Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Darth Walrus posted:

Incidentally, is there any meaningful tension or conflict in Slime? I know a bunch of folks seem to like it, but it sounds suspiciously like one of those 'overpowered protagonist bulldozes through everything, fixes everyone's problems with the dozens of superpowers they've pulled out of their rear end' shows, and I tend to find those pretty boring even when the power-fantasy they're fulfilling isn't outright reprehensible.

There's conflict, but Rimuru is absolutely overpowered too. It manages it in a charming way though that I don't find boring personally, but yeah objectively speaking, there's only a few edge cases where Rimuru doesn't hold the upper hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Incidentally, is there any meaningful tension or conflict in Slime? I know a bunch of folks seem to like it, but it sounds suspiciously like one of those 'overpowered protagonist bulldozes through everything, fixes everyone's problems with the dozens of superpowers they've pulled out of their rear end' shows, and I tend to find those pretty boring even when the power-fantasy they're fulfilling isn't outright reprehensible.

Nah, I'm sticking with it mostly because it's rather funny and well-animated and because it seems like a rather good-natured sort of power fantasy. Less "what if you were the ultimate badass" and more "what if you had the ability to see lots of cool places and help lots of cool people."

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
is there any meaningful tension or conflict in Dragonball? doesn't Goku just win every time and when people die they either come back to life or end up in king kai's peanut gallery

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

is there any meaningful tension or conflict in Dragonball? doesn't Goku just win every time and when people die they either come back to life or end up in king kai's peanut gallery

In all fairness, DBZ *tries* much harder (and more successfully at its best) to maintain the illusion than Slime cares to.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Goku kinda strains and yells a lot before he wins. Slime and many other Isekais just causally pull a new power out of their rear end and immediately end the conflict without breaking a sweat. I think there's a pretty big narrative difference there.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
In my head I'm watching the dubbed version of Conception and Gilbert Gottfried is doing his worst as the piece of poo poo mascot, but it fits. At least it's not as dumb as Last Period.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Slimedad is extremely overpowered because fighting is not the point of the series. Nor is hardship, really.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Space Flower posted:

I mean, yeah? Goku gets pushed to his limits, screws up, and has to get bailed out by the secondary cast in amusingly ridiculous ways. The first major villain he fights in Z he has to take down by grabbing him so they can both be killed by an old enemy's attack, and the second major one whips his rear end before getting accidentally crushed by his unconscious pre-teen son. He actually doesn't have a fantastic track record against major villains, and they usually come within seconds of permanently killing him and all his friends.

This is also why Kenshiro versus Han was far and away the best fight in Fist of the North Star. No tricks, no bullshit, no 'ha, I was in control all along' moments, just a gruelling slugfest between two obscenely powerful dudes who are both moving so fast that neither of them can see where their hands are and are just punching away in the vague hope that the other dude will fall over permanently this time, or grappling because they know that the first one to let the other guy's arms go free will get maimed.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 24, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

at least with the current slimedad problems they're solved by resources set up previously so there's minimal pulling things out of nowhere. there should be some minor conflict next week and then another lull for a bit before they start getting into one of the main consequences rimuru runs into and then the bigger arc setup of bad stuff happening.

it's still a very light show but i think the anime is compensating for having all this dragged out to 23mins by making it visually interesting and funny, counter to the manga avoiding the issue by being a breezy read.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I did like how Log Horizon flipped around the whole overpowered isekai protagonist thing. Like, much of it was an extended therapy session for people who were having difficulty coping with suddenly being immortal gods, and about trying to get mortals and immortals to comfortably coexist when bad actors were incredibly difficult to get rid of.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Space Flower posted:

Sayin Saga : Piccolo defeats Raddiz.
Vegeta Saga: Yajarobi defeats Vegeta.
Freeza Saga: Freeza defeats Freeza.
Trunks Saga: Trunks defeats Freeza and King Cold.
Android Saga: Cell defeats Androids.
Cell Saga: Gohan defeats Cell.
Buu Saga: Everyone in the universe defeats Buu.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Drinkfist posted:

Sayin Saga : Piccolo defeats Raddiz.
Vegeta Saga: Yajarobi defeats Vegeta.
Freeza Saga: Freeza defeats Freeza.
Trunks Saga: Trunks defeats Freeza and King Cold.
Android Saga: Cell defeats Androids.
Cell Saga: Gohan defeats Cell.
Buu Saga: Everyone in the universe defeats Buu.

In the last one, the universe tournament or w/e, Goku has to team up with Freeza in order to actually beat Jiren, and even then he loses doing it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It might help to think of the slime show as having more of a slice of life tone. There are conflicts in slice of life shows but generally the stakes are fairly low and things will work out ok for everyone in the end and they probably learned something or get along better now because of it.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

In the last one, the universe tournament or w/e, Goku has to team up with Freeza in order to actually beat Jiren, and even then he loses doing it.

My boy Tien keeps getting robbed. Has some of the coolest skills but beats no one past original dragon ball and is non stop training.

Everything Burrito posted:

It might help to think of the slime show as having more of a slice of life tone. There are conflicts in slice of life shows but generally the stakes are fairly low and things will work out ok for everyone in the end and they probably learned something or get along better now because of it.

Way I see it is that the slime show is on the hippie spectrum of the monster eat skill gain isakai nonsense. Problem with the slime one is that he is overpowered for no reason because he stops eating things once he left the cave. In fact he stops all power progression and starts playing city lord for 90% of all the the current manga arcs. There was really no reason to even do the whole rpg game poo poo for him.

Slime Isakai: Lets make peace with everyone! Kills no one and makes friends with all his enemies. Hippie End.
Spider Isakai: Lets eat this entire massive dungeon. Hunts everything she comes across and eats it to gain power. Middle Ground.
Goblin Isakai: Unrelated to being reborn I gain skills from eating. Slaughters everything in sight even humans and enslaves/eats them. Psychopath End.

Then you got the Korean manhwa with the skeleton that is basically doing a Re:Zero plotline without the plot. Although all manhwa are pritty much op garbage with the only one I like being Tales of Demons and Gods due to some nice wuxia fun.

Edit: For below.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 24, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yamcha strongest human

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Apparently they're planning on finishing the Tokyo Ghoul manga this season because the show suddenly has absolutely insane pacing bordering on completely incoherent. Actually it probably is just plain impossible to follow if you didn't read the manga.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Spiritus Nox posted:

Nah, I'm sticking with it mostly because it's rather funny and well-animated and because it seems like a rather good-natured sort of power fantasy. Less "what if you were the ultimate badass" and more "what if you had the ability to see lots of cool places and help lots of cool people."

I doubt any of them are cool, especially the slime that turns into a little girl.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Clarste posted:

Goku kinda strains and yells a lot before he wins. Slime and many other Isekais just causally pull a new power out of their rear end and immediately end the conflict without breaking a sweat. I think there's a pretty big narrative difference there.

yeah it owns that fights don't take 7 billion episodes to resolve. you know they're gonna win since they're the protag anyway, might as well get on with the story :v:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I wish the non--fighting bits of the slime show had as good of pacing as the non-fighting bits of Dragonball Kai, cause it wastes a similar amount of time explaining a bunch of in universe rpg mechanics that will not matter in the same way the OG DBZ wasted our time with padded out fights that did not matter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

counterpoint: sometimes the padded out fights that didnt matter were cool, while explanations of rpg mechanics will never be cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

piccolo vs 17 did literally nothing to advance the plot because cell just showed up and ate 17 anyway, but also it ruled

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

counterpoint: sometimes the padded out fights that didnt matter were cool, while explanations of rpg mechanics will never be cool
And sometimes, a combo happens.

A lovely combo, if you may! :mmmhmm:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
every precure fight has a purpose

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

Agreed, though I appreciate having two different options for getting an abbreviated version if I'm feeling worn down, those being Kai and the original manga.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll always cherish having read the dragonball z manga because it had a panel of vegeta standing in front of five dragon balls while shouting "TAKE THAT FRIEZA, I GOT YOUR BALLS"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

every precure fight has a purpose
But some fights speak to you in a philosophical level. Like using an enemy to beat up another enemy speaks to the beat-em-up-loving fanboy in me.

Or sometimes using an ally as a weapon also works: Bowser hurling Mario as a regular attack in Super Mario RPG rules and I lament that it's not Bowser's strongest physical attack sometimes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there should be a super mario rpg anime, unironically

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i'll always cherish having read the dragonball z manga because it had a panel of vegeta standing in front of five dragon balls while shouting "TAKE THAT FRIEZA, I GOT YOUR BALLS"

having these balls makes me feel something resembling joy i think

it makes me want to caress them

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah I turned it off mid episode because of this, the show is boring as hell. When it's not problems being instantly solved by bullshit RPG mechanics, it's exposition. Yawn.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

yamcha strongest human

Yamcha is walking garbage!!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Slime is cute y'all all monsters.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

yamcha strongest human

That's Krillin.

(Tien is the strongest earthling since he's not human.)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
krillin has no nose and is a cop.

does any of that sound like a human to you

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yamcha is best friends with a shapeshifting flying cat and once hit beerus hard enough to make him flinch

yamcha coolest strongest human

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Latest Kaze was very good, one of my favorite shows in what is turning out to be a very strong season.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Drinkfist posted:

Although all manhwa are pritty much op garbage with the only one I like being Tales of Demons and Gods due to some nice wuxia fun.

his super power is essentially having infinite money. later on he goes to a new world with a different currency system and again acquires infinite money. he uses this to buy a massive army of slaves. also it starts dropping the whole 'i love one woman from my former life and will protect her this time' thing by instead going 'oh actually there are multiple women from my former life and it's cool if i get a harem'.

it's bad.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

That's Krillin.

(Tien is the strongest earthling since he's not human.)

What is he?

I assumed he was just a mutant or the third eye was gained through mystical enlightenment.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nobody cares

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Splode posted:

Yeah I turned it off mid episode because of this, the show is boring as hell. When it's not problems being instantly solved by bullshit RPG mechanics, it's exposition. Yawn.

the first ep being 90% rpg stats exposition while the animators desperately used every single background effect in an attempt to make looking at a slime narrating less dull still couldn't save it from being the dullest first ep i've seen this season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

What is he?

I assumed he was just a mutant or the third eye was gained through mystical enlightenment.

He's descended from some aliens who settled on earth millennia ago.