Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
It's still completely stunning to me that I had such a vastly different experience in the Navy compared to most everyone else. Maybe that's why they started hiring more civilian dental assistants, they realized DTs were just too happy and they had to kill our spirit by making us miserable HMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Well NSW, medical and aviation all kinda sorta acknowledge the fact that their people are actually people, some of the time anyway. Surface Navy would rather have shiny brass and pampered Officers then combat effectiveness or morale.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's solely because they're more difficult to replace than the average dude who guessed his way to a reasonable ASVAB score after tying his own shoes like a big boy.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Sarah posted:

It's still completely stunning to me that I had such a vastly different experience in the Navy compared to most everyone else. Maybe that's why they started hiring more civilian dental assistants, they realized DTs were just too happy and they had to kill our spirit by making us miserable HMs.

Kind of makes me think of when they jammed all the SK, PC, DK, and AK into the new LS community. Had a guy cross-rating into Intel from PC who absolutely loved his job when he deployed IA just running mail at some random FOB. Same with CTA -> YN and CTM -> IT, you are taking these people with very specialized skills and jamming them into these overmanned generalist communities and who would guess that everyone in those communities is garbage.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I want to know why they are having dudes on a submarine yell out stupid loving marine bullshit like HOORAH!!!

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I've been kicking this around since they tried to axe ratings. Is it dumb? How could it be better?

Return the old rates, sailors can hold multiple ratings at a time, but each one has specific qualification requirements (like ESWS). You get to wear the one you want that's relevant to your current job. Instead of relying solely on NECs and schools for billet elligibility, personnels ratings and their qualification level within determine what they can apply for, so a PC can still exist, but if there's not enough PC jobs because we closed all our bases in the 90s, he can multiclass pick up LS so he's not useless to the service, but gets preference for PC type jobs over a non-PC holding LS during billet selection.

My thought is that you may retain espirit de corps and tradition of ratings, allow personnel to pursue and communicate areas of preference or expertise, and provide the flexibility the Navy needs when it's clear it no longer needs lithography or it needs to place personnel in skill-adjacent billets. Ideally, it would provide validation to the ETs performing IC work and HTs performing DC work. I'd love to hear where this idea falls apart before I proselytize too much.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Because a lot of folks seem to have no identity beyond their rate and any challenge to this, regardless of positives, breaks their brain

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 17, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Cerekk posted:

Guess who has tickets to the on-base sneak preview showing of Hunter Killer this Saturday.

Apparently Gerard Butler and the director are both gonna be there.

I hope the movie is as good as Battleship.

My third CO (the bad one) was there, he was an advisor to the film.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

The dude who made Das Boot made another sub movie? Could be good tbf.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Saw a sailor from the Nimitz I swear was no taller than 4,6”. Thought he was a child at first in a costume but he had a really terrible mustache so it checked out.
Didn’t think they did height waivers.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Syncopated posted:

The dude who made Das Boot made another sub movie? Could be good tbf.

I just hope they have a scene with an incompetent SWO who thinks he can take down a sub and loses badly. Also want someone to say something like, "If we didn't get rid of the Viking, none of this would happen." or at least something to throw a bone at MPA/ASW community.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
gently caress it. I'm done with this. I'm getting out in July. What do I do now?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Enjoy life?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Not be up at 4am to find out the event was cancelled?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Null Integer posted:

gently caress it. I'm done with this. I'm getting out in July. What do I do now?

Work 40 hours a week and get a reasonable salary?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Null Integer posted:

Go back to school on Uncle Sam's sweet juicy tit. The GI Bill is amazing.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Ron Jeremy posted:

Go back to school on Uncle Sam's sweet juicy tit. The GI Bill is amazing.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

My first orders came in! I'm going to be a link maintenance technician on a DDG out of Norfolk. I wanted Japan, but Europe's cool too. I don't really know what to expect, but I'm excited that I got decent orders. Any tips for an ET3 fresh out of A-School?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Do not let anyone dampen this enthusiasm you have going ever

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

Do not let anyone dampen this enthusiasm you have going ever

Stay safe. Don’t start drinking.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Don't marry anyone unless you've been shacked up for at least a year. Get a cheap car and a cheap place to live away from the Navy. Do your quals and don't get fat or drink too much. Start a savings or brokerage account to save for when it's time to Get Out.

Take a lot of photos.

Not in your classified spaces.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

LingcodKilla posted:

Don’t start drinking.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fred Dawes posted:

My first orders came in! I'm going to be a link maintenance technician on a DDG out of Norfolk. I wanted Japan, but Europe's cool too. I don't really know what to expect, but I'm excited that I got decent orders. Any tips for an ET3 fresh out of A-School?

There are places in Norfolk that aren't 110% Navy dudes, more like a mere 50% max, root them out and hang out there incognito

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Fred Dawes posted:

The link school is in Damneck and is super chill, I think the students there are on 30 section duty lol.

Pay lots of attention to CDLMS for fucks sake.

You will go cranking, if you can try to do your time in port instead of at sea. Try not to forget entirely how to ET.

Like everyone else said do your drat quals ASAP. No one likes an unqualified noob, get your watch stations and 3M done.

Keep in mind as an ET on a small boy you will be expected to work on far more systems than whatever system you got a school for.

I was a link and satcom tech on a CG and a LSD, stationed in Norfolk. Now I'm a contractor for SPAWAR still in the Norfolk area so if you've got questions feel free to PM me.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Dorstein posted:

Don't marry anyone unless you've been shacked up for at least a year.

Calendar or cumulative?

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Thanks for your helpful tips! I'm not much a drinker, so my main focus after getting qual'd is finding a high-achieving peer group and learning as much as I can about my job(s).
In the mean time, I need a new phone. What carrier is best for Europe / South-West Asia? The Google Pixel 3 looks really nice right now...

e: Went with the Pixel 3 128GB / Project Fi. Will arrive next month.

Fred Dawes fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 25, 2018

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

McNally posted:

Calendar or cumulative?

getting married on new years eve #soblessed

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

you never ask if you should enlist with a degree, you just do it because patriotism and then your XO walks around the woods naked and drunk and your branch transfer gets nixed because Trump wants a bigly Navy, so then you babysit fat kids, to include one who doesn't hide they watch hentai

:911:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fred Dawes posted:

Thanks for your helpful tips! I'm not much a drinker, so my main focus after getting qual'd is finding a high-achieving peer group and learning as much as I can about my job(s).
In the mean time, I need a new phone. What carrier is best for Europe / South-West Asia? The Google Pixel 3 looks really nice right now...

Just buy an unlocked phone directly from the manufacturer. International models come with more than one sim card slot. I just bought cheap sim cards when I pulled into random ports. Otherwise the Google Fi thing isn't a terrible idea.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Fred Dawes posted:

Get your pin, don’t drink the koolaid, try to keep positive and find some hobby you can do while at sea.

And don’t drink.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Fred Dawes posted:

My first orders came in!

Okay...

Fred Dawes posted:

I'm going to be a link tech

Oh no...

Fred Dawes posted:

out of Norfolk

Unfortunate.

Fred Dawes posted:

I wanted Japan

I wonder why?

Oh right.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Fred Dawes posted:

e: Went with the Pixel 3 128GB / Project Fi. Will arrive next month.

T mobile military plan offers overseas 3g data and voice in 210 countries.

E:. My pixel 3 xl just arrived at my house on Monday. I'm impressed, but my last phone was a 2013 moto x.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
google fi is nearly any country you will end up at the same flat rate

https://fi.google.com/about/faq/#international-usage-2

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
If you don't want the absolute top phone check out the Moto G6. I can't speak highly enough of this thing. It's a 95% solution with a bit worse camera

It has a headphone jack, works on Fi and I can buy 3 of them for the price of 1 pixel 3.

Nyn
Oct 23, 2018

Fred Dawes posted:

Get ready to stand ESS all night while the OS’s gently caress up link every hour.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Dorstein posted:

Don't marry anyone unless you've been shacked up for at least a year.

Make sure that year includes a deployment.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
As said, get your 3M quals, the higher you can the better, CSOSS too, it's a good deal to have CSOOW Qual whether or not you stand it.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Thronde posted:

As said, get your 3M quals, the higher you can the better, CSOSS too, it's a good deal to have CSOOW Qual whether or not you stand it.

CSOOW on a DDG is endgame content but yeah that's definitely the goal.

Nthing the don't drink the coolaid bit. It's a job not an identity.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Do what you say, say what you mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Understand regulations to the letter, know their article numbers and be able to quote them like the Bible, and be well stocked for any underway or deployment. Do dry runs to determine the poo poo you need on cruise, find out if the ship has it, and if not, get to stocking.

First rule is salt, pepper, and hot sauce, branch out from there.

Learn to skate without loving the people that actually do work in your shop. Get in quick with the people that actually get work done and distance yourself from those that don't.

Learn the 3M and DC regs and procedures as quick as possible. Get qual'd as quick as possible. Depending on when you get to your shop this won't be possible. Be patient and focus on learning the manuals.