad at it.

Also that Kitty team is very well painted.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mugaaz posted:

Everyone is bad at painting. I never understand this argument. How many well painted models have you seen at a LGS? They exist, but it is rare as poo poo. There is noway to skip the phase where your bad at it.

yes but I'd like my expensive things that I will presumably be using to not look like garbage. and imo plain plastic and metal look better than my garbo paint jobs

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Mugaaz posted:

I'm pretty good at painting but assembling and converting is still way more fun to do

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I’ve thought of doing guys up like Greco-Roman marble statues*

That or doing them greyscale like WW1/2.

*: The good austere versions we have now, not painted up all slutty like they say they were originally (which just proves that “Hams are the worst and ruin everything” is not a historically recent phenomenon).

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Len posted:

yes but I'd like my expensive things that I will presumably be using to not look like garbage. and imo plain plastic and metal look better than my garbo paint jobs

Unspiration, the post.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Len posted:

Your pain jobs are garbo because you think like this, and not because of some missing genetic trait required for painting miniatures. Raw plastic and metal are not interesting to look at. Hell, even if you think like that, priming them white and dipping them or applying a darktone/nulnoil wash would be a drastic improvement.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mugaaz posted:

Your pain jobs are garbo because you think like this, and not because of some missing genetic trait required for painting miniatures. Raw plastic and metal are not interesting to look at. Hell, even if you think like that, priming them white and dipping them or applying a darktone/nulnoil wash would be a drastic improvement.

My paint jobs are bad because it's not enjoyable and I don't care enough to try and get better but I'll keep pushing my plain figs around on the rare chance I get to play a mini game because I have fun

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
As someone who paints like trash, please put love and care into your little mans to make them look nice, even if you're not very good.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Len posted:

My paint jobs are bad because it's not enjoyable and I don't care enough to try and get better but I'll keep pushing my plain figs around on the rare chance I get to play a mini game because I have fun

1. Not painting because you don't like it - Fine, different strokes for different folks.
2. Not painting because you are bad it - Stupid argument because everyone starts as a bad.
3. Not painting because you don't like it, and you don't like it because you are bad at it - See #2

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mugaaz posted:

1. Not painting because you don't like it - Fine, different strokes for different folks.
2. Not painting because you are bad it - Stupid argument because everyone starts as a bad.
3. Not painting because you don't like it, and you don't like it because you are bad at it - See #2

Painting isn't fun. Because it isn't fun I've never made an effort to get better. I'm not going to make an effort because it isn't fun.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
See #1

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Bury it in the sand looking stuff please.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thats a carpet

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Really dense flock.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Painting isn't fun. Because it isn't fun I've never made an effort to get better. I'm not going to make an effort because it isn't fun.

Is it not fun because you're bad at it and aren't getting the results you want, or is it not fun in general? If it's not fun in general there may be better hobbies for you, if it's not fun because you're bad then spend a month pushing through the being bad until it becomes fun.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Booley posted:

Is it not fun because you're bad at it and aren't getting the results you want, or is it not fun in general? If it's not fun in general there may be better hobbies for you, if it's not fun because you're bad then spend a month pushing through the being bad until it becomes fun.

It's not fun in general. I like assembling models and playing games but painting them is the exact opposite of fun.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm in the same boat. I see painting as a means to an end. Can't say I enjoy the time doing it though.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Too bad lego gaming never really took off, seems like it'd be perfect for you guys

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Too bad lego gaming never really took off, seems like it'd be perfect for you guys

If you don't want to paint, just prime and dip your models. It couldn't be easier, and white primer with dark dip or wash looks pretty good. It pops out all the details that would be lost at least. Can do a zenithal style priming if you want to be lazier, even that is a drastic improvement.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Booley posted:

Or maybe they just like the other aspects of the game? :shrug: Like, the modeling is a huge part, but some folks just wanna make their mans shoot on the battlefield and don't care how their mans look

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ya that’s why I play block wargames. No need to assemble anything and they look classy af

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Death thread is back. Good job pestering the mods, you nerds.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Death thread is back. Good job pestering the mods, you nerds.

you can't talk to me like that. I'm a veteran, I fought for your freedoms

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Fashionable Jorts posted:

They think that their assembly + paint job is added value?

No I'm talking almost as new sometimes still on sprue

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Herr Tog posted:

you can't talk to me like that. I'm a veteran, I fought for your freedoms

Thank you for your service.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

They're fighting to bring back the McRib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

This owns