Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mae's parents are apparently named Stan and Candy Borowski though I don't remember if those names are ever actually mentioned in the game itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Candy's definitely is, and I'm pretty sure Stan's is as well.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Pro click everyone, pro click.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Your Computer posted:

okay so I'm still obsessing over this game, anyone know any streams/let's plays of this game that are worth watching? I always really enjoy watching playthroughs of games I love but I've looked at a few and seen people just run past dialogue prompts and stuff which is like... no

Jesse Cox's playthrough of it he looks for everything he can and reads every bit of dialogue with voices. He spends more time with Gregg than Bea though if that matters to you

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
wait, Void Burger played this? Nice!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :3:

kidcoelacanth posted:

Candy's definitely is, and I'm pretty sure Stan's is as well.
Yeah, Pastor K asks you if you're Candy's daughter and someone definitely also names Stan though I can't remember who. I'm pretty sure both only get mentioned once though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

exquisite tea posted:

Miscat squad.

Voidburger's LP was pretty good.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Just chiming in to say that voiced LPs of text-only games are the absolute worst, no matter who does them.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Nah.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

Voidburger's LP was pretty good.
how many episodes does it take before she realizes she can interact with things multiple times? :ohdear:

I really feel like that's one thing the game could've conveyed better. I figured it out in the first room myself but that's because I'm the type of person who obsessively talks to NPCs until all dialogue is exhausted, but like 80% of the writing in this game comes from inspecting things and talking to people multiple times and it's a drat shame that probably a lot of people missed that. It's not usual in games to have new dialogue every time you inspect something so most people just assume "well I already inspected this" and I think if the game just kinda used a different icon or something to hint at there being more text that would help a lot. :sigh:

Lemon posted:

Just chiming in to say that voiced LPs of text-only games are the absolute worst, no matter who does them.
I don't think it has to be bad but I think the biggest problem with it is that it's easy for people to start to narrate rather than read, if that makes sense? Especially when people starting doing voices and stuff, I feel like they're too preoccupied with that stuff to really take in and understand what the text is saying. It just becomes reading from a script, y'know? It's a shame with games like this because then you often lose the emotional impact.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Exactly. And even the most talented voice-over artist (which most youtubers are not) is not going to give a good performance when reading the dialogue for the first time

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Huh, looking at these playthroughs I just learned that if you skip talking to people you actually get new dialogue and sometimes even the dialogue from the day before + the current day :aaa:

I'm wondering, can you do stuff like befriend Lori and raise the miracle rats even if you skip some days before meeting them?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Huh, looking at these playthroughs I just learned that if you skip talking to people you actually get new dialogue and sometimes even the dialogue from the day before + the current day :aaa:

I'm wondering, can you do stuff like befriend Lori and raise the miracle rats even if you skip some days before meeting them?

As long as you don't wait too long I think it's possible. Actually Lori (and Mr. Chazokov for that matter) have slightly different introductory dialogue if you hold off a little while before talking to them for the first time. It's also possible to skip the fight between Mae and her mom entirely if you just don't talk to her that particular morning.

Finally, if you deliberately fail enough times it's actually possible to do the Mall segment without Mae actually stealing anything (she still convinces Bea to steal afterwards and the rest plays out like normal from there but you do get a different conversation out of it at least).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 24, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Voidburger just ignoring Lori, I can't watch this :negative:

Larryb posted:

As long as you don't wait too long I think it's possible. Actually Lori (and Mr. Chazakov for that matter) have slightly different introductory dialogue if you hold off a little while before talking to them for the first time. It's also possible to skip the fight between Mae and her mom entirely if you just don't talk to her that particular morning.

Finally, if you deliberately fail enough times it's actually possible to do the Mall segment without Mae actually stealing anything (she still convinces Bea to steal afterwards and the rest plays out like normal from there but you do get a different conversation out of it at least).
That's neat! It's still absolutely crazy to me that almost all the good poo poo in the game is completely optional. Imagine going through the game without hanging out with Lori, hearing Selmers' poem, looking at stars with Mr. Chazokov or learning about Bea. I just wonder what sort of impression a person who played like that would have of the game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I've actually done a playthrough where I just did the Bea and/or Gregg hangouts and ignored everything else as much as possible. The game's actually fairly short if you just go through the motions and don't really explore/talk to people that much (in other words, if you ignore the core concept of the game).

Also I'm not sure if it's even possible to do both the Bea and Gregg hangouts during the ghost hunting section so if you're swapping back and forth between them you're going to have to do the Angus one eventually (also if you just swap between the two as you go through the game the ending you get will typically be with the character you started from).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 24, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If there's ever a Night in the Woods 2 it should feature more than two "main" hangout choices. Also should said sequel feature the same cast (which isn't really necessary to be honest) there should be more Angus hangouts and Lori should be a main character (I just thought she was interesting and the relationship with her and Mae changes pretty drastically as the game goes on). She goes from calling Mae "Killer" and kind of being a bit closed off to her to just sobbing and praying for her safety when Mae's in the hospital later on (Mae even invites her to dinner during the epilogue).

Some sort of fast travel system would be nice too but it's not necessary. The dream sequences should be a bit more varied too as "find the musicians" got tedious real fast.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I didn't find Lori M on my first playthrough. My friend started talking to me all excitedly about her and I just had to be like... who?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Voidburger just ignoring Lori, I can't watch this :negative:

It sounds like you dont actually want to watch an LP and rather just want to play the game again lmao

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

It sounds like you dont actually want to watch an LP and rather just want to play the game again lmao
nah I'm mostly joking :v:

I guess what I really enjoy about watching LPs is seeing people experience the stuff that I liked the most so it's always a bummer when they either don't pay attention or skip stuff. With a game like Night in the Woods that had such a big emotional impact, that's kinda the whole point right? Like without the emotional investment I would just be watching someone click through textboxes.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Your Computer posted:

nah I'm mostly joking :v:

I guess what I really enjoy about watching LPs is seeing people experience the stuff that I liked the most so it's always a bummer when they either don't pay attention or skip stuff. With a game like Night in the Woods that had such a big emotional impact, that's kinda the whole point right? Like without the emotional investment I would just be watching someone click through textboxes.

Thats why people were saying "its a bad game to LP. People are always going to miss stuff that you loved, people are going to skip stuff, its just the nature of a game like this.

Might I recommend watching some literary analysis videos done on the game, the subject matter lends itself to that much better than a traditional LP.

Here are a few that I thought were great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjZTA1ikJIo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llvX0Ua15uk

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I mean I've already watched a couple of really good let's plays so I can't really agree with that, but it's true that with the game being so optional-heavy that it's more likely to not have the kind of LP I'd enjoy.

Thanks for the links though, that does sound great. I'll be sure to check them out! :3:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I don't think this was mentioned yet, but Scott Benson confirmed a prequel game is in the works some days ago.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Prequel huh? I'm kind of curious what that's going to entail and when it takes place (Lost Constellation and Longest Night are technically already prequels in a sense). But hey, either way there's a new NitW game coming out eventually so I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I'm not sure I like the idea of a prequel. I feel like we learned everything we needed to know about their past through the conversations held in Night in the Woods. We already learned everything we need to know about Mae and her three friends and I'm skeptical that another game based around them would do anything to enhance our experiences with them. I think it would cheapen it.

Don't get me wrong. Whatever they put out, I'm gonna buy it and play it. I'd just rather see them make a new game in the same style that focuses on other characters. Wouldn't even need to take place in Possum Springs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Master Twig posted:

I'm not sure I like the idea of a prequel. I feel like we learned everything we needed to know about their past through the conversations held in Night in the Woods. We already learned everything we need to know about Mae and her three friends and I'm skeptical that another game based around them would do anything to enhance our experiences with them. I think it would cheapen it.

Don't get me wrong. Whatever they put out, I'm gonna buy it and play it. I'd just rather see them make a new game in the same style that focuses on other characters. Wouldn't even need to take place in Possum Springs.

Yeah, a game with a new cast set in the same universe probably would have been better in this case (also they'd probably have to put it really far in the past in order to not step on the original's toes that much). To be fair though, we don't know for sure if Mae is even going to be the main character this time around as it could take place before the original but still focus on somebody else. But regardless I'm still curious about what they've got planned and hopefully it'll turn out decent.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Twist: The prequel will be about Mae's grandfather and the mines.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Yeah, I think I'd much rather see a new story rather than a prequel. You could even focus on some of the side-characters like Germ or Lori instead. But I'm gonna trust them to just put out a good story, if nothing else.

ymgve posted:

Twist: The prequel will be about Mae's grandfather and the mines.

I think that would actually be pretty interesting.

Have the Janitor follow him around too.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Play as Mrs. Miranda and turn your late husband into a mummy while a spooky version of Robot Builder plays.

Did you know that the game has a partial Italian translation in it? Even the songs were translated. I can pull out Italian Weird Autumn and post it here if you're interested. There's also a bunch of alpha version and ancient placeholder stuff still left in, including design notes in the form of rough block diagrams of a tunnel under the grave you wreck and being able to actually talk to NPCs in the dream sequences.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another possibility could be seeing what Bea, Gregg and Angus were up to while Mae was at college. Hell, you could probably still do a game about one of the side characters like Germ or Lori even if it is a prequel.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
A story about what went on while Mae was away would also be pretty cool. We only ever got the cliffnotes of what happened with Bea, Gregg and Angus during that time. Hell, maybe we could even get a glimpse of Casey and what he was like.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Question is, would Bea or Gregg make the better player character in that case? The former has a bit more going on with her which could be mined for drama but Gregg would probably make a little more sense if you wanted gameplay simillar to the original (Bea has way too much on her plate to just be wandering around town on a daily basis).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 27, 2018

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

A story about what went on while Mae was away would also be pretty cool. We only ever got the cliffnotes of what happened with Bea, Gregg and Angus during that time. Hell, maybe we could even get a glimpse of Casey and what he was like.

Actually, playing as Casey is the way you make it work. He's a cat, so he can jump around and explore like Mae does. You would be able to interact with the main gang and have it make sense. He's the character that would stand the best to be able to explore his character and tell his story. The game would have to have a tragic end, but I think it could work really well. I think if there's a prequel story to be told in Possum Springs, it's Casey's.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Seeing Casey's journey would def be one way to go. Our knowledge of how he ends up would definitely tinge all of his actions and interactions in a different light than if we didn't have that foreknowledge.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
From that post:

quote:

To clarify on the prequel game--

This is the Kickstarter Backer supplemental game. So, think something along the scope of Lost Constellation. So far the only indication we have as to what the prequel game focuses on is that sometime after NITW's release, Alec let slip that it would focus on the Killer Incident. Whether or not this is still true now that it's actually happening, is yet to be seen, but it's so far the only info we really have to go off of.

Oh, that and that Scott thinks the prequel game is "very cool" and that Alec considers it kind of a way for everyone (them and the fans) to have one final goodbye to the characters and world for the foreseeable future.

If it ends up being about that, I really wonder how they'll do it without it being kinda... Eh. Like someone else said, I think they really have told everything that needs to be told and it's weird to make a prequel.

What does it mean that it's a Kickstarter backer game? I didn't back the game because I had no idea it even existed so I hope it doesn't mean it's exclusive to backers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Master Twig posted:

Actually, playing as Casey is the way you make it work. He's a cat, so he can jump around and explore like Mae does. You would be able to interact with the main gang and have it make sense. He's the character that would stand the best to be able to explore his character and tell his story. The game would have to have a tragic end, but I think it could work really well. I think if there's a prequel story to be told in Possum Springs, it's Casey's.

That actually works better honestly, it wouldn't have a happy ending of course but I'd be interested in seeing more of what Casey was really like (all we really have to go on from the first game is a missing poster and word of mouth).

Your Computer posted:

From that post:

If it ends up being about that, I really wonder how they'll do it without it being kinda... Eh. Like someone else said, I think they really have told everything that needs to be told and it's weird to make a prequel.

What does it mean that it's a Kickstarter backer game? I didn't back the game because I had no idea it even existed so I hope it doesn't mean it's exclusive to backers.

Oh, if it's just another supplemental game that's slightly less interesting. Hopefully it'll be made available to non-backers at least though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 27, 2018

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Play as some high school kid, go through some stuff, deal with it responsibly, then get your face bashed in by Mae at a softball game.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Play as some high school kid, go through some stuff, deal with it responsibly, then get your face bashed in by Mae at a softball game.

Make it so that they're, like, compulsively nice and generous to everybody. Much in the same way that sometimes you only had lovely options with Mae.

Make it impossible to retcon the story in any way into making them deserve it in the slightest.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I honestly would have preferred a full fledged game and we don't really need to know any more about the Accident as Mae described it pretty well in the first game.

But if it's about as long as Lost Constellation if not longer that might be ok. Hopefully this will be decent regardless though.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I'd be interested in a setting going back thirty years, where we have the hindsight watching the dumpster fire in slow motion eating up the town.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Something about Mae's grandfather could be neat (if you listen to Miss Rosa's stories you learn that he was a bit of a hellraiser too back in the day).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

In that kickstarter update they also mention the animated shorts again. The new plan is to have each of the remaining three done by a different animator -- but they will still be parts of the same story. No ETA, but it is heavily implied that future Kickstarter updates will contain more info about those.