Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Clothes Have No Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Part 2 of Steven Seagal ep has dropped. Sadly no energy drink but we did get a snippet of Seagal's "blues" album. It's...unexpected.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Today's dollop is as good a reason as any to drop this song inspired by George Lazenby

https://youtu.be/ZUbw9fe49bM

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RandomPauI posted:

Today's dollop is as good a reason as any to drop this song inspired by George Lazenby

https://youtu.be/ZUbw9fe49bM

oh man, this entire time I've had George Lazenby confused with George Formby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfmAeijj5cM

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SalTheBard posted:

I was born in 1981 and apparently Ronald Reagan was my imaginary friend. My Mom used to set me in front of the TV to watch the Gipper speak. I have always had a reverence for Reagan my whole life. I know that he's a piece of poo poo, I hate his politics, but I'm really scared to listen to those episodes :(

its both "better" and worse. basically reagan and nancy were fine with gays and had gay friends but reagan cared more about power and sold them out because the evangelicals were loving monsters.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

Part 2 of Steven Seagal ep has dropped. Sadly no energy drink but we did get a snippet of Seagal's "blues" album. It's...unexpected.

yeah. he is a real gross piece of poo poo. i like that they kept pointing out the fights in his movies, because i noticed it years ago. its always one sided fist fights where he basically tortures the dude for 10 minutes, unlike other action movies where the hero is the underdog.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. he is a real gross piece of poo poo. i like that they kept pointing out the fights in his movies, because i noticed it years ago. its always one sided fist fights where he basically tortures the dude for 10 minutes, unlike other action movies where the hero is the underdog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMByDfFMPcE

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I remember reading that's because his martial art, aikido, is basically unbeatable. Or so he legitimately believes. When he was a big name, he insisted that no one would be able to touch him in a fight because of his superior style and directors tended to just go with it, for fear of upsetting the talent.

This is why I used to avoid his movies before I knew there were better reasons to do so. Being full of poo poo is such a minor ethical crime compared to some of the other stuff you hear about the prick.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
So I have been thinking the Dollop was about MMA fighter and Wrestler Paul Lazenby and was really scared to listen to it after binging Behind the Bastards

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Surprisingly mundane. I did learn something though, so worth a listen.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Not Operator posted:

I remember reading that's because his martial art, aikido, is basically unbeatable. Or so he legitimately believes. When he was a big name, he insisted that no one would be able to touch him in a fight because of his superior style and directors tended to just go with it, for fear of upsetting the talent.

This is why I used to avoid his movies before I knew there were better reasons to do so. Being full of poo poo is such a minor ethical crime compared to some of the other stuff you hear about the prick.

yea it rules. He's basically just a stupid meathead scumbag that's convinced himself he's got a literally unbeatable martial art and because he also was a big star with tons of money he created an echochamber where everyone went along with it.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The absolute best detail about that Seagal episode is that he got extorted by mobsters, while he was armed with a gun, and did nothing about it. They were caught laughing about it on a wiretap later. He encountered a real life version of one of his movies and bitched out (which, in fairness, is what almost anyone else would do).

Rather than making him re-examine his life or choices or beliefs or image, he just appears to have kept doubling down ever since. You really can't make this poo poo up. These monsters are all really that hypocritical and rapey and lovely and dishonest and corrupt.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Not Operator posted:

Which is hilarious as in the BtB episode Seanbaby (who has extensive experience in martial arts) repeatedly points out that Aikido is utterly worthless in an actual fight and the more showy demonstrations require the active participation of the "victim", hence why so far no serious MMA fighter uses Aikido (instead most focus on judo, BJJ, etc).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido#Criticisms

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 20, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I got a 4th hand story a while ago about seagal showing off an unbeatable technique for escaping a choke from the back to a couple bjj guys. they started choking and then seagal punches him in the dick, which probably hurts but doesnt do anything about the actual choke so it tightens and he poo poo himself. I don't know how much of it is true but I'm guessing at least 60%

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Wrestlepig posted:

I got a 4th hand story a while ago about seagal showing off an unbeatable technique for escaping a choke from the back to a couple bjj guys. they started choking and then seagal punches him in the dick, which probably hurts but doesnt do anything about the actual choke so it tightens and he poo poo himself. I don't know how much of it is true but I'm guessing at least 60%

They mention that exact same story near the end of Part 2 of the podcast (with the exact same caveat) so probably around 75%.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

terrorist ambulance posted:

The absolute best detail about that Seagal episode is that he got extorted by mobsters, while he was armed with a gun, and did nothing about it. They were caught laughing about it on a wiretap later. He encountered a real life version of one of his movies and bitched out (which, in fairness, is what almost anyone else would do).

Rather than making him re-examine his life or choices or beliefs or image, he just appears to have kept doubling down ever since. You really can't make this poo poo up. These monsters are all really that hypocritical and rapey and lovely and dishonest and corrupt.

its probably why dictators keep him around, he is big delusional moron who can be easly payed off with women/money and pats on the head. he is also a giant coward. he is the perfect useful idiot. much like trump.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
has the dollop ever covered the oklahoma city land rush? just saw 99% invisible did an ep about it and while i'm sure it's very good i would also like to hear a dollop take on it

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1054680161260453888

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Huh, the latest one on my feed is George Lazenby. Lemme just refresh this and see uhhhh ohhhhh.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It can't be that bad. I'm sure Nauru was a lovely place before they strip-mined it of all the bird poo poo and turned it into a permanent prison for refugees.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 23, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Meanwhile Behind The Bastards is talking about some hack sci-fi writer who started a self help group or something.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Not Operator posted:

Huh, the latest one on my feed is George Lazenby. Lemme just refresh this and see uhhhh ohhhhh.

I know about this thanks to First Dog on the Moon. This is gonna be brutal.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

RandomPauI posted:

It can't be that bad. I'm sure Nauru was a lovely place before they strip-mined it of all the bird poo poo and turned it into a permanent prison for refugees.

there once was an island full of seals and penguins too

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
then it was full of rats

then cats

then bunnies

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
i'm beginning to think we should return australia to the aboriginals

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you would like a more humorous take on L Ron Hubbard, he was "interviewed" for The Dead Authors Podcast. Andy Daly's performance as Hubbard full of insane energy and actual quotes.

http://thedeadauthorspodcast.libsyn.com/chapter-45-part-1-l-ron-hubbard-featuring-andrew-daly

http://thedeadauthorspodcast.libsyn.com/chapter-45-part-2-l-ron-hubbard-featuring-andy-daly

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Wrestlepig posted:

Crotch shots do hurt, but if you're in the fight mindset, your brain is busy with other poo poo. Once the other guy is down, you can then double over in pain.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

RandomPauI posted:

If you would like a more humorous take on L Ron Hubbard, he was "interviewed" for The Dead Authors Podcast. Andy Daly's performance as Hubbard full of insane energy and actual quotes.

http://thedeadauthorspodcast.libsyn.com/chapter-45-part-1-l-ron-hubbard-featuring-andrew-daly

http://thedeadauthorspodcast.libsyn.com/chapter-45-part-2-l-ron-hubbard-featuring-andy-daly

are you trying to enturbulate me

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RandomPauI posted:

I heard this morning they have their own version of BC and AD. It's BD/AD (before/after Dianetics), zeroed at 1950.

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012
The dollop needs to do an episode on Col. James Ketchum more badly than I can explain. It's like if Philip K Dick was a research psychiatrist for the army in the 70s. At one point an entire barrel of liquid LSD appears and disappears, without explanation.

Here's a writeup that doesnt even capture the complete insanity but gets very close: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/12/17/operation-delirium

JuulPodSaveAmerica fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 28, 2018

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Dollop feels like it's on a bit of a slide. Wells Fargo episode was not strong. Last live one was ok I guess though

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 29, 2018

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Wells Fargo was ok when it got going but there’s a lot of financially complicated poo poo that’s all a bit grown up for me so I just had to assume I had to be outraged and depressed.

Nauru was just a horrifically upsetting episode.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
There's a lot to unravel with the whole financial crash, what a derivative is and how sub prime mortages tanked an entire economy also how businesses had zero risk in it all but hey if you guys have questions I can give a solid explanation i know the stuff well(s fargo) enough.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

britishbornandbread posted:

Wells Fargo was ok when it got going but there’s a lot of financially complicated poo poo that’s all a bit grown up for me so I just had to assume I had to be outraged and depressed.

Nauru was just a horrifically upsetting episode.

On the other hand as an aussie I find their Australian episodes boring as I already know all that depressing poo poo. Which is why I'll probably never watch a live show when they come here.
Wait until one day you find out the Aboriginal Protection Board did not actually do any protection of aboriginals but sent them off as indentured servants
not paid, got raped

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 31, 2018

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

New Australia ruled :colbert:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Veskit posted:

There's a lot to unravel with the whole financial crash, what a derivative is and how sub prime mortages tanked an entire economy also how businesses had zero risk in it all but hey if you guys have questions I can give a solid explanation i know the stuff well(s fargo) enough.

isnt the tl;dr on the subprime collapse basically that wells fargo and some other banks figured out a way to create a new financial instrument that they could profit off of, but it turns out that all the people who were really calling the shots manage to innoculate themselves by saddling the lower level grunts with a behemotithic task requiring a lot of due diligence, that no one bothered to actually do because they thought the level below them or other party did it

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

isnt the tl;dr on the subprime collapse basically that wells fargo and some other banks figured out a way to create a new financial instrument that they could profit off of, but it turns out that all the people who were really calling the shots manage to innoculate themselves by saddling the lower level grunts with a behemotithic task requiring a lot of due diligence, that no one bothered to actually do because they thought the level below them or other party did it

Kinda of?

Yes the banks created a new financial instrument to profit off of, but really it made sense. It genuinely did. But there was some perverseness all around...

So lets say you're a bank and you're gambling on a 20 sided dice. If you roll a nine or above you double your money. If you roll a 8 or below you lose it. Basically this was a sub prime loan as far as banks were concerned, so they said I don't want to roll once and possibly lose half even though i have a chance to make money, I rather roll 1000 times. If you roll a 1000 times it regresses to the mean and voila, you're making easy money.

So what the banks did was take a 1000 different sub prime mortages, cut them into 1000 pieces, then rearrage them and sell them. That way you can buy 10000 dollars in sub prime mortages, and diversify the risk for 1000's of different houses, so even if 5 go down, you're not out everything. It's like the dice, if you roll enough you know your risk.

OK so banks don't actually keep the loans. They just, make poo poo happen, then sell it to freddy fannie and all those other government backed places. Government backed meaning the government will guarantee those loans. So the banks know if anything goes wrong, they'll just sell the thing to the government effectively.

Lastly what really did it in is these things were rated the safest forms of investment for S&P. So basically too many houses in certain areas caused these new financial things to get useless and it tanked a lot of investments, then it forced freddie and fannie to have useless investments that the US government promised to pay out and that's how you make a mess this bad.

There was some fraud and opulence by the bankers but really in the end the lack of regulations really killed us

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

To add onto that, banks assumed that each roll of the dice/separate housing market was completely unrelated to every other one. So if one dice rolled 7, it wouldn't cause other dice to roll lower. This had been a reasonable assumption in the past, but that was before the national housing bubble. When a national housing bubble pops, all the houses have a higher rate of foreclosure. So a roll of 7 might just foreshadow a whole streak of 7s. It didn't help that the financial instrument convinced bankers that they were totally protected from small housing bubbles, which made them more willing to lend out loans willy nilly, which helped create a nation-sized housing bubble.

Also, they should do a dollop on Cpt. Marcus Aurelius Arnheiter, who nearly drove the crew of the USS Vance to mutiny before he was summarily relieved of command.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I haven't even listened to the Nauru episode yet. But I knew that kids were attempting suicide by any means, including self-immolation. So I'll probably skip it forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

RandomPauI posted:

I haven't even listened to the Nauru episode yet. But I knew that kids were attempting suicide by any means, including self-immolation. So I'll probably skip it forever.

Dave goes out of his way to explain that the Nauru story is not about the recent refugee crisis, but its about the island's history

Veskit posted:

Kinda of?

Yes the banks created a new financial instrument to profit off of, but really it made sense. It genuinely did. But there was some perverseness all around...

So lets say you're a bank and you're gambling on a 20 sided dice. If you roll a nine or above you double your money. If you roll a 8 or below you lose it. Basically this was a sub prime loan as far as banks were concerned, so they said I don't want to roll once and possibly lose half even though i have a chance to make money, I rather roll 1000 times. If you roll a 1000 times it regresses to the mean and voila, you're making easy money.

So what the banks did was take a 1000 different sub prime mortages, cut them into 1000 pieces, then rearrage them and sell them. That way you can buy 10000 dollars in sub prime mortages, and diversify the risk for 1000's of different houses, so even if 5 go down, you're not out everything. It's like the dice, if you roll enough you know your risk.

OK so banks don't actually keep the loans. They just, make poo poo happen, then sell it to freddy fannie and all those other government backed places. Government backed meaning the government will guarantee those loans. So the banks know if anything goes wrong, they'll just sell the thing to the government effectively.

Lastly what really did it in is these things were rated the safest forms of investment for S&P. So basically too many houses in certain areas caused these new financial things to get useless and it tanked a lot of investments, then it forced freddie and fannie to have useless investments that the US government promised to pay out and that's how you make a mess this bad.

There was some fraud and opulence by the bankers but really in the end the lack of regulations really killed us

Yeah I meant to add a line at the end that basically a lot of people did the bare minimum to cover legal liability and that it was really the lack of regulation.